Just off Liberty - unruly children a real problem!

I think that "powder keg" is going to have to answer to me. I will defend my child against any stranger that is meddling in my business any day of the week.

it seems that some would let that child fend for themself.

others suggest they would trip them.

scary stuff.

I think that "powder keg" is going to have to answer to me. I will defend my child against any stranger that is meddling in my business any day of the week.

You are missing the point of this thread. Children must behave properly if they are to be in public on their own. In the proper circumstances I have asked a child to behave. This is not meddling in your business. Your child has made it my business, what you do is of course up to you.

One of your screen names has suggested that your children are held to a higher bar than the rest. If that be the case, they will never run into anyone, keg or not. So you don't have to posture.

Reminds me of the story of the deputy pulling a car over with two young men in it. The driver is smart alecky and the deputy educates him a few times with his 5 cell. Then the deputy walks around the car and pops the passenger a few times. The passenger asks, what was that for? The deputy says I gave you your wish. If I had not paid some attention to you, you would have said as you drove away, "I wish he had done that to me!"

Honestly, reading this thread it's not hard to understand where all this "childish behavior" is learned.

If it so happens that I correct your child and, while doing so you take issue with me, you very well may be embarassed in front of your child.

My reasoning is that if you are close enough to witness me correcting your brood, you really should have beat me to the punch. No pun intended.

It's just not fair to expect innocent folks to accept your lack of parening skill.

My grandfather once told me, "There's a sucker at every poker game. If you're playing and can't tell who this 'sucker' is..."

YMMV

"kids will be kids" and "boys will be boys" are cop outs. I hear both often.

Just because they're kids does not mean they have to be disruptive and disrespectful.

i agree, if they're acting in a manor that it disrupts my vacation.....it is my business. the parent needs to step up and take responsibility for their child.

children use to be taught "socially acceptable behavior". Not so much anymore, but mostly because their parents don't know it either.

Honestly, reading this thread it's not hard to understand where all this "childish behavior" is learned.

If it so happens that I correct your child and, while doing so you take issue with me, you very well may be embarassed in front of your child.

My reasoning is that if you are close enough to witness me correcting your brood, you really should have beat me to the punch. No pun intended.

It's just not fair to expect innocent folks to accept your lack of parening skill.

My grandfather once told me, "There's a sucker at every poker game. If you're playing and can't tell who this 'sucker' is..."

YMMV

not if what they are doing i find perfectly acceptable.

some kids swear like truck drivers. i might object to that, whereas, their parents use a swear word every other word.

who is wrong?

and who are you to correct my child?

myob

First, to the OP, my condolences in the loss of your mother. I'm so glad that your family was able to fulfill her wishes and have that special tribute to her. I lost my mom 7 years ago, and it is such a difficult thing to go through. My dad took our family on a cruise 6 months after her passing, and it was a special time together.

I've read a good number of the posts (but admittedly not all of them) regarding posters' opinions on child behavior and the parents charged with raising them. I'm a little surprised that some of you threaten to harm children in response to their misbehavior (kind of makes you wonder what additional behavior they may learn), and I'm also concerned that you judge parents so thoroughly and negatively based on the kids' actions while on vacation.

What bothers me most about it is something that happened on my very recent cruise on the Legend. We took my son, who turned 11 on the cruise, to celebrate his birthday. On his actual birthday, after we had sat down at the table in the MDR, we decided to allow him to have a soda at dinner (this has NEVER happened, so it was a big deal that made him very excited), but he realized he had left his soda coupons his aunt gave him in the cabin. He asked could he go get them. He had explored the ship a bit and knew his way around, so we allowed him to do that. A few minutes later, I was horrified to look up and see him RUNNING back to the table. :eek: You can rest assured, that despite what you may think, this is not appropriate behavior in our eyes, and neither have we allowed or encouraged that kind of thing at home. I gestured for him to stop, and I spoke with him very firmly at the table when he arrived. I also spoke with him about it again when we were alone that evening. But it still bothered me. For one, we had allowed him a little more freedom on this cruise, in fact, even encouraged it. I realized there was a good chance he may have bothered other passengers on another occassion or two as well. I will say that I followed him more than once to make sure that he was behaving appropriately while trying to give him some independence, and I didn't witness anything else so horrifying, except he did step in front of a person one time because she was moving slower than he wanted to move (he wasn't running). I thought he got a little too close, in my opinion, but he didn't bump into or touch the other person.

