Fun Home Movie on Cruise Ship in 1955

mzloolue

Wow, they didnt have any chairhogs back in the 30's! Lucky folks.
DH's grandparents took a NYC-Bermuda cruise in 1938 aboard the Furness Lines' Monarch of Bermuda. The deck chairs came with a place for the deck steward to put the name of the passenger using the chair for the week. Easier to do on a smaller ship!

Actually how I happened to run across this video is I was looking at a decorating blog with photos of an old trophy collection.

There was an engraved silver cup that had been awarded for shuffleboard and I could read the name of the ship.

So naturally I googled the ship. :)

I was thinking how different an engraved silver cup is from a plastic ship on a stick piece of junk.

I don't think that anyone in 50 years is going to want to put an old Carnival ship on a stick on their mantle...

The video was made around the time I was born and it looks so antique.

Made me realize that I am older than I think sometimes.:eek:

DH's grandparents took a NYC-Bermuda cruise in 1938 aboard the Furness Lines' Monarch of Bermuda. The deck chairs came with a place for the deck steward to put the name of the passenger using the chair for the week. Easier to do on a smaller ship!

Strange. I was going thru my old stamp collection last week and came across a post card that one family member sent to another while cruising on the Furness lines Queen of Bermuda in 1939. A check on Wikipedia shows an interesting history as the ship was pressed into service in WWII shortly after that.

Here are some scans of the postcard.

img015.jpg

img016.jpg

Strange. I was going thru my old stamp collection last week and came across a post card that one family member sent to another while cruising on the Furness lines Queen of Bermuda in 1939. A check on Wikipedia shows an interesting history as the ship was pressed into service in WWII shortly after that.

img015.jpg

img016.jpg

That's awesome...

That's awesome...

If you liked that, you'll enjoy these. Thes are some of the cruise documents from a family members cruise aboard the SS Nassau in 1953. Interesting how things have changed from then to now. I'm glad I no longer have to make an appointment to take a bath. Enjoy!

I'm limited to 6 images (per CC). I'll post the rest below.

scan0004.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

scan0014.jpg

img015.jpg

img016.jpg

Nice postcard - thanks for sharing!

Actually how I happened to run across this video is I was looking at a decorating blog with photos of an old trophy collection.

There was an engraved silver cup that had been awarded for shuffleboard and I could read the name of the ship.

So naturally I googled the ship. :)

I was thinking how different an engraved silver cup is from a plastic ship on a stick piece of junk.

I don't think that anyone in 50 years is going to want to put an old Carnival ship on a stick on their mantle...

The video was made around the time I was born and it looks so antique.

Made me realize that I am older than I think sometimes.:eek:

Duh, apparently I need help on my reading comprehension.

The notes about the film clearly states it was filmed in the 1930s.

I was not born in the 1930s.:eek:

The silver trophy cup was engraved with the date 1939.

So it was awarded in the same time period as the film.

I noticed that guy in the bathrobe too.

Apparently not a recent oddity.

The post card and the passenger list are really interesting and just plain cool.

Archived