Explorer sailing this week--anyone heard?

PBNJ620

I unusually avoid these types of rants but I must make a short comment.... you did unknowingly answered your own question "I have no way of knowing as I am not a maritime expert of any sort".

It’s difficult to read these comments and believe they are being said with sincerity. RCCL's experts who have education, ability, knowledge and 40 years of experience in maintaining a successful passenger cruise line. Captain Olav Nyseter has 50 years of maritime experience who commands immense respect among his peers was directing his crew. Passengers had a choice to board the ship or not. RCCL made an educated decision to sail after carefully analysing the absolute best option for passengers, crew and ship. At no time was any person's lives at risk....RCCL is not Reckless. To make claims that this was the case demonstrates total ignorance.

RCCL and their crew made the best decision to sail in the direction they choose.

I have lived on/near the ocean my entire life and you can count me in as someone that would not have stepped foot on board that ship this week. And no one can say with any certainty that no ones life was at risk. Those seas were dangerous and no matter how talented the captain and crew... any number of things could have gone wrong. If that ship had lost power it would have been tossed around the ocean like a rag doll:eek:

Ocean Boy- glad to hear you are okay:)

I have lived on/near the ocean my entire life and you can count me in as someone that would not have stepped foot on board that ship this week. And no one can say with any certainty that no ones life was at risk. Those seas were dangerous and no matter how talented the captain and crew... any number of things could have gone wrong. If that ship had lost power it would have been tossed around the ocean like a rag doll:eek:

Ocean Boy- glad to hear you are okay:)

I agree.

And I also have a problem with the arguments that say something to the effect of - they made it unharmed (basically) to Bermuda so obviously the captain/RC made the right choice and the trip was safe.

The logic - or lack thereof - astounds me. Think abut it. This is saying that the fact that you got through an action without incident makes the action was safe.

Does that mean that if a drunk driver gets home without killing someone that driving drunk was safe? Does that mean that if a teen drives 100 mph down the highway without having an accident that speeding is safe?

All that getting to Bermuda without harm means is that they got to Bermuda. It really does not speak to the safety of the action.

There will be a lot more going into the final analysis of whether the cruise ships should have taken on passengers for their necessary trip out of the storm. Whether passengers were given adequate information about opportunities to cancel or what they might expect if there chose to sail anyway (if they were given a choice).

And when the experts weigh in on the issue I don't think "well, they made it to Bermuda didn't they?" will find its way to the talking points on either side of the issue. :)

I am on the Explorer right now, docked in Bermuda. Interesting reading someof the stories and speculations. Speculate away! I will say for those leaving on on Sunday that as of now we will be back. We are waiting on some kind of word about any damaging to the parked cars there, seems we can't get any info except there was damage. Besides that, have been having a great time!

Hopefully RC will be making arrangements to help with transportation for those who can no longer drive home.

i would guess that specific information might be hard to come by - or certainly take a while to collect - as people park in various places and you don't list your vehicle information with the cruise line. Plus getting to all the cars to check license plates for reference, etc.

I agree.

And I also have a problem with the arguments that say something to the effect of - they made it unharmed (basically) to Bermuda so obviously the captain/RC made the right choice and the trip was safe.

The logic - or lack thereof - astounds me. Think abut it. This is saying that the fact that you got through an action without incident makes the action was safe.

The other issue that doesn't quite fit for me with some of the opinions is that, as I see it, a cruise is not simply transportation in order to get to a destination. When people take a cruise getting there is a good part of the fun. Who wants to spend a cruise riding out a hurricane simply to get to Bermuda? It makes no sense to me. If I just wanted to go to Bermuda that badly then I'd get on a plane and be there in three hours.

I will say it once again... I would not have stepped foot on that ship. It is great that everyone is safe and that the ship made it without any major incidences. For RCI to load up a ship with passengers and take them out in the muck for what is nothing more than a pleasure trip is interesting at best and quite risky at worst. It make no difference how skilled a captain and crew or how capable the ship of withstanding the forces.

RCI made their choices. Passengers made their choices. I know what my choice would have been.

The other issue that doesn't quite fit for me with some of the opinions is that, as I see it, a cruise is not simply transportation in order to get to a destination. When people take a cruise getting there is a good part of the fun. Who wants to spend a cruise riding out a hurricane simply to get to Bermuda? It makes no sense to me. If I just wanted to go to Bermuda that badly then I'd get on a plane and be there in three hours.

I will say it once again... I would not have stepped foot on that ship. It is great that everyone is safe and that the ship made it without any major incidences. For RCI to load up a ship with passengers and take them out in the muck for what is nothing more than a pleasure trip is interesting at best and quite risky at worst. It make no difference how skilled a captain and crew or how capable the ship of withstanding the forces.

RCI made their choices. Passengers made their choices. I know what my choice would have been.

