The Unloved Solo

thephantomsgirl

Going from DCL concierge to Carnival will be interesting for you. I will be very interested to read a report when you get back.

Like you I have the 5 ports to drive to and many lines to choose from, truthfully though Carnival would be nearer the bottom on the ships sailing from my nearest PC/T but each to their own when cost is involved and you can only decide for yourself.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I originally cruised solo because I didn't have a choice. My friends and family didn't have the time or money, which is understandable. Or they gave excuses like "too regimented" (I like the predictability), "too frou-frou" (what!?), or even "too dangerous" (seriously?).

So prior to April 30, I made peace with the fact that I'd be vacationing solo. And a liability soon became an asset. It felt great to pick the ship, the itinerary, the shore excurions, and not have to compromise. Same thing onboard; I could do whatever I wanted and only what I wanted. Obviously, I met people and hung out with them, but if only one of us wanted to do something, we'd split up and rejoin later. When I vacationed with my friends, on the other hand, they insisted on hanging out together the whole time. And fairly often, that meant I didn't get to do someting I wanted because my opinion was outnumbered.

I get it; solos aren't a profitable demographic for Carnival. Can't blame them for subtly trying to discourage solos. But with all the cutbacks they made lately, I'm sure they can afford to have solos on their ships. Luckily, when it came to the social atmosphere among passengers and the onboard activities, as opposed to corporate policies, I found Carnival to be very solo-friendly. So unless they do something really stupid, like have a 2-person minimum per cabin, I'll come back as long as the price is right.

I cruise solo because I can't find a friend or family member who is free to travel (no kids, job, or money issues).

West coast cruises are more expensive than Eastern ports, and have very limited schedules (about to become worse when Splendor leaves). I still want to cruise.

misstopgun

I do NOT choose to travel solo.

My DH passed way in 2003. We had about 10-11 cruises together over 30 years. I do not have a sister. My friends are married & do NOT travel w/o their DH. My kids are married and do NOT travel w/o their DH. I have NO choice if I want to continue to cruise or even travel at all.

This is a very OLD thread and so we now know that Carnival has been charging 200% for years for solos BUT the prices are low enough that its still one the the least expensive ways to go for a Solo Cruiser. I priced out the EPIC solo cabins and Carnival Port hole cabin (I like natural light) for a trip I was planning in December and the EPIC would have cost $998 + tax and port charges and the Carnival cost $778 + tax and port charges. So even at 200% the price was significantly lower + I received 100 OBC with Carnival AND since I'm platinum I'll get chocolate covered strawberries, laundry service, priority boarding and tenders....I just don't think I would get a better deal for a 7 day vacation on land OR sea!

Actually, this thread was just started yesterday around noon, based on the time stamp on the OP... maybe there are others out their on the same subject... I agree that their prices are still probably the best option for solos.

I would think they could occasionally offer a special where the single supplement was waived. Uniworld does this on "select sailings" for their European river cruises (probably means the ones that are least apt to sell out). I did one last year and had a blast. There were lots of singles onboard that would definitely not have been there otherwise.

Where I'm from, everyone seems to be married by the time they're 19, so being single passed that usually keeps you single. So, I don't have a spouse to cruise with, and most of my friends are married and wouldn't want me in a room with them. Those that aren't married are too wrapped up in college or work, and have little to no money to cruise or do anything. (Although they still have enough money to buy the newest gadget every time a new one comes out.:rolleyes:) People around here don't seem to like taking vacations until they're married and have kids. When there was an opportunity for anyone to join me on a 5-day cruise for a $149 cruise fare, and I told everyone I knew, there were literally no takers. That was my only solo cruise. Friends who live out of town got me into cruising, so I've gone with them. And I've gone with the folks.

I do understand solos paying a solo supplement, but 200% is definitely excessive. After all, the port fees (not the gov't taxes) are included within the cruise fare. So when a solo pays 2 cruise fares, the cruiseline only pays port fees for 1, and they get to pocket the rest. They should at least cut a break in the general amount of the port fees, whether that would result in a 175% supplement or whatever. Plus, the cruiseline does save money by only having to feed & service 1 person instead of 2. The room steward is unlucky by getting auto-tips from just 1, but that's about all that can be said against us. Many solos that I've seen seem to be even more willing to indulge in alcohol & gambling, as opposed to families. The people who do independent excursions instead of through Carnival are the more experienced and informed cruisers, who could be solos or families or anyone. So solo cruisers aren't looking for breaks. They just want to be treated equally, providing equal profits for the cruiseline on cruise fares, not more profits.

