Explorer sailing this week--anyone heard?

PBNJ620

Someone I know on the ship posted this on facebook this morning, all is well....

"I met sandy "eye to eye" in the atlantic over 100 knots of wind and 30 to 40 ft seas the Explorer took it like a champ and we will be in bermuda on wednesday morning at 715 as planned

I hope all is well back home and I will talk to everyone soon"

My kind of sailor :)

Water doesn't really look rough, but it is pushing in towards the city.

Not sure what dock you say they were showing at but everytime I've checked the camera they've been showing the seawall under the camera on Staten Island and while it has some debris, there isn't really any damage. The power lines are still standing.

The problem with that camera is it really only shows the seawall area and can look across the harbor, but you can't really see much. When EX is in port it shows up as a very small ship until it sails toward and past the camera.

How can you say there is really no damage if you didn't even see the dock when they were showing it?:rolleyes: That is ridiculous. The pilot boat that you also didn't see was rolling back and forth.

i dont know if they will have it fixed in time for sunday. if you go to pretend book it it says N/A for the whole boat. it did not say that yesterday morning but last night it did and it still does. I though you could book up to 4 days before ????? ( not sure ) so if they thought it was sailing on sunday shouldnt it still be bookable?

How can you say there is really no damage if you didn't even see the dock when they were showing it?:rolleyes: That is ridiculous. The pilot boat that you also didn't see was rolling back and forth.

I said, there is no real damage where they are showing the seawall. Just debris. It's a bit ridiculous to say something that I didn't. I saw the pilot boat, but it was just sitting in the water rocking a bit, but nothing serious.

The reality is, all you can see from that camera is the water and the seawall on Staten Island.

i dont know if they will have it fixed in time for sunday. if you go to pretend book it it says N/A for the whole boat. it did not say that yesterday morning but last night it did and it still does. I though you could book up to 4 days before ????? ( not sure ) so if they thought it was sailing on sunday shouldnt it still be bookable?

Have what fixed? The ship is fine according to others onboard and the types of repairs it needs are easily done while in port or sailing.

As for the port, it's a concrete pier, not likely to have much damage.

Okay, I just did a "mock" booking and the N/A shows no inside or outside, but there are balcony and suites showing prices. You can book. You have to look beyond the initial search page.

Have what fixed? The ship is fine according to others onboard and the types of repairs it needs are easily done while in port or sailing.

As for the port, it's a concrete pier, not likely to have much damage.

Okay, I just did a "mock" booking and the N/A shows no inside or outside, but there are balcony and suites showing prices. You can book. You have to look beyond the initial search page.

But people have to be able to get to the dock. And park. Etc. there may well be infrastructure issues beyond the ship and the pier itself......

But people have to be able to get to the dock. And park. Etc. there may well be infrastructure issues beyond the ship and the pier itself......

It's 5 days from now. I'm on the next cruise. Let's try something different and think positively? I like to think positively, it's a lot less stressful and takes a lot less energy than being negative.

Why would you think no one could get there or park? The lot is a flat asphalt surface. Water may have come over it, but I doubt it is an issue. As for getting there, why is that a problem 5 days from now? If the trains aren't running, we're driving. Airports are reopening and flights are resuming. Flood waters recede pretty quickly.

Just checked the RC website and they are showing price for all categories.

No worries.

NCL Jewel left just behind them. The Jewel blasted past doing 22 knots vs the 14-16 RCCL was doing. They went right down the coast head on and were out of the rough sea's in 1/2 the time.

I think NCL made the right call not sure why RCCL went so slow. I would take a shorter maybe rougher ride over a long slow one.

I said, there is no real damage where they are showing the seawall. Just debris. It's a bit ridiculous to say something that I didn't. I saw the pilot boat, but it was just sitting in the water rocking a bit, but nothing serious.

The reality is, all you can see from that camera is the water and the seawall on Staten Island.

The reality is, the camera can pan and see other things in the area like it was this morning. Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

My parents and I have been in contact since they left the port on Sunday and some of these posts made me nervous, but everyone's feelings and thoughts are different. I will say this, my parents and their friends say the Captain and Crew have made sure to keep everyone aware of the situation. There is water and its drinkable. The food for the worst of the rocking was food that was easy to prepare when they hit rough seas (continental breakfast and sandwiches for lunch, sorry no soup!) I just asked my mom if she felt they were getting low on food and her response was "we heard that some eggs broke" if you only like to eat omelets that might be a problem." The broken windows are on the upper decks but it sounds like the crew was prepared for that and acted quickly, my mom is currently on her way to check them, seems that mostly public areas had problems but the crew was able to repair what they could until they get to the Island, however she is not 100% sure. All the shops on the ships remained open even during the rough seas and they still had their formal dinner last night. They are in calm seas now and can see the sun, she sent me a bragging picture. The windjammer is open!

