Would you ever refuse to pay for a shared private tour excursion?

stipmom

On our most recent Tahiti trip we paid for a couple of private tours upfront.

Ok....it happens...;)

When I sailed to the Med, we all paid the person who organized our

private tours before we left the ship......nobody stiffed anyone

on the tours I took. The person in charge paid the tour operator

at the end of the tour. So in reality, each person did pay up front

but the final payment to the tour guide was at the end.

I can't remember a private tour I have done that EVER asked for payment until the tours' conclusion. What part of the world do you normally cruise where they want it up front?

I've cruised all over the world on 6 different cruise lines and have been booking private tours for the past 8 years, since I leaned about how much you can save over ship tours. Maybe I have managed to find only the most skeptical tour operators around the world but I can only speak for my experiences.

Just back form Hawaii, took about 10 tours from 3 different companies: helicopters, dives, sails, bicycles, etc. EVERY single one required payment first. Some wanted it when you made the reservation, others at time of service. Headed to Bermuda on Sunday and we've rented a private boat, I gave a credit card to secure the reservation. So if I don't show I know I will be charged. Therefore....I paid ahead. If I choose to give cash when I return that's my option but I still paid ahead.

In my experience, if you have guaranteed a tour for 100% of total cost with a credit card, then the operator has no reason to ask for and other form of payment till the end of the tour, they know they have no exposure to being stiffed. If you only have a partial deposit put down with the understanding that each in the group will pay their own share, the operator tends to want to settle up ahead of time.

The exception for me was in the Azores recently when we chose to grab a cab and have the driver do a private tour. We agreed on the price then we were off. But, when we made a stop to shop he asked for partial payment in case we didn't come back. Fully understandable.

So basically, if you've EVER given a credit card number to book your tour.... YOU paid ahead.

We had sort of the opposite issue in St. Maarten years ago. One member of our roll call arranged a private boat tour, and about 20 of us signed up to go. He was very active on the roll call, gave us the tour operator's name, description of the tour, etc. and reconfirmed the list several times as more people signed up. He didn't attend the Connections party, but it was at an inconvenient time and many didn't receive invitations, so we didn't think much about it.

The next morning everyone met at the designated point on the pier...everyone, that is, except for the guy who organized the tour. When we finally decided he wasn't going to show, one of the group phoned the tour operator and they'd never heard of him!

And I would bet that he was not even booked on the cruise...EM

I've cruised all over the world on 6 different cruise lines and have been booking private tours for the past 8 years, since I leaned about how much you can save over ship tours. Maybe I have managed to find only the most skeptical tour operators around the world but I can only speak for my experiences.

Just back form Hawaii, took about 10 tours from 3 different companies: helicopters, dives, sails, bicycles, etc. EVERY single one required payment first. Some wanted it when you made the reservation, others at time of service. Headed to Bermuda on Sunday and we've rented a private boat, I gave a credit card to secure the reservation. So if I don't show I know I will be charged. Therefore....I paid ahead. If I choose to give cash when I return that's my option but I still paid ahead.

In my experience, if you have guaranteed a tour for 100% of total cost with a credit card, then the operator has no reason to ask for and other form of payment till the end of the tour, they know they have no exposure to being stiffed. If you only have a partial deposit put down with the understanding that each in the group will pay their own share, the operator tends to want to settle up ahead of time.

The exception for me was in the Azores recently when we chose to grab a cab and have the driver do a private tour. We agreed on the price then we were off. But, when we made a stop to shop he asked for partial payment in case we didn't come back. Fully understandable.

So basically, if you've EVER given a credit card number to book your tour.... YOU paid ahead.

I've organized 9 different tours and only 2 tour companies asked for a credit card to hold the booking. We could cancel the tours with no penalty up to 48 hours before the tour.

Now I've been in Hawaii with friends and had to pay up front for plane tours etc. I'm sure there are other tours we have taken around the world that we've had to pay up front as well, but it's been my experience if you tell tour operators that you are getting a group together from people on the same cruise, they are willing to work with you and take payment at the end of the tour.

This is one of the reasons why I would never make arrangements to take a private tour with strangers in cyberspace that I met on a cruise critic roll call.

And I met some wonderful people on my recent cruise who were

all honest and were looking forward to all the tours as much as I was. The tours and the people were all terrific.

It is too bad that tour had 2 selfish people on it. I would book a private tour again with people from a

roll call. In my case, it worked out beautifully and after chatting for almost a year? We did not consider

ourselves strangers.

