VIFP Red level gift for underage minors?

macandlucy

We are going on our second Carnival cruise next year, and so as you all know, that makes us VIFP Red Level. The "gift" for Red level VIFP is a free drink at the Punchliner's Comedy Brunch, which is great for DH and I, but not so much for our underage son, who is also red level now. Does anyone know if minors also get a little something or is he just out of luck on this one? Thanks.

We are going on our second Carnival cruise next year, and so as you all know, that makes us VIFP Red Level. The "gift" for Red level VIFP is a free drink at the Punchliner's Comedy Brunch, which is great for DH and I, but not so much for our underage son, who is also red level now. Does anyone know if minors also get a little something or is he just out of luck on this one? Thanks.

He will also receive a free drink coupon to use at the Brunch or a lunch. He will select a non-alcoholic drink such as soda or a virgin frozen drink. We had 3 minors in our group in July and they loved their frozen virgin drinks at lunch in the MDR.

Do you by any chance remember how it's worded on the coupon? Like bar drink or alcoholic beverage, etc? I am just curious -- it seems a kind of odd choice as a gift for a minor, with no distinction that it is for a non-alcoholic drink only. (Or maybe it does have one and I am mistaken here).

It seems to me that it would be better to give the kids something tangible, with a similar dollar value -- you know a deck of cards and a pen, some candy, etc something like that instead of the same (again I'm assuming!) drink coupon that adults receive.

Carnival can make Virgin drinks also. I would enjoy a frozen drink even without alcohol!

I appreciate everyone's responses and I understand that the virgin/non-alcoholic option is available, or even just a pop etc., but a non-alcoholic drink costs less and is therefore a lower value gift to any paying passenger minor or not. Furthermore, it seems weird to me for a big American Corporation like CCL to give a drink coupon to a minor, who might then attempt to use it in the dining room. Just doesn't seem as responsible as I expect CCL to be (because I do think they are responsible and take things like underage drinking seriously).

It's a very small amount of money we are talking about, and of course it's not a big deal. It just strikes me as a bit of an oversight. Perhaps I am wrong.

I appreciate everyone's responses and I understand that the virgin/non-alcoholic option is available, or even just a pop etc., but a non-alcoholic drink costs less and is therefore a lower value gift to any paying passenger minor or not. Furthermore, it seems weird to me for a big American Corporation like CCL to give a drink coupon to a minor, who might then attempt to use it in the dining room. Just doesn't seem as responsible as I expect CCL to be (because I do think they are responsible and take things like underage drinking seriously).

It's a very small amount of money we are talking about, and of course it's not a big deal. It just strikes me as a bit of an oversight. Perhaps I am wrong.

They do and they would never knowingly serve a minor an alcoholic drink. Yes, there have been cases where the waiter served a drink to a minor with alcohol in it but the waiter doesn't make the drinks. They turn in their order and expect the bar person to make the drinks the way they order them i.e. with alcohol or virgin.

As for pricing, have them order a frozen virgin drink. They cost more than a soda.

What about alcoholics, or people who don't drink for personal per religious reasons. Man, Carnival is ripping off a lot of people with their fee gift.

I don't remember the exact wording (someone posted it on here recently), but it said something like good for any drink and then listed things like soda and coffee drinks too.

Maggie

It was for a drink up to a $9 value. That was stated on the certificate we received.

On our recent cruise on the Splendor, our 16-year-old daughter used hers to buy a Bloody Mary for a friend who was travelling with us. The drink-server didn't have a problem with that. It showed up on our S & S as a purchased drink that had the cost of $0.00.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

They can order whatever drink they want! Smoothie, soda, etc. without alchohol. Just did this in July on the Miracle

Just off the Pride. I wanted a Bloody Mary with my coupon. I couldnt get it. There was a list of "Classic Cocktails" on the table. It included Mai Tai, Long Island Iced Tea, and a few others. I couldnt understand why I couldnt get a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa for breakfast with my coupon. It bugged me the whole week. I even put it on my survey. It just doesnt make sense. My sister wanted an Iced coffee and was told she couldnt get that either.:rolleyes:

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Just off the Pride. I wanted a Bloody Mary with my coupon. I couldnt get it. There was a list of "Classic Cocktails" on the table. It included Mai Tai, Long Island Iced Tea, and a few others. I couldnt understand why I couldnt get a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa for breakfast with my coupon. It bugged me the whole week. I even put it on my survey. It just doesnt make sense. My sister wanted an Iced coffee and was told she couldnt get that either.:rolleyes:

They tried that with us on the Miracle as well, and I said no, I don't want anything on that menu Hubby wants BM and I want a margarita do I need to speak with the Maitre D'? We got what we wanted! Don't settle, all it specifies is not more than $__!

And you think a deck of cards & a pen or some candy is an equitable trade? What is the big deal? He gets a free drink of his choice, obviously non-alcoholic. So, if he does not get something for up to the $9 do you want the difference in cash? Not really sure what the problem is here?

Do you by any chance remember how it's worded on the coupon? Like bar drink or alcoholic beverage, etc? I am just curious -- it seems a kind of odd choice as a gift for a minor, with no distinction that it is for a non-alcoholic drink only. (Or maybe it does have one and I am mistaken here).

It seems to me that it would be better to give the kids something tangible, with a similar dollar value -- you know a deck of cards and a pen, some candy, etc something like that instead of the same (again I'm assuming!) drink coupon that adults receive.

For years (when we got the free $20 slot tournament entry for Platinum) the "replacement perk" for minors was $5 in Arcade tokens...

so no...it does not have to be the same value.

Archived