As if it wasn't bad enough at the time, now I read all these comments that confirm that, had you been there, you would have thought very poorly of me, assured that I am a bad parent who neglects my parental duties. Worse, you would want to trip my child, put him in his place, have him kicked off the ship, give him a piece of your mind, have his picture posted to publicly shame both him and me, and so on. You think he should not be in public without constant supervision.

Here's where I'm going with this (and thanks if you have stuck with me here)...if you have been reading my review, you know that my DS has Aspergers, an autism spectrum disorder. We have spent a lot of time and used therapists to try to teach him social graces, a sense of personal space, and impulse control, issues that some kids with autism struggle with. Unfortunately, it has not "stuck" 100%, although I must say he has made and continues to make huge strides, largely in part to our continued attempts to put him out there. We have always supervised him very closely, to the point that some people blame his "issues" on our smothering him...we can't win. My point is, you have no idea what my child is dealing with or any of the others you judge so harshly by their behaviors. Neither do you know what the parents have or haven't done to try to address the problems and still raise independent children.

If you happened to be on our cruise, I apologize if my son bothered you. He probably didn't apologize (even though we have attempted to teach him to do so), because he is completely incapable of discerning whether or not he bothered someone else around him. He is pretty unaware that others are around him as much as possible, because that makes him feel safer. I also want to tell you that we are trying really hard to be good parents. We are trying to teach him right from wrong, and we are trying to make the best decisions we can about giving him increased independence to practice those things, knowing full well that he will fail sometimes. We know (and we pray) that one day he will have to live on his own and do the best he can to fit in society, to hold a job, and to take care of himself. In my review, some people have told me they are pleased with our parenting efforts and our attempts to show DS new experiences that expand his boundaries. But, then I read the comments some of you have made, and I feel like you think we should either keep him at home or stay with him every minute.

Those children that you consider brats or that you think should be harmed....you have no idea what their story is. You have no right to assume their parents don't care or don't know how to parent. You have no right to assume that you are better equipped to handle their misdeeds than those who know them, those who have raised and loved them for many years before the few days you spent with them. You have no right to puff out your chest and feel powerful through threatening to deal with children who are unruly because their parents obviously cannot. Granted, not all parents are perfect, and we know that because people are not perfect...even you or your kids, despite what some of you would have us believe.

I refuse to keep my imperfect kids home. And they are both imperfect. MY five year old also bumped into someone in the very crowded pool, and I was right beside her - I couldn't have stopped it if I wanted to. I was also right beside her when she wanted to get in the hot tub, so I could guide her in behaving properly there. I am blessed to be able to and to be interested in showing them the world, and I will continue to do so. I will also continue to encourage my son to be increasingly independent and to interact with other people in society, and I will let him fail. I will use those mistakes, should I see them, to try to guide him to do better next time. I personally think that makes me a pretty good parent.

"kids will be kids" and "boys will be boys" are cop outs. I hear both often.

Just because they're kids does not mean they have to be disruptive and disrespectful.

i agree, if they're acting in a manor that it disrupts my vacation.....it is my business. the parent needs to step up and take responsibility for their child.

children use to be taught "socially acceptable behavior". Not so much anymore, but mostly because their parents don't know it either.

why stop at kids? shouldn't all be that way?

would you walk up to an adult to correct them, or even discipline them?

First' date=' to the OP, my condolences in the loss of your mother. I'm so glad that your family was able to fulfill her wishes and have that special tribute to her. I lost my mom 7 years ago, and it is such a difficult thing to go through. My dad took our family on a cruise 6 months after her passing, and it was a special time together.

