Calling back to the states

my_crib_too

My AT&T phone worked good enough for my D.D. to rack up a $60 phone bill.

Ha Ha! Back 10 yrs ago my son's girlfriend (before all had a cell) racked up $600 in collect calls to the US from Dominican Republic and most calls were only 10-15 minutes! And no warnings on cost! I've recently heard of high bills for data on the smart phones. I'm not even sure I want to take mine!

Buy a phone card and use the pay phones. Skip the cell phone. Many US cell companies charge $2 per minute from Bermuda. At the Dockyard, try Dockyard pharmacy in the mall for phone cards. In Hamilton, the best place is Phoenix Center Pharmacy (1 block behind Front St) or Onion Jack's on Front St.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our trip to Bermuda and I thought I would post what we found.

Every person leaving and returning to the NCL Dawn walked through this building. This line is a line of people getting back on the boat, you can see the boat in the background. Inside of this building is a small gift shop. This gift shop sells phone cards via a vending machine that accepts US dollars. We put in a USA $10 bill and out came the phone card.

On the left side of this picture you can also see several phones.

phone1.jpg

This is a picture of the phone card we purchased inside this gift shop for $10. $10 gives you 25 minutes of call time back to the states. There is a special 1-800 number to call. You call this number and enter the PIN# from the back to the card, then dial the US phone number you want.

phone2.jpg

This is a close-up picture of the phone area. Phones that accept this phone card are available in the Clocktower Mall and other places in the dockyard.

phone3.jpg

At one of the stores, we were told it was free. My mistake, thanks for the correction.

The only thing I can think of is that it's possible the wifi is temporarily being offered without charge because the company providing the service is embroiled in a dispute with the government over whether they need to have a license to offer the service.

Archived