Speciality restaurants: Would they charge me even though I swallow? See below.

chemist661

I recently had Stage 4 head/neck Cancer where I can not swallow and have to feed thru a stomach tube. (that is why I haven't posted in a long while). I feel I have sufficiently recovered to take a cruise and will see on 9/10 if I have the full "green" light from my Dr. to go on a cruise. I have no problem with travelling on airplanes in the USA--I got the go ahead from my Dr in May of this year. (I went back to work full time on 5/14/12. :))

Getting back to topic: My wife will go with me on the cruise and we have enjoyed eating in the Speciality Restaurants. I would not want to pay cover for myself when I can't swallow and have to put special (liquid) food into my stomach tube. (I would eat my liquid food in the stateroom before going to the restaurant).

Bottom line: Is asking the Speciality Restaurants to waive my cover charge a reasonable request due to my medical issues? I would just pay for my wife since she can eat and I would be with her for moral support. I would NOT even ask if I am able to eat at the restaurant.

Thank you for your replies. :)

Absolutely! I would be appalled if they tried to charge you! You may want to contact the special needs desk and arrange things in advance so there are no issues. I'm sure someone here will provide the contact information.

I'm glad to hear you are improving. Keep fighting!

They should absolutely waive the fee for you to join your wife at dinner. I doubt you will have any difficulty. I would contact the access desk and advise them of your needs.

They have a phone number, fax, and email address which is listed on the following web page. http://www2.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Best wishes and happy cruising to you!

I agree, call them in advance and I would write down the name of the person you spoke with. Once you get on the ship, I would go to the resturant and make sure they have things straight for you. If not, that gives them time to contact the office.

Im sure they will work with you.

Here's hoping the Dr says yes and you can go enjoy the seas

My only thought on this might be that you would be taking up a space that could be used by a paying customer, and therefore if the restaurant is full they may have to charge for taking the space. I would expect this would definitely be true at the teppanyaki restaurant, but I'm not speaking from any firsthand knowledge. Just a guess. I agree with everyone that you should check with the special needs desk before you sail.

My only thought on this might be that you would be taking up a space that could be used by a paying customer, and therefore if the restaurant is full they may have to charge for taking the space. I would expect this would definitely be true at the teppanyaki restaurant, but I'm not speaking from any firsthand knowledge. Just a guess. I agree with everyone that you should check with the special needs desk before you sail.

NOT this ^^^^

The cover charge is applied to each entree. If a person has 2 entrees, that's two cover charges.

If 2 people have 1 entree, that's 1 cover charge.

Though, I've never thought whether the 2nd person (not you OP, obviously) could just have appetizers... :confused:

Never been to Teppanyaki but I do understand what you are saying my understanding you are seating in a grouping there. This would not apply to the other specialty restaurants as the OP would not be taking up a seat that would be utilized by anyone else, since you only sit with the people you come with. I still can't see NCL charging even in Teppanyaki for the short time one seat would be utilized.

Good luck OP, keep up the fight.

I had a chest CT scan done on 9/1 and a follow up appointment on 9/10. The initial Dr found activity (small spot) in the rt lung but the Doctors are going back & forth on whether the spot is large enough (or real) to do a biospy on it. I am hoping that it is a false positive and I have no round 2 of treatment. (round 1 was pretty tough as I had to do Chemo & Radiation at the same time--some patients can not handle both at the same time and end up at the hospital--I was a little weak but did not need hospitalization :) for that). Round 2 will not be that bad.

They have a nice price on a 7 day NCL Canada/New England cruise on 10/19. (also Sept 21 is a nice price but airfare may be pricey unless I can find frequent flyer seats). This is Boston-Quebec City 7 day o/w cruise.

We took a 7 day Canada/New England cruise out of New York a few years ago and she abolutely LOVED it. Sept 23 is our wedding anniversary and my wife would be absolutely pleased if we took that cruise. I have to see if I can arrange everything on these dates, if not we would take the Oct 19 cruise.

As an alternative, I have car rentals reserved for all situations depending on what we are told on the 10th.

One positive thing that came out of this is I am not severely overweight anymore. I went from 320 lbs (5' 10" male) to 180 lbs which is the high end of normal. I haven't been this weight since age 17. (I'm 54 now).

Sorry to talk so much on the keyboard. Thank you for your support and we hope to see you on our next cruise. We will keep you posted on things. And we all will keep a positive attitude as cruising is FUN!! (being able to travel is GREAT!!!).

Sorry to talk so much on the keyboard. Thank you for your support and we hope to see you on our next cruise. We will keep you posted on things. And we all will keep a positive attitude as cruising is FUN!! (being able to travel is GREAT!!!).

Don't you dare apologize for talking! :)

Wishing you the best and hoping to get a great update from you soon!

Maybe at Teppanyaki, but I don't see where this should be an issue anywhere else. He'd be with his wife at a table for two. Who else would be sitting there?

If they don't charge a person dining solo for the unused space at a table for 2, why would they charge the OP? It just doesn't make sense to charge a person who is not eating, especially one with a very viable reason.

Go, enjoy the trip and get the special needs department to deal with the specialty restaurant reservation.

I cruised years ago with my DH who also had cancer and was fed by TPN (total perifferal nutrician) basically through a tube into a port. He would sit with me night after night at the restaurant and it just confused the waiters who wanted so much to make him something... anything he could eat. They tried so hard we actually felt sorry for them but they were great. We had a wonderful time and some wonderful memories. So just go and sit and have a wonderful time! You shouldn't be descriminated against because you can't eat and they just can't charge you! I would make such a stink if they even tried!

If you read the post, OP has clearly stated that he will be feeding himself in the room before heading to the restaurant.

I'd have to say he did not read the post as OP has clearly said his feeding tube is via his stomach which is typical for long term feeding tubes.

I agree with the other posters, let NCL know ahead of time the situation and there shouldn't be an issue. My Mother had breast cancer(one year post treatment, this November :)) and was unable to travel for almost two years and during the time she wasn't able to travel her credit from NCL( from the Star re-do in 2010) expired but NCL extended the credit for us twice, well past the original expiration date and were very accommodating. Also, congrats on your positive attitude and sense of humor. Cancer is horrible and hard but finding the positives in a bad situation really helped my Mom.

Archived