I've read a good number of the posts (but admittedly not all of them) regarding posters' opinions on child behavior and the parents charged with raising them. I'm a little surprised that some of you threaten to harm children in response to their misbehavior (kind of makes you wonder what additional behavior they may learn), and I'm also concerned that you judge parents so thoroughly and negatively based on the kids' actions while on vacation.

What bothers me most about it is something that happened on my very recent cruise on the Legend. We took my son, who turned 11 on the cruise, to celebrate his birthday. On his actual birthday, after we had sat down at the table in the MDR, we decided to allow him to have a soda at dinner (this has NEVER happened, so it was a big deal that made him very excited), but he realized he had left his soda coupons his aunt gave him in the cabin. He asked could he go get them. He had explored the ship a bit and knew his way around, so we allowed him to do that. A few minutes later, I was horrified to look up and see him RUNNING back to the table. :eek: You can rest assured, that despite what you may think, this is not appropriate behavior in our eyes, and neither have we allowed or encouraged that kind of thing at home. I gestured for him to stop, and I spoke with him very firmly at the table when he arrived. I also spoke with him about it again when we were alone that evening. But it still bothered me. For one, we had allowed him a little more freedom on this cruise, in fact, even encouraged it. I realized there was a good chance he may have bothered other passengers on another occassion or two as well. I will say that I followed him more than once to make sure that he was behaving appropriately while trying to give him some independence, and I didn't witness anything else so horrifying, except he did step in front of a person one time because she was moving slower than he wanted to move (he wasn't running). I thought he got a little too close, in my opinion, but he didn't bump into or touch the other person.

As if it wasn't bad enough at the time, now I read all these comments that confirm that, had you been there, you would have thought very poorly of me, assured that I am a bad parent who neglects my parental duties. Worse, you would want to trip my child, put him in his place, have him kicked off the ship, give him a piece of your mind, have his picture posted to publicly shame both him and me, and so on. You think he should not be in public without constant supervision.

Here's where I'm going with this (and thanks if you have stuck with me here)...if you have been reading my review, you know that my DS has Aspergers, an autism spectrum disorder. We have spent a lot of time and used therapists to try to teach him social graces, a sense of personal space, and impulse control, issues that some kids with autism struggle with. Unfortunately, it has not "stuck" 100%, although I must say he has made and continues to make huge strides, largely in part to our continued attempts to put him out there. We have always supervised him very closely, to the point that some people blame his "issues" on our smothering him...we can't win. My point is, you have no idea what my child is dealing with or any of the others you judge so harshly by their behaviors. Neither do you know what the parents have or haven't done to try to address the problems and still raise independent children.

If you happened to be on our cruise, I apologize if my son bothered you. He probably didn't apologize (even though we have attempted to teach him to do so), because he is completely incapable of discerning whether or not he bothered someone else around him. He is pretty unaware that others are around him as much as possible, because that makes him feel safer. I also want to tell you that we are trying really hard to be good parents. We are trying to teach him right from wrong, and we are trying to make the best decisions we can about giving him increased independence to practice those things, knowing full well that he will fail sometimes. We know (and we pray) that one day he will have to live on his own and do the best he can to fit in society, to hold a job, and to take care of himself. In my review, some people have told me they are pleased with our parenting efforts and our attempts to show DS new experiences that expand his boundaries. But, then I read the comments some of you have made, and I feel like you think we should either keep him at home or stay with him every minute.

Those children that you consider brats or that you think should be harmed....you have no idea what their story is. You have no right to assume their parents don't care or don't know how to parent. You have no right to assume that you are better equipped to handle their misdeeds than those who know them, those who have raised and loved them for many years before the few days you spent with them. You have no right to puff out your chest and feel powerful through threatening to deal with children who are unruly because their parents obviously cannot. Granted, not all parents are perfect, and we know that because people are not perfect...even you or your kids, despite what some of you would have us believe.

