Why are you doing this RC?!!??

eggnoodle

Just a place for me to vent....

We are sailing on Oasis in June 2013 and having the wedding ceremony on a beach on St.Thomas. There will be approximately 48 guest, including us. We plan to have a reception back on the ship at Chops Grille. The plan is to try to reserve a section of the restaurant, and not have to take up the entire restaurant so other guests can still reserve and enjoy Chops.

We've talked to our TA, who has informed us that RC can only accommodate a group buy-out in Chops and that cost $5,000!!:eek:

The kicker is, they still have to stagger the group in a 30 minute increments! The reason is to accommodate their small galley and the wait staff, as to not overwhelmed them.

The whole purpose to buy out the restaurant is so all the guests can be together! What is the purpose of buying it out if RC only allow a certain number of guest to come in and out!!!???:rolleyes:

I can't see paying $5,000 and not being able to use the entire restaurant or a portion of it!!

Based on the price of $30/pp, the grand total would be $1,440 before graduties if we went as a group. If we go with the buy out option, that comes out to $104/pp for the same dinner! We are more than willing to pay over the $30/pp normal rate, but not 3X that amount for the same dinner!

The TA has been trying to fight for us and suggested having a private dinning room as an option. But RC came back and said they no longer have separate dinning rooms!

The only options left is to place the group in the MDR in a separate area, like an alcove where we can all sit together without other guests walking in there!

With all the other wedding planning, this is the most frustrating! What I thought would be a no brainer, became a nightmare! I'm just very disappointed with RC!

While I understand they're in the business of making money, but I can't drop $5K just for dinner!

Thanks for listening...

I am not sure how many folks Chops will hold on the Oasis, but most of the ones I have been in are fairly small.

I can see both sides.

You want for your whole group to eat together at the same time.

RCCL has to take into consideration that the other 5000 people on the ship who want to eat there too.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution and your wedding turns out beautiful.

I hope to someday get married while on a cruise. We are talking about it.

Would any of the other dining venues be an option? Maybe the Solarium Bistro? Or can their convention services set up dining in the conference center maybe?

Can they set up some private dining in the Pinnacle lounge by the Viking Crown? It seems like that could accomodate your party.

Here are some pictures of the Pinnacle lounge --

The%2520Pinnacle%2520Lounge%25281%2529.jpg

The%2520Pinnacle%2520Lounge.jpg

Would any of the other dining venues be an option? Maybe the Solarium Bistro? Or can their convention services set up dining in the conference center maybe?

Can they set up some private dining in the Pinnacle lounge by the Viking Crown? It seems like that could accomodate your party.

Here are some pictures of the Pinnacle lounge --

The%2520Pinnacle%2520Lounge%25281%2529.jpg

The%2520Pinnacle%2520Lounge.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion. We are in talks with the TA and will bring this option up and see what he can do.

Have you discussed reserving the private dining rooms on Decks 3 and 4 off the main dining room? These are usually not reserved every night, and I've seen them on many ships used for staff dinners, as well as large groups. I think they can book one of these for you. Ask you TA to talk to the dining coordinators in Miami, and they can email the staff on the Oasis.

This far in advance I would think you can reserve one of the private areas off the main dining room, and the kitchen staff there are obviously better equipped to serve your party of 30.

I can undertsand the frustration of the OP, but also understand the difficulties in serving larger groups in the speciality dining options. It has little to do with over stressing the staff, and more to do with the kitchen facilities. The Kitchens in the specialities are simply designed to provided food to smaller tables, and the cooking facilities are designed for that.

We had our wedding on a ship several yeras ago, and took over The Chops Grill on The Navigator, but the latest ships have more dining options and therefore smaller kitchen space. On a recent friends wedding on The Allure for 30 people they were able to book dinner in The Samba Grill for the group, and took over half the dining area, food was of course served Samba Style and therefore food just kept coming to the different tables of the group. We were also able to use the bar above the restaurant for pre-dinner drinks, that worked well. Of course I know that The Oasis does not have the Samba grill, but maybe the style of the Solarium Grill could work for you, or maybe you could go for a finger buffet style of party in The Pinnacle lounge. Whatever you decide have a great wedding and cruise. :)

I am not sure how many folks Chops will hold on the Oasis, but most of the ones I have been in are fairly small.

I can see both sides.

I can see both sides, but Royal's numbers and explanations just don't seem quite right. Windjammer!;)

Why not arrange a cocktail hour or two instead? Serve drinks and snacks instead of a sit down meal. No one mingles at dinner anyway.

