Webshots closing

Dotsie

Funny, I have never needed any help posting pics from my E DRIVE to CC or any other public site. Here is some art from allure:D...A crop of course

Another thread on the photo board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1608157

Yea....and look at the size limitation....yuk......now look at my photo from a web-hosting site:

2829990120104385121S600x600Q85.jpg

Yea....and look at the size limitation....yuk......now look at my photo from a web-hosting site:

2829990120104385121S600x600Q85.jpg

Yes I do resize, for two reasons. to fit the board restrictions and the other to keep my photos small and fuzzy on purpose. If you have ever had your photos used by someone else you will know what I mean.

By the way I think her size was just right:D

Great color in your photo

803506437_libertycruise067_rs.jpg.559b9db49a309cd92a5ddcad36ad0589.jpg

Yes I do resize, for two reasons. to fit the board restrictions and the other to keep my photos small and fuzzy on purpose. If you have ever had your photos used by someone else you will know what I mean.

By the way I think her size was just right:D

That's my point.....you can't upload a larger picture to CC otherwise;)...and those little pix that you have to click on to open and then get out a magnifying glass:rolleyes:

Someone asked if anyone used Flickr. That would be me. I do drop a $25 yearly fee for their "Pro" account, but it's got some handy organization and editing tools. If you can't do the pro account, you can store 200 for free. Over that and your subscription expires? No worries, pictures are still there, they just randomize the 200 you can see.

I've had no trouble posting pictures here as they provide pre-generated HTML/BB Code that's a straight copy/paste (covers different sizes too) in emails. Your copyright data is also on the site and you can reserve all rights.

I only ever ask for credit if one of my pictures is used since I don't do photography for anything other than fun.

If any site exists that would allow you to move your stuff from webshots to it for public sharing, I hope someone will share that info. Hate to see all my webshots work go into the big delete bin in the sky.

Yes. I would like that, too.

Someone asked if anyone used Flickr. That would be me. I do drop a $25 yearly fee for their "Pro" account, but it's got some handy organization and editing tools. If you can't do the pro account, you can store 200 for free. Over that and your subscription expires? No worries, pictures are still there, they just randomize the 200 you can see.

I've had no trouble posting pictures here as they provide pre-generated HTML/BB Code that's a straight copy/paste (covers different sizes too) in emails. Your copyright data is also on the site and you can reserve all rights.

I only ever ask for credit if one of my pictures is used since I don't do photography for anything other than fun.

That would be me. I checked a couple of your albums or "sets" and I like how they do the slide shows, etc. I don't mind paying $25 for a yearly fee. I did that on Webshots, as much as that got me.:rolleyes:

If any site exists that would allow you to move your stuff from webshots to it for public sharing, I hope someone will share that info. Hate to see all my webshots work go into the big delete bin in the sky.

I downloaded mine last night...only took maybe 30 minutes to get the email that it was done...granted i only had about 700 photos there...

It will be a pain to upload but at least i have the pix...they are on CD someplace...but now i can put them on the external hard drive...

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Regardless of what site you choose to replace Webshots, be sure to read the fine print regarding what kind of permissions you are giving them to your photos...most specifically THEIR usage/sale of YOUR photos without any compensation to you of any kind.

There was a story about a family who's family photo was sold by one of the sites to an advertising firm in Europe...only discovered after someone saw a bus go by with the family photo emblazoned on it selling contraceptives and recognized the family. The only place that photo was online was on a "photo site"...:(

I've used snapfish and photobucket in the past and prefer shutterfly. I personally find it much more easier to use.

As far as photo projects and calendars go, you can do all of that with shutterfly. I'm not sure on the prices if you want to purchase those items. If you do sign up, keep an eye on your email. I get a few emails every week for either a percentage off of something or a free item.

Thanks Lisa. Taking a look at Shutterfly. Now, to attempt to move all my Webshots photos over. Oy Vey!

Not a fan of shutterfly. I would rather pay to store my pictures than use shutterfly.

If a family member shares their pictures with me on shutterfly and I want to save them to my files, the only option offered is to save each one individually.

A few years ago I purchased an external hard drive so I could retrieve my old albums from shutterfly....I had albums going back to the days when AOL switched over to shutterfly. I found it impossible to individually copy every picture to a file on the storage device so I was forced to purchase a CD from shutterfly in order to save a backup copy of any of my own pictures at the website.

Dotsie

Homeless webshots albums:

http://community.webshots.com/user/dotseaboo

• Administrators
Well so much for half the photos posted on CC.....come Dec all were going to start seeing is a bunch of X's in past threads where photos used to be.

This is probably true. Changes in business models, such as this one, never please anyone. I, too, have many cruise related photos and daily activity sheets that I've posted over the years. I will download them from Webshots, and I will have to search for another "free" service.

Laura

Ugh! I'm wondering why I have a Premium Webshots account and the first I'm hearing this news is on Cruise Critic?!?!?! :mad:

Yep, you and me both. CC is how I learned of it. No notification from Webshots and I am also a Premium Member.

This is probably true. Changes in business models, such as this one, never please anyone. I, too, have many cruise related photos and daily activity sheets that I've posted over the years. I will download them from Webshots, and I will have to search for another "free" service.

I'm even having trouble downloading. For some reason, the download button no longer appears next to my photos. :mad:

Do any Webshots members know how to download entire albums? :confused:

Not a fan of shutterfly. I would rather pay to store my pictures than use shutterfly.

If a family member shares their pictures with me on shutterfly and I want to save them to my files, the only option offered is to save each one individually.