The cruiseline clears quite a bit more money on a solo paying 200% as opposed to 2 people in the room paying the same amount. Does it offset the lack of drinks, souvenir purchases, and gambling for the 2nd person that's not there? Sometimes it doesn't, but sometimes it does, as some of the 2nd people in cabins don't do any of those things. And some of the solos contribute more than double their share of drinks & gambling. Carnival (and some other cruiselines) are not doing this for the reasons that many people think. They're doing it because they know solos will pay it. They don't want to just break even on profits on a solo vs. 2 people in the room. They want to come out ahead, and they do.

I agree with much you have to say. When in a group, I'm usually the only one to gamble, drink, and spend much money, so the excuse against singles not being profitable enough doesn't hold much water. I've never cruised Carnival, but have been on many of the other lines and love to cruise. I've been a widower for about three years, and have been on cruises without my wife since then. Sometimes I've shared a room with relatives, but there are many times no one wants to go. I soloed once, and it was O.K. I'm a little hesitant to share a room with just anyone without being pretty sure of our compatability. There is another line that sails from Fort Lauderdale that is not so bad on single supplements that one might try - MSC. It has mixed reviews, but I'm giving it a chance in November on the repo cruise from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale. I've glanced at some of the singles clubs, and haven't been too excited about using them. They seem to lean toward upscale (Crystal. etc.) lines and also very active excursions requiring extensive hiking, etc. At 74 years, I'm a little old for mountain climbing, but still get around.

People who are part of a couple often don't realize how difficult it is to find someone to cruise with. It just can't be anyone; afterall, we don't want to led off the cruise ship in handcuffs because we strangled our cabinmate. :D

1. The person must want/like to cruise. Some of my friends have never been on a cruise ship but have decided they would hate it.

2. The person must have the money to cruise. Everyone wants to go until it's time to put the deposit down.

3. The person must have the time to cruise. I'm childless and want to cruise during the times of the year when there are fewer children and when cruises are cheaper. For instance, the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. My girlfriend who wants to cruise with me works in retail, so all holiday seasons are off limits. When I get Presidents' Day off or even Veterans' Day, she has some stupid sale to orchestrate.

4. The person must be on a similar schedule and compatible. For instance, I took a land vacation with someone one time who could not get out of bed before noon. Precious hours of sightseeing time were wasted while I waited around for her to get up and get going. Do you know how many tourist venues close at 5 pm? Quite a few. And once it gets dark, you can't even look at the scenery.

Well, those are just a few of the reasons why it's just easier to book a solo cabin and be done with it.

Roz

Amen, Roz. My sentiments, exactly.

I'm the OP and started this yesterday. True it was a few weeks ago that it was announced Carnival was going to the 200% deposit, and they've been doing 200% supplement for some time.

It was yesterday DCL announced they'd are now (with no notice) going to 200% supplement.

I am choosing to sail solo. I did sail with a friend several times, but we both agreed that unless it was a suite, we both prefer having our own cabins. With DCL since the beds don't split - sharing is less desirable.

It's not that I'd not sail with her again, it's that our ability to cruise at the same time has changed. With going solo I can go when I want, where I want. Having my own cabin means I can do want I want - get up early, sleep late, eat where and when I want, etc.

Even sailing with my friend, it would end up for both of us, often being what "we'd" do.

As I said, I understand that the cruise lines need to make money. It's more that they seem to be making a solo cruiser feel not only unwelcome, but almost actively discouraged from booking. IF most of the lines were selling out - then I could see the point more. But not all are. Not that good of customer service to make solo cruisers feel, "well if we can't sell our cabins, THEN we'll take you last minute...if we HAVE to".

Right now, Carnival is a good deal for me compared to DCL. And yes, going from concierge DCL to Carnival may be interesting to say the least. I don't like DCL's larger ships - too crowded. They did not design the people flow adequately for the increase in numbers. Hence why I went to concierge - more places to get away from the massive crowds. Granted, yes, I like the extra pampering although I'm not very high maintenance.

With Carnival at least I have a really nice balcony room and am on a ship that gets good people to space reviews.

I'm well versed that to sail solo it costs double - it's more the feeling of "we don't want you at all and we want to make it harder for you to book" that I don't like. Interestingly, I think there are more solo sailors than there used to be? Not sure.