I refuse to keep my imperfect kids home. And they are both imperfect. MY five year old also bumped into someone in the very crowded pool, and I was right beside her - I couldn't have stopped it if I wanted to. I was also right beside her when she wanted to get in the hot tub, so I could guide her in behaving properly there. I am blessed to be able to and to be interested in showing them the world, and I will continue to do so. I will also continue to encourage my son to be increasingly independent and to interact with other people in society, and I will let him fail. I will use those mistakes, should I see them, to try to guide him to do better next time. I personally think that makes me a pretty good parent.[/quote']

Thank-you for your story. You sound like a wonderful parent to me. I hope people take the time to read it all and maybe think for one second before they label someone they don't even know a brat. One of the things about society today that really saddens me is people intoleracy towards one another. People just need to chill out.

ok, to start with I think anyone who goes on Carnival and expects it to be stuffy like some other lines doesn't really understand what they have booked. I enjoy the kids running and having fun up and down the decks, staircases, or any other place they choose..... enjoy it kids your only young once. I also enjoy watching people drinking at the bar as well so maybe it's just me. if anyone is looking for me I will be the one on the liberty on 8/11 running with my kids.:p

Thought the end would read "running with my parents." Agreed thanks for the warning not to book that one. You really must be kidding.

why stop at kids? shouldn't all be that way?

would you walk up to an adult to correct them, or even discipline them?

Curious then...how would you feel if someone did not speak directly to your child, but instead went to you (if you were anywhere near by, which isn't normally the case when a child has run amok) and filled you in on the inappropriate or possibly dangerous activity?

Also, how would you feel if someone saw your kid doing something that was truly stupid/dangerous (like climbing on a rail or something like that) and ignored it as it isn't their problem????

In a world where not everyone deserves parent of the year or for the times when even a responsible parent isn't there, someone looking out for another child's welfare is doing what they are supposed to be doing

jmo.

some kids swear like truck drivers. i might object to that, whereas, their parents use a swear word every other word.

who is wrong?

myob

If your child offends me or mine I will correct them. No thanks necessary.

I honestly don't care about your feelings on the subject. If you feel the need to confront me, ante up and take your chances - it's as simple as that.

First' date=' to the OP, my condolences in the loss of your mother. I'm so glad that your family was able to fulfill her wishes and have that special tribute to her. I lost my mom 7 years ago, and it is such a difficult thing to go through. My dad took our family on a cruise 6 months after her passing, and it was a special time together.

What bothers me most about it is something that happened on my very recent cruise on the Legend.<SNIP> I personally think that makes me a pretty good parent.[/quote']

wild applause!

i am reminded to repeat a story i have told before.

my youngest was in the pool, maybe about 6 or 7 at the time, with me not 2 feet away from her, when some kid, looking a little younger than she, was holding her under water.

i "rescued" her, and never addressed this kid, whom i probably could have lifted and catapulted off the side of the ship from that pool had i let my anger control my actions.

i just watched to see who owned him, and finally a father showed up. i made my way over to him, and let him know what his son had done. he immediately turned to the kid and asked if he had done this. i expected to hear no, but was surprised to hear yes.

he lifted his kid by one arm, as disappeared somewhere, never to be seen again, but nor was i looking for them.

now, tell me about stink eye, screaming, yelling, and disciplining a "bump into".

If your child offends me or mine I will correct them. No thanks necessary.

I honestly don't care about your feelings on the subject. If you feel the need to confront me, ante up and take your chances - it's as simple as that.

wrong post

Curious then...how would you feel if someone did not speak directly to your child, but instead went to you (if you were anywhere near by, which isn't normally the case when a child has run amok) and filled you in on the inappropriate or possibly dangerous activity?

Also, how would you feel if someone saw your kid doing something that was truly stupid/dangerous (like climbing on a rail or something like that) and ignored it as it isn't their problem????

