Silversea Food vs Seabourn Food

Les Picantins

Thanks.

I've discussed the issue a couple of years ago at a level that would initiate change if change were contempated. Not followed up since for reasons I said earlier, that is that it simply isn't of sufficient importance to us. Like you - we're content with it - in our case because the other aspects of SS are perfect for us.

I did however once have an interesting time trying to explain what "salad cream" was for my eggy sandwiches!:)

Do tell!

Thanks.

I've discussed the issue a couple of years ago at a level that would initiate change if change were contempated. Not followed up since for reasons I said earlier, that is that it simply isn't of sufficient importance to us. Like you - we're content with it - in our case because the other aspects of SS are perfect for us.

I did however once have an interesting time trying to explain what "salad cream" was for my eggy sandwiches!:)

If I wasn't married to a Brit, I wouldn't have a clue what "salad cream" was either:-)

If I wasn't married to a Brit, I wouldn't have a clue what "salad cream" was either:-)

I was very impressed when they went shopping for one in the next port AND on subsequent cruises it must have got picked up because they always had a bottle.

English girls understand such important things. ;)

I was very impressed when they went shopping for one in the next port AND on subsequent cruises it must have got picked up because they always had a bottle.

English girls understand such important things. ;)

I see that your mate wants to talk to you ;)

I have been on 4 SS cruises. The food quality and taste has declined sharply, as per my recent SS cruise. I did not try the specialty restaurants. I choose not to pay more on top of what I already paid for the cruise. Hot Rocks was ordinary. The Restaurant was average. I still enjoyed the cruise, but was not knocked over by the food.

For What it's worth, here is what we wrote in our review of the Silver Shadow last year. We are Seabourn fans and were disappointed by this cruise in general, although some of our problems were itinerary specific and not likely to repeat. That said, the food was far inferior to what we are accustomed to on Seabourn:

The dinners in the dining room were just dreadful from our menu selection/taste perspective. Lots of smoked duck, stilton, foie gras, gelees, etc. - heavy and odd combinations. We are easy to please, but tended to pick "always available" choices, which were bland but edible.

We ate at La Terrazza for one dinner and had an extraordinary pasta followed by tuna that couldn't be cut with a steak knife, so we hit both extremes. Breakfast and lunch buffets at La Terrazza were fine, but nothing special. I do appreciate that the Dining Room was open (though lightly used) for both breakfast and lunch, which was not true on Seabourn.

Tea was our favorite food event of the day. We missed having a dedicated coffee bar, but there were always a few places on board to get tea or coffee throughout the day.

Ah, salad cream...a British culinary classic. I suggest Nigella Lawson's recipe:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/old-fashioned-tomato-salad-217

Thanks!

I know it does make me a bad person, but NOTHING beats Heinz salad cream. It mustn't be the Lite version. It's the same with Heinz tomato ketchup, OK sauce, Colmans English Mustard and Lea and Perrins .....

Some things cannot be made.:o

Thanks!

I know it does make me a bad person, but NOTHING beats Heinz salad cream. It mustn't be the Lite version. It's the same with Heinz tomato ketchup, OK sauce, Colmans English Mustard and Lea and Perrins .....

Is salad cream the same as mayonnaise?

Is salad cream the same as mayonnaise?

Oh dear ....

Put very simply. No. :)

It was the first product designed by Heinz specifically for the Brits who didn't like the froggy muck.

I am ashamed to say that I substitute salad cream for everything asking for hollondaise. I am a peasant.

Thanks!

Can we add Bird's Custard Powder and Crosse & Blackwell mincemeat to the list?

:)

Can we add Bird's Custard Powder and Crosse & Blackwell mincemeat to the list?

:)

When you said "Crosse and Blackwell" I thought you were going to add "Branston Pickle" to the list - which has sadly taken a turn for the worst a few years ago.

