Just in, Pride 10-28-12 cancelled

dk1

No surprises here. I don't think anyone is going anywhere on a cruise ship out the northeast. There will either be substantial delays or likely cancellations.

Sandy only gets worse as it moves north, and sea height already in our area would be "uncomfortable" to many. Figure 20'+ and getting worse.

Why do cruise lines wait until the last minute to cancel? Well some do and some don't, but the reality is safety vs $$$$. If they can get out safely, so be it, if they cannot, then they have to bite the bullet and take a major financial hit. It's not a precise science, especially when the Coast Guard tells you you're "grounded", and you were hoping you could get out.

A QM2 or former QE2 could leave New York right now on a TA, weather these seas and shoot out at 30 knots and kiss Sandy goodbye, but these cruise ships are not built for that, despite their size.

Never forget that QE2 was once hit by an almost 100' "rogue wave", caused by a hurricane hundreds of miles away near Bermuda. QE2 took it in her stride and soldiered on with minimal damage that was not even repaired for over a year! I would not want to speculate what such a wave would do to an ordinary cruise ship. It would not be pretty.

So, it is what it is. The Coast Guard aside, making "go" / "no go" decisions is never easy. As an aviator I have had to make them too.

It'll probably go anchor off Fell's Point where the empty freighters hang out.

Last year the Pride anchored out in the bay down by Calvert County. I found it on the marine traffic website.

Eekk true!

I cross minor road bridges, but I do go through a tunnel (which people assume is not bad, but they dip down...so they can flood).

Now if I had to go over a bridge....yeah I would have texted my boss and said I'm not coming in. I guess I will have to play it by ear tomorrow.

It is already cold here (compare to the nice fall day we had yesterday) and has become windy. We just tied our patio furniture down.

We tied our furniture up yesterday but I think my DH should tie it up more, don't want it coming through the sliding glass door. I turned the heat on, brrrrr!

I'll make the work decision tomorrow, but I am thinking leaning toward not going.

Imagine what is going on at BWI! There are gonna be a whole lot of people needing to get the heck out before the airports shut down for weather.

This is when a smartphone can really save your bacon.......

I also, leave my credit card number with my brother, so as soon as I give him the go ahead he can make arrangements for me to get the heck out of Dodge.........

But why would the cancel a whole cruise and not just delay it a day or 2? and let the guest stay on the ship?

The next 3 days will be rainy with high winds and flooding, there is still a chance the ship could be impacted by the storm even while in port, i think it is safer for all that they canceled.

If the Coast Guard closed the bay then why is the RCCL ship leaving right now

?

Are their people on it? If not,could be heading for somewhere safer in the bay.

I believe RCCL leaves on Saturday, so I believe that cruise was already canceled.

I can be 100% wrong and if so, someone will correct me, so thanks :)

Are their people on it? If not,could be heading for somewhere safer in the bay.

I believe RCCL leaves on Saturday, so I believe that cruise was already canceled.

I can be 100% wrong and if so, someone will correct me, so thanks :)

From the web cam view there ar epeople on it

If the Coast Guard closed the bay then why is the RCCL ship leaving right now

?

I don't think they're leaving. More than likely, they're finding a safe place to moor. If you look, the speed is 0.7 knots. That's basically not moving. Destination also shows "TBA". Here's the website I'm using: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?centerx=-76.5438&centery=39.21575&zoom=14#

As a parent with a child working on the Pride, I, for one, am glad this decision was made. Don't have a clue what will happen now. She is crazy busy at the moment and can't call. We'll find out soon enough. My guess is they will find a safe place to moor and hunker down (if they are even allowed to leave the pier).

I don't think they're leaving. More than likely, they're finding a safe place to moor. If you look, the speed is 0.7 knots. That's basically not moving. Destination also shows "TBA". Here's the website I'm using: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?centerx=-76.5438&centery=39.21575&zoom=14#

As a parent with a child working on the Pride, I, for one, am glad this decision was made. Don't have a clue what will happen now. She is crazy busy at the moment and can't call. We'll find out soon enough. My guess is they will find a safe place to moor and hunker down (if they are even allowed to leave the pier).

It's safer for a large ship to leave a pier in a hurricane. They are designed to bounce around in wind and waves. But picture a ship that size tied up to a fixed pier with high winds and/or a sudden rise in water levels. It would rip it from the pier and possibly toss it into the pier. This is why the Navy sends vessels out to sea for bad storms instead of leaving them docked.

I am really questioning Carnival's judgment on the idea that they were going to hang out with passengers in the Bay for days until the weather cleared as well all the lines sailing from NY. I think it was around noon that the Coast Guard closed the entrance to the Bay down by Hampton Roads. They had to have known then they couldn't sail.

That's New York. The Pride is in Baltimore.

But RCI Enchantment of the Seas does sail from Baltimore...looks like she's on a cruise to nowhere.

Enchantment of the Seas will be unable to call on Kings Wharf, Bermuda, as originally scheduled. Instead, the ship sailed out to sea in an effort to try to find the calmest seas possible.
:eek:

The Enchantment sailed on the 26th. They announced embarkation day that they would not make it to Bermuda and offered any guest a full refund to disembark the ship. A local news website had a picture posted by a local resident in Cape Charles, Va that said the ship anchored in the Chesapeake Bay off the Eastern Shore of Va to ride out the storm. Here is the pic that they posted.

97780-cape-charles-d1558.jpg.5dceee860a1cb461bb413c3409b71499.jpg

Archived