All I know is I don't want to sit home because I can't drag some person along with me either because they can't or won't be able to go.

Oh well, there are many people who can't fathom going alone. That's okay. It's the cruise lines that are starting to be like the soup (can't use that word) guy on Seinfield, only "No cruise for you!" :rolleyes:

The way I read the original post, OP was originally reporting that DCL is going to start charging 200% for solos... so she is considering a switch from DCL to Carnival...

Basically yes. Although spurred on by DCL - along with Carnival's recent 200% double deposit - it's the fact that cruise lines are really discouraging solos.

The baby boomer generation is retiring and a lot of us are solos and ready to travel. We've lived alone and independently for a while and prefer to travel that way. I live in a 55+ community and there are a large proportion of new residents from my generation who are moving in single. In the past 5 years we've made a major impact in how things are done (or not done) and I suspect this will carry over to other areas of our live also.

I generally cruise solo, but am going with a roommate for an upcoming cruise on the Pride. She is, like me, a single woman, but who has never cruised and, while she can afford the solo price, wants to cruise "with" someone the first time. I upgraded to a balcony to give us some extra room. We'll see how it goes. I have to say, the cheaper price is nice.

I sometimes cruise solo by choice. It's very liberating and I generally love it. I completely understand why cruise lines charge what they do. I get that solos are not a target demographic, so I don't really have issue with pricing policies. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not going to look for a deal :)

That said, it's not always easy to find a cruise partner. I'm 35. I have been very unlucky (and sometimes stupid) in the men department (the stories I could tell lol), plus it's hard to get something going when I travel internationally for weeks at a time for my job. My sister is married with two little ones, so it's not like she can just hop on a cruise. Same thing with most of my friends...married with young children. Some of my single friends just can't afford to cruise. The ones that can afford it are physicians where getting 9 days off in a row is difficult. My trips with these friends are land trips of about 5 days (next up, Oktoberfest in Munich). I really don't want to do cruises shorter than 7 days any more.

I agree that I think cruising solo could be liberating. I'm a single girl and though one day I hope to cruise with my b/f or husband, I tend to find the freedom I have exciting. One day I really want to try a cruise all by myself. I'm paying double for my room this go round b/c I wanted a room to myself. I have friends that will be joining me, but I think after a few .......I wouldn't call them bad.........but less than stellar roomie experiences I think it will be nice. I knew I would have to pay double and so I'm not mad about it. I also understand why. I'm not too upset about the 200 % deposit either. They will just have to wait a bit longer to get me booked on another cruise.

I do wish they would come up with something to help out the single travelers. Maybe something that won't hurt their bottom line, but say, "Hey, Carnival likes you, come cruise with us."

I think solo vacations may become more prevalent in the future and they might want to be ahead of the game.

I buy liquor through Bon Voyage. I go to the steakhouse. I go on some carnival excursions. How is that not spending?

I don't see a lot of cabins getting BV deliveries. Newer cruisers more likely to excursion with carnival b/c they don't know about all the info on the web.

I'm platinum with them so I've spent plenty of $$ with them.

To design your own tshirt: http://carnival.victorydyo.com/

Material is kind of odd. It has a strange weave to it and stretches out of place easily.

Speaking of spending $ with CCL, I did that too! And I'm passing along the info to others to get their own. You can have ship dates or what you're celebrating printed. Came in the mail rather quickly.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic so please don't take it that way. I guess I am fortunate that I have never been a position to ever have to cruise solo.

My question is, do those that cruise solo do that as a choice? Do they prefer to be alone? If that is the case I think that it would be a premium you would need to pay for.

Even if I didn't have my husband, I can always find someone to share my room, a sister or a friend.

Please explain to me why some would choose to sail solo, and why they should get breaks when they are in a cabin that could accomodate more people.

Once again, please do not take this as a flame, it is not intended to be. I just need a better understanding as to why this is such an issue.

Reasons I would like to cruise solo (notice I said LIKE to, not HAVE to):

1. I have three teenagers at home and need a break from people.

2. I'm enrolled more than full time in a challenging academic program and need a break from people.

3. DH works and can't always get away. Plus, someone has to stay home with the three teenagers.

4. I've always preferred to live alone but of course won't toss DH and kids out the window in order to have my own space. Why not have my own space for a week or so per year?

