Explorer sailing this week--anyone heard?

PBNJ620

Sorry guys it looked like a non TA website, fooled me big time. I apologize, I was fooled. I guess there is no way to track where she is? The text was WAY scary though, I'd be doing bad thing in pants if you know what I mean.

I don't understand the reports. Why didn't they head straight out, way out to sea and if need be, blow off Bermuda? I mean if they started out heading almost transatlantic toward England wouldn't they be completely out of harms way? I mean if I was a passenger I wouldn't care if they said we cannot make to Bermuda. but are gonna stay safe way out at sea? Is this just not feasible? I'm not an expert of course, just curious.
I thought that at first, but when you think about it what they did makes perfect sense. As long as you can get south of it before it turns west, you're spending the whole time sailing with the wind, and on the left side, relative to direction, which is the side with lesser winds.

Yes...true, no internet. I have a well traveled friend (many cruises under her belt) who is who boarded yest and is with her family. I will quote her from her texts......

Crazy!

"This is one for the books. We are tipping almost sideways. No food. Everything is shut down. Never updated once. The water is not drinkable but there are donuts. Omfg! The captain is on crack to be putting us through this. There are no calm waters in the Atlantic. There is an 800 mile wingspan to Sandy. We are in 80 mph winds. We have no internet. There is a line 100 people deep to get a stale danish. Undrinkable water and there is no place open to get a drink. The swells are nothing i have ever seen. The ship is tipping so far we are almost walking on the walls. The captain and RCCL did not anticipate it to be this bad cuz they want to hold onto a buck. This is rediculous! My daughters heart is racing, shes dehydrated and most of the passengers are sick. My dad is hungry and mad. They assured us this was safe. Unbelievable! Nothing to do but sit in our cabins. There is water all over the upper decks and the statue in the front of the lounge is smashed . I need a vacation do over!"

What will be interesting to hear is why Explorer captain chose the path he chose. Reading the threads on NCL board it sounds like NCL Jewel headed straight south out of port, hugged the coast, and booked it - in apparently successful attempt to slip past the storm in the inside before Sandy came inland again.

The other ships the went out soon followed suit. But it sounds like Explorer went out of port heading due East for a while be for it turned and headed south and back inland more. Which left her in more in the path of the storm.

I am sure the captain had his ideas of the best route to go but wo us just be interested in what those thoughts were.

I am feeling so sorry for the people on this cruise. I had thought they were going to sail straight out to sea then down..

I hope they will get through the rough seas soon.

That text from the passenger was the only contact I've seen as of today. That needs to be posted to the CC 'Roll Call' page as well ...

Gods speed to all aboard!

I am feeling so sorry for the people on this cruise. I had thought they were going to sail straight out to sea then down..

I hope they will get through the rough seas soon.

I agree, that is what I thought they'd do. I do not at all understand what they were thinking? It makes zero sense. The ship may be able to take it, but the passengers can't. They are not hardened sea personnel like the captain, they are not used to this.

Yes...true, no internet. I have a well traveled friend (many cruises under her belt) who is who boarded yest and is with her family. I will quote her from her texts......

Crazy!

"This is one for the books. We are tipping almost sideways. No food. Everything is shut down. Never updated once. The water is not drinkable but there are donuts. Omfg! The captain is on crack to be putting us through this. There are no calm waters in the Atlantic. There is an 800 mile wingspan to Sandy. We are in 80 mph winds. We have no internet. There is a line 100 people deep to get a stale danish. Undrinkable water and there is no place open to get a drink. The swells are nothing i have ever seen. The ship is tipping so far we are almost walking on the walls. The captain and RCCL did not anticipate it to be this bad cuz they want to hold onto a buck. This is rediculous! My daughters heart is racing, shes dehydrated and most of the passengers are sick. My dad is hungry and mad. They assured us this was safe. Unbelievable! Nothing to do but sit in our cabins. There is water all over the upper decks and the statue in the front of the lounge is smashed . I need a vacation do over!"

No one will ever make me feel crazy for buying the bottled water package now.:D:)

Seriously, though, I pray for everyone involved in this. We live in NC and are barely missing it. We have friends in CT, but are praying for everyone's safety. Remember, you can replace material things, but never a life.

I saw on the 1PM news that EOS is in hurricaine area. Shows 20+ high swells.

