Just off Liberty - unruly children a real problem!

LOL, thanks everyone for having my back on this. I am awestruck by how enabled some children are to behave badly. As an elementary school teacher, I have to overcome parenting like this every day.

I have often found that a child who is corrected - in a respectful, gentle way - for their behavior will respect you and learn from their mistakes. And that is precisely the way I would "speak" to your child. Sheesh. It's vacation people, I'm not riding around on a broom scaring children.

Big Like for this one.

Those of us who teach or deal with children not their own a daily basis see things that would give most parents a heart attack. The toddler climbing the railing above a 30 foot drop comes to mind in my case. If mom saw him before I grabbed him, we would have had to call the EMTs for her. He escaped from her in about 2 seconds

As far as running goes, if I had a dime for every time I told a child to stop running at the library where I worked, I'd be cruising a lot more often.:D

I've had 2 parents "speak" to me because i dared to correct thier child because they were too busy to do it. One of the kids did a face plant running down the steps not 15 minutes later. The urge to yell I TOLD YOU SO at the top of my lungs was stifiled by my librarian training

see?

even the teachers and those that work with kids seem to put all kids in to one "class".

when my youngest graduated grammar school, a teacher whom she had over 3 different years out of 8 grades came over and thanks me for our "partnership".

but with all the work i have put into being a parent, i refuse to allow my kids to be thrown into that one "class". and no, they will not be disciplined by strangers. and yes, they will join me in all areas of the ship that does not prohibit them, like steakhouses, pubs, etc.

and which kid are you looking at that just splashed you, walked into, or ran past? you will never know. the same goes for adults.

I hope that what you have to say will be an apology for your kids unacceptable behavior, and assure him that the children will be spoken to teach them that they should respect other people. And that you will tell your kids that there is a time to play and that time is not when it could accidentally hurt others.

I hope that's what you have to say.

To the OP, "fare thee well" Mom.

Sorry, but I still have to do the "stink eye" or firm "stop" to misbehaving darlings if they are about to run into me or injure themselves. I don't care if a parent yells at me or not. Sadly, a few parents on here need to learn the meaning of RESPECT.

I do go out of my way to compliment well behaving children and their parents. "What nice manners you have" goes a long way as positive reinforcement. Most children are nice and charming. It's too bad the "brats" get most of the attention.

Lib

It saddens me that there is another child bashing thread to take the place of the other thread. My attention is usually on the well behaved children and there are many.

I don't see this as a child-bashing thread. It is about poor parenting. About parents who don't do their job. Parents who don't teach their kids manners, responsibility for their actions, respect for others. Most people don't have a problem with children in general. Their problem is with bratty, unruly, disrespectful children.

and i will teach my children to tell you where to go when you try to "speak" to my children about anything

speak to my kids, and i'll be speaking to you.

Aabsolutely not.

it is not my job to discipline other's kids, and it is not theirs to discipline mine. i have taught them since they were young that strangers have no power unless designated by me, so it would be a waste of breath.

and that stranger has no idea that when i am on board a ship, my kids are never out of my sightline.

Wow! :eek: It's parents like you 2 that are exactly the problem and the reason why those hellions act as they do.

Please do us all a favor and list your upcoming cruises so that those of us who who are respectful and mannerly can be sure to steer very far away. SMH

I must be the luckiest cruiser out there. In the 15 cruises I have taken on Carnival, I can't recall a single incident of unruly behaviour everyone talks about and I have taken two cruises at March break and two in the summer with my own four kids.

I don't see this as a child-bashing thread. It is about poor parenting. About parents who don't do their job. Parents who don't teach their kids manners, responsibility for their actions, respect for others. Most people don't have a problem with children in general. Their problem is with bratty, unruly, disrespectful children.

The crazy thing is, on our last cruise in August, I don't remember bratty kids. Sure I came across kids that forgot to walk, kids that sat on the stairs, or kids that bumped into me. If I said "Excuse me." They immediately apologized.

I don't consider it poor parenting that the kids dared do such things in the first place. They aren't little adults and shouldn't be expected to act like them. My kid was taught not to be a nuisance but while he was in the learning phase, he made mistakes.

