Coke Freestyle Machine

would someone explain why a machine gets a 15% gratuity?? How do you tip a pop/soda machine? Does the machine get to keep the tips?? Lol give me a break!!

lol :D +1

Anyway - I see no one talks about Liberty of the Seas. Are those machines on the ship or the only option for sodas are still the bars?

Everyplace that has those machines has very long lines to get a drink. There are so many choices and screens, that each person takes a while to get their drink.

It is not as easy as holding the cup under the nozzle. You first select the major beverage, (Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke, etc) them move to flavor screens, ( raspberry, lie, cherry, vanilla etc,) then dispense. We have one of these machines at Moes Burritos and line is ridiculous. We were in the Atlanta Airport last week and the line to get a drink was at least 15 deep, with many exasperated faces.

Hope there are several machines on the ship or the wait will get out of hand. Glad I don’t drink soda!

M

Majesty had the Freestyle machines when I sailed on her this past Labor Day weekend. There was NEVER a line (more than 2-3 ppl, anyway) at any time that I visited the machines.

I don't typically drink soda, either, but the freestyle machines also have powerade, seltzer water, flavored Dasani & flavored SPARKLING Dasani!!! Yum!

To answer those who asked if you always have to carry the cup: No, your seapass card is marked w/ the Coke emblem, so you can get soda from the bar, dining room, etc. You only NEED the cup to use the Freestyle machine.

Just off freedom and the cups have a RFID chip on the bottom to activate it. Be aware that some of the chips are coded to expire just after dinner on the last night. I was stuck in line at the machine as there were a bunch of people with cups that were saying no refills left. See Staff to purchace more and this was at 9:30-10:00 pm. Otherwise i was addicted to this machine. Freedom has 6 machines. 2 on the royal promanade by sorrentos pizza and 4 in the Jade. ( 2 by each thirst Station) the ones in jade are not accesible when the windjammer/Jade is closed while the ones by sorrentos were avaible 24/7. On the first day they sell the cups at a few tables around the ship and at bars including a table on the royal promanade right beside the machines.

I see this was started a few months ago.

Which ships now have the machines? Just curious. I'm not into the flavored drinks. And no way in heck I would drink a Coke Zero, but the flavored waters sound good.

We already have the drink package for our next cruise, so this is just curiousity.

Would someone explain why a machine gets a 15% gratuity?? How do you tip a pop/soda machine? Does the machine get to keep the tips?? LOL Give me a break!!

Very True It also does water brand name where does the water come from the ship what is the difference.

My daughter has the soda package for our Dec 30 sailing. Will sha automatically get one of the cups or does it have to be purchased separately? Too bad you have to carry a cup around for the freestyle machines. I can see that being a pain.

You will get a cup delivered to the stateroom on the first day. It has an RFID chip in the bottom that interfaces with the machine to not allow any cup to be filled. The chip also prevents using old cups on new cruises. Although with the 5 minute wait, you could probably fill your given cup, transfer the contents to another one, and then fill another one in 5 minutes.

I like the freestyle machine. The interesting thing is that the syrups that it contains do not contain either sugar or sugar substitute. The sugar comes from a bag in box somewhere else that contains HFCS which is rather thick. So if you select Coke with cherry flavor, You are actually getting four things dispensed into your cup at the same time. Carbonated water, HFCS, Coke syrup, and cherry flavor. That is why the syrup containers are so small yet last so long. it uses very little syrup.

Very True It also does water brand name where does the water come from the ship what is the difference.

That's the thing about bottled water in general. It's a scam. What does Evian spell backwards?

Currently Majesty, Freedom, Allure, Explorer, Oasis and the Enchantment are the ships that have Freestyle and at this time no other ships are scheduled. Enchantment is receiving her machines during her dry dock.

DH and I were just on the Oasis and he really enjoyed the machines. So nice in the evening to just fill the cup before retiring rather than going up to one of the bartenders. We always feel bad taking the time of a bartender for a pop. Heading out on the Brilliance in January with DM and since there seems to be no chance of a Freestyle machine on that ship we probably won't bother getting a soda card. (We will just drink iced tea all week. ) We generally just drink tea, soda water and tonic water at home so it certainly won't be a problem to go without the soda package. ( I must say I would think long and hard about getting the soda card if the machines were available!!)

Had the freestyle machine on our cruise to Bermuda on the Explorer. There were 4 machines in the WJ. [2 on each side] There were never any lines for the machines. Sometimes there was someone in front of me but that was it.

I love the variety of drinks. I like having water when I was by the pool deck in the AM. I do not drink soda that early in the AM.:eek: I wish they had a mcahine on the pool deck. I had to put on a coverup and go in the WJ. However, the cup you get is larger than the glasses from the bar and last a long time.

The only other place I noticed a machine was on the Promonade next to the Promenade cafe. [may have been 2 machines--can not remember]

Everyplace that has those machines has very long lines to get a drink. There are so many choices and screens, that each person takes a while to get their drink.

It is not as easy as holding the cup under the nozzle. You first select the major beverage, (Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke, etc) them move to flavor screens, ( raspberry, lie, cherry, vanilla etc,) then dispense. We have one of these machines at Moes Burritos and line is ridiculous. We were in the Atlanta Airport last week and the line to get a drink was at least 15 deep, with many exasperated faces.

