Hurricanes!

npro1464

Hey all,

I was just wondering, what does Celebrity do in the event of a Hurricane or Tropical Storm heading in your direction and/or disrupting your ports of call? Has anyone here had experience or a story to share? I'm a little worried about it now that my sail date (Nov 3rd aboard the Eclipse) is coming up, and Hurricane Sandy is set to barge into the East coast. We're set to go to San Juan PR, St Thomas, St Kitts and St Martin. Thanks!!

Hey all,

I was just wondering, what does Celebrity do in the event of a Hurricane or Tropical Storm heading in your direction and/or disrupting your ports of call? Has anyone here had experience or a story to share? I'm a little worried about it now that my sail date (Nov 3rd aboard the Eclipse) is coming up, and Hurricane Sandy is set to barge into the East coast. We're set to go to San Juan PR, St Thomas, St Kitts and St Martin. Thanks!!

Since ships move they can sometimes go away from the storm. This happened on my last TA where moved about 100 miles South to miss the brunt of a storm. Near the end of the cruise the Captain showed a video describing the steps he took to avoid the storm.

Hey all,

I think you may have made a typo on your sail date. I'm leaving on the Eclipse out of Southampton on Oct 27th and docking in Ft Lauderdale on Nov 9th. As for the hurricanes...it looks like there may be 2 heading straight for us on our TA.:(

I think you may have made a typo on your sail date. I'm leaving on the Eclipse out of Southampton on Oct 27th and docking in Ft Lauderdale on Nov 9th. As for the hurricanes...it looks like there may be 2 heading straight for us on our TA.:(

I believe that you are correct, but these storms when they are in your path will probably be nothing more than strong TS's at the most. Also, i am certain that your captain will avoid same.

Sandy is supposed to go inland at New York according to Joe Bastardi, and Tony heading NE towards the Azores as a TS, dissipating by Sunday morning.

Your TA will be fine.

Twice we've been aboard.

The ships move away from the storms path.

You may miss ports.

Once, we were adrift in the Caribbean with no electricity. Passengers tread very carefully in dark spaces and were cautioned to walk slowly on smooth flat surfaces due to the condensation. It wasn't long before power was restored and we drank complimentary beverages of our choice. Each time we missed a port, the bars were open for a time for all passengers to get free drinks. I found Pina Coladas were a sweet remedy to ease any stomach flutters in rough seas. The Captain kept us informed throughout the storm with frequent announcements over the PA system. The cruise went well and was very nice because the Captain managed problems in a thoughtful manner. Very nice.

The second time we had multiple problems and swore we'd never take a ship with smoking indoors because every outside door (Balcony included) of the ship had to be shutdown and no passenger was allowed outdoors. Over the course of the storm the smoke thickened. We missed all ports except St. Thomas. Most of the cruise was spent in the Atlantic Ocean. No compensation from the Captain or the Cruiseline.

We felt safe during both cruises but at times DH and I were tempted to go overboard on a raft due to the smoke and motion sickness on the second cruise. Tea and green apples were available in the buffet. I understand gingerale helps too.

We will cruise only with ships that do not allow smoking indoors (Celebrity !!!!). We will take motion sickness meds with us during hurricane season. Mack Wax for the ears to deafen the sound of high waves hitting the ship are a good extra measure.

After many cruises in the Caribbean, we've only encountered bad weather twice. I would not worry about weather as the Captain will have adequate notice to move out of the storm area.

Anytime you cruise, you chance missing a port. There will be good times and maybe a surprise to make up for the ports missed. You are in capable hands with Celebrity. Look forward to your cruise and don't worry about storms..... The Captain is there to take care of you, his crew, and his ship. He will have plenty of assistance from the land side Management.

-Marisa

Twice we've been aboard.

The ships move away from the storms path.

You may miss ports.

Once, we were adrift in the Caribbean with no electricity. Passengers tread very carefully in dark spaces and were cautioned to walk slowly on smooth flat surfaces due to the condensation. It wasn't long before power was restored and we drank complimentary beverages of our choice. Each time we missed a port, the bars were open for a time for all passengers to get free drinks. I found Pina Coladas were a sweet remedy to ease any stomach flutters in rough seas. The Captain kept us informed throughout the storm with frequent announcements over the PA system. The cruise went well and was very nice because the Captain managed problems in a thoughtful manner. Very nice.

The second time we had multiple problems and swore we'd never take a ship with smoking indoors because every outside door (Balcony included) of the ship had to be shutdown and no passenger was allowed outdoors. Over the course of the storm the smoke thickened. We missed all ports except St. Thomas. Most of the cruise was spent in the Atlantic Ocean. No compensation from the Captain or the Cruiseline.

We felt safe during both cruises but at times DH and I were tempted to go overboard on a raft due to the smoke and motion sickness on the second cruise. Tea and green apples were available in the buffet. I understand gingerale helps too.

