Chair Hogs - Don't Moan - Do Something About It

ticktoneer

Oh I get "all cute" and move peoples stuff all the time. I bring it to the towel desk and they put it in a cubby and I go on with my day. I may admit moving it, I may not....depends on the situation. And generally, this is after circling the entire ship a few times looking for a seat. And I do mean A seat, as I usually hit the pool sans family! I have also notified the staff on Freedom, and they removed the clothing/towels.

But to address the OP, yes I agree. If nobody notifys the staff, and just complain on CC, nothing will get done about the problem.

Some of you people here think they are going to be all cute and move other peoples stuff off chairs.

Don't be too surprised when you piss off the wrong person and he throws you on your A$$ because you moved his things.

I have seen it happened.

And no, telling won't do much good either...

Well I am about to open a can of worms, but I really don't care because I am so tired of hearing about chair hogs. In my simple mind it easy. Not everyone can have a chair right next to the pool and this is basically what everyone complains about that they can't get right next to the pool.

My DW and I don't like to get right up to the pool at the crack of dawn, so we have to pay the price and get a chair someplace else, hmmmm maybe on deck 12. Oh well its a way from the pool but I can walk to the pool its not that far.

People do leave their belongings on their chairs so they can get a drink or go get something to eat, they may be gone for more than 30 minute because they are in the pool or the tubs. Hmmmmmmm, might be some rationale to that. You want to cool off after sitting in the sun for a few hours, novel idea.

If you are one who is an early riser and gets the chairs right next to the pool, congratulations you are the lucky one who gets a chair right next to the pool. For the rest of us, it our tough luck that we have to get a chair on deck 12 (where the sun is better in my opinion) and walk to the pool and tubs.

Ok I could go on and I have my Kevlar on ready for the direct fire.

Smitty

Well I am about to open a can of worms, but I really don't care because I am so tired of hearing about chair hogs. In my simple mind it easy. Not everyone can have a chair right next to the pool and this is basically what everyone complains about that they can't get right next to the pool.

My DW and I don't like to get right up to the pool at the crack of dawn, so we have to pay the price and get a chair someplace else, hmmmm maybe on deck 12. Oh well its a way from the pool but I can walk to the pool its not that far.

People do leave their belongings on their chairs so they can get a drink or go get something to eat, they may be gone for more than 30 minute because they are in the pool or the tubs. Hmmmmmmm, might be some rationale to that. You want to cool off after sitting in the sun for a few hours, novel idea.

If you are one who is an early riser and gets the chairs right next to the pool, congratulations you are the lucky one who gets a chair right next to the pool. For the rest of us, it our tough luck that we have to get a chair on deck 12 (where the sun is better in my opinion) and walk to the pool and tubs.

Ok I could go on and I have my Kevlar on ready for the direct fire.

Smitty

I agree with you! I'm not going to spend my vacation policing chair hogs.

And I would never move someone's personal belongings from a chair. Why do something that could possibly lead to a confrontation? I'm on vacation to relax, not get stressed out.

Sherri:)

I love chair hogs. I get to use RCCL towels without having to check them out on my sea pass. I get free reading material without having to find the library. I get free sunglasses to use at the pool. And occasionally I'll find a matched set of flip flops if the chair hog nest is extensive enough.

Seriously though, if RCCL is not doing its job by enforcing its own rules, then let them know via the end-of-cruise scorecard, emails to C&A, and letters to the CEO.

425x425Q85.jpg2851460980103596279S425x425Q85.jpg

Well help the crew then. Give them and the company positive feedback for enforcing the chair hog policy.

If the only feedback they get is the ranting and venting from the minority of people whose towels got removed, how would they know that it is in fact appreciated by the majority?

Comments coming back say that the "sticker" program at Carnival is working.

Staff does not get verbally beaten up, passengers see the stickers and understand the program, folks looking for a chair seem to be able to find one. Myabe RCI simply needs to steal the idea.

And yes, pool staff do hesitate, if you canot get assistance, simply ask for the staff member in charge.

Or, you can have your own fun and move stuff around....maybe dbl up the stuff on someone else's hogged chair and watch them fight it out.

As for someone throwing a punch....the fastest way possible to get disembarked!

And the main reason we have become such a crude society? Because people no longer stand up for what is right and wrong, everyone has become part of the get-along gang.

There really is a simple way to get a chair and avoid any confrontations. A plus to this method is it can provide some entertainment for you. Here's what you do.