Well, I think taking the risk is worth it. We go on these trips to experience new places and new people. We always hope for the best but have a back up plan.

Hi, me too:).....the tours I went on? FABULOUS:D......Athens,

Turkey, Sicily and Naples were all private tours with rollcall mates.

Best cruise I have ever taken:)

And I met some wonderful people on my recent cruise who were

all honest and were looking forward to all the tours as much as I was. The tours and the people were all terrific. Too bad that

tour ended up having 2 idiots on it....we had dozens of fantastic

folks.

Could not agree more. I think back to the first private tour I booked in the Med, and despite being initially nervous, we have never regretted it. We've had nothing but friendship and fun with fabulous folks, booking an average of 3 private tours per cruise ourselves, and joining with about the same number of others.

We've never been asked for cash before the tour left the dock .. we just pay at the conclusion, everyone gives their cash to the chief organiser, with a tip being optional. The only amendment to this was a recent private tour in Bari, where the company asked for a card number up front via the net, but the actual payment was in cash to the driver on the day.

I second the post earlier which described setting up a relationship with your cruisemates via the Roll Call, and then by email. By the time we meet on the ship we feel we know each other so well.

We have enjoyed private tours so much, that on a recent Century cruise around NZ, we decided to pay back all the favours we've received via Cruise Critic, by organising a private tour where the end destination was ... our very own home! :D

We had 30 new friends to view our home city (Wellington) by bus, and then join us for a simple afternoon tea. It was one of the best experiences I can remember in all my years of travelling.

I can see the merit of ships tours in certain situations, but at this stage, I am very happy to continue in the private sector.

Could not agree more. I think back to the first private tour I booked in the Med, and despite being initially nervous, we have never regretted it. We've had nothing but friendship and fun with fabulous folks, booking an average of 3 private tours per cruise ourselves, and joining with about the same number of others.

We've never been asked for cash before the tour left the dock .. we just pay at the conclusion, everyone gives their cash to the chief organiser, with a tip being optional. The only amendment to this was a recent private tour in Bari, where the company asked for a card number up front via the net, but the actual payment was in cash to the driver on the day.

I second the post earlier which described setting up a relationship with your cruisemates via the Roll Call, and then by email. By the time we meet on the ship we feel we know each other so well.

We have enjoyed private tours so much, that on a recent Century cruise around NZ, we decided to pay back all the favours we've received via Cruise Critic, by organising a private tour where the end destination was ... our very own home! :D

We had 30 new friends to view our home city (Wellington) by bus, and then join us for a simple afternoon tea. It was one of the best experiences I can remember in all my years of travelling.

I can see the merit of ships tours in certain situations, but at this stage, I am very happy to continue in the private sector.

Sounds simply fantastic:D...should I ever be able to do the cruise

on my bucket list? That would be Australia/New Zealand I will let

you know;)

We had the experience of going on a tour organized on the CC roll call. There were 3 vans for a total of about 30 people. We were to go to canterbury and other sites. The tour guide did not organize the schedule and we were in Canerbury an hour prior to it's opening and then given only a half an hour to see the Cathedral. Part of this half hour time was spent purchasing our tickets. He would not give us more time there even though everyone wanted to eliminate a 2 photo stops. When we made our final stop most people told him they would only pay half the rate and some even less.. Many stayed in town and walked back to the ship about a mile away in protest. We finished the tour but I took part of the payment due and gave it to our driver who seeing how upset everyone was went and made a suggestions to the owner that somewhat helped for the scheduling on the end of the tour.

Luckily this was the only private tour that I have been on that was such a disaster.

I can't remember a private tour I have done that EVER asked for payment until the tours' conclusion. What part of the world do you normally cruise where they want it up front?

All of the tours sponsored by the cruise ships want the money up front.

If I was the organizer of a private tour for folks I didn't know ....if you show .....and have no dough ....then you do not go.

My experience is the exact opposite. Obviously, the practice is not uniform - and that includes Med and Carib cruises.

Happened to some group on our Silhouette cruise so the others had to cover the couple who refused to pay

A good way to avoid that is to meet the day before and collect the funds. I have organized several private tours and have not had anyone not show up. But , I always start to organize a tour early and make sure periodically that folks are still interested.

I have arranged private tours in Italy, Turkey, Greece, Israel, and Egypt in the past 6 years of cruising the Med (some places more than once and with more than one provider) and was not asked to either pay in advance or provide a credit card.