Years ago We were on the Zenith just ahead of Eduardo to Bermuda. First, day in Hamilton, we were on a tour and when we came back in at noon , we were told the ship was going to Martha' s Vineyard at Midnight. The shop keepers kept the shops open till we sailed. Did all our shopping and had Trimmingham's ship our purchases home. It was a little rough. no hot tea coffer or soup, but that was about the extent of the food trouble.

The trip up was rocky but the Vineyard was beautiful, as always. People complained yelled, screamed. ME, I was glad to be put of harm's way.

We came in and the Zenith went back out to Bermuda The hull was breached due to very high waves . Many passangers and crew were hurt. But, that is one of the reasons to never cruise during hurricaine season, although the prices ,may look very good you take a gamble.

I pray that all of them on EOS are safe.

Sending many prayers for the people onboard. Hoping they make it safely!!!

Crazy!

we sailed home from Bermuda and water was just fine. I would say sea where less the 7 foot . Spoke to some body on board today and said had a little bumpy ride. I belive them. i dont belive everything i read on CC

This sort of conflicts with the original post from poster that knew people onboard.

Wonder if things may have been exagerated. :eek:

I don't think it can go on to Bermuda with a bunch of broken windows. The news man said there is a cruise ship at Cape Charles on Eastern Shore. I wonder if that is Explorer?

The EnOTS was anchored at Cape Charles after randomly cruising the Atlantic. They then returned to the Bay and anchored. Have no idea where the ship is currently located but they stayed anchored for quite a long time.

I don't think it can go on to Bermuda with a bunch of broken windows. The news man said there is a cruise ship at Cape Charles on Eastern Shore. I wonder if that is Explorer?

Nope that would be the Enchantment of the Seas which was also scheduled to go to Bermuda. It left Baltimore late on Sat. couldn't get out and has been anchored there since then. At least I think it is still there,

That's Enchantment. It's been there for a couple of days.

Also, what is a "bunch" of broken windows? 2, 5, 15, 35? Where are they? Public spaces? Staterooms? My guess is public spaces.

Freedom cruised last Oct after taking on rainwater in multiple cabins and having damage in other locations onboard. We were on the cruise after (just like we will be on EX next week) and other than a couple of areas where they were replacing carpet, you couldn't tell.

We do need to wait and hear other reports and not jump on the first dramatic one. Some people overdramatize things and others underplay them. We need to wait and hear more reports.

Geez!!!! We just got off the EOS on Sunday. We always cruise Oct. or Nov. and this is the first time that we've come so close to something like this. I'm hoping that I wouldn't have gotten on the ship with those predictions. We always get the insurance, but you're hoping that everything will turn out ok. I watched the people boarding yesterday, and was happy, for once, that we were leaving! We'll pray for everyones saftey!

Crazy!

this is not even remotely close to what my mom said was going on, and shes' on board with my dad sister and bro in law... the seas are horrific, the windjammer is shut because of broken windows, open decks are closed, but they have food set up and they were giving out water... and they have wifi, we facetime'd her from her ipad, me from my macbook. they're now heading into calmer seas, she said its improved majorly since earlier this morning.

this is not even remotely close to what my mom said was going on, and shes' on board with my dad sister and bro in law... the seas are horrific, the windjammer is shut because of broken windows, open decks are closed, but they have food set up and they were giving out water... and they have wifi, we facetime'd her from her ipad, me from my macbook. they're now heading into calmer seas, she said its improved majorly since earlier this morning.

There is always 2 sides to a story, but, in this case, I am sure there will be a lot more. Should make for some interesting stories when they return. I hope they at least get some OBC or a percentage off on another cruise. They are going through a difficult situation. I hope the best for them.

The blame should be spread around...if there is any. Someone called them names and asked if they watched the news.....did the passengers watch the news? They knew it was coming too. I'm not making excuses for anyone but RCCL decided to pull out of port (because it is safer in the open ocean then tied up to a dock) but the passengers made the decision to get on the ship.

The blame should be spread around...if there is any. Someone called them names and asked if they watched the news.....did the passengers watch the news? They knew it was coming too. I'm not making excuses for anyone but RCCL decided to pull out of port (because it is safer in the open ocean then tied up to a dock) but the passengers made the decision to get on the ship.

And from what I understand all were offered opportunity to leave ship and get full refund or free other cruise (basically same thing I guess). I do understand if you have already flown in and taken time off from work not wanting to lose your holiday. But having said that, I would NOT have cruised with the forecast as it was.

Archived