If you are having trouble getting a lounger, look for one that is obviously hogged. Its easy to spot. A well folded and dry towel, a book, one sandal, a scarf, an old hat - they're all signs that a Chogger is afoot! Once you find one of their "nests" simply remove the item on the chair placing them safely on the floor. Now move the chair to a nearby location. If the Chogger ever returns, the look of confusion is priceless. They look around, scratching their heads wondering, who among the mass of half naked humanity lying before them has had the gall to steal their chair. You get to sit back and smile. No hassle and you get the last laugh.

There really is a simple way to get a chair and avoid any confrontations. A plus to this method is it can provide some entertainment for you. Here's what you do.

If you are having trouble getting a lounger, look for one that is obviously hogged. Its easy to spot. A well folded and dry towel, a book, one sandal, a scarf, an old hat - they're all signs that a Chogger is afoot! Once you find one of their "nests" simply remove the item on the chair placing them safely on the floor. Now move the chair to a nearby location. If the Chogger ever returns, the look of confusion is priceless. They look around, scratching their heads wondering, who among the mass of half naked humanity lying before them has had the gall to steal their chair. You get to sit back and smile. No hassle and you get the last laugh.

If you can't beat them... beat them with a stick :D

There are many many threads regarding the "rules" - chair hogging, MDR dress code enforcement, smoking in non-desgnated areas, children in the solarium, children out after curfew, etc. They are typically started out of frustration for one or another of these "rules" being not being followed - all of which are legitimate.

The sad truth is - and all the complaining on CC won't change it - that a rule is only a rule if it is enforced. And as we all know that frequently is not the case. It seems as though RCI (and other cruise lines I'm sure) want to avoid confrontation with a passenger at any cost and will apparently tolerate a lack of compliance with their rules as a result. It also seems to vary from ship to ship which only adds to the problem by demonstrating inconsistancy with the these issues adding to passenger confusion and frustration.

The post indicating taking the issues up with RCI via direct advisement to hotel staff on board, response cards (which I have been told by many crewmembers are read), and letters or phone calls post-cruise to the company likely are the only tools that may gain attention. But rather than let the passengers manage this by the honor system, unless the cruise lines start to actually enforce their policies on board. these issues will likely never go away.

There are many many threads regarding the "rules" - chair hogging, MDR dress code enforcement, smoking in non-desgnated areas, children in the solarium, children out after curfew, etc. They are typically started out of frustration for one or another of these "rules" being not being followed - all of which are legitimate.

The sad truth is - and all the complaining on CC won't change it - that a rule is only a rule if it is enforced. And as we all know that frequently is not the case. It seems as though RCI (and other cruise lines I'm sure) want to avoid confrontation with a passenger at any cost and will apparently tolerate a lack of compliance with their rules as a result. It also seems to vary from ship to ship which only adds to the problem by demonstrating inconsistancy with the these issues adding to passenger confusion and frustration.

The post indicating taking the issues up with RCI via direct advisement to hotel staff on board, response cards (which I have been told by many crewmembers are read), and letters or phone calls post-cruise to the company likely are the only tools that may gain attention. But rather than let the passengers manage this by the honor system, unless the cruise lines start to actually enforce their policies on board. these issues will likely never go away.

Ha ha ha - Yes Leaveitallbehind. Not a new point though.....................I'm the OP and that has been my point and thread since the first post I made on this thread :-)

Ha ha ha - Yes Leaveitallbehind. Not a new point though.....................I'm the OP and that has been my point and thread since the first post I made on this thread :-)

Understood - just reinforcing the point and also venting somewhat because of course most of the "rule violations" I mentioned have occured on our cruises. Not all have been an issue necessarily but noted more as an observation of the lack of enforcement. If it is an issue, then more people need to bring it to the cruise line's attention in a more formal manner if there is ever any hope to see things change. Otherwise the cruise line should just abandon the policies - it would be less confusing if they are not going to be enforced anyway.

What a funny thread again :D…Anyhow on the topic, on NOS two weeks ago, every sunbed with only RCI towels on it were instantly removed, only the ones where there were some other personal items or towels from home were considered as reserved and did not see the staff take away any of these reserved chairs...So it is sort of enforced imo

What a funny thread again :D…Anyhow on the topic, on NOS two weeks ago, every sunbed with only RCI towels on it were instantly removed, only the ones where there were some other personal items or towels from home were considered as reserved and did not see the staff take away any of these reserved chairs...So it is sort of enforced imo

Supports the comment about inconsistency ship to ship as we were on EOS in Aug. where even after a comment to the hotel director nothing at all was done regarding the 25+ chairs saved in the solarium without any occupancy for more than 2-1/2 hours.

