Miami Hotels

Villcruise

Hi I live in Miami and work downtown by the cruise port, they are plenty of hotels here in downtown but they might be a bit pricey, the Hyatt, JW Marriott Marquis, the Epic, Mandarin Oriental, etc. Others in nearby Brickell or even South Beach. Just do your homework and don't stay in the bad part of Downtown! Have fun and good luck!

We actually stay at the Best Western Plus Windsor Inn in North Miami. It is right on Biscayne Blvd and handy. It's about a 15 min ride to the port but it is very reasonable compared to the hotels that are closer. I know many have stayed at the Holiday Inn which is right by the port and across the street from Bayside Marketplace. It always gets good reviews so that is an option.

Anyone have a recommendation for a hotel the night before a cruise near the Miami cruise ship port ? Thanks

Lots of threads here on Hotels in Miami near the port just scroll down the page ;)

I would add to Keith's list the Doubletree Biscayne Bay.

Downtown hotels are closest to POM but none offer free airport or port shuttles; taxi from MIA airport to downtown hotels will cost $25+tip and another $10-12 cab will get you to POM in the morning.

There are some discount, budget motels close to the MIA airport that offer free airport and port shuttles; a good alternative especially if you are flying in late the day before your cruise and only want a clean room and dinner before your cruise. Good luck! :)

Anyone have a recommendation for a hotel the night before a cruise near the Miami cruise ship port ? Thanks

What are you looking for? As has been said, if you just want an inexpensive and clean place to stay the night, you might want to consider a basic airport hotel that will provide shuttle service. However, if you want to be near the port because of the benefits of visiting the downtown/SoBe area and/or you want a more up-scale hotel (and view), there have been many suggestions......

But I do want to know what the "bad part" of Downtown is that jchav58 mentioned is! I haven't yet decided on a pre-cruise hotel for my stay next Spring, but I'm shopping.

Hi I live in Miami and work downtown by the cruise port, they are plenty of hotels here in downtown but they might be a bit pricey, the Hyatt, JW Marriott Marquis, the Epic, Mandarin Oriental, etc. Others in nearby Brickell or even South Beach. Just do your homework and don't stay in the bad part of Downtown! Have fun and good luck!

So you live in Miami ? We are driving from Maine...only need a one night stay and park. Will we be "OK" at LaQuinta Airport East???

Thanks

So you live in Miami ? We are driving from Maine...only need a one night stay and park. Will we be "OK" at LaQuinta Airport East???

Thanks

La Quinta East is a favorite for cruisers -- the place gets mixed reviews but seems good enough for lots of cruisers, and the free shuttle to POM is a plus; expect to pay about $25+tip for a taxi back to your car. Good luck! :)

I also would like to know where the bad part of town is. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Biscayne Blvd. We don't want to wonder to far the evening before if it's the bad area. Please let us know. Thank you.

Walking in downtown is perfectly safe during the daytime. At night, don't go further west than 4 blocks from Biscayne Blvd. Across the river in Brickell, just about every area is safe in places you want to be in.

North of NW 14th street the area gets a little worse, but Biscayne Blvd is alright, you wouldn't be walking there anyway as places are too far apart to walk, there are a couple great artsy places in the area north of 14 street to about 50th street, but again, nobody who lives here walks to those, we drive.

Hi I am sorry I was not specific about Downtown. The port is right next to Bayside Market Place and the American Airlines Arena on Biscayne Blvd. Like the previous Miamian said you don't walk to a lot of places because is pretty far, we drive. But if you are staying to the South of the Port which is where most of the above hotels that were mentioned before are, and accross the Miami River is Brickell you are perfectly fine. They are tons of restaurants in Brickell withing walking distance as well as in the hotels in Downtown and Bayside. I would not recommend going anywhere West of Biscayne Blvd in Downtown or venture into Overtown. The airport area is not a bad section of town it has a lot of older hotels catering to the airport and if there are good reviews then go for it specially if they have a shuttle. On another note the metromover in Biscayne Blvd will take you to the Metrorail which now has an Orange line that takes you into Miami International Airport. http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metrorail.asp

If you have any other questions let me know. Also check tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews.

