Just in, Pride 10-28-12 cancelled

dk1

From JH...

CARNIVAL PRIDE – 10/28 DEPARTURE - CANCELED

The US Coast Guard has just made us aware that we will not be able to depart from the Chesapeake Bay. At this time, it is uncertain when this restriction will be lifted. We respect the Coast Guard’s decision and since we do not know when we will be cleared to sail, we will not be able to operate this cruise.

Guests will be provided with a full refund (within two weeks to the form of payment) and a 25% future cruise discount. Parking expenses will be refunded as they leave the parking facility. Should guests need a hotel room for this evening, please have them contact a Guest Logistics team member in the terminal. We will also cover $30 per person for dinner this evening. Receipts to be submitted to guestcare@carnival.com.

We are sorry for the disappointment this has caused.

I feel bad for the folks there. But I would have taken the weather cancel on the insurance on that one. It would have been a miserable first 24-36 hours. Even close to the coast was going to be winds gusting 50-70MPH and around 13-20 foot seas. After seeing what not quite as bad conditions did on Disney Fantasy, not sure I would want to deal with that. Hope anyone who flew in can get back out quickly. Does not sound like fun.

Less concerned about ships getting out tonight of NY. They will have rough weather but should be able to escape the worst. Saw no way for Pride to do that.

John Heald FB

CARNIVAL PRIDE – 10/28 DEPARTURE - CANCELED

The US Coast Guard has just made us aware that we will not be able to depart from the Chesapeake Bay. At this time, it is uncertain when this restriction will be lifted. We respect the Coast Guard’s decision and since we do not know when we will be cleared to sail, we will not be able to operate this cruise.

Guests will be provided with a full refund (within two weeks to the form of payment) and a 25% future cruise discount. Parking expenses will be refunded as they leave the parking facility. Should guests need a hotel room for this evening, please have them contact a Guest Logistics team member in the terminal. We will also cover $30 per person for dinner this evening. Receipts to be submitted to guestcare@carnival.com.

We are sorry for the disappointment this has caused.

Good call?? Yes. But these folks are already at the port...I can only imagine what's going on there now.

Imagine what is going on at BWI! There are gonna be a whole lot of people needing to get the heck out before the airports shut down for weather.

But why would the cancel a whole cruise and not just delay it a day or 2? and let the guest stay on the ship?
Because it's not safe, in hurricane winds, for ships to stay moored at the dock. The Pride will have to head out into the bay, with a skeleton crew, to ride out the storm.

But why would the cancel a whole cruise and not just delay it a day or 2? and let the guest stay on the ship?

The Coast Guard may leave Cheasapeake Bay closed for days depending on what Sandy does so evidently CCL decided to just cancel rather than leave everyone guessing.

Have you heard any of the weather reports? This is a MASSIVE storm and it could effect the area for many days. It's much safer for everyone concerned that they cancel the entire cruise, rather than put people's lives in danger.

I feel bad for the folks there. But I would have taken the weather cancel on the insurance on that one. It would have been a miserable first 24-36 hours. Even close to the coast was going to be winds gusting 50-70MPH and around 13-20 foot seas. After seeing what not quite as bad conditions did on Disney Fantasy, not sure I would want to deal with that. Hope anyone who flew in can get back out quickly. Does not sound like fun.

Less concerned about ships getting out tonight of NY. They will have rough weather but should be able to escape the worst. Saw no way for Pride to do that.

I thought NY was shutdown.

You are right about Pride, I also saw no way of them leaving. Just ashame that Carnival could not tell them yesterday. If the Enchantment was still anchored in the bay, no way the Pride was leaving. IMO

When this happens does it matter if you have that extra insurance or not?

The insurance should cover any unreimbursed costs of hotel/transport. Pretty much any additional costs you encounter to get back home should be paid for by the insurance if Carnival did not cover it. At least that is how I read the policies.

You are right about Pride, I also saw no way of them leaving. Just ashame that Carnival could not tell them yesterday. If the Enchantment was still anchored in the bay, no way the Pride was leaving. IMO

It looks like the reason the Enchantment didn't leave was because she could not call on Kings Wharf, but I may be wrong.

The Maryland area will be getting bad weather until Tuesday evening and then there will be damage. People have been pulling their boats, but everyone. The area by the port floods, so who knows what will be in the water. Also by the port is Hanover bridge and there are A LOT of flooded boats in one area (can not think of what it is called) and there is also a business that repairs boats too near there. So even if they could sail in a day or so, it would be a cruise to nowhere and most people would have canceled by then.

Hopefully they make it somewhere safe (someone here once mentioned they docked by the bay bridge?) and stay safe.

NYC isn't shut down - yet. However, I can't imagine where Miracle is going to sail if she can get out. This storm spans the Atlantic between Bermuda and the US mainland. Short of sailing Northeast toward Canada, I just can't see where she'll go.

Archived