Gem or Breakaway

doemichael

hi looking some advice

Hopeing to go book cruise this week for June 2013. We want to go to New York for a few days then cruise. We are torn between Gem to Bahamas and Cape Canaveral or Breakaway to Bermuda.

We have only ever cruised in Med before. I am leaning towards Breakaway but as it only goes to one port my husband is leaning towards Gem as a few different ports.

What do you think ?

Like the Epic, the Breakaway may very well be a destination unto itself. Bermuda is beautiful, and sitting there for a few days will allow you to experience both the wonderful island plus the newest ship that NCL offers. Nothing against the other choice, but I would take Breakaway in a heartbeat

IMO Bermuda vs. The Bahamas, Bermuda wins handsdown. Bermuda is absolutely beautiful. Although there is only one port, you are docked for three days and there is lots to see and do on the island. Gem vs. Breakaway, personally I would pick the Gem. I have been on the Gem to the Bahamas and she is a beautiful ship, full of ammenities and is a big enough ship for me. I am not a fan of these huge mega ships. However, I realize I gave you an impossible choice as I don't think the Gem is traveling to Bermuda, only the Bahamas. Honestly, I would probably pick to leave from Boston on the Dawn to Bermuda. The Dawn is my favorite ship, thus far, in NCL's beautiful fleet of ships.

Bermuda wins for sure. My favorite island! There is a lot to see there and different beaches that you can visit. The Bahamas is nice too, but Bermuda is just so much more beautiful.

I have been on the Gem for a couple of cruise to nowhere trips and really enjoyed the ship. Will be on the Epic in a couple of weeks. So I can't compare ships yet. I tend to pick itinerary over ship though.

Book the Breakaway in June 2013 ... and then immediately book another cruise on the Gem. :D

I've been on the Gem for two cruises in a row for both itineraries and she's a lovely ship with wonderful crew. I'm very fond of the Jewel-class ships (Gem, Jewell, Pearl, Jade).

Like the Epic, the Breakaway may very well be a destination unto itself.

Agree. Breakaway will be brand spanking new with new venues, food, and entertainment choices. I can't wait to sail on her.

Bermuda vs Florida & Bahamas? To each their own and what makes an enjoyable vacation. Being able to explore a beautiful island for a few days without having to rush back to port (Bermuda) or being able to visit a few ports for a short amount of time for a sampling of activities (FL theme parks and Caribbean beaches). Then again...Bermuda on the Breakaway is like sailing ON a theme park on the way to the beach :p

Thanks for replies everyone, looks like it is going to be Breakaway. Have chosen date, have checked airfare ( from uk ). So just need to decide now which area of New York to look for a hotel.

Book the Breakaway in June 2013 ... and then immediately book another cruise on the Gem. :D

Lol I only I could

Thanks for replies everyone, looks like it is going to be Breakaway. Have chosen date, have checked airfare ( from uk ). So just need to decide now which area of New York to look for a hotel.

Check out the ports of call boards...the folks that live in NY are super helpful and gave me some great advice when I booked a last minute cruise from NYC. Have a great cruise!

Archived