I know it's easy to panic, but I wanted to let everyone know that for the 8 people on board that I just spoke to, it's not that bad and they will be in Bermuda tomorrow as scheduled!

It's 5 days from now. I'm on the next cruise. Let's try something different and think positively? I like to think positively, it's a lot less stressful and takes a lot less energy than being negative.

Why would you think no one could get there or park? The lot is a flat asphalt surface. Water may have come over it, but I doubt it is an issue. As for getting there, why is that a problem 5 days from now? If the trains aren't running, we're driving. Airports are reopening and flights are resuming. Flood waters recede pretty quickly.

I think most of the people impacted by this storm would love to be able to think that 5 days was plenty of time to have infrastructure back to normal........ But I am thinking all the crews so hard at work will have more pressing priorities than making sure the cruise docks are ready for ships to come in and go out by this weekend. I hope I am wrong. :)

I think most of the people impacted by this storm would love to be able to think that 5 days was plenty of time to have infrastructure back to normal........ But I am thinking all the crews so hard at work will have more pressing priorities than making sure the cruise docks are ready for ships to come in and go out by this weekend. I hope I am wrong. :)

I wouldn't mind getting electricity and phone service back at my house.

not if it's sold out. We were on Explorer last week and returned Sunday morning, just before Sandy arrived. our cruise was sold out several days prior to departure... except for the Grand Suite, which was auctioned off while we were at sea. Usually N/A means that there are no cabins available in the category.

I would like to add that while I was onboard last week, the captain spoke to all of us frequently about the dilemma of how to proceed with Sandy bearing down on the east coast. I recall him saying that he was going to head eastward then turn south to Bermuda as Sandy came ashore in NJ, but again, that was midweek, so I'm sure that he chose the best passage with the most current information he had when they left port on Sunday. The man is a seasoned captain; I would bet my life he knows what he's doing. This was our 3rd trip in 3 yrs on Explorer and I've already booked the next trip for Oct 2013. He and that crew are outstanding and I have no qualms about getting back on that boat.

Sailed on Haze Gray Cruise Line (US Navy) and took 52 degree rolls each side (104 degrees total) from centerline on a destoyer. And, that was not in a hurricane. If you go to sea, expect ships to respond to the seas they are in. Generally, the ships can and will handle it. It won't be comfortable.

I can't imagine that much of a list - my hat is off to you. I can take some rough weather, but my puke threshold would be a lot less than that.

I read somewhere that the typical passenger on a cruise ship becomes uncomfortable if the ship lists/rolls more than 3~5deg on each side, so the design criteria for cruise ships (stabilizers, etc) is to minimize rolling under that amount.

But everyone I know that was in the Navy has gone through much, much more than that - as you indicated your experience was. I am sure many of those that took the rough weather in stride were ex-Navy, as you have seen a lot worse.

(I was in the Air Force, and not part of an air crew, so my experience in comparison is probably more like a Country Club environment).

Cruise ships are designed I think to survive for a 45deg list (perhaps more, but I think they have a higher COG/COB than a warship). That doesn't mean that the ship will not receive some damage, or passengers will be, injured, thrown around like ping-pong balls, or if outside, get thrown off the ship at that degree of list/rolling, but it should at least be comforting that those ships can take a lot of punishment and still be safe. (on the Freedom last year, they kept everyone inside, and banned from going outside).

My cruise ship nightmare is being in a serious storm and get thrown out of the balcony after the sliding door broke off (or even through the sliding door).

You don't have to have all phone and electricity restored to sail. I think you're also missing the point that maritime operations are big business.

You don't have to have all phone and electricity restored to sail. I think you're also missing the point that maritime operations are big business.

I am not exactly missing that point. :). I am just taking into consideration the fact that there are MANY operations that are big business. NYC is big business. But every big business can - and will- not be back to normal operations come this weekend. No matter what the $$$ involved. Hence the news that this storm will end up costing untold billions.

We will just have to wait and see what happens. As I said, I hope you are right and I am wrong.

I am not exactly missing that point. :). I am just taking into consideration the fact that there are MANY operations that are big business. NYC is big business. But every big business can - and will- not be back to normal operations come this weekend. No matter what the $$$ involved. Hence the news that this storm will end up costing untold billions.

We will just have to wait and see what happens. As I said, I hope you are right and I am wrong.