The OP's scenario is so strange. In all the examples others have given of private tours having been organized people somewhat knew one another by the time they got on board, either via a roll call, e-mail, etc. it seems odd to me that the couple wasn't called out on their non-payment.

The only other scenario I can think of is that this was a "spontaneous" private tour, where a driver put together a group of strangers on the dock. If this is the case and the driver organized who was on the tour I think the driver should be responsible for the shortfall, not the other passengers.

All of the tours sponsored by the cruise ships want the money up front.

If I was the organizer of a private tour for folks I didn't know ....if you show .....and have no dough ....then you do not go.

My experience is the exact opposite. Obviously, the practice is not uniform - and that includes Med and Carib cruises.

Yes, ship wants your money up front but that's not what we're talking about...the subject is about private do-it-yourself tours... completely different animal.

After almost 50 cruises including the Med, Alaska and Britain as well as many Bahamas and Caribbean sailings I can't think of one "meet off the ship, pick me" tour operator who asked for payment BEFORE the trip

In fact, if one did I'd tell him to look for another sucker.

I've been on a couple of sub par tours though most have been excellent and better than any ship tour I have taken.

The OP recounted a story of a couple refusing to pay their share for what they felt was a bad experience shifting the cost to their travel mates which is totally unacceptable. Shame on them. Don't like the tour, suck it up and make others aware of the shabby operator here and on trip advisor to warn future traveler.

Tour operators depend on their reputations more that the $ 40.00 you fork over the single day you spend with them.

I have arranged private tours in Italy, Turkey, Greece, Israel, and Egypt in the past 6 years of cruising the Med (some places more than once and with more than one provider) and was not asked to either pay in advance or provide a credit card.

I guess I've just found less trusting tour operators. I'll have to look harder in the future. However, it did seem reasonable to me, for instance, when I booked a private bus for 15 people in Egypt with box lunches on the bus and a guide who spoke italian and english, that they wanted a credit card to secure the booking. If I had not given one and just changed my mind and no showed (which I would never do) the tour operator would have no recourse and would be stuck with no income for that day, an empty bus and 15 lunches.

I guess I've just found less trusting tour operators. I'll have to look harder in the future. However, it did seem reasonable to me, for instance, when I booked a private bus for 15 people in Egypt with box lunches on the bus and a guide who spoke italian and english, that they wanted a credit card to secure the booking. If I had not given one and just changed my mind and no showed (which I would never do) the tour operator would have no recourse and would be stuck with no income for that day, an empty bus and 15 lunches.

Maybe there's the big difference. I have only reserved for a maximum of 4 adults and a kid ahead of time.

I guess a commitment well in advance for 15 it may make sense for an operator to make sure they don't set aside so much tour space for a no show.

In general I would say half the time we just get off the ship with a working plan and look for an operator who can fill it.

Several years back I organized a tour for eight CC's in Rome. Had emailed and

chatted by phone with most of this congenial group. Booked with CC's most highly

touted company and guide at the time.

Started off on the downside. At the last minute the guide sent a surrogate who seemed a little odd.

The guide began making snide remarks to one gentleman about his religion and

appearance. It began a feud which lasted the day. It got so bad at lunch they were

shouting at one another, and my husband had to take the guide outside.

It was horrifying. A truce was arranged and the gentleman who was derided insisted on paying his way at the end of the day. I heard from the absent operator immediately after I'd written a review on here and on Tripadvisor and received half our $ back.

This tour operator again was #1 on CC, and our tour was just a fluke.

Hasn't stopped me from organizing and meeting great friends on small group tours.

Interesting stories. I tend to follow Bridge Maven in the being wary of people online. *yes even here at CC - sorry but I don't believe that every single person who posts on any message board is on the up and up so it's good to be cautious* I wouldn't mind making friends with people we're cruising with but I am cautious and value my privacy. Plus cruises for the most part have been a chance for my husband and I to unwind, unplug, get away from demanding jobs and just relax together. Perhaps sometime in the future I will be more active with my fellow CC passengers because I'm sure that Happy cruiser is right and I am missing out on meeting some great people. However, I will also remember this thread and be cautious of excursions and payments.

Sorry you feel that way. You will miss meeting some lovely people.

Happy Cruiser - There are many other ways to meet people on a cruise, including cruise line sponsored shore excursions. Not all ship sponsored shore excursions are by bus. We have been on a few with less than ten people in a smaller vehicle.

By far the best way for me to meet people during a cruise was through the bridge program, that no longer exists on Celebrity ships.

Archived