Explorer sailing this week--anyone heard?

PBNJ620

Why would someone post something like this that turns out to be mostly

or 100% false info? All it did was set off a wave of incorrect info that

only served to scare those who had friends and loved ones aboard. The

real truth was that the MDR was open, there was water and plenty of food,

and the shops stayed open for the passengers.

According to reports, the Captain kept everyone informed throughout.

I wish cc posters would be more

responsible and not post with conjecture , half truths , and outright falsehoods.

There could be a couple of reasons. First off, some people have never been on a cruise where they could even barely feel the ship move so this is a whole new experience. Couple that with someone who has a tendency toward being a drama queen and they could have the ship sinking from right under their feet as they float over the top rail into the Atlantic while sitting on the deck chair that they had already reserved for the week with their RCI pool towels that they are now going to be charged $25.00 apiece for.

hoping you are doing alright. perhaps lack of power has given you some thought to coming on the adventure with us in february?????? Robyn is on board too..... ok...it was a thought

Thanks for the good thoughts. We got the power back last night as well as telephones serive. And this morning we even had cable TV.

Sorry, I just can't give up the 8 nights on Independence to switch over to Adventure. I love those southern islands but that extra day on the ship just seems to make a huge difference to my mental well, or not so well, being.

Thanks for the good thoughts. We got the power back last night as well as telephones serive. And this morning we even had cable TV.

Sorry, I just can't give up the 8 nights on Independence to switch over to Adventure. I love those southern islands but that extra day on the ship just seems to make a huge difference to my mental well, or not so well, being.

Glad you're okay!!

Glad you're okay!!

Thanks!:) Some of the houses and businesses right on the beach were completely destroyed. Even though this was not one of the most powerful hurricanes to come through here, the timing with the tides and the direction of the wind really devistated the beach area.

They have my pity. :)

Cruise Critic is saying on their Facebook page that BearBear69 is NOT even on the cruise!

Cruise Critic - if you read the story you will see that it states quite clearly that BearBear has been communicating with a friend on board by text message. BearBear is not on board Explorer - her friend is.

Sorry but I have no pity whatsoever for someone spreading false rumors on this board that isnt even on the cruise when there are people actually ON the cruise reporting different.

I don't think they're looking for pity from anyone here on cc. It started out as a private text sent to someone who then posted it here on cc as an update on the situation on the Explorer of the Seas.

which was totally false according to many others on the same ship.

tipping over sideways? walking on the walls? seriously? :rolleyes:

Cruise Critic is saying on their Facebook page that BearBear69 is NOT even on the cruise!

Sorry but I have no pity whatsoever for someone spreading false rumors on this board that isnt even on the cruise when there are people actually ON the cruise reporting different.

AGAIN, what did the post say that was a false rumor??? They posted on a text they received from someone who was onboard Explorer. Do you have a reason to doubt that the poster got such a text??

As to the content of the text itself, what was said that was false?? (Other than the hyperbole of the moment that the captain was on crack :D )

You are ignoring the fact that conditions and "amenities" available were a fluid thing that evening. The text did not necessarily conflict with other reports of the evening. The text could have come at hour one of the cruise. The other reports could have come at hour 3. It would have taken time for the crew to have gotten together sandwiches and water to hand out for example.

Thanks!:) Some of the houses and businesses right on the beach were completely destroyed. Even though this was not one of the most powerful hurricanes to come through here, the timing with the tides and the direction of the wind really devistated the beach area.

I hear Atlantic Av has (or yesterday had) 5' of sand in some spots. Waiting for relatives to email pics of it down. I think all of the family up there came thru in good shape, houses, boats, etc...all survived. One cousin probably got water in basement at house on the SW pond since the basement there is probably only 5' above the average tide level (my guess).

Glad you came thru ok!

AGAIN, what did the post say that was a false rumor??? They posted on a text they received from someone who was onboard Explorer. Do you have a reason to doubt that the poster got such a text??

As to the content of the text itself, what was said that was false?? (Other than the hyperbole of the moment that the captain was on crack :D )

Im not going to argue with you today. Been there, done that, got the t shirt.

Do you REALLY believe the ship was listing so bad they were walking on the walls though? :rolleyes:

Over sensationalize much?

Have a great day! Im done with this one. :)

Im glad to hear you are ok! I hope things start to return to normal for you all soon. :)

which was totally false according to many others on the same ship.

tipping over sideways? walking on the walls? seriously? :rolleyes:

You really think the ship was not doing some serious rolling out there with those winds and rough seas? How strongly one would have been effected or how one would describe the amount of roll would vary from person to person depending on age, physical condition, balance issues, etc.

You can't seriously believe that it was a smooth ride. :rolleyes::D

Im not going to argue with you today. Been there, done that, got the t shirt.

Do you REALLY believe the ship was listing so bad they were walking on the walls though? :rolleyes:

Over sensationalize much?

