VEENDAM REVIEW: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

irisheileen

In all honesty, I'd be disinclined to invite friends to cruise on the Veendam in her current shape. We once invited dear friends to join us on the Rotterdam and it was truly the most disasterous cruise. I am gun shy these days.

I really am a HAL cheerleader, but I would be hard pressed to explain the hanging wire mesh in the dining room and why the ship has not been taken out of service in all this time to make adequate repairs to such eyesores as well as the additional problems with the A/C system. It really is a shame.

Sher

Thanks, Sher.

I soooo get your point but am immensely grateful they are not new to HAL. We have sailed Maasdam with them in the past and they have sailed four other HAL ships so they are as involved in the decision making as us. They don't come to CC and read all the posts I do but I will share with them what I have read here. They sailed Veendam once prior to Retreat and the rest of the mess.

I'm sooooooo happy they are not 'HAL' newbies and a poor experience on Veendam would not automatically be 'my fault'.

I don't think any itinerary could get me back on board Veendam.

Since I left her in June, there have been more and more poor reviews about her A/C issues, plumbing problems, poor service, etc. Things have not gotten better and it's clear they use tape and band aids to fix the problems each week. I wonder what will happen when she sails to S. America?

Thanks, Sher.

I soooo get your point but am immensely grateful they are not new to HAL. We have sailed Maasdam with them in the past and they have sailed four other HAL ships so they are as involved in the decision making as us. They don't come to CC and read all the posts I do but I will share with them what I have read here. I'm sooooooo happy they are not 'HAL' newbies and a poor experience on Veendam would not automatically be 'my fault'.

Thank you for understanding the spirit in which what I said was intended!!;)

I just felt so darned badly when everything turned to "you know what" on the one cruise where we had raved about HAL to our new to HAL friends. They got stuck in an elevator for 30 minutes and then never received an explanation or apology. And that was just one of the problems. I felt it was my fault.

Since I left her in June, there have been more and more poor reviews about her A/C issues, plumbing problems, poor service, etc. Things have not gotten better and it's clear they use tape and band aids to fix the problems each week. I wonder what will happen when she sails to S. America?

The only thing that I noticed was the net over the MDR ceiling. I realize that there were issues other CC'ers have pointed out...I just didn't' notice them. Kinda glad that the maintenance issues mentioned here on CC blended into the woodwork for me so to speak.

If you remember, I helped a coworker with their booking on the Veendam the week before we sailed. I have to say I was a bit nervous that all might not go well for them on board. As it turned out they DID have trouble with a warm room and needed a fan all week. To my surprise she didn't really complain to me...she took it in stride and loved the vacation, her first in 2 decades and her first cruise.

I am so glad it worked out for you. :D I am sure she was full of gratitude for a well deserved cruise!!!

I am not sure my friends "blamed me" but I was aware of how precious their vacation time and funds were and how disappointed they were by the cruise.

Since I left her in June, there have been more and more poor reviews about her A/C issues, plumbing problems, poor service, etc. Things have not gotten better and it's clear they use tape and band aids to fix the problems each week.

I wonder what will happen when she sails to S. America?

Since we're "inn free" next summer, I'm thinking of booking the August 7 day cruise, Boston to Boston. Call me "stupid", I guess! :eek:

Which cabin will you book is the question!

No idea, Eileen!

I'm just thrilled to be "done" with our inn, after 19 years, and never being able to travel from April through October, so I'd be thrilled with anything!!!

We may do a Maasdam 7 or 14 day Canada/NE cruise from Boston, or the Veendam 7 day round trip from Boston.

No idea, Eileen!

I'm just thrilled to be "done" with our inn, after 19 years, and never being able to travel from April through October, so I'd be thrilled with anything!!!

We may do a Maasdam 7 or 14 day Canada/NE cruise from Boston, or the Veendam 7 day round trip from Boston.

Enjoy your new freedom!

Since we're "inn free" next summer, I'm thinking of booking the August 7 day cruise, Boston to Boston. Call me "stupid", I guess! :eek:

Sheila,

Congratulations on becoming "Inn Free". :) You'e mentioned several times you would like to sell it.

We have done that 7 day cruise at least 3 or 4 times and love it. HAL has not offered it for years and we were thrilled to see it offered again but so much would rather it be on Maasdam.

We have done it with several times Newport being a port and once when Maasdam called at Martha's Vineyard. We've done it to Portland twice and love that city.

It's a great cruise IMO

The ultimate irony is that Hotel Manager Hernandez is actually a very friendly, outgoing man with an great sense of humor. I'm sorry you had such a negative experience as we have sailed with him a number of times and always smile when we hear his name or think of him. Maybe he was just having a bad week...... (Yes, I get it.... in the hospitality business one should never have a bad day let alone week. :D )

Thanks for sharing with us about your cruise.