A few years ago I purchased an external hard drive so I could retrieve my old albums from shutterfly....I had albums going back to the days when AOL switched over to shutterfly. I found it impossible to individually copy every picture to a file on the storage device so I was forced to purchase a CD from shutterfly in order to save a backup copy of any of my own pictures at the website.

Dotsie

Have you used shutterfly since kodak merged with them? I haven't tried what you have said but I was really happy that I could just make someone's album my own all at once. I don't think this works with anyone, only those who allow it. I actually like the option of just purchasing a whole disk of pictures in an album. It's the safest most secure long term option available short of printing hard copies which is a good idea for the best shots, too.

Or the ease of a picture book that shutterfly offers is nice. They offer specials on things like this quite often.

As for the ability to share photos here on CC, I haven't tried it either. I guess it's time to check it out.

Gina

No notification from Webshots and I am also a Premium Member.

Do any Webshots members know how to download entire albums? :confused:

No notice from Webshots for me either.

I have the webshots desktop on my computer that allows you download your pictures. I don't know if they will still let you download this tool.

When you download it to your desktop, the download link is on the lower right hand corner where it says back up your files. I spent most of yesterday afternoon downloading my pictures. It's a mess because none of my albums have titles but at least I have a back up.

Dotsie

Have you used shutterfly since kodak merged with them? I haven't tried what you have said but I was really happy that I could just make someone's album my own all at once. I don't think this works with anyone, only those who allow it. Or the ease of a picture book that shutterfly offers is nice. They offer specials on things like this quite often.

Gina

Yes I use that feature on shutterfly when I remember. My daughter just sent me an album of my 3 year old grandson visiting Arizona on vacation. I saved it to my shutterfly account but I want to save at least 100 pictures to my files on my computer in case shutterfly goes out of business in the future. To do that I would need to individually save and download each picture.

Dotsie

No notice from Webshots for me either.

I have the webshots desktop on my computer that allows you download your pictures. I don't know if they will still let you download this tool.

When you download it to your desktop, the download link is on the lower right hand corner where it says back up your files. I spent most of yesterday afternoon downloading my pictures. It's a mess because none of my albums have titles but at least I have a back up.

Dotsie

Is it required to have the webshots desktop to download the pictures? If so, I guess I won't be downloading any. Not that I don't have them all somewhere, just not sorted in that way. It took a long time to label a lot of them, too.

It's that desktop that loaded spyware onto my computer in the past. Webshots admitted to it and offered a tool to remove it - which didn't work. I had a heck of a time cleaning up my computer after that since some weird search tool was loaded into my boot sector from webshots. It kept taking over my browser. I would never trust them again with a desktop download. I have enough trouble on this 9 year old :o PC.

Gina

Dotsie

I don't think this is true. My SIL sends me pictures of my nephew every few months and I have all her albums saved on my account and I didn't save them all individually. They are in some "friends" area, but are all there.

Maggie

Yes I use that feature on shutterfly when I remember. My daughter just sent me an album of my 3 year old grandson visiting Arizona on vacation. I saved it to my shutterfly account but I want to save at least 100 pictures to my files on my computer in case shutterfly goes out of business in the future. To do that I would need to individually save and download each picture.

Dotsie

In this case, I would just buy the pictures on a CD for safe keeping just to be sure. Doing pictures one at a time is no fun. I guess that's how they encourage people to buy. It's better than having to pay for a premium service to me. I think it's a little friendlier to have a fee per item service rather than a subscription service.

Gina

I don't think this is true. My SIL sends me pictures of my nephew every few months and I have all her albums saved on my account and I didn't save them all individually. They are in some "friends" area, but are all there.

Maggie

I think she means, yes, you can save them all in your account. You just can't download the entire album at once to your own computer. That has to be done 1 by 1.

Gina

Uggh!! I'm trying to convert to the Smile so I don't lose my photos, but the sign-in is saying "invalid." It won't even e-mail me a temp password. Well, back to all the old SD cards and hours of re-labeling.

Sayonara Webshots. You suck!

Uggh!! I'm trying to convert to the Smile so I don't lose my photos, but the sign-in is saying "invalid." It won't even e-mail me a temp password. Well, back to all the old SD cards and hours of re-labeling.

Sayonara Webshots. You suck!

LOL -

My sentiments exactly.

Gina

LOL -

My sentiments exactly.

Gina

What's worse, when I go to my account and click "Cancel Premium Membership," it takes me to their stupid blog and no link to cancel. So, I go back to Smile sign-in and again, it wont recognize my Webshots sign-in.

Anyone else having this problem?

I was already logged into webshots. I clicked the go to smile button. I scrolled down to "Can I download and save my Webshots photos and videos?" and clicked "downloading and saving" and it gave me the message that

"Your request has been submitted

We will begin processing your account shortly."

They say that within 48 hours they will send me the link to download all my 49## pictures to a zip file. Yes, over 4000 pictures are there and 7 videos.

We'll see what happens.

Gina

I think she means, yes, you can save them all in your account. You just can't download the entire album at once to your own computer. That has to be done 1 by 1.

Gina

Yes I like to save the pictures that are sent to me on my external hard drive. I have them on shutterfly but I don't trust them either.

Dotsie

Yes I like to save the pictures that are sent to me on my external hard drive. I have them on shutterfly but I don't trust them either.

Dotsie

I don't even trust Apple's iCloud. If you can't trust them, who can you trust? :eek: Not even your own external hard drive and I keep a load of pictures there, too. My husbands external hard drive crashed and he lost a lot of irretrievable pictures. I almost trust a disk. :)

Gina

Archived