Is it too late to book for 2013?

Rustys Mom

I just got back from Alaska and my husband asked me to plan a trip to Australia. I am thinking Sydney to Auckland. Is there still time? I started working on Alaska to get into the private excursions. I would love to see gardens and wineries. There looks like cabins available on Jan. 16 and March 4th. Which would be better? I linked from the New Zealand site to list of travel agents specializing in that part of the world and 2 in Colorado. I live in Wyoming. I prefer small tour groups, so will avoid booking through Celebrity except maybe to get to airport after the cruise. I hope to fly into Sydney early to see the Blue Mountains and Featherdale Wildlife Park. Help please! :)

As January is peak summer school holidays here in Australia and NZ, I would choose 4th March, which is still summer, but off season.

Try to stay overnight in the Blue Mountains, as it is at its best at dawn and dusk. I stayed at a wonderful B&B there, which was walking distance to Echo Point, Katoomba and the Three Sisters.

As January is peak summer school holidays here in Australia and NZ, I would choose 4th March, which is still summer, but off season.

Try to stay overnight in the Blue Mountains, as it is at its best at dawn and dusk. I stayed at a wonderful B&B there, which was walking distance to Echo Point, Katoomba and the Three Sisters.

Agreed....a no-brainer really....go for the March cruise. No school holidays....this alone will make all the difference.

Hello Rusty's Mum

I deduce from your original post that you are looking at the Celebrity Solstice. An excellent ship, and whilst I have not sailed on her, from all reports she is one of the best. I suspect also that you are a Celebrity fan, and probably have loyalty points.

I say this because Princess Cruises also do the Aust/NZ cruise thing, and in particular they send the Diamond Princess (same size as the Solstice) down under for our summer cruising season. Princess also has 3 x Sun Class ships (70.000 tonnes) here as well.

I wondered why there was a gap between the Jan 16 and March 4 cruises, mainly because I felt that February was the best time to cruise these parts. We have done the NZ cruise 3 times, twice on Sapphire princess (sister to Diamond) and once on Sun Princess. My feeling is that February is best compromise on weather and most importantly seas conditions in the Tasman.

I see now that in Feb the Solstice is doing a 35 night B2B cruise from Auckland around Australia. This cruise is in 2 parts. Part 1 is 18 nights Auk to Fremantle (Perth) via the usual NZ ports plus Sydney, Hobart and Adelaide. Part 2 is 17 nights over the Top end (including Bali) visiting Darwin and the East coast of Queensland, finishing in Sydney.

I don't know your budget ($$$s and Time) but if you want to sail on Celebrity Solstice consider one of the cruises in Feb. You would get to see a whole lot more of Australia as well as NZ (if you did the Auk -Perth cruise)

There is so much to see, but if gardens and wineries are the go for you, consider Wellington and Auckland in NZ plus the Hunter Valley near Sydney. In Perth (WA) there are many excellent wineries (eg Swan valley and Margaret River)

Remember also that the Solstice and the Diamond are both US biased, which you should find more comforting. But generally they only do the one way cruises...Syd - Auk or Vise Versa. It means making sure your air travel is sorted accordingly...but I guess you would know all that.

BUT...Its definately not too late ! :D

Cheers

We are going on the Mar 4th cruise on the Solstice and have planned to stay 4 nights in Sydney before the cruise at the Hilton. We have booked a tour for Sat for the Blue Mountains with Blue Diamond and they are to pick us up at the hotel. They cater to small groups - no more than 12 in a tour. Check them out.

I just got back from Alaska and my husband asked me to plan a trip to Australia. I am thinking Sydney to Auckland. Is there still time? I started working on Alaska to get into the private excursions. I would love to see gardens and wineries. There looks like cabins available on Jan. 16 and March 4th. Which would be better? I linked from the New Zealand site to list of travel agents specializing in that part of the world and 2 in Colorado. I live in Wyoming. I prefer small tour groups, so will avoid booking through Celebrity except maybe to get to airport after the cruise. I hope to fly into Sydney early to see the Blue Mountains and Featherdale Wildlife Park. Help please! :)

I am restricted to time. My husband is retired but I plan on working a few more years. I looked at Princess and Holland America as well. But the first question my husband asks is if they are a part of Carnival. And they are so have to dismiss them. I plan on getting to Sydney a few days early. I am worried about lack of sleep. Billings, Montana to Salt Lake City to LA to Sydney. Thanks everyone for suggestions and will get busy planning for March.

Barb

I am restricted to time. My husband is retired but I plan on working a few more years. I looked at Princess and Holland America as well. But the first question my husband asks is if they are a part of Carnival. And they are so have to dismiss them. I plan on getting to Sydney a few days early. I am worried about lack of sleep. Billings, Montana to Salt Lake City to LA to Sydney. Thanks everyone for suggestions and will get busy planning for March.

Barb

Hope you have a wonderful cruise in March. Good idea to fly into Sydney a few days early to recover from your jet lag before your cruise.

YES! You've got time and opportunities to put things together. We are looking forward to our Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, doing 14 days on this nice ship, finishing in Auckland. As noted, focusing on March lessens the "competition" with Aussies vacationing in Jan. It also gives you more time to do added planning and preparing.

We are probably going to do some pre-cruise options for Kangaroo Island near Adelaide and then the Great Barrier Reef before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, probably post-cruise in Queenstown and stopping in Tahiti on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. Considering what and how you do your pre and post options are important!! We have a nice and active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Might check there to see lots of visuals on the many options and other details to consider. Lots of info and help on these boards.

Which cruise line are you considering and most interested in using? Tell us more!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,454 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We are sailing HAL Oosterdam on Feb. 6 from Sydney to Auckland. Come on and join us on this adventure!

Unfortunately Holland America is out of the question since they are also part of Carnival. I was on their website requesting e-mail specials and they asked if I wanted e-mails from their sister companies. That included Princess as well. So looking at Celebrity.

Barb

Rustys Mom. You may want to take a look at Royal Caribbean. They have 2 ships down under that may fit your needs. Not sure how many days you want to be gone. I am loyal to royal, and that is why I am specifically looking at them; so i am a little biased. However, this is what I found interesting about the 14 nighter from Sydney to New Zealand AND BACK. First, you can get round trip airfare from Sydney. Second, it is docked in Sydney (either at the beginning or end of the cruise) so you will already have your accommodations while you are in Sydney, right down in the harbor. I am specifically looking at the Radiance of the Seas on 2/20. Just a thought. Also, I really like the stops they make in New Zealand.

Unfortunately Holland America is out of the question since they are also part of Carnival. I was on their website requesting e-mail specials and they asked if I wanted e-mails from their sister companies. That included Princess as well. So looking at Celebrity.

Barb

And the problem with being owned by the Carnival Corporation is....?

I am just thrilled he wants to go on a cruise since I went on the last one by myself. He is entitled to his opinions, but not sure if it political or safety reasons. He is a conservative senior.

I am thinking of either Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. Thanks everyone for the comments.

Barb

We have booked a tour for Sat for the Blue Mountains with Blue Diamond and they are to pick us up at the hotel. They cater to small groups - no more than 12 in a tour. Check them out.

Just a quick comment -- we were in Sydney for a week last November following a cruise from Honolulu to Sydney. We used Blue Diamond for a day trip to the Blue Mountains and Featherdale. We were very impressed with Blue Diamond and highly recommend them.

I am just thrilled he wants to go on a cruise since I went on the last one by myself. He is entitled to his opinions, but not sure if it political or safety reasons. He is a conservative senior.

I am thinking of either Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. Thanks everyone for the comments.

Barb

Both excellent choices out of Australia/NZ, Barb.

Archived