Welcome back.

Thanks very much irisheileen for the wonderful review of your cruise. Sounds like you had a great time and I'm glad you did not run into some of the problems others have on that ship.

We have cruise many times with Hotel Manager Douglas Hernandez, and have to agree with Sails. He has always been very friendly and outgoing (and oh so handsome).:D He was the Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam for many years. I had heard he was over on the Veendam. I'm sorry but the first thing that came out of my mouth was who did he p*%@ off. I think everyone know my opinion of the Veendam, so that's no surprise. And Hal's ultimate revenge is to put her on the west coast in 2014.:mad: Guess who is going to start cruising Princess again?:D

Which cabin will you book is the question!

That is why I have suggested for months that someone start a specific thread on Veendam where people can list the cabin they were in, date, and any issues with a specific cabin good or bad. It is probably the same staterooms that have a continual problem.

I did re-read your review and you are right that the first time that I read it, I missed the irony regarding the Hotel Manager.

When we were onboard in April I thought the Cruise Director on Veendam was the best one we had had on any HAL cruise. He was there when we disembarked, and actually hugged me goodbye. While last years VOV on Maasdam was our overall best HAL cruise, on that cruise (we actually did the first half of the VOV) there was no crew farewell at the disembarkation talk even though 200 passengers were leaving, and not one officer or crew member was there when we disembarked to say goodbye. My point is that the officers and crew continually change, so you do not know who will be onboard.

That is why I have suggested for months that someone start a specific thread on Veendam where people can list the cabin they were in, date, and any issues with a specific cabin good or bad. It is probably the same staterooms that have a continual problem.

I did this, even offered to keep a Googke Docs file so we could keep it up-to-date and organized.

I was destroyed for the attempt by several posters. Called names, told I was wasting time, etc. So I gave up may efforts.

... we could see PLENTY of available tables and seats while we dined. Every night. Why then when we exited the MDR between 7-730pm did we see LONG lines waiting to get a table? We would overhear staff explaining 40 minute wait?!? Who were they SAVING the tables for if not those in line?
It could have been that they just didn't have the staff to handle all the tables. Of course that's a different problem ...

I did this, even offered to keep a Googke Docs file so we could keep it up-to-date and organized.

I was destroyed for the attempt by several posters. Called names, told I was wasting time, etc. So I gave up may efforts.

Where is the link? I will add to it.

The ultimate irony is that Hotel Manager Hernandez is actually a very friendly, outgoing man with an great sense of humor. I'm sorry you had such a negative experience as we have sailed with him a number of times and always smile when we hear his name or think of him. Maybe he was just having a bad week...... (Yes, I get it.... in the hospitality business one should never have a bad day let alone week. :D )

Thanks for sharing with us about your cruise.

Welcome back.

We went to the pizza making session and found both the Captain and HM quite friendly and chatty. They no longer shake hands now, that is the custom due to viruses.

We went on the Bermuda cruise twice, April 29 and July 29. Enjoyed both cruises immensely.

Loved the convenience of Bermuda and Dock side on one side, St. George's on the other side. We would go one way via bus and another via ferry. Nice to have a choice and the passes allowed this.

Thanks very much irisheileen for the wonderful review of your cruise. Sounds like you had a great time and I'm glad you did not run into some of the problems others have on that ship.

We have cruise many times with Hotel Manager Douglas Hernandez, and have to agree with Sails. He has always been very friendly and outgoing (and oh so handsome).:D He was the Hotel Manager on the Oosterdam for many years. I had heard he was over on the Veendam. I'm sorry but the first thing that came out of my mouth was who did he p*%@ off. I think everyone know my opinion of the Veendam, so that's no surprise. And Hal's ultimate revenge is to put her on the west coast in 2014.:mad: Guess who is going to start cruising Princess again?:D

Melody: Guess "Handsome" is in the eye of the beholder. I do not find him the least bit good looking. The one I feel sorry for is Captain Mercer. He was the Veendam's first Captain during the innaugural run in the Caribbean. He was truly handsome then, so good looking HAL used him in TV commercials. He must be very sad about the condition of the Veendam now. Hope that bucket of bolts never makes it to the West coast.:eek:

Eileen: Thanks for posting & honesty of your conversation with the arrogant hotel manager, Mr. Hernandez. Arrogance is something I cannot tolerate. I have sailed with Capt. Mercer & found him always out and about the ship, talking to the passengers. Mind you that was many years ago, during the innagural season of the Veendam in the Caribbean in 1996 - long before all these dreadful renovations.:)

Archived