Advice for Overnight Layover at London-Gatwick?

lalabee79

Hello everyone,

My DH and I are taking a Mediterranean Cruise this fall out of Rome, and our return flight to the States has a 20 hour layover at London Gatwick airport. We arrive mid afternoon (3 pm) and leave the next afternoon. We already have hotel accommodations arranged at the airport, but thought it would be nice to take the train into London, since neither of us have ever been.

My questions are: is it feasible to have a decent experience in London with just the late afternoon and evening available to us, solely using public transportation? What are the "must-see" locations? I assume we'll need a warm jacket or coat, since it will be early December.

Any advice would be cherished. Thank you!

Most definitely. You can take the airport train (Gatwick Express) to Victoria or a cheaper local train to Blackfriars (stairs there) or Farringdon. You can see a lot of sights the rest of the day, have a meal, and see a few things the next morning before taking a train back to the airport.

BTW, You must have more than a 20 hr layover if you arrive at 3p and leave the next afternoon?

You can assume it will be cold but Rome could be almost as cold (or colder) that time of the year too.

Thank you for the input! Since we aren't flying into LHR, we weren't sure how far we will be from the major sights in London. Your post was reassuring!

Yes i was basing my initial post on my sometimes faulty memory. :) We actually land at 4:50 pm and leave at 12:55 pm the next day, just a bit more than 20 hours later.

It is possible to get a regular (non Gatwick express) straight to Victoria. Express takes 30 mins. I can't help but think though, even if you're flight is at 3, that you'll be cutting it fine to have a valuable trip to London. If you're flying to USA you'll need to check in 3 hours beforehand. If your flight is later in the day then maybe, but otherwise, Gatwick is some way out of town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes i was basing my initial post on my sometimes faulty memory. :) We actually land at 4:50 pm and leave at 12:55 pm the next day, just a bit more than 20 hours later.

Hi

You arrive a 4.50 by the time you clear customs and get to your

Hotel (I assume you are staying at Gatwick) you will not have

A lot of time to get into central London.

In December it will be cold and probably wet and not really

A pleasant time to sight see and most places will be closed by the time

You get there.

Have a nice meal at your hotel and book lounge access at Gatwick before

Your flight home,

Hi

You arrive a 4.50 by the time you clear customs and get to your

Hotel (I assume you are staying at Gatwick) you will not have

A lot of time to get into central London.

In December it will be cold and probably wet and not really

A pleasant time to sight see and most places will be closed by the time

You get there.

Have a nice meal at your hotel and book lounge access at Gatwick before

Your flight home,

Plus it will be dark.

Thanks for the feedback. Of course we realized that we wouldn't have adequate time to really experience London, but I just can't foresee us being so nearby and not going into the city. Maybe we'll just grab dinner in the city and lay eyes on Big Ben & the London Bridge, since we have such little time. And we'd be okay with that. :) Of course we hope to return in the future and stay longer, but there are no guarantees!

Thanks for the feedback. Of course we realized that we wouldn't have adequate time to really experience London, but I just can't foresee us being so nearby and not going into the city. Maybe we'll just grab dinner in the city and lay eyes on Big Ben & the London Bridge, since we have such little time. And we'd be okay with that. :) Of course we hope to return in the future and stay longer, but there are no guarantees!

OP - I suggest you go onto the city and do a walk with Londonwalks.com. They don't have their schedule for Dec. posted yet, but you can look now to get an idea of what's on offer. Very inexpensive way to get a feel of London and learn something. They do have walks later in the evening.

Hello everyone,

My DH and I are taking a Mediterranean Cruise this fall out of Rome, and our return flight to the States has a 20 hour layover at London Gatwick airport. We arrive mid afternoon (3 pm) and leave the next afternoon. We already have hotel accommodations arranged at the airport, but thought it would be nice to take the train into London, since neither of us have ever been.

My questions are: is it feasible to have a decent experience in London with just the late afternoon and evening available to us, solely using public transportation? What are the "must-see" locations? I assume we'll need a warm jacket or coat, since it will be early December.

Any advice would be cherished. Thank you!

Just wanted to ask are you either at the Sofitel or the Hilton. Both Hotels are right at the airport and I would go with one or the other. Look closely which terminal you are flying in and out of to ideally pick the one that is connected to avoid the airport train but worst is you take it. They are both very convenient.

Keith

Honestly, looking at your times, you won't make it into London. Gatwick may be called 'London Gatwick' but it's not actually in, or that near to, London.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hop on the Gatwick Express and you'll be in London in no time...it's not too far in that case

Just wanted to ask are you either at the Sofitel or the Hilton. Both Hotels are right at the airport and I would go with one or the other. Look closely which terminal you are flying in and out of to ideally pick the one that is connected to avoid the airport train but worst is you take it. They are both very convenient.

Keith

Keith - we are at the Hilton. We can't get much info about the Terminal yet but I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thank you!

Hop on the Gatwick Express and you'll be in London in no time...it's not too far in that case

Thanks! I have researched the trains and the Gatwick express takes about 30 mins. That's very feasible. We'll just have the evening to enjoy in Central London

Archived