priority check-in OPT Sydney

pax2

Hello all,

could anyone tell me what time OPT in Sydney allows you to check-in luggage?.

Also is the priority check in line for suite passengers well signposted. I'v heard you go directly to elevators rather than line up outside but how do you do that without pisxxxx everyone else off who is waiting in line? Is there a separate entrance?. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Hello all,

Also is the priority check in line for suite passengers well signposted. I'v heard you go directly to elevators rather than line up outside but how do you do that without pisxxxx everyone else off who is waiting in line? Is there a separate entrance?. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Hi there

unless they changed things you still need to enter via the samesecurity line out front

luggage drop off starts about 10 am so can get there early

the priority line once inside is reasonably well signposted

the hard part isgetting in the building through the mindless guards

You drop your luggage off at the pavement and don't see that again until it appears in your cabin.

Then join the queue to have your documents checked before entering the building and ascending the escalator.

You then proceed in the queue through security control and to Passport/Immigration, once you're through there then you will see signs showing the various priority check-in areas.

There are always people to direct you to the correct queue. Once you've checked in don't forget to smile for the ships photographer as you board the ship. :D :D.

Jill:)

according to the documents I got from carnival you can drop your luggage down there from 8 am. That's what we are planning to do as can't board before 1 pm and need to be out of our hotel by 10:00.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am on the November 21 sailing of the Oosterdam. I wonder how early I will be able to drop off my bags. Official embarkation begins at 1pm. I have not received any information from HAL as to when bags will be accepted.

Hello all,

You do not mention which ship/cruise line you are sailing on as they all have different systems for embarking.

I can tell you about Royal Caribbean and Celebrity as I work at the OPT on their turnaround days. You can drop your bags off from about 9-9.30 and check in should start about 11. RCI this year will have a dedicated priority line for Crown & Anchor & Suite guests which will be clearly signposted and will start in the area in front of the terminal. I believe we will also be having staggered check in times, especially with the Voyager & Solstice, due to the number of passengers on them and the limited space at the OPT.

Don't know about the other cruise lines as their turnarounds are handled by another company but would assume they would do something similar.

Hope this helps

We are travelling on Radiance of the seas. Cruise documents says boarding starts at 11am for deck 10 then half hour increments rest of decks ie 9, 8 etc. so yes staggered checkin times, hope people stick to their times and that it is enforced by staff otherwise I don't see it working, it will just be the usual mad rush at 11am.

Pleased to see that priority line starts outside and not later as a bit of a waste of time. Its great having imput from someone who works at terminal are there any quieter times to check in that you have noticed say an hour or so after check in starts?

gbenjo......are their any lockers there so we can store our carry on so we can go for a walk around Sydney? Thank's.

Unfortunately not (not a lot of room for anything really) .......not sure if there may be some at Circular Quay for the trains or ferries???

Its great having imput from someone who works at terminal are there any quieter times to check in that you have noticed say an hour or so after check in starts?

Sadly, unless you want to check in after about three there is no "quiet time" ( you have to feel sorry for us poor check in staff:D:D) The other alternative of course is to get in line early....... but if you are Crown & Anchor or have booked a suite it should flow pretty quickly anyway ( especially if you get a super efficient check in person........like myself......... :o:o:o...only kidding.. they are all good )

We are travelling on Radiance of the seas. Cruise documents says boarding starts at 11am for deck 10 then half hour increments rest of decks ie 9, 8 etc. so yes staggered checkin times, hope people stick to their times and that it is enforced by staff otherwise I don't see it working, it will just be the usual mad rush at 11am.

Pleased to see that priority line starts outside and not later as a bit of a waste of time. Its great having imput from someone who works at terminal are there any quieter times to check in that you have noticed say an hour or so after check in starts?

I can't see them enforcing the check in times as many people don't have the option but to arrive early or late due to flights etc and they don't want to leave them sitting around waiting all day, otherwise that would be good.

I don't think the priority line starts outside it's only at the actual "check-in" part of the boarding process where you sign documents and get phots, unless is has changed recently. There will be someone there to direct you and plenty of signs :)

I can't see them enforcing the check in times as many people don't have the option but to arrive early or late due to flights etc and they don't want to leave them sitting around waiting all day, otherwise that would be good.

I don't think the priority line starts outside it's only at the actual "check-in" part of the boarding process where you sign documents and get phots, unless is has changed recently. There will be someone there to direct you and plenty of signs :)

Yep....... it all changed this season.......... as I said... priority lines start outside and yes I'm sure if a few pax arrived earlier than their "stagger" time

it would not be a problem.