What really "pickles" me is government interference with some of these brands. For example, not widely known but last year HP changed the recipe for the brown sauce (after it remaining exactly the same for 166 years) because Heinz took over the brand in 2005 and after signing up to the Coalition Government’s Responsibility Deal, which aims to reduce salt used by food manufacturers, and now there is less salt and more carbs. One of our top chefs sent back his sausages and mash in a London pub because he thought the sausages were off .... but it was the sauce.

This was a second "bitter blow" for HP sauce fans. The production was moved from Birmingham to Holland in 2007 and some of us - scared of the switch inevitably effecting the taste - started to stock up .... and this caused a run on the product.

HP sauce had been produced in Birmingham for over a 100 years but bacon sandwiches will now never be the same.

• 1 year later...

I see an improvement in the food on all of the ships I have been on lately, Cloud, Shadow and Whisper. It isn't outstanding but attractive and flavorful. Of course, not every item is for every taste. Enjoy! I also found the food better on SB but that was a few years ago and that one of the very few things we enjoyed on SB!

Going on the transatlantic in November

So will post on food

I can't compare the explorer to anything

As it was not about the food

We were on the spirit a year ago and thought the food was good but not spectacular.

Service was always good and attentive.

Recall the tapas were weird, but loved the explanation.

I guess I am not expecting a Michelin 5 star experience with the food, more of a total experience with all of the elements added together.

Boarding the Silver Spirit in under 48 hrs.! I will report right after!

I just had friends on the Silver Spirit for 3 weeks and they wrote me following:

Seabourn Quest fantastic design on the ship

SeaDream a lots of fun

Silver Spirit a lot better to excellent food and service surpasing the other 2!

A year later, can anyone tell me the food has improved on SS? Boarding Whisper in a few weeks after nearly two year hiatus. I do miss The Bar and wonder what is playing for entertainment.

The 'groove thing' are playing in the bar and the young lady singer not only has a very good voice but she is also a fine singer. She is a real sweetie.

The food issue is a perception thing, some good, some very good, and if you like beef then it is always excellent. Others may have a different view.

I just had friends on the Silver Spirit for 3 weeks and they wrote me following:

Seabourn Quest fantastic design on the ship

Silver Spirit a lot better to excellent food and service surpasing the other 2!

Interesting comments from your friends.

I've sailed on Silver Spirit twice (although the last time is almost 2 years ago now), Seabourn Quest, and Seabourn Sojourn (same design as the Quest).

All things considered, I like both lines equally and would have no hesitation booking either for future cruise. So for me it comes down to itinerary.

I think that SB has the edge on food, although I didn't think that after the first cruise on Quest.

I love the interior designs of the SB 'big sister' ships but a huge drawback for me is the lack of a promenade deck.

I think the service is different between the two lines and in that regard, it took me a little while to adjust to SB after Silversea.

My husband, however, who is probably more of a traditionalist than I am, hands down prefers everything about Silversea to Seabourn. Although our last SB cruise did win him over a little bit more.

Anyway, hope you have a great cruise on Silver Spirit. Spirit will always have a special place in my heart as I took my first ever cruise on her :)

uk jeff what dates and places have you visited on cruises. you seen to have many opinions......ps what is your BMI since you are slamming Americans.

your friend Sherry the Silversea Mole::

mom of 5..

pss

first time cruisers like me lets just be excited and ignore this bore

uk jeff what dates and places have you visited on cruises. you seen to have many opinions......ps what is your BMI since you are slamming Americans.

your friend Sherry the Silversea Mole::

mom of 5..

pss

first time cruisers like me lets just be excited and ignore this bore

What a very odd and unpleasant first post.

Since it is your first post, I'll give you some guidance. If you believe someone is 'slamming Americans' then you can report the thread. If you look top right of the post you will see an exclamation mark - oops sorry - exclamation 'point' in a red triangle. Click it and go ahead and report.

You can also choose to Ignore a poster if you don't like their comments.

Meanwhile can someone point me to the posts on this thread that are slamming Americans please? I appear to have missed them....

Archived