And to your experience, we were on a cruise once where while my wife was in the pool for about 10 minutes - which is expected from time to time one would think - she watched an attendant take her towel off the chair and was about to lose her chair to someone else. Very apologetic attendant but again just reinforces the inconsistency to me.

The one time I reported an incident to staff on board the Oasis Feb. of '10, he shrugged and dismissed my complaint. This was outside near the solarium bistro, and there were more towels getting some sun than actual people :confused: I was frustrated and I think that next time, I will just scope out some "towel sunbathers" and those that have had enough, I will move over onto another chair.

Maybe the Jewel staff can monitor this problem better than those on the Oasis. Hope so :rolleyes:

If my wife and I and two friends have our towels on our chairs and are in the water are we considered chair hogs?

I was going to skip this thread based on the original post, though I love chair hog threads. (I'm the author of the wildly popular, "Meet the Allure Chair hog thread" from 2011 ;)

But you make some interesting points.

We've witnessed some horrible exchanges between pax and MDR staff.

We've also seen some confrontations by the pool from pax whose belongings were removed from lounges.

Pax seem more "nasty" these days and don't seem to be afraid to get loud with crew, especially about the way they are dressed or if they are saving seats or if they are chair hogging.

Add in Guest Services Staff

I'm also willing to bet that in many cases the powers that be take the side of the pax and not the poor crew member who got the dressing down.

So I don't blame crew for turning a blind eye. Why should they bother if RCI isn't interested in backing them up?

You did say that you would make a bet, but I'm betting your wrong. On Allure I saw, on sea days, a couple of crew who were assigned the tasks of chair monitoring (see pic below) and I'll bet their bosses stand behind them. Its the guy picking up trash, or working the towel check out station that frequently takes the heat, especially if that is where hogs have to pick up their stuff.

deckpatrol.jpg

This guy and the guy below were assigned the task and they had no problem telling guests where to go......to get their stuff back.

deckpatrol2.jpg

I'll close out my contribution with a pic borrowed from another CC member, but its my favorite chair hog pic.

chairhog.jpg

(I'm the author of the wildly popular, "Meet the Allure Chair hog thread" from 2011 ;)

The best chair hog thread I have ever seen. I think of it every time I see a chair hog thread. The idiotic looks on the hogs' faces were priceless. :D

The best chair hog thread I have ever seen. I think of it every time I see a chair hog thread. The idiotic looks on the hogs' faces were priceless. :D

I think one of them was a CC member and got the thread pulled.

PS, thanks, you obviously understood the spirit in which it was intended.

I'm not sure how you would even know for sure. I was at the pool for most of the day while our ship was docked in Nassau. I was in and out of the pool all day. I may not have been actually in the chair the whole time, but I was either in the pool, at the bar, or in the chair. How would someone know if my chair was being held hostage by a "chair hogger?"

My pool day is just like yours, I sit in,or on the edge of the pool all day. I might go back to the chair just to reapply some sunscreen, but I rarely sit in that chair all afternoon. I get up quite early to get a chair and wouldn't like it too much is a late sleeper tried to take my spot. I'd like to sleep late also, but its not possible if you are a "pool person".

If you hold that chair all day, and spend 99% of your time sitting by the pool, do you grab a chair back in the shade? or one right next to the pool?

Just curious.....

I grab a chair closest to where I will be in the pool. I can understand the chair hogging issue if you aren't even out on the deck, but I can't imagine going anywhere (i.e. a resort or water park) where I would need to time myself in the pool to make sure I don't upset anyone with my chair use.

Well..... I have to admit that once I removed belongings from 3 beds that had been unoccupied for at least 3 hrs. :eek:

It's not that we were looking for beds but they were the beds next to ours and I watched people aimlessly looking for beds. Sooooo.... I moved the stuff. Just popped it on a lone bed quite close to the beds they had reserved as theirs.

About half an hour later they came to find their beds. Which were now occuoied. Noticed stuff had been moved. Never said a word. Picked stuff up and left.

Hopefully that will teach them a lesson!! Probably not though as these people only ever think of themselves. Though I enjoyed the experience:D

Archived