what to do on kauai? golden princess 10/10/12-

dixiana

Hi there everyone - wondering what is best to do on Kauai-Golden Princess shore excursions seem to be a little pricey.

I read that sometimes a ship cannot dock in Kauai based on weather.

If you rent a car-where do you go to see the best of Kauai?

Maybe just take a shuttle to Wal-Mart shopping? Understand that there is a nice beach there behind a hotel?

I applaud Carnival for taking a stand on saved beach chairs!

Thanks for any feedback.

Hi there everyone - wondering what is best to do on Kauai-Golden Princess shore excursions seem to be a little pricey.

Maybe just take a shuttle to Wal-Mart shopping? Understand that there is a nice beach there behind a hotel?

Thanks for any feedback.

You would go all the way to Kauai and go to Walmart?????

Kauai was our favorite island. We rented a car and went to Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park, driving to the top most overlook. On the way back we stopped a Koloa and Poipu. Poipu has wonderful beaches if you are a beach person. I don't know about your port times, but we had an overnight. The next day we drove north to Princeville, Hanalei Bay (as in Puff the Magic Dragon) and the Kilauea Lighthouse.

Have you been over to the Hawaii Board--wonderful information.

Thanks for any feedback.

It appears you already have a good idea about what to do...have you researched the Hawaii board? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

We missed Kauai once due to strong winds & rented a car the 2nd time. We've been there several times on land tours so just took a drive to the north end. If you go there be aware they say that around 2:00-3:00 traffic heading into Lihue can be bad. We did some Christmas shopping because we only had to drive home from San Pedro.

If it's your 1st time visiting Kauai maybe go to Waimea Canyon (AKA Grand Canyon of the Pacific) or a visit to sunny Poipu Beach. Not knowing what you like to do there's no way to say what would be 'mo bettah' for you.

Kauai is so beautiful! I would encourage you to rent a car, preferably a jeep or convertible. You can drive north and visit the waterfalls, Kilauea Lighthouse and Hanalei and Kee Beach or you can go south and go to Poipu Beach, the blowhole, and Waimea Canyon. Both directions offer amazing scenery. Just take the opportunity to explore that beautiful island. If you settle for the beach by the ship you will truly be missing out.

Thanks for any feedback.

We are on the same cruise and we are doing, North Shore thru Princess.

Yes it is pricey.BUT if you consider it is a 6 hour tour with lunch not so bad.

Besides it is much safer than renting a car IMHO, you have to continnually stop in unfamiliar territory .... You cant drive and take pic's at same time worse than texting....could have unfortunate encounter with someone or something or even run off of the road...

The running off the road was the one i worried about . So we bit the bullet and decided this would be our splurge .It is not every day or year we get to Hawaii.

Hope to see you at M&G :)

Willis

OP - I know you are looking for an inexpensive alternative to the ship's tours and the car rental recommendations have been spot on but I would like to add that if there was ever a place to splurge on a helicopter ride around an island it is here. It is absolutely breathtaking and you see so much of the island that isn't visible by car.

Waimea falls then to the top is the best way to see much of Kauai. From there you can see a lot of the Napali coast and a lot more. Renting a car would be the best way. Best little restaurant on the way up to the top is Island Taco in the town of Waimea. Its NOTHING like you have ever had before & fantastic. I personally wouldn't drive all around to the other end as it would take you hours to do that. plus the traffic can be bad. For a nice beach, just go to Poipu. Great shave ice at Uncle's there in the Poipu shopping center which is to the right of the round about in Poipu. Having been to Kauai many times, don't rent a jeep. The extra expense is not worth it . But a convertible would be nice. So going to Waimea falls and then driving to the top and back, plus having lunch would take you about four hours or more to do with plenty of sight seeing along the way. I forgot, if you go to the sprouting horn, that's cool, plus they have many vendors for things to take home. Just be carefull your not buying stuff from China. Just ask where its made.

We have been to Kauai a few times and stayed there as well , it is a beautiful place, the rental car ideas are really good, the last time we were there last year we did the off road adventure from the ships tours and it was great , we went places we had never been before and it was fun , bit bumpy at times , but we loved it. The beach near the ship you can get to with the free shuttle that goes to the little shopping mall( I think it is called the Anchor mall, not sure ), and the beach is a quick walk from there , have been there it is very nice a calm swimming area , but not good for snorkeling.

what ever you decide to do , Kauai is lovely.

Cori

OP - I know you are looking for an inexpensive alternative to the ship's tours and the car rental recommendations have been spot on but I would like to add that if there was ever a place to splurge on a helicopter ride around an island it is here. It is absolutely breathtaking and you see so much of the island that isn't visible by car.

Had to chuckle when I read your reply.....because in 1985, before I was married, my girlfriend and I did a cruise around the islands with American Hawaii Cruises on the S.S. Independence. Kauai was our last port. We couldn't decide what to do there. We each had just enough money to do a 1 hour helicopter ride that cost us $100 each. We did it and we were so glad we spent our last 100 bucks on that! It was amazing. It took us into Waimea Canyon and up next to waterfalls you could never see from any road. I wonder what that 1 hour helicopter ride would cost now?

Had to chuckle when I read your reply.....because in 1985, before I was married, my girlfriend and I did a cruise around the islands with American Hawaii Cruises on the S.S. Independence. Kauai was our last port. We couldn't decide what to do there. We each had just enough money to do a 1 hour helicopter ride that cost us $100 each. We did it and we were so glad we spent our last 100 bucks on that! It was amazing. It took us into Waimea Canyon and up next to waterfalls you could never see from any road. I wonder what that 1 hour helicopter ride would cost now?

We did it a couple of years ago on a land vacation and can't remember the price but I googled them and it looks like the price as doubled in the last 27 years! We did it after having wonderful experiences in Alaska a couple of years earlier on a float plane in the Misty Fjords and the summit flight over Denali. It didn't disappoint!

We did the American Hawaiian Cruise Line for the 1999/2000 New Year/ Millennium Celebration! The SS Independence was a great ship! It only sailed with the line for a few more months, but we're happy that we had a chance to sail on her! :)

There is a lot to do there and to do nothing or just walk around would be a shame. We have done the canyon the falls the river all great plus what ever else you see in the process but the best by far. Blue Hawaiian Helicopter are second on the first the big island. Expensive but once in a lifetime.

You would go all the way to Kauai and go to Walmart?????

Kauai was our favorite island. We rented a car and went to Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park, driving to the top most overlook. On the way back we stopped a Koloa and Poipu. Poipu has wonderful beaches if you are a beach person.

I agree with renting a car. I was nervous about renting a car and then not making port. But we were assured we would not be charged if we couldn't make it in. Anyway, we made sure we were one of the first ones off the ship and onto the Thrifty shuttle. We got our car quickly and headed for Waimea Canyon, going all the way to the end to see the Napali Coast (as pizzalady1 said). That overlook was beautiful. The fog was just starting to come in and later viewers might not have gotten such a good view. Then we started back, stopping at all the overlooks to Waimea Canyon. The bus loads were just starting to arrive and I was SO glad we weren't among them. (I think they only stopped at the lower overlook). We then drove back across the island to see Wailua Falls. It turns out we had extra time and could have stopped off at other places on the way back. Instead, we turned are car back in decided to enjoy our balcony until the ship left. It wasn't that expensive a day... Just the car rental. (check out other threads here on how to get a good rental deal)

Archived