With the money you save, you can give everyone a voucher to use at Chops on their own.

We are having the coctail hour right after the ceremony on St Thomas. The dinner we planned was more of a small reception for our guests.

Here is your best contact, and she is a lovely lady as well :D

Robin Pinero

Lead Wedding Planner

Hotel Operations/ Onboard Revenue/ Royal Romance

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

rpinero@rccl.com

(305) 539- 6367

Why are dealing with a TA you should go directly to the rccl wedding planners, you can find the phone number on the website

Weren't these details ironed out before you booked? From the OP, it sounds as if you are already booked. Why wouldn't you check to see if you could be accomodated before booking?

We were on Serenade of the Seas about 2 years ago for a friend's wedding where they had a reception at Chops Grille as well. We thought that was a great idea and figured that Oasis would be able to accommadate us as well.

Plus, the fact that we were more concern with the location of the ceremony (St. Thomas) at the beginning and didn't think twice that RC not being able to accommodate us.

We were on Serenade of the Seas about 2 years ago for a friend's wedding where they had a reception at Chops Grille as well. We thought that was a great idea and figured that Oasis would be able to accommadate us as well.

Plus, the fact that we were more concern with the location of the ceremony (St. Thomas) at the beginning and didn't think twice that RC not being able to accommodate us.

Ahhhhh I thought it was a bit silly booking the ship and then trying to arrange the reception but I see your point. It's a fair assumption that you would think they would be able to help you. You've had some good advice on here so that was well worth the post.

anyway congratulations and here's to a long and happy life together

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face;

the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,

may your God hold you in the palm of His hand.

I've eaten at Chops on different ships and I don't think I've ever even seen 48 people in there at one time! So I kind of see RCCL's point about not being able to have your group in addition to leaving part of the restaurant open for other guests.

But I too believe there should be plenty of other locations where they can set up you with a lovely reception. Let us know what you find out from the wedding coordinator!

Ann

$5000 isn't bad if they would throw-in a few drinks. About $100/person for a wedding is fair

This is not a wedding. It is a dinner. There are no free drinks. Every guest will have already paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000-$2000 to be on the ship.

Why are dealing with a TA you should go directly to the rccl wedding planners, you can find the phone number on the website

Absolutely....while your TA is making money off your cabin bookings....they make nothing off such things as receptions and wedding packages....so honestly...while trying to help you I am sure they much rather you just handle this on your own;)

That's a pretty big assumption to make without having talked to anyone. When you're talking about roughly 50 people, there are limitations to the accomodations that can be made.

Have all 48 people already booked? Or is that how many you have invited? That is a fairly large crowd for a destination wedding. If it just how many you have invited, you may find that there's a more workable number once you know all who are definitely coming.

I'm sorry that you're stressed about this, but my sympathies can only go so far when you did not make any effort to contact RCL or get any information before going through with your plans.

That number sounds about right to me... 50 guests times $30. Since they are buying the place out it will mean about 3 turn overs of tables will not occur. That comes out to $4500. It also seems reasonable that they won't be able to serve everyone at once, restaurants simply aren't designed for that. Buffet services and the MDR are the ones that mass produce meals.

That's a pretty big assumption to make without having talked to anyone. When you're talking about roughly 50 people, there are limitations to the accomodations that can be made.

Have all 48 people already booked? Or is that how many you have invited? That is a fairly large crowd for a destination wedding. If it just how many you have invited, you may find that there's a more workable number once you know all who are definitely coming.

I'm sorry that you're stressed about this, but my sympathies can only go so far when you did not make any effort to contact RCL or get any information before going through with your plans.

First, I wasn't looking for your sympathy! Second, Who said I didn't make any effort? That's a "pretty big assumption" on your end. I've contacted my TA and he has dealt with wedding parties in the numbers of 30+ guests for a reception on RCCL.

First, I wasn't looking for your sympathy! Second, Who said I didn't make any effort? That's a "pretty big assumption" on your end. I've contacted my TA and he has dealt with wedding parties in the numbers of 30+ guests for a reception on RCCL.

Eh, we can only go by what you post here. Nothing you have said indicated that you addressed this in any way before booking. When I asked if this was addressed prior to booking, you said that since you saw that they did it a few years ago on the Serenade, you figured they could do it for you. If you had told us that RCL said they'd close down Chops for you, then after you all booked they said they couldn't, then I think you'd have a legitimate beef.

I hope for you and your family and friends' sake that they can find some way to accomodate you.

Archived