I must be the luckiest cruiser out there. In the 15 cruises I have taken on Carnival, I can't recall a single incident of unruly behaviour everyone talks about and I have taken two cruises at March break and two in the summer with my own four kids.

that's because most of them only exist in kid haters minds.

I agree , I have seen a couple unruly kids but the overwhelming majority where very good

It's nice to families having a good time

For people who don't like kids there is plenty of choices out there

No.......it's because MOST people (responsible people like Margarita Mom) on a cruise with four children of their own are totally focused on their OWN four children to notice what other people's children are doing. However the rest of us have to contend with the children of the few irresponsible parents who are NOT focused on their own children's actions and behavior.

see?

even the teachers and those that work with kids seem to put all kids in to one "class".

when my youngest graduated grammar school, a teacher whom she had over 3 different years out of 8 grades came over and thanks me for our "partnership".

but with all the work i have put into being a parent, i refuse to allow my kids to be thrown into that one "class". and no, they will not be disciplined by strangers. and yes, they will join me in all areas of the ship that does not prohibit them, like steakhouses, pubs, etc.

and which kid are you looking at that just splashed you, walked into, or ran past? you will never know. the same goes for adults.

OK, seriously you need to stop because you are obviously just flaming this thread. If your kids are joining you in all areas of the ship that does not prohibit them, then we obviously aren't talking about you. Why are you taking this personally when you so obviously aren't one of the parents who let your kids run amok?

I agree , I have seen a couple unruly kids but the overwhelming majority where very good

It's nice to families having a good time

For people who don't like kids there is plenty of choices out there

The majority of the posters on this thread absolutely do NOT hate children and most have children of their own (including me). On the contrary, the majority of us love children.......just children who have parents responsible enough to not let them run wild on a cruiseship with no supervision with the possibility of them even causing injuries to others.

OK, seriously you need to stop because you are obviously just flaming this thread. If your kids are joining you in all areas of the ship that does not prohibit them, then we obviously aren't talking about you. Why are you taking this personally when you so obviously aren't one of the parents who let your kids run amok?

because there are more parents that don't let their kids run amuck.

and i will not allow my kids to be lumped in with "all kids are terrors" mind set.

and no one can differentiate the two on board by sight.

and take a look at the posts above directed at me. i'm the "good parent" (in my mind) with the "good kids" (in my mind) , and i'm being told to publish my sail dates so "they" can avoid me.

and i will not allow my kids to be lumped in with "all kids are terrors" mind set.

You can tell by their behavior though, so you have nothing to worry about.

I find most kids to be well behaved and even the less that perfect ones, are just letting go , still less bad than adult drunks. Of course there is always that 1% and depending on how rotten they are, they can be unforgettable.

Of course one can differentiate. I am not judging any child by their character, that being a "terror" or a "good" kid. I judge by the behavior that presents itself at the time. If a child runs past me at the pool 3 times and steps on my pool bag each time, I might ask them on the 4th pass to please not do that again. What's the big deal? It's not a terrible kid, just a behavior that I would like to not happen again.

What's with the overreacting here? Most of us are parents here, no one said "all kids are terrible," but children who are so out of control that it is impacting another person's well-earned vacation should stop that particular behavior. Yes, it's always best when their own parents can see that their children are impacting someone else's enjoyment, but if they don't, what's the big deal here?

Thats unruly kids haters....And I can see why John quotes/ridiclues you in his blog...And a brand new candidate for my ignore list....Dennis

A stretegically placed knee or foot can put a quick stop to kids running down steps or hallway.

Sorry if it is your kid who has to sepnd spend the evening in the ship infimary with ice on his fat lip...know what your kid is doing and you wont have this probelm.

Flame if you wish, I just feel that strongly about it and wouldn't feel any guilt in doing such.

Carnival has a lot of limitations on things that you can't take on the trip but where does it say anything about cattle prods. That'll make those brats behave.

It will have to be a battery-powered one. Electric ones are a fire hazard!

During the summer months Carnival could consider an advisory at muster or on the jumbo tv or even an additional handout reminding parents to supervise their children. For some it would make no difference of course.

Maybe they should convert an area to a timeout room from which parents would have to retrieve their little darlings.

Or better yet, put the PARENTS in time-out if their kids are causing problems.

Archived