We will cruise only with ships that do not allow smoking indoors (Celebrity !!!!). We will take motion sickness meds with us during hurricane season. Mack Wax for the ears to deafen the sound of high waves hitting the ship are a good extra measure.

After many cruises in the Caribbean, we've only encountered bad weather twice. I would not worry about weather as the Captain will have adequate notice to move out of the storm area.

Anytime you cruise, you chance missing a port. There will be good times and maybe a surprise to make up for the ports missed. You are in capable hands with Celebrity. Look forward to your cruise and don't worry about storms..... The Captain is there to take care of you, his crew, and his ship. He will have plenty of assistance from the land side Management.

-Marisa

Excellent post!

I notice the OP is from NJ and flying to San Juan for the cruise.

The hurricane, heavy rains, postponed/cancelled flights, etc. are good reason to have cruise insurance and a back up plan if you can't meet the ship.

Perhaps that concern should be a "How to handle such a change of plan".

Orator: Kind words are golden.

-Marisa

Looks like I made a mistake. We're sailling out of Ft Lauderdale on Nov 9th, Nov 3rd is when I get married!!

Anyway, I know that Sandy will be long gone by then, just thinking ahead since usually one Hurricane is followed by another. I just hope we don't miss any ports and if we're rerouted. Good to hear that Celebrity is on top of its game in this department.

Question: should I pack some Dramamine just in case??

Looks like I made a mistake. We're sailling out of Ft Lauderdale on Nov 9th, Nov 3rd is when I get married!!

Anyway, I know that Sandy will be long gone by then, just thinking ahead since usually one Hurricane is followed by another. I just hope we don't miss any ports and if we're rerouted. Good to hear that Celebrity is on top of its game in this department.

I always pack Dramamince regardless. I was not sure from your posts if you ever sailed before? If not, you may want to read up on seasickness overall to make sure you are prepared - for some people it does not need to be a hurricane area to require meds. If you have, I would still suggest bringing some always. We have been on around 30 cruises. On three of them we had really rough seas (no hurricanes in the area), with waves up to 30' on one of them. Just about everyone, including the crew, needed the meds. Better to have it an not need it than need it and not have it.

I notice the OP is from NJ and flying to San Juan for the cruise.

The hurricane, heavy rains, postponed/cancelled flights, etc. are good reason to have cruise insurance and a back up plan if you can't meet the ship.

Perhaps that concern should be a "How to handle such a change of plan".

Orator: Kind words are golden. -Marisa

Beware, cruise insurance taken with the cruise line will not cover air unless air was booked with the cruise line.

If you booked your own air, which many do it behoves you to take third party inaurance like, travelex, travelguard, etc

Greetings

You should not be overly concerned about your cruise. Most storms this late in the season are going to form in the lower Gulf of Mexico. The cold fronts are already pushing into the Atlantic which will bring very high wind shear over any potential storms to the east. So the odds of a storm on your voyage are not very high. If fact south Florida is forecast to have night time lows in the 50's next week. But the cold fronts can also bring high winds and waves, so it is always good to have Dramamine along if you are prone to mal de mer.

Good Sailing

Tom

As others from Florida have responded, this time of year it is unlikely to have back-to-back storms. We, too, will be on the Nov. 9 Eclipse and we're not worried about the weather. I always take Bonine when I cruise. Notice I didn't say "pack" some. I take it. I've found it's most effective if you start several hours before you sail. We cruise a lot, and I never used to take seasick pills. Then I got seasick. Once. That's all it took. Don't wanna have that feeling every again! Best wishes on your upcoming wedding. Glad you remembered the date!

looks like i made a mistake. We're sailling out of ft lauderdale on nov 9th, nov 3rd is when i get married!!

Anyway, i know that sandy will be long gone by then, just thinking ahead since usually one hurricane is followed by another. I just hope we don't miss any ports and if we're rerouted. Good to hear that celebrity is on top of its game in this department.

Question: Should i pack some dramamine just in case??

you bet and get the ear patch!

I'm supposed to fly from PHL to FLL on Monday. Don't think I'll make it. Fortunately not leaving for a cruise until November 15th.

Greetings

By Monday FLL will be fine but PHL may be another story. Hope the storm turns east out to sea and misses everyone in the NE. As a Floridian I cannot wish bad storms on anyone, I've been through too many of them.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

By Monday FLL will be fine but PHL may be another story. Hope the storm turns east out to sea and misses everyone in the NE. As a Floridian I cannot wish bad storms on anyone, I've been through too many of them.

Good Sailing

Tom

Hi Tom:)....I echo your sentiments.

I believe that you are correct, but these storms when they are in your path will probably be nothing more than strong TS's at the most. Also, i am certain that your captain will avoid same.

Sadly, my assessment of Sandy was too optimistic. It now appears that she is a monster storm; and, that she will contine to be a major storm. Of course, we all hope that she will bear east, but that does not appear to be in the cards.

Archived