On the subject of MetroRail and Orange Line - went on BFF cruise in Sept. She lives in a big city and talked me into that option instead of a cab....From Miami airport to Intercontinental downtown. It took a lot of talking to convince me - but it was daytime and we had no problems. After 20 cruises with my husband (we always do taxi), I prefer a taxi. That said, for anyone on a budget, it was cheap, I'm just a scaredy cat - lol.

On the subject of MetroRail and Orange Line - went on BFF cruise in Sept. She lives in a big city and talked me into that option instead of a cab....From Miami airport to Intercontinental downtown. It took a lot of talking to convince me - but it was daytime and we had no problems. After 20 cruises with my husband (we always do taxi), I prefer a taxi. That said, for anyone on a budget, it was cheap, I'm just a scaredy cat - lol.

I think taking the public transit is a good way to get a feel for the city in a lot of ways. I was in San Antonio and took the bus to an art gallery the day before my business conference started. When I told some other attendees that I'd arrived a day early to see the city, etc, and took the bus to the art gallery, most of them looked at me like I'd grown a second head or something. Apparently, no one does that. It was kind of interesting, and it felt certainly safe. Most people were just ordinary Joes going to or from their jobs and chores.

We stayed at Holiday Inn POM in May and are staying at the Intercontinental Downtown in November...

previously we stayed at the Holiday Inn..it was a blast..on the weekend

Bayside is a real lively place..

this coming Jan we were fortunate enough to book the Intercontinental at a great price using Priceline..it was less than what we got the HI the first time around..

like San Francisco s financial district..downtown Miami is pretty deserted and does have its share of homeless that come out at night..but, along Biscayne..its well lit and patroled heavely by five-O

I also would like to know where the bad part of town is. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Biscayne Blvd. We don't want to wonder to far the evening before if it's the bad area. Please let us know. Thank you.

This area of town is fine.

We have been to that area at night including walking back from our Hotel following basketball games at the American Airlines arena which is close by.

Late a night there are a few homeless people.

Like any city, the key is to be what I call street smart. That is to say know your surroundings and keep an eye out as you walk.

Keith

Metro Orange Line:

I can't fully endorse the Orange Option yet. Although it is seeing pretty good ridership by airport employees. It does go through some funky areas of town, so I would say no after dark. During the day, particularly weekdays, you can expect a bunch of people just trying to get to or returning from work.

Tempo (Casa Moderna) is a nice property, just don't go west of it. Although right on the block behind hit is my new hangout spot "Will Call". Decent pours at okay prices.

Hi there

Something to consider.....the first time we sailed from Miami we stayed near the port and although we had a nice time (I can't remember where we stayed now) I have done more research over the years and we are going to stay in South Beach this time around.

Depending on what time you are getting into Miami I think South Beach offers more to do and you get the feel of the real Miami as your near the beaches. I researched hotels in that area and I found Hotel18 to have really nice reviews, clean, close to the beach and alot of other things.

Something to look at, I didn't know any better the first time and just thought I should stay near the port.

Happy Sailing! :D

Metro Orange Line:

I can't fully endorse the Orange Option yet. Although it is seeing pretty good ridership by airport employees. It does go through some funky areas of town, so I would say no after dark. During the day, particularly weekdays, you can expect a bunch of people just trying to get to or returning from work.

Tempo (Casa Moderna) is a nice property, just don't go west of it. Although right on the block behind hit is my new hangout spot "Will Call". Decent pours at okay prices.

Absolutely agree with you at night with the Orange line because it goes by bad neighborhoods, but during the day you will find us workers that ride the train.

Got a recomendation to go to the Filling Station for beer and burgers . This is on the corner of 1st Av SE and 2nd St SE, about 3.5 blocks east of Bisquanye. Decent area to walk at night?

I work across the street from it and is very good, again I am not in Downtown at night so it will depend where you are staying I don't recommend walking to it.

Bayside has a lot of restaurants as well as all the hotels like the Epic, JW Marriott Marquis and if you are staying close to Brickell, you can go to Mary Brickell and find all kind of restaurants and great night life.

I work across the street from it and is very good, again I am not in Downtown at night so it will depend where you are staying I don't recommend walking to it.

Bayside has a lot of restaurants as well as all the hotels like the Epic, JW Marriott Marquis and if you are staying close to Brickell, you can go to Mary Brickell and find all kind of restaurants and great night life.

So if we stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites near Brickell that is a safe area to walk at night?

Archived