Answer from JH re: Early room access on non-FTTF ships

Scott34787

I know this was discussed before and there

was some questions about it. We are on

our 1st platinum cruise in Nov. so I wanted

to be sure. :)

Q: "John - Are platinum members allowed to go directly to their cabin upon boarding (before 1:30) even if FTTF is not offered on that ship? Thank you for your time."

John Heald:"For the most part yes but sometimes there may be a delay if debarkation was delayed Scott. Please let me know if you have any other questions. cheers"

I find JH often gives conflicting information. As I said on the Freedom two weeks ago we were told by the porters and VIP embarkation folks we could go straight to our room so we did so, no issue.

Your mileage may vary, as we know sometimes things are different on different ships.

Scott, thanks for the information!

No problem, Dolphin. It will be a moot point when

FTTF is available fleet-wide, but I decided to share

in case other Diamonds & Platinum are sailing on non-FTTF ships.

It's a small perk but a big one if you know what I mean.

I just hate hauling our carry ons around as we explore!

Just one more thing get our vacation off to a better start! :)

I took the bull by the horns on our 8/21 Spirit cruise. I walked thru the closed doors like I owned the ship, and went right to my cabin at 11:30 when we boarded. No one bothered us, spoke to us, questioned us. Dropped off our carry-ons, set our safe, and went back to Lido for lunch. I guess if they had questioned us, I would have "flashed" Platinum card. Now - what would have stopped the other 2,900 passengers on board from going to their cabins, I don't know...:p:)

Stu-

Do they tell you if the rooms are ready and you can go

or do you just head to your room?

There has been a sort of open secret that platinum rooms are finished first, so for past year or so we just go straight thru the closed doors to our cabin.

12 oclock when we do this nobody has ever stopped us and our cabins have always been finished and ready.

There has been a sort of open secret that platinum rooms are finished first, so for past year or so we just go straight thru the closed doors to our cabin.

12 oclock when we do this nobody has ever stopped us and our cabins have always been finished and ready.

Our cabin was definitely ready, also. It was interesting, as cabins all around us were not ready. Linens were on the floor by the door, doors propped open. All these cabins were covered by the same steward. None were Platinum members - most were blue or red cards. (we found out later) So I guess there is some sort of list the stewards have to work by to make sure Plat cabins are done first.

I take my stuff to the cabin as soon as I can also. I always feel a bit guilty about it sneaking in the halls. Sometimes the doors to the halls are locked but most often just closed. My cabin has always been ready. I usually find the door open. I try to find the steward so no one goes in there thinking they found a lot of stuff left by last passenger and gets rid of it all!

I have been platnium for 5 cruises now, I always head straight to my cabin- no one has ever said anything and 4-5 out of 5 times my cabin has been ready. 1 time just needed bathroom or to be vacuumed, can't remember. My friends always worry about getting caught I don't- I put things away and start decorating. Julie G.

Agreed. I could have sworn he came out after someone here boasted that this is a long time secret, that this perk by no way existed.

I think as mentioned it was not an 'official' perk but those who had platinum were 'aware' of the fact that there cabins were prepared first. Now with the FTTF program is has become more 'official' I guess and platinum cruisers can now walk 'proudly' to their cabins - without having to sneak around :)

I have been platnium for 5 cruises now, I always head straight to my cabin- no one has ever said anything and 4-5 out of 5 times my cabin has been ready. 1 time just needed bathroom or to be vacuumed, can't remember. My friends always worry about getting caught I don't- I put things away and start decorating. Julie G.

Decorating? I can't wait to see it!;)

I guess this means I will try to go to put my bags in the room.

If the room is ready, then good.

If they stop me or the room is not ready, then whatever...

I have always hesitated at the big closed doors.

but sometimes I have gone to the cabin and it was ready.

Another time when I opened the door someone said the cabins were not ready and ran me out.

No problem, Dolphin. It will be a moot point when

FTTF is available fleet-wide, but I decided to share

in case other Diamonds & Platinum are sailing on non-FTTF ships.

It's a small perk but a big one if you know what I mean.

I just hate hauling our carry ons around as we explore!

Just one more thing get our vacation off to a better start! :)

That's probably why he's saying yes. I would hazard a guess FTTF will be going fleetwide within the next month or two.

I think as mentioned it was not an 'official' perk but those who had platinum were 'aware' of the fact that there cabins were prepared first. Now with the FTTF program is has become more 'official' I guess and platinum cruisers can now walk 'proudly' to their cabins - without having to sneak around :)

Actually, he said THIS:

John Heald :

... am sorry if I missed this bit, it was a whirlwind of questions and I must have missed yours for which I am sorry. The official rule has been and still is that nobody, diamond or otherwise is suposed to go to their state room until the time on the letter that is given at embarkation or until an announcement is made. The fact that some ignore this is cheeky and not what they are suposed to do. In fact, I spoke to the Housekepping Manager about this moments ago as I read your question and he said that in his experience that most guests adhere to the rules and wait until the time stated.

excerpted from Cruise Critic post

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34890823&postcount=697

and Facebook post:

So does this mean that it is not a new perk for Platinum and Diamond Members but a compromise due to FTTF. I thought John said it was a new perk, and if so it should apply fleet-wide and not just to those ships offering FTTF. Just my two cents worth...

Archived