NCL Sky Picture Review, as promised

gambee

Oh cameras, cameras, cameras, my obsession!!!! :D I have owned maybe a total of 20 mostly point and shoot, but I did own two dslrs but I sold them because of the size.

All these pictures were taken with a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V. This camera is amazing for a point and shoot. Great telefoto and good low light pictures, not dslr quality, but still very good. My only complain is the gps takes some time find satellites. Other than that is an amazing little package.

You know I almost bought a Sony Nex-f3 yesterday, but I backed out of it. Simply because I would be losing a lot. No GPS, standard zoon with stock lens and much more bulkier. I was going to sell mine and buy the other one at a great deal from ebay. But I was strong restrained myself and backed out of the purchase.

I think there is a new model that replaced my current Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V, but its more expensive almost $380. You can get my sony for about $215 used on ebay. I imagine new an extra $50.

I highly recommend it, noise reduction might be aggressive. But that means you can still shot pictures at ISO 800 with minimal noise, the picture of the cheese cake and the jogging track are at iso 800 without a flash. While not as sharp because it was hand held, you can barely notice any noise.

I could keep on going for ever about cameras, but ill leave it at that. Also one more thing, that picture hosting site decreases the quality of the pictures, they are much better in my comp screen.

Well for the most part yes. Some people had just a white shirt, or white shoes, or white pants and the rest of their clothes other colors but for the most part yes. Look at the picture of the game show, notice most of them have white cloths? the party was right after the show.

Guess I need to go shopping for something white pretty quick we leave in 6 days lol.

123ab2f.jpg

Some people paddle boarding on the other end of the beach.

Regarding paddleboarding...Do you know if this was something offered by NCL on GSC, or was this a picture of the neighboring island owned by another cruiseline?

Thanks!

Regarding paddleboarding...Do you know if this was something offered by NCL on GSC, or was this a picture of the neighboring island owned by another cruiseline?

Thanks!

The life guards were renting paddleboards in the area near the Cabanas. Not sure what the cost was but saw a few people take them out. Water was very calm.

You could get a clam shell in several areas along the beach. Right before the cabana area there was a group of shade trees. It didn't seem like a lot of people knew they were there. The few people that set up there had nice shade.

The life guards were renting paddleboards in the area near the Cabanas. Not sure what the cost was but saw a few people take them out. Water was very calm.

You could get a clam shell in several areas along the beach. Right before the cabana area there was a group of shade trees. It didn't seem like a lot of people knew they were there. The few people that set up there had nice shade.

Thanks...I wonder if this is something NCL is trying out. This isn't a sponsored "excursion" from their Shorex site.

Gambee - your pics and review inspired me to get a new camera so that I can do the same in a couple of weeks. I got the Sony HX30V

No problem, it was my pleasure. Enjoy the camera! And have fun on your trip. :)

Anyone know if they still give you a glass of champagne when you board the Sky? I last sailed her in 2008 and I remember that being a nice touch :)

They ceased this in early 2011 as it was said people were taking 1 sip then putting the glasses down wherever they could, most glasses still nearly filled.

Makes sense that they wanted to cut down on waste.

Thanks...I wonder if this is something NCL is trying out. This isn't a sponsored "excursion" from their Shorex site.

As far as I understand it their private island. So everything is from them. But you're right, it was not on their site. I just realize that.

Not really sure. There weren't very many of them - maybe 6 total. The water was so calm it seemed like a good place to do it. It was an on-your-own activity.

They don't advertise the mats or very large floats either but there were plenty of them for rent.

They are going to have a sting ray encounter. They are raising the stingrays now and had an area in the water fenced off.

There was a group in that area with them but not sure why. Possibly a snorkel group.

• 3 months later...

Gambee, did you upgrade your camera from this review to the Allure? If not, your "skills" have improved A LOT! I love the pictures in the Allure review and know you said you used a Sony, but wondering if you hit that "buy now" button between this review and that one. :confused: It's almost December, I'll be waiting to hear where you are going on your next cruise to. :D

Gambee, did you upgrade your camera from this review to the Allure? If not, your "skills" have improved A LOT! I love the pictures in the Allure review and know you said you used a Sony, but wondering if you hit that "buy now" button between this review and that one. :confused: It's almost December, I'll be waiting to hear where you are going on your next cruise to. :D

I did indeed buy the camera for the allure, but it was not only the camera. I also bought about 5 books in photography and devoured them. I think I read each book like 3 times.

I think I always a little something there, it just needed to pushed further in the right direction.

In the NCL trip I was also not shooting for a review, in the Allure that was my main focus of shooting pictures. So that also makes a huge difference on what you shoot and what you don't.

Now that I am done with the review I have to clean my album, I have so many duplicate pictures and my hard drive is screaming for help. :D.

Thank you so much for stopping by this thread, it means a lot. :)

• 1 month later...

Gambee ~ You are funny and a great reviewer!! I read your other review and it took me over 3 days. I did not comment on that thread because it's so long now, I would have felt guilty taking-up your time. I have no clue, btw, how you get away with taking some of the pictures you take! It cracks me up!!

I found your Sky review today and again, good job. I have a question now... how exactly did you get this picture below?? I am confused if it is with your iPhone or your camera or ??? This is a very cool picture.

Thank you for answering my question (if you can) and I look forward to your next NCL review! We are considering trying NCL next.

2gxhaqg.jpg

Gambee ~ You are funny and a great reviewer!! I read your other review and it took me over 3 days. I did not comment on that thread because it's so long now, I would have felt guilty taking-up your time. I have no clue, btw, how you get away with taking some of the pictures you take! It cracks me up!!

I found your Sky review today and again, good job. I have a question now... how exactly did you get this picture below?? I am confused if it is with your iPhone or your camera or ??? This is a very cool picture.

Thank you for answering my question (if you can) and I look forward to your next NCL review! We are considering trying NCL next.

Get away taking which pictures?

Anyway, this picture is a screen shot of my computer. My old camera used to have a GPS built into it and she tracked everything. Then I loaded up into Iphoto and it puts together all coordinates into that neat little map. You can also do it manually but you need to keep track of the coordinates with other tools, like the TV on the cruise.

Here is the one for the Allure, I did not bother to track all the movement in the ocean. Hope that answers your question :)

Screenshot2013-01-20at41851PM_zps56bfda9a.png

No worries about using my time, I enjoy helping others in matters like this.