Hope there are several machines on the ship or the wait will get out of hand. Glad I don’t drink soda!

M

I've heard people say this time and time again in reference to these machines.

My experience has been that the wait/confusion is only really on the first day of the cruise. I was on Majesty in June when these machines were first installed. There was a line the first day. People trying different combinations. After that, I remember being able to walk to a machine maybe having to wait for one person in-front of me. In my opinion it's about the same wait you experience on any ship getting a soda from a bar. The exception being on Liberty where there is a dedicated drink person at the end of Sorrento's.

You will get a cup delivered to the stateroom on the first day. It has an RFID chip in the bottom that interfaces with the machine to not allow any cup to be filled. The chip also prevents using old cups on new cruises. Although with the 5 minute wait, you could probably fill your given cup, transfer the contents to another one, and then fill another one in 5 minutes.

I like the freestyle machine. The interesting thing is that the syrups that it contains do not contain either sugar or sugar substitute. The sugar comes from a bag in box somewhere else that contains HFCS which is rather thick. So if you select Coke with cherry flavor, You are actually getting four things dispensed into your cup at the same time. Carbonated water, HFCS, Coke syrup, and cherry flavor. That is why the syrup containers are so small yet last so long. it uses very little syrup.

My dd 11 is going to love that. I can see her wanting to try all kinds of different combinations. I'll just try to forget about all the HFCS she will drinking. But it's only for one week.

• 4 weeks later...

We LOVED the Freestyle machines on Explorer. For the record, there are actually 7 machines on Explorer:

- 2 on the promenade beside the Cafe

- 2 Portside aft Windjammer

- 2 Starboard side aft Windjammer

- 1 Optix Teen Club

The one in Optix is actually right beside the door leading out to the arcade. Now, IMHO, it's a stupid spot since Optix is a strictly teen-only area, so technically you are NOT supposed to go in there, so IMHO it's rather useless - it really should be in the Arcade where anyone could go as it would expand it's purpose.

I spent a LOT of time watching the behind the scenes workings of these machines, including receiving a personal "tour" of the inside of the machine and the programming/maintenance menus from a friendly RCI employee who was maintaining one. I have pictures and everything of the inside, actually.

Any questions, ask away. :)

Would love to see photos

We LOVED the Freestyle machines on Explorer. For the record, there are actually 7 machines on Explorer:

- 2 on the promenade beside the Cafe

- 2 Portside aft Windjammer

- 2 Starboard side aft Windjammer

- 1 Optix Teen Club

The one in Optix is actually right beside the door leading out to the arcade. Now, IMHO, it's a stupid spot since Optix is a strictly teen-only area, so technically you are NOT supposed to go in there, so IMHO it's rather useless - it really should be in the Arcade where anyone could go as it would expand it's purpose.

I spent a LOT of time watching the behind the scenes workings of these machines, including receiving a personal "tour" of the inside of the machine and the programming/maintenance menus from a friendly RCI employee who was maintaining one. I have pictures and everything of the inside, actually.

Any questions, ask away. :)

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk please excuse typographical errors

Would love to see photos

I'll get them up later today. It's actually quite interesting, the machines takes "cartridges" like an inkjet printer for the flavours, so when empty they just slide one out and replace it with another - the machines recognizes the product levels automatically again as soon as it's plugged in.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

would still like to see the pictures that someone was going to post.

Does anyone know if they have been put on other ships yet?? Sailing on the Jewel in April. Would love to be able to get caffeine free diet coke while onboard. Also like the idea of the flavored waters.

How does this work for the dining roon though?? How close are the machines? If I want flovored water or something caffeine free with my meal, do I need to fill my cup before being seated or is there a chance the waiters have access to one somewhere??

I emailed Royal to ask if my ship had one and got the response

"Coca-Cola® freestyle machines are onboard the Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, and Majesty of the Seas. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause."

and then a bunch of info about the drink packages.

I hope they are on all the ships soon. We don't them here in Europe and they look really cool!

would still like to see the pictures that someone was going to post.

Does anyone know if they have been put on other ships yet?? Sailing on the Jewel in April. Would love to be able to get caffeine free diet coke while onboard. Also like the idea of the flavored waters.

How does this work for the dining roon though?? How close are the machines? If I want flovored water or something caffeine free with my meal, do I need to fill my cup before being seated or is there a chance the waiters have access to one somewhere??

In the MDR your server will bring you sodas from the bar. So it is limited to the Coke, Diet Coke, Ginger Ale, etc. You could get a glass fro the WJ before you enter the MDR if yoy really want one of the flavors.

I emailed Royal to ask if my ship had one and got the response

"Coca-Cola® freestyle machines are onboard the Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, and Majesty of the Seas. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause."

and then a bunch of info about the drink packages.

I hope they are on all the ships soon. We don't them here in Europe and they look really cool!

Thanks for posting that; slightly disappointing that they aren't on the Radiance yet, but there you go.

Seems to have been a bit of a slow roll-out if they started last summer - how long does it take to plug in a few fancy vending machines? :D

Archived