Hotel in Venice - a bit overwhelmed!!

sweetpea222

We'll be in Venice for two nights pre-cruise next July, looking for a reasonably priced hotel to accommodate 4 of us, two adults and two 12 year olds. I've been reading on here and trip advisor and I'm getting overwhelmed trying to decide the area to stay in and trying to figure out which hotels can accommodate us and will hopefully offer a breakfast.

There are actually 11 of us travelling, all meeting up in Venice beforehand. I'm not even going to try to look for a b&b or hotel that will please everyone, but will search for the best area/price for us and then let them know where we'll be.

The hotel I'm leaning towards currently is Locanda di Osaria, which works out to $352 euros for the two nights, but has terrific reviews on trip advisor and is close to the train station and cruise port.

Can anyone else offer another choice or two? Please, if possible, include the average price for July and the location and why it's good. We've never been before so don't have a clue. We'll just be travelling with carry on luggage so hauling lots of luggage won't be an issue for us.

Many thanks. I know this has been asked before but I thought I'd try to get the most up-to-date info. :)

Venice is 100% tourism based. I can understand being overwhelmed.

A few things about Venice may help. It is a city that cannot be changed. There are no new buildings. Most hotels a were someones house in the past. They have been renovated but the renovations to structures are very limited.

You need to walk everywhere. The only means of transportation is by water or by walking and normally a combination of both.

Many streets are cobblestones and you will need to cross bridges everywhere. That means dragging your suitcases behind you on the cobblestones and up and down the steps of the bridges (yes, many bridges have steps as opposed to ramps).

So, my recommendations for a hotel would be to stay in the Piazzelle Roma area. It is the only place in Venice cars or buses can go (so from the airport just ask for Piaazzle Roma). It is a very nice area and you can catch the water buses (vaporetto) from there too.

It is an easy people mover ride (2 euros) and short walk to the pier to get to your ship from there. Lots of hotels in the area as well as restaurants and shops.

A particular hotel name, no, I have none but, most rooms are small and quite old in almost all the hotels. Anything on the main canal will be much more expensive too. Any hotel with breakfast included is a smart idea as well.

While I am sure Locanda di Osaria is a nice place, it is not as close to Piazza Roma as you may think. It is a good 20 + minute walk and over some bridges just to Roma then the people mover then the 5 minute walk to the port entrance.

We'll be in Venice for two nights pre-cruise next July, looking for a reasonably priced hotel to accommodate 4 of us, two adults and two 12 year olds. I've been reading on here and trip advisor and I'm getting overwhelmed trying to decide the area to stay in and trying to figure out which hotels can accommodate us and will hopefully offer a breakfast.

There are actually 11 of us travelling, all meeting up in Venice beforehand. I'm not even going to try to look for a b&b or hotel that will please everyone, but will search for the best area/price for us and then let them know where we'll be.

The hotel I'm leaning towards currently is Locanda di Osaria, which works out to $352 euros for the two nights, but has terrific reviews on trip advisor and is close to the train station and cruise port.

Can anyone else offer another choice or two? Please, if possible, include the average price for July and the location and why it's good. We've never been before so don't have a clue. We'll just be travelling with carry on luggage so hauling lots of luggage won't be an issue for us.

Many thanks. I know this has been asked before but I thought I'd try to get the most up-to-date info. :)

Look at the Hotel Olimpia and Hotel Arlecchino. Both very close to Piazzale Roma. Look for hotels in the Santa Croce or Carnerrigio neighborhoods. www.venere.com

We had many of the same worries and confusion as you, and have selected the Best Western Hotel Olimpia for our pre- and post-cruise stay in Venice next month. Great reviews, great location, great to deal with their customer service via email, free breakfast and wifi. Chekc it out on tripadvisor.

Good luck and happy cruising!! :)

Celine

Can I add myself as a person interested in this information. We (dh and I) are cruising in May with one night pre-cruise in Venice. We probably will not be travelling light (as the OP is).

Any assistance is appreciated and we are hoping to hear from some people who have stayed in various hotels with their recommendations or warnings to stay away.

Thanks.

There are actually 11 of us travelling, all meeting up in Venice beforehand. I'm not even going to try to look for a b&b or hotel that will please everyone, but will search for uthe best area/price for us and then let them know where we'll be.

