Just off Liberty - unruly children a real problem!

So where exactly did he think the kids were running around - on the track? Of course it is somewhere on teh ship, and htere is nowhere that anyone should be running.

There's always a few people on here who I think are just stirring the pot. No one can really think that "kids will be kids" and should do whatever they darn well please on a cruise (ie running, screaming, ruining ice cream machines) unless they have unruly kids themselves who they choose not to discipline. These are the same folks who will say they were great parents and it's just luck of the draw how your kids turn out.

You know what annoys me? The "kids will be kids" crowd refuses to believe that some kids are really good kids. They taunt, and say "your kid does bad things too, but you just don't know about it."

Some people are born with "defective wiring" and the best parent in the world couldn't change the behavior. But most children are a product of the parents and the parenting skills.

I hope that what you have to say will be an apology for your kids unacceptable behavior, and assure him that the children will be spoken to teach them that they should respect other people. And that you will tell your kids that there is a time to play and that time is not when it could accidentally hurt others.

I hope that's what you have to say.

Aabsolutely not.

it is not my job to discipline other's kids, and it is not theirs to discipline mine. i have taught them since they were young that strangers have no power unless designated by me, so it would be a waste of breath.

and that stranger has no idea that when i am on board a ship, my kids are never out of my sightline.

:eek::eek::eek:

This is why I plan on being on Serenity as much as possible. No offense to all the parents out there, but discipline seems to be a lost art.

True, it's a lost art. But if a parent is not at the scene of running, and doesn't see it because they are not there, how could they discipline them if they don't know about it?

Aabsolutely not.

it is not my job to discipline other's kids, and it is not theirs to discipline mine. i have taught them since they were young that strangers have no power unless designated by me, so it would be a waste of breath.

and that stranger has no idea that when i am on board a ship, my kids are never out of my sightline.

I'm a bit confused. Are you telling us that you don't allow your kids act in a manner where they could bump into others, or that it's ok for them to do this?

Because...if you witness "unruly behavior" and do nothing, I would hope the stranger speaks to you and tells you to do something.

So sorry about your Mom.

As far as the unruly children, I agree with you in that parents always seem to think that it's never their kids that are causing the problem. :rolleyes:

Carnival is not good about enforcing rules....they act like they don't want to "upset" anyone. However, their lack of response to the troublemakers offends plenty of other people :mad:.

I usually choose to vacation when schools are in session, as opposed to during breaks, because there are less kids on board.

yes sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm a bit confused. Are you telling us that you don't allow your kids act in a manner where they could bump into others, or that it's ok for them to do this?

Because...if you witness "unruly behavior" and do nothing, I would hope the stranger speaks to you and tells you to do something.

personal responsibility.

i define the acceptable behavior for my kids, and discipline toward it. no stranger would even know what i define as acceptable, or what i even consider unruley behaviour, but my rung is definitely higher than those around me. i would have to expect others think the same.

and i surely can't expect those around me to work to that bar. and one must realize everyones bar is different. i don't define what unruly behavior is on board. nor will the stranger.

and i will teach my children to tell you where to go when you try to "speak" to my children about anything

This attitude is precisely the reason for this thread!

Sad to know there are parents who feel as you do, very sad!

and i will teach my children to tell you where to go when you try to "speak" to my children about anything

Really??? I hope you're kidding. If not, that's pretty irresponsible parenting. It may be wrong for somebody to 'speak' to your child about something BUT a responsible parent should STILL teach their children to respect adults enough to NOT tell them to go to h#@* if they do say something to them. If somebody spoke to one of my children when they were young about running in a hallway or on a cruiseship and I found out they told that adult to go to h^*%, my child would not have seen the light of day for at least a month.......AFTER making an apology.

Wow. This is what is wrong with kids today. When I was growing up, in my town you couldn't get away with anything. If you got caught doing something wrong, not only would the person who caught you would correct you, they would call your parents and let them know what you did. I guess now you just teach your children to tell adults to go to hell? :eek:

Sorry to hear of your family's loss....

as for the kids, this is why we do not cruise when school is out.

I have raised my 2 boys (now 24 and 21) and I am not about to spend my vacation babysitting someone else's.

Perhaps some of the ship photographers who are not busy at the time could snap some photos of the misbehaving kids and have a wall of shame at the photo gallery!

HA! That is a great idea!

This is one of my great pet peeves everywhere I go, not just on cruise ships. Parents who dont pay attention to their kids in: amusement parks, restaurants, church, National Parks, the beach, museums, cruise ships, the list goes on. Some parents think that just because they allow children in it's like a big Chuckie Cheese. Unfortunately it's epidemic and there aint much to be done about it. I usually give them a little whisper under my breath if they get too close, kids seem to be scared of me. At least my own are! LOL.

To the OP, sorry about your loss, hope that your dad is feeling better now.

Yeah I'll bet your little "darlings" never would do that...Because you taught them so well to respect other people... Dennis

Sorry to hear of your family's loss....

as for the kids, this is why we do not cruise when school is out.

I have raised my 2 boys (now 24 and 21) and I am not about to spend my vacation babysitting someone else's.

Perhaps some of the ship photographers who are not busy at the time could snap some photos of the misbehaving kids and have a wall of shame at the photo gallery!

Like! :D

ok, to start with I think anyone who goes on Carnival and expects it to be stuffy like some other lines doesn't really understand what they have booked. I enjoy the kids running and having fun up and down the decks, staircases, or any other place they choose..... enjoy it kids your only young once. I also enjoy watching people drinking at the bar as well so maybe it's just me. if anyone is looking for me I will be the one on the liberty on 8/11 running with my kids.:p

Thanks for the heads up. We'll be sure to stay away from Carnival if it means that you equate "stuffy" with proper behaviour, proper manners, consideration for your fellow passengers etc.

So when they run into me and injure me, causing me to be medivaced and ending a long anticipated vacation prematurely, you'll pay the $250,000 bill without be having to resort to suing you, right.

Aabsolutely not.

It must get very crowded in the toilet. Don't you shower on a cruise? Hope I'm never at your table or get in an elevator with you:)

Let me know how the stranger has no power thing works out when they ignore the stranger policeman, TSA guard or store employee even.

Oh wow. What a class act you are. You must be a real treat to know, and I bet people love to travel with you and your kids.

LOL, thanks everyone for having my back on this. I am awestruck by how enabled some children are to behave badly. As an elementary school teacher, I have to overcome parenting like this every day.

I have often found that a child who is corrected - in a respectful, gentle way - for their behavior will respect you and learn from their mistakes. And that is precisely the way I would "speak" to your child. Sheesh. It's vacation people, I'm not riding around on a broom scaring children.

LOL, thanks everyone for having my back on this. I am awestruck by how enabled some children are to behave badly. As an elementary school teacher, I have to overcome parenting like this every day.

I have often found that a child who is corrected - in a respectful, gentle way - for their behavior will respect you and learn from their mistakes. And that is precisely the way I would "speak" to your child. Sheesh. It's vacation people, I'm not riding around on a broom scaring children.

Oh...we're with you.

You know, they say apples don't fall far from trees, and unfortunately there seem to be a lot of rotten apples on some of these Carnival cruises.

And you would say nothing to someone else's unruly kid who bumped into you, causing you to drop your very expensive camera?

with my mass, it's the kid who is going down. and dw is the photographer in the family. she is so forgetful, the camera is probably home on the bed.

I work with children at a school as well and its sad to see even on here we have the type of parents who instruct their children to tell others to "go to hell", even if they are acting improperly. No wonder some kids are rotten, the apple doesnt always fall far.

Archived