In a world where not everyone deserves parent of the year or for the times when even a responsible parent isn't there, someone looking out for another child's welfare is doing what they are supposed to be doing

jmo.

absolutely fine! have the cajones to talk to me with their bravery. bully me, not the kid.

and, btw, life threatening situations are a different story. read my previous post.

thank-you for your story. You sound like a wonderful parent to me. I hope people take the time to read it all and maybe think for one second before they label someone they don't even know a brat. One of the things about society today that really saddens me is people intoleracy towards one another. People just need to chill out.

< like >

and i will teach my children to tell you where to go when you try to "speak" to my children about anything

If the parent won't the village will. Your kids will be doing this frequently from the sound of it.

You might also want to teach them what to say to prison security staff...

who is wrong?

myob

If your child is running into me or disturbing me, then it becomes my business. You say that yours never act badly, so why go on and on about it. This thread was about UNRULY children, not all children. I'm sure that you have nothing to worry about.

Talk about beating a dead horse.

If your child is running into me or disturbing me, then it becomes my business. You say that yours never act badly, so why go on and on about it. This thread was about UNRULY children, not all children. I'm sure that you have nothing to worry about.

Talk about beating a dead horse.

then be brave and make your problems known TO ME, not my children.

then be brave and make your problems known TO ME, not my children.

Not a problem if you happen to be around. If you go way back and read the original post, the problem was UNRULY children running unsupervised on the ship.

I would have no problem talking to you directly if I need too, as I would not be bullied by you or your children. I just don't understand why you are taking this thread so personally when you have already said over and over and over that your kids are not unruly and not a problem to others because you set your bar so high.

Not a problem if you happen to be around. If you go way back and read the original post, the problem was UNRULY children running unsupervised on the ship.

I would have no problem talking to you directly if I need too, as I would not be bullied by you or your children. I just don't understand why you are taking this thread so personally when you have already said over and over and over that your kids are not unruly and not a problem to others because you set your bar so high.

bet she/he didn't know that.

again, you don't know if i'm watching my kid, how would/could you?

i'm only responding when addressed, i believe. and it's a good topic of discussion. one caliber above looking for that pic of the chainmaille dress, eh?

I refuse to keep my imperfect kids home. And they are both imperfect. MY five year old also bumped into someone in the very crowded pool, and I was right beside her - I couldn't have stopped it if I wanted to. I was also right beside her when she wanted to get in the hot tub, so I could guide her in behaving properly there. I am blessed to be able to and to be interested in showing them the world, and I will continue to do so. I will also continue to encourage my son to be increasingly independent and to interact with other people in society, and I will let him fail. I will use those mistakes, should I see them, to try to guide him to do better next time. I personally think that makes me a pretty good parent.[/quote']

Thank you for speaking up. I am the parent of a now 23 year old young man. We adopted him at birth. Unfortunately his birth Mother had many challenges and he was diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome as a toddler. You can not believe how difficult it is to parent a child with that kind of damage. When he was about 5 we took the first and only cruise with him on the Big Red Boat. It had child care, we were hopeful for some alone time. He bit another child, no more alone time. He insulted our table mates. No more eating in the dining room. For the rest of the cruise he was next to us. We never cruised again until now.

He is 23. Finally he is beginning to make use of all the tools we tried to impart to him. He is very polite.(He doesn't bite anymore:eek:). He got his first job recently, part time holding a sign advertising a business. He is very proud of his work ethic. Always on time and got a $25 bonus recently for perfect attendance.

Through the years we were regularly confronted with folks upset at his behavior and we apologized and hung our heads and rededicated ourselves to supervision and parenting.

I guess it really frosts my cookies that parents with children to whom God has given every gift of normalcy are content to allow their kids to behave like little brats and dare anyone to say anything to them. You have such a gift and you toss it aside with little thought to the consequences.

I get some satisfaction knowing how monumental my sons challenges are and how hard he tries to manage them. He now behaves so much better than his 23 year old peers who are drinking, drugging, and generally causing chaos wherever they go.

Good luck to all you who are so offended that someone might challenge your child's behavior. You will reap what you sow..

Archived