Have a great day! Im done with this one. :)

No, I don't think they were walking on the walls. But I also don't think most people are really in danger of imminent demise when they say they are "dying of thirst". I have the ability to understand the difference between expressions and literal statements. :)

Folks:

we too were among the fortunate ones to get off Explorer on Sunday - fortunate because we had an absolutely fantastic, smooth sailing.

Some points to consider (based on info from questions at the Captain's Q&A on Saturday morning on EoS) when some of these reports come out:

1) the captain has 51 years at sea. When asked about what he was going to do he reassured all that he was going to take the safest route. "We're not crazy or stupid you know!" (say that with a strong Norwegian accent...)

2) the port authority of New York had advised them - apparently as early as Friday - that they WOULD be closing the port no later than Tuesday. Turns out they closed it on Monday. If the port is closed ALL ships would have to leave by order of the Port Authority and if they did not, the probable outcome was one of three things: damage to the ship, damage to the dock, or running aground in the relatively shallow New York Harbor. (See photos of tanker run aground on Staten Island: http://preview.*******.com/9r5umpn).

3) options discussed in conference calls Friday and Saturday with other captains of the fleet and RCCL in Miami were go due east and stay north of the storm or go due south along the coast and squeeze west of the storm. This seemed to be the captain's less preferred route "because it's a bit of a squeeze". Note: the captain lives in Pikesville MD(!) and apparently knows the waters off the DE coast well.

4) not from the captain but from my knowledge of meteorology... The storm rotates counter-clockwise. It was originally predicted to make landfall somewhere in DE (ie: turn due east from where it was, with the core 200kts out at sea, when he dropped us off). Instead, it went a bit further northwest, into NJ. Going east would have meant sailing DIRECTLY into the wind and waves. Going south meant following winds for the most part. (Think about being at 9:00 vs 12:00 with the storm at the center of the clock...). For those criticizing him for going south instead of east: have a look at the shore damage reports to the north and west of the storm vs those to the south...

5) and this is for ALL those that say they 'never hear anything' from the crew - NEWS BULLETIN: there is a volume control on the desk to the left of the mirror!!! By default, it's set to OFF so that the messages are only heard in public spaces. Try turning the little knob one notch to the left! <sigh> We had constant updates - even though the storm was no factor for us.

Yeah, a really bad day, day and a half for cruising (they're in Bermuda now, on the morning of the 3rd day. Storm made landfall Monday afternoon and was already well inland by Tuesday and dissipating. Winds here in MD were in single digits to low teens - and it passed pretty much over our house!

But then again, there's a reason why cruise prices in October in the Atlantic are HALF of what they are in June!!! :cool:

The ship has a fantastic crew, THE best cruise director we've EVER had - certainly the best in the fleet - and a no-BS captain that does not seem to hesitate to do what's best for the passengers, crew, and his ship. He specifically said that the ultimate decision for the safety of the ship was "up to him, not Miami" so, please, don't say they did what they did or went where they went for $. That's just foolish conjecture best left to the 'black helicopters' crowd...

Happy cruising!

Mauro

(now to get back on the phone to see if BG&E has thought about restoring our power yet. 80F in Bermuda last week, 53F in our living room this morning. YAY!!!)

You are ignoring the fact that conditions and "amenities" available were a fluid thing that evening. The text did not necessarily conflict with other reports of the evening. The text could have come at hour one of the cruise. The other reports could have come at hour 3. It would have taken time for the crew to have gotten together sandwiches and water to hand out for example.

Good gracious people! I was quoting my phone....to the word. I guess next time i will not be helpful and answer the OP's question "has anyone heard from anyone on the Explorer?". Shheeesh. Thanks to people who get it.

Here is a text conversation that I am having with a friend who is on the sailing and texting me from Bermuda.

"Just arrived into Bermuda after a difficult crossing with winds exceeding 110 knots and causing the ship to list at an uncomfortable angle for 6 hours. The waves were higher than my balcony and many cabins were flooded, but not mine. Many windows shattered and many areas were closed off. Thank you all for your concern. After looking death in the face, I believe there is more for me to do on this earth before entering the next world and I'm grateful for opportunity to stay around."

Glad u are safe, unbelievable they sailed right into it.

"Thank you, it was a bad decision. It was choppy when we left. The captain said it would remain that way and the worst would be the next morning from 4am-8am, which was true. The very bad part lasted until mid afternoon, so about 12 hours it was life threatening to me. The listing to the port side which is where my cabin was scarey because all I could see out my balcony was a wall of water. The next day was still bad but not like the day before when I thought we would all die."

Is everyone freaked out?

"At the time, yes. Now everyone has calmed down. But there is a lot of talk about suing RC. People don't read the pc contracts."

Are they offering any compensation?

"No.

Damn RC. I've lost a lot of respect"

Archived