RCI this year will have a dedicated priority line for Crown & Anchor & Suite guests which will be clearly signposted and will start in the area in front of the terminal. I believe we will also be having staggered check in times, especially with the Voyager & Solstice, due to the number of passengers on them and the limited space at the OPT.

There is absolutely no point in having staggered check-in times - when the great majority of passengers ignore their allocated times and turn up early.. I believe that is commonly the cause of boarding problems at the OPT. Anybody who has a checkin time of (say) 2.30PM and tries to check-in at 11AM, should be shown the door !!! :mad:

Barry

There is absolutely no point in having staggered check-in times - when the great majority of passengers ignore their allocated times and turn up early.. I believe that is commonly the cause of boarding problems at the OPT. Anybody who has a checkin time of (say) 2.30PM and tries to check-in at 11AM, should be shown the door !!! :mad:

Barry

It can be tricky if say your flight arrived early. Not everyone wants to/are able to walk around SYD for half a day.

I know there isn't anything at OPT so can't sit in the terminal doing nothing for hours.

At the end of the day, you've paid for your first day of cruising so IMHO you should get your money's worth lol :D

It can be tricky if say your flight arrived early. Not everyone wants to/are able to walk around SYD for half a day.

I know there isn't anything at OPT so can't sit in the terminal doing nothing for hours.

At the end of the day, you've paid for your first day of cruising so IMHO you should get your money's worth lol :D

I don't accept that - there are many ways and means of organising yourself to arrive at the allocated times. Why do you think they allocate boarding times?? -- so that the boarding is not chaos caused by selfish people who cannot/will not be told anything.

Hi gbenjo,

Thankyou for your info, its been really helpful. I just have a query regarding disabled travellers.we are a party of 6 travellers with my son being in a wheelchair and there was a mention of escalators to transit throught the terminal. Are there lifts also? Are there any provisions made for those with a mobility issue?

thanks for your help.

Cheers maree:)

You do not mention which ship/cruise line you are sailing on as they all have different systems for embarking.

I can tell you about Royal Caribbean and Celebrity as I work at the OPT on their turnaround days. You can drop your bags off from about 9-9.30 and check in should start about 11. RCI this year will have a dedicated priority line for Crown & Anchor & Suite guests which will be clearly signposted and will start in the area in front of the terminal. I believe we will also be having staggered check in times, especially with the Voyager & Solstice, due to the number of passengers on them and the limited space at the OPT.

Don't know about the other cruise lines as their turnarounds are handled by another company but would assume they would do something similar.

Hope this helps

Sounds like a good idea, especially for the bigger ships :)

Sadly, unless you want to check in after about three there is no "quiet time" ( you have to feel sorry for us poor check in staff:D:D) The other alternative of course is to get in line early....... but if you are Crown & Anchor or have booked a suite it should flow pretty quickly anyway ( especially if you get a super efficient check in person........like myself......... :o:o:o...only kidding.. they are all good )

How can we prove we are C&A is it on our paperwork somewhere???

Barry

Barry....... The major cause of boarding problems at the OPT is it's configuration size & space (lack of). I'm sure RCI & others would like nothing more than to have every guest on board as early as possible (could start selling drinks etc earlier..make more money:D) The staggered boarding times are used by most cruise lines all over the world ( even where the check in facilities are far better than the OPT ) due to the sheer number of pax on the bigger ships. I agree that we have paid for the cruise to include boarding day and are entitled to be on board early if we so wish.

The staggered check-in is an attempt to make things flow better for the guests but is not "law" and I cannot see a passenger being turned away if they arrive earlier than their allotted time.

Hi gbenjo,

Thankyou for your info, its been really helpful. I just have a query regarding disabled travellers.we are a party of 6 travellers with my son being in a wheelchair and there was a mention of escalators to transit throught the terminal. Are there lifts also? Are there any provisions made for those with a mobility issue?

thanks for your help.

Cheers maree:)

There are lifts at the OPT. Have you spoken with the Special Needs dept of the cruise line you're cruising with? You might be able to embark/disembark early to avoid having to wait in the crowds.

I'm in a wheelchair, hubby & I are going to be doing our 2nd ever cruise in January. We learnt from our first cruise and have been more organised this time. We had a regular cabin last time, not ideal but we managed as it was only for 3 nights. This time we've booked an accessible cabin, and have organised to embark a bit earlier, so that we're not fighting crowds (I also have Autism and I dont like being in crowds).

HTH :)

How can we prove we are C&A is it on our paperwork somewhere???

Yes....Your Set Sail Pass will have your C & A status displayed just below your stateroom number. Just show your Set Sail and you will be directed to the correct line ( with a :):):) )

Archived