We don't even know if Cape Liberty is affected.

We don't even know if Cape Liberty is affected.

Quite correct. But there has to be power for the terminals. Workers at the terminals have to be able to get to work. Travelers have to be able to get to the port through affected areas. Gas stations have to be open and functioning for travel. Etc. The news is currently reporting that it could take a week for the airports to open?

Again, I hope you are right and I am wrong. I hope the news is all over blown and things will be business as usual at Cape Liberty this weekend. I hope it is an oasis in a state otherwise classified as a disaster zone. :o

Yes...true, no internet. I have a well traveled friend (many cruises under her belt) who is who boarded yest and is with her family. I will quote her from her texts......

Crazy!

"This is one for the books. We are tipping almost sideways. No food. Everything is shut down. Never updated once. The water is not drinkable but there are donuts. Omfg! The captain is on crack to be putting us through this. There are no calm waters in the Atlantic. There is an 800 mile wingspan to Sandy. We are in 80 mph winds. We have no internet. There is a line 100 people deep to get a stale danish. Undrinkable water and there is no place open to get a drink. The swells are nothing i have ever seen. The ship is tipping so far we are almost walking on the walls. The captain and RCCL did not anticipate it to be this bad cuz they want to hold onto a buck. This is rediculous! My daughters heart is racing, shes dehydrated and most of the passengers are sick. My dad is hungry and mad. They assured us this was safe. Unbelievable! Nothing to do but sit in our cabins. There is water all over the upper decks and the statue in the front of the lounge is smashed . I need a vacation do over!"

Why would someone post something like this that turns out to be mostly

or 100% false info? All it did was set off a wave of incorrect info that

only served to scare those who had friends and loved ones aboard. The

real truth was that the MDR was open, there was water and plenty of food,

and the shops stayed open for the passengers.

According to reports, the Captain kept everyone informed throughout.

I wish cc posters would be more

responsible and not post with conjecture , half truths , and outright falsehoods.

responsible and not post with conjecture , half truths , and outright falsehoods.

I think you have to really look at what the poster really described. And remember we don't know at what point of the cruise he/she posted the info.

They state that the ship was tipping. I am sure with the rough seas it was indeed rolling pretty good from side to side. Enough to make someone not used to sailing through such a storm fearful.

They state the water was not drinkable. Apparently that was the case initially.

They state there was no food. Perhaps stated before sandwiches and bottled water were handed out. Was the MDR open that first night which was the time of this report? I know when my DD was on Freedom with her lists last October the MDR was closed for second seating and all the passengers were sent to their cabins. And the captain was a bit busy to give updates until the immediate situation was over. DD had to go without dinner. Snacks were offered later in the night when the seas had calmed.

They state there were strong winds, no Internet, and a storm 800 miles wide. Again all true.

They state no place open to get a drink. Perhaps referring to a bar and A DRINK! Probably factual. And I think I might have been needing a drink about then as well. :D

They then describe how they are physically and emotionally responding to the situation. I have no reason to doubt their reactions.

The only thing I might take issue with is the conclusion that the captain was on crack. And I will go out on a limb here and say they probably didn't expect you to really think the captain was engaging in recreational drugs......

So all and all I really can't find fault with the post. I am not sure my report would have been much calmer had I been on that ship. :eek::o

Because the OP is obviously trying to get pity and people on their side for when they come back with the NEVER AGAIN thread and threatens to sue the big bad evil cruise line :rolleyes:

Because the OP is obviously trying to get pity and people on their side for when they come back with the NEVER AGAIN thread and threatens to sue the big bad evil cruise line :rolleyes:

They have my pity. :)

One of the last places I would have wanted to be was on that ship heading out east into the storm. And that is what Explorer did do initially - which is probably the time the report was sent.

The other ships that headed out that day headed south from the get go hugging the coast and booking it to outrun the storm (NCL Jewel I think it was with a couple other ships following that course very shortly). Explorer headed east much longer before turning south. So I honestly believe those on the Explorer had a considerably rougher ride than the passengers on the other ships that went out that day from the NYC area.

I am not saying I think there is anything sue worthy. I understand passengers were offered the opportunity to cancel the cruise and many did. Although I guess something could be said about those who are not sea experts trusting the experts (cruise line) in the decision to sail. But they did indeed make the journey safely so there is that as well.

I am just saying that I think it is wrong to trash the person making the report of their experiences and how they felt about those same experiences. It was actually a pretty factual account at that point in time (captain on crack comment aside) given by someone who had obviously been very scared by this experience.

Archived