Terrific? Well maybe a good hotel..but terric..not really. The hotel claims to be non smoking but our quad room stunk of cig smoke..not our double though. We i mentioned this the front desk said they couldnt help it if guests smoked...um ok..then dont advertise as smoke free.

Thanks for the replies. Many of the reviews for the Locanda hotel on tripadvisor mention that it is just steps from the train station, so I wonder if we are thinking of the same hotel? Here is the page for reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g187870-d205796-Reviews-or10-A_La_Locanda_di_Orsaria-Venice_Veneto.html#REVIEWS

I read through the first three pages (most recent reviews) and it seemed most people were very pleased with the hotel and particularly the people working there.

That said, I'm definitely shortlisting other hotels as well. I am experiencing a little bit of 'sticker shock' at the prices, but as my husband says, we'll only be in Venice most likely once in our lives...

I would recommend Hotel Abbazia or its sister B&B the Abbazia Deluxe. We stayed here pre cruise and the location and accommodations were very good.

We visit Venice quite often and have stayed in quite a few hotels there, but for location to the port those two are excellent.

http://www.abbaziahotel.com/

http://www.abbaziadeluxe.com/

Thanks for the replies. Many of the reviews for the Locanda hotel on tripadvisor mention that it is just steps from the train station, so I wonder if we are thinking of the same hotel? Here is the page for reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g187870-d205796-Reviews-or10-A_La_Locanda_di_Orsaria-Venice_Veneto.html#REVIEWS

I read through the first three pages (most recent reviews) and it seemed most people were very pleased with the hotel and particularly the people working there.

That said, I'm definitely shortlisting other hotels as well. I am experiencing a little bit of 'sticker shock' at the prices, but as my husband says, we'll only be in Venice most likely once in our lives...

The reviews are probably correct.

Look it up on Google and view Google maps in earth view and you can zoom right in and "walk" your way to Piazzele Roma and the people mover (in the parkade) and even to the port.

Yea, sticker shock in Venice is common. Remember , if you sit for a coffee or drink, it will cost you more (in all of Italy). Piazza San Marco is magnificent and with the orchestras playing it is near impossible not to sit down and have a cuppicino or a Spritz but, you will pay dearly for that privilege.

A Gondola ride is about 80 euros for the ride 9for all of you). I did see a neet thing when I was there last time and it may interest your Sons. It is called Row Venice, http://WWW.RowVenice.com. You all may like it?

Get a vaporetto pass and you can use it to get to the outer islands, Murano, Burano, Torcello and Lido etc. Use it to get a view of the Grand Canal. make sure you do it at night too, beautiful.

Do not take any of the "free" rides to Murano, they are high pressure sales tactics.

Great information, thanks so much! Especially taking the vaporetto at night. I can't wait to actually be there. :D

I'll plug two or three hotels into google maps right now to see how far they are from the train station. As I said earlier, we are travelling relatively light, but after a very long flight from the west coast of Canada, I am sure the shorter the trip to our hotel, the better.

We loved Locanda Orseolo. It was perfect for us. Great location, beautiful decor, wonderful view, delicious breakfast, helpful staff.

All the terrific reviews that you read here are true - Trip Advisor link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d256241-Reviews-Locanda_Orseolo-Venice_Veneto.html

Direct link to hotel website:

http://www.locandaorseolo.com/

Are you familiar with this helpful website:

Venice for Visitors

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Lots of great information can be found here.

Rick Steves has wonderful audio walking tours that you can download FREE for your iPod: http://www.ricksteves.com/ae/ae_menu.htm

We did the Grand Canal tour and St. Mark's Square and Basilica tour.

Have a great time. Venice is magical!

hotel olimpia has a good deal right now if you "like" them. prepaid but refundable.

Do you know what the discount is when you use the facebook promo code, and does it extend to next summer?

It does look like a nice place to stay and certainly gets good reviews. :)

We just stayed two nights pre-cruise at the BW Olimpia at Plaza Roma. We liked it very much and it was very convenient. Just be sure that, looking at the maps, you're oriented the right way - we weren't and spent some time before we realized it. It's near the "back" of the area where the buses drop you off, across a small bridge with a few steps.

Thanks so much for your replies!