5. I'm one of the funniest, smartest, and most entertaining people I know; why wouldn't I want to travel with myself?

In answer to your other question, I don't think the cruise lines should be obligated to give solo travelers breaks. They will lose revenue because pax #2 won't be buying drinks, pics, shore excursions, trinkets, etc. I get it and so do most of the others here. That doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.

I think you are UNFORTUNATE that you are afraid/unable/unwilling to travel solo. Don't pity me; I am very comfortable being by myself and don't have to rely on others for entertainment or validation. I didn't take your post as unsympathetic, I took it as impolite.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic so please don't take it that way. I guess I am fortunate that I have never been a position to ever have to cruise solo.

My question is, do those that cruise solo do that as a choice? Do they prefer to be alone? If that is the case I think that it would be a premium you would need to pay for.

Even if I didn't have my husband, I can always find someone to share my room, a sister or a friend.

Please explain to me why some would choose to sail solo, and why they should get breaks when they are in a cabin that could accomodate more people.

Once again, please do not take this as a flame, it is not intended to be. I just need a better understanding as to why this is such an issue.

Most times solo by choice. Why must a person have to wait and always work around others schedule? Sometimes a person just wants to travel and cruise. No reason for anyone have to wait, delay or out right not travel because ones friends, family, spouse, etc simply can't travel at the time you want or where you want. Compromise can always be done but can't always be worked out. We had a group of us that were going on the Allure of the seas this October/November, we simply couldn't find a week that worked for all of us. My father passed so then didn't think I'd cruise at all this year. Then I said the heck with that I'm just going to go, I don't have to cruise with my friends to have a good time. Found and amazing deal on Carnival Freedom and just booked it.

Since that time period I then booked and already cruised another solo very spontaneously and had the time of my life. Booked it within 9 days of cruise and didn't tell a sole I was gone or on a cruise. That was my 2nd solo. I'm almost starting to prefer to travel that way. Will I still sail with family and friends, yes. But I will solo too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

Actually, this thread was just started yesterday around noon, based on the time stamp on the OP... maybe there are others out their on the same subject... I agree that their prices are still probably the best option for solos.

I would think they could occasionally offer a special where the single supplement was waived. Uniworld does this on "select sailings" for their European river cruises (probably means the ones that are least apt to sell out). I did one last year and had a blast. There were lots of singles onboard that would definitely not have been there otherwise.

Sorry, I assumed it was an "very old" thread because the solo suppliment on Carnival went up to 200% a long LONG time ago and I thought OP said it just happened yesterday for CCL so I assumed the post was entered a long LONG time ago! Didn't know they were talking about Disney. These abreviations get me sometimes. I also did not realize they were talking about the deposit. I just checked online TA and they still have only a $250 deposit for a 7 day CCL cruise even for solo. Same as before. I had to pay $750 for me and my 2 sisters to cruise next march but if I booked solo right now it would cost $250 for me.

Edited by Jana60

As far as solos not spending much, I think quite the opposite is true. Because I'm by myself, I tend to not like to sit in my room and drink, so I go to one of the bars for a pre- or post-dinner cocktail or glass of wine. I play bingo and participate in other onboard activities that may have a fee attached to them. Since I'm a single female, I book excursions thru the ship for safety and as a way to meet other passengers.

Roz

You know, you are probably right about solos spending. I am likely to spend far more on my upcoming two solo cruises, than I ever did on cruises I sailed with friends!

For the Carnival one, I've booked a ruins excursion, the Steakhouse, and will likely purchase from Bon Voyage, buy a photo or two, and have cocktails. Will likely book another excursion (again through Carnival).

You know, you are probably right about solos spending. I am likely to spend far more on my upcoming two solo cruises, than I ever did on cruises I sailed with friends!

For the Carnival one, I've booked a ruins excursion, the Steakhouse, and will likely purchase from Bon Voyage, buy a photo or two, and have cocktails. Will likely book another excursion (again through Carnival).

I've spent way more as a solo then with others with me. Between casino, bars, etc. my S&S has been way more then two in my cabin. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

I don't think its a majority, but if you cruise solo b/c you are single...then Carnival might want to re-think how much they think singles spend. Just b/c you are single doesn't mean you don't have money to burn. In fact, with no husband or kids, probably not a house payment or not a big one for a bigger house........there might be more expendable income for a single person, rather than a family who might be on a budget.

Of course.........might be the vice versa......