Things to do at night?

Orator

We like to dance before & after dinner, but the band schedules aren't conducive. Also, they take reallllly long breaks. After a full touring day, it's hard to stay awake waiting. We've closed a lot of lounges. I think they wait for us to leave.;)

Celebrity is the wrong cruiseline if you are interested in late night life.

My husband and I love to dance as well and we wish Celebrity would do a little better planning for the bands. We agree about long breaks - we were on the Infinity last month and for the last set they played for 1/2 hour took a 1/2 hour break (or longer) and then came back and played for 20 minutes or so. Needless to say, that was enough to lose most of the people in the lounge who came to listen to the music or dance....

A couple of years ago we did a 14 night Celebrity Mercury cruise to New England/Canada where there was little to do after 11pm (typical of X). They happened to have a decent comedian onboard and after getting some requests the Cruise Director decided to have a late night (midnight) one-time Comedy show. They scheduled this in the relatively small theater off the Atrium. We went to the usual late sitting show and when we came out decided to go to the comedy show. Well guess what....at least half the ship was trying to get into that show (in a tiny theater) and most (including us) could not go because it was full. And this was a midnight show! The CD really messed up because he could have scheduled or moved the show to the main theater but instead managed to anger many who could not get in the only late night show they had for the entire 2 weeks. We talked to the CD the following day and he said that he was sorry but had no idea there were that many passengers who would want to go to a late show. I should mention we are in our 60s....but are still able to stay awake past midnight on some nights :)

Hank

The Europe itineraries are pretty jam packed and tend to have long days so people tend to retire earlier I've found. There have been a few times where I was looking for someplace after say 11:00 pm and most venues you could fire a cannon through. However when you travel with a bigger group it's kind of fun to own the venue and revel somewhat later, especially if you have a sea day the following day....:D

I'm in my early 40s and go on X to get away and relax. Most evenings before a port I'll hit the sack by 11pm but if a sea day it might be as late as midnight. After all, I need my energy for that port of call at 8am but need my 8 hours of sleep to recover from the 60 hour work weeks at home.

That said, what I want is a place with soft music playing to relax over a drink after dinner with hubby and friends. I might dance, but don't care if it is to recorded music or live. I don't need much night life.

I imagine the itinerary has a lot to do with it. On my southern caribbean cruise on Millenium, I went into the club a couple of times later in the evening and the dance floor was pretty full. But with the long, tiring days in Europe, can't image too many people want to stay up late dancing.

I'm interested to see how the transatlantic plays out - I'm expecting the first half to be very sedate (if it isn't, I won't know, I'll be in bed!:o:D).

I'm not a club girl, which is part of the reason i like Celebrity, but I agree with the suggestion of some "adult" comedy, or an interactive piano bar. Would be nice if a couple of venues were still relatively busy at midnight, at least on the eve of sea days.

Hi, Scrappyt. DW and I are going on a Southern Caribbean cruise (Eclipse) in November and I'm glad to see that there will be some nightlife. We love to dance.

For those who really like to stay up late, it's worth noting that we sailed on the Infinity around South America, a wonderful cruise for many reasons, not the least of which was that they had two bands (one English, one Spanish) in the dance club most evenings and (I think) followed by a DJ. As I recall, the music went 'til about 1 a.m. I hope our upcoming cruise will be comparable in terms of nightlife.

Did the cruise you were on include a deck party?

As Phoenix Dream said, it doesn't matter what is planned for late night entertainment, if no one attends, it's going to be dead. However, Celebrity does not plan much organized entertainment for after 10:30 or so, perhaps because they have found that no one attends. .

Totally Agree!

No matter what Celebrity offers in the later evening, when the pax base has little interest in things after 11 PM ... very very few will be there.

~~~~~~

Maybe if they toned the music down a little in the Sky Lounge so people could at least understand each other, we would stay longer as well.

As from a certain age, you don't want to just be on the dance floor for the whole time, but sit some out as well. However because of the VERY loud music you can only sit mute and stare at each other. And therefore there is no point in going with some friends or as a group. Then we rather get up and go after one drink.

Part of the reason we chose Celebrity for the first time in December is the laid back attitude. Frankly, on vacation, we actually go to bed earlier than we do back home. No long days working late at the office, no dinners to cook and clean up after, no housework or laundry to do late at night, no kids sports schedules. It's a breather for us. We are in our early 40's and we'll typically be lights out by 10. 11 at the latest! Of course, if there were late night entertainment, it wouldn't bother me in the least, as long as I couldn't hear it thumping overhead. But honestly, it was Celebrity's relaxed vibe that made me choose it over other lines.

Hi, Scrappyt. DW and I are going on a Southern Caribbean cruise (Eclipse) in November and I'm glad to see that there will be some nightlife. We love to dance.

Did the cruise you were on include a deck party?

I don't think there was a deck party, but I don't have the best memory so don't quote me on that. ;) I hope you have fun and find enough fellow dancers on your cruise to keep the club hopping.

At the risk of revealing what old fogies we are, our wish list would

include being able to watch our favorite network TV shows in our cabin at night, especially on nights when we don't care for the main show. The TV offerings on Celebrity do include some pretty good movies though, better than on any othe cruise line we have tried.

Do they play the QUEST game on Celebrity? I don't remember it being on our 11 day sailing on the Equinox. If they did, it must have been so late we were already in for the night.

Another wish would be a comfy reading chair or sofa in the cabin. Those board hard sofas on the S Class ships are just awful.

And just in case the new CEO is reading this, please monitor the noise level of the entertainment. There have been many threads of people complaining of this, and it never changes. Excessive noise destroys hearing! I shouldn't have to wear ear plugs when I go to a show.

Lynne

If they have all this noisy music in bars and even other places like the breakfast buffet:eek: to encourage younger cruisers to cruise with X then they are going to have to put some entertainment, lively night clubs etc. on late and into the early mornings aren't they?

We are early to bed these days as I just cant keep awake so it really wouldn't matter if there was any or not as I wouldn't be there anyway. However an odd later evening enjoying a quiet drink in a lounge chatting, with some pleasant background music, would be very nice.

Someone had commented earlier about Quasar being dead and maybe Celebrity should rethink how they use this space. Well they did on the Reflection. Quasar is gone, replaced by conference space. The conference space that was originally by the Sky Observation Lounge on the other S class ships is now the Signature and Reflection suites. Maybe having fewer spaces will create more of a crowd in the remaining spaces.

Archived