So I spent some time emailing various B&B, going both by these recommendations and those on trip advisor. It was interesting that some hotels only allowed you to specify "children" up to the age of 10 while others allowed you to go to 12 years old.

When I tried the Olimpia hotel, they only allowed children up to 10 so I had to search using 4 'adults' - the cost for the two nights was over 450 euros, so a bit more than I was hoping to pay!

I narrowed it down to two hotels:

Gio & Gio B&B Hotel

http://www.giogiovenice.com/

La Locanda di Orsaria

http://www.locandaorsaria.com/

Both came back with the same price (340 euros for two nights, July 8-10, 2013). The Gio and Gio is closer to St. Mark's square, and was able to offer us a Jr. Suite with seating area and balcony with view of the canal, and breakfast daily. The Locanda is a quad room, no real view listed.

They are both well-reviewed on TA. At this point I have put a hold request in for the Gio hotel, as the view sounds divine and it's right in the heart of things. As I said initially, we are travelling light so don't expect to have to haul tons of luggage all over the place. The Orsaria hotel is steps away from the train station, and also looks nice but more on the outskirts of the city. Both have air conditioning, which is great.

If anyone has stayed at either of these places, please feel free to offer reviews, both good and bad. :D

So I spent some time emailing various B&B, going both by these recommendations and those on trip advisor. It was interesting that some hotels only allowed you to specify "children" up to the age of 10 while others allowed you to go to 12 years old.

When I tried the Olimpia hotel, they only allowed children up to 10 so I had to search using 4 'adults' - the cost for the two nights was over 450 euros, so a bit more than I was hoping to pay!

Gio & Gio B&B Hotel

La Locanda di Orsaria

Both came back with the same price (340 euros for two nights, July 8-10, 2013). The Gio and Gio is closer to St. Mark's square, and was able to offer us a Jr. Suite with seating area and balcony with view of the canal, and breakfast daily. The Locanda is a quad room, no real view listed.

They are both well-reviewed on TA. At this point I have put a hold request in for the Gio hotel, as the view sounds divine and it's right in the heart of things. As I said initially, we are travelling light so don't expect to have to haul tons of luggage all over the place. The Orsaria hotel is steps away from the train station, and also looks nice but more on the outskirts of the city. Both have air conditioning, which is great.

If anyone has stayed at either of these places, please feel free to offer reviews, both good and bad. :D

have you try on tripadvisor?

We booked Santa Chiara for two nights for 4 people.

I have been searching and nothing cheaper as the reason I booked it for near cruise port that we can use people mover to cross over.

Scottishwee35

I just stayed at the a riviera Hotel on Lido. Everything on Lido is more reasonably priced and hotel is right across street from water bus stop. Get a 48 or 82 hour water bus pass, it's good from airport to hotel and to ship, gets you everywhere you need to get to with less walking. My room had view towards San Marco. I booked hotel thru Venere for $105 euro per night.

Thanks for the replies. Many of the reviews for the Locanda hotel on tripadvisor mention that it is just steps from the train station, so I wonder if we are thinking of the same hotel?

Yes, the Locanda is quite close to the train station but the station is several minutes from Piazzale Roma, mostly due to crossing the Calatrava Bridge over the Grand Canal. Most people stay close to Piazzale Roma because they overpack and can't manage their luggage, but since you're travelling light you could stay anywhere.

Try www.venere.com/venice. Enter your dates and number of people to see what's available. If you need A/C, be sure to inquire with the hotel.

This Venice hotel map from europeforvisitors is a great resource. You can see where the hotel is then zoom in/out to check out the location:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/train-station.htm

The Hotel Santa Lucia is a clean budget B&B near the train station. They have family rooms. I didn't stay there but checked it out during our last visit as a place to stay next time.

http://www.hotelslucia.com/

Gio & Gio B&B Hotel

La Locanda di Orsaria

I, too, looked at A La Locanda di Orsaria but do you realize there are 44 steps to the second floor and no elevator? I know you stated you pack light, but just want to point that out.

Yes, we did talk about that. :-) we are pretty young and fit, so should be OK. We're taking around 21 inch carry on size luggage with a personal bag.

We put a reservation on the Gio b &b instead, simply for the view as the price per night was the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Archived