You and I are definately of like mind here. And, btw, I was glad to read yesterday that your home itself was OK with services back up. :)

I am on the Explorer right now, docked in Bermuda. Interesting reading someof the stories and speculations. Speculate away! I will say for those leaving on on Sunday that as of now we will be back. We are waiting on some kind of word about any damaging to the parked cars there, seems we can't get any info except there was damage. Besides that, have been having a great time!

Terri, so good to hear from you and that everything is okay. Gosh, we went through Hurricane Noel together on the Explorer a few years ago and now you had to go through Sandy. Wow! Is your friend sailing with you again? Sorry don't remember her name.

Shahira

here is a text I just recieved from my friend on the Explorer.

"Just got a letter in my cabin from the captain. He says the port was damaged and cars flooded. They are opening up the phone and Internet tomorrow for free to contact ins companies. He also said they are bringing in guest service people to help with all of the problems. What another nightmare and reinforces they should have given us the option to leave."

here is a text I just recieved from my friend on the Explorer.

"Just got a letter in my cabin from the captain. He says the port was damaged and cars flooded. They are opening up the phone and Internet tomorrow for free to contact ins companies. He also said they are bringing in guest service people to help with all of the problems. What another nightmare and reinforces they should have given us the option to leave."

Still can't believe they didn't give people the option to leave?! The option was clearly there but they would not be issuing a refund, etc? Blows my mind.

I'm on the Exploer right now in Bermuda. All I can say is that it was a GREAT ride on Monday and the Capt. And Crew did a super job.

the Capt. Kept us inform and I did not feel unsafe at all. I have not read the other post but all Ican say is we all are having a super time and if somebody is not happy then it is there own falt. You make the best out of any bad thing. and why complain. a day at sea is better then a day at home. even IF the ship is a rocking. You have to go with the flow

and have fun.

Tropical Weather Update

November 1, 2012 - 10:00 a.m. E.S.T

At this time, Royal Caribbean has not altered the boarding time or itinerary of any ship that departs from Cape Liberty, Bayonne, New Jersey, tomorrow or Sunday.

However, we encourage guests sailing on Brilliance of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas monitor this website for any additional updates.

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor the situation in the northeast and will update this information again tomorrow, Friday, November 2, at 10:00 a.m. E.S.T.

I'm on the Exploer right now in Bermuda. All I can say is that it was a GREAT ride on Monday and the Capt. And Crew did a super job.

the Capt. Kept us inform and I did not feel unsafe at all. I have not read the other post but all Ican say is we all are having a super time and if somebody is not happy then it is there own falt. You make the best out of any bad thing. and why complain. a day at sea is better then a day at home. even IF the ship is a rocking. You have to go with the flow

and have fun.

Glad to hear you're having fun.

I guess you weren't "walking on ceilings" as someone claimed earlier.

Cheers!

Tropical Weather Update

November 1, 2012 - 10:00 a.m. E.S.T

At this time, Royal Caribbean has not altered the boarding time or itinerary of any ship that departs from Cape Liberty, Bayonne, New Jersey, tomorrow or Sunday.

However, we encourage guests sailing on Brilliance of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas monitor this website for any additional updates.

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor the situation in the northeast and will update this information again tomorrow, Friday, November 2, at 10:00 a.m. E.S.T.

Having real issues getting to the area of the Royal's website containing info on sailing. Keep getting booted out. Haven't received any e-mails from them and we are scheduled to sail on 11/4. Traffic has been a mess all around NY/NJ area. Obviously, some damage to the port in Bayonne.

The port of NY only opened today, but there is a caution that the waters all around NY are heavily polluted due to dumping of raw sewage from plants during the storm.

Power is still out in NY below 39th Street river to river. Marathon is still scheduled for Sunday only adding to the difficulities getting to the port.

Royal really needs to do some type of communication since many have no power and still may not until next week. We have no idea if the sail time will be delayed or how long it will take to get to the port. If today is any indication of what to expect, a normal trip of 1/2 hour took 3-4 hours! Shortage of gas at gas stations is also a problem.

There are real problems in the NY/NJ/CT areas as a result of the storm. I want to be on my 11/4 sailing on the EOS as much as the next person, but there are serious things going on around us that we must deal with.

MARAPRINCE

Having real issues getting to the area of the Royal's website containing info on sailing. Keep getting booted out. Haven't received any e-mails from them and we are scheduled to sail on 11/4. Traffic has been a mess all around NY/NJ area. Obviously, some damage to the port in Bayonne.

The port of NY only opened today, but there is a caution that the waters all around NY are heavily polluted due to dumping of raw sewage from plants during the storm.

Power is still out in NY below 39th Street river to river. Marathon is still scheduled for Sunday only adding to the difficulities getting to the port.

Royal really needs to do some type of communication since many have no power and still may not until next week. We have no idea if the sail time will be delayed or how long it will take to get to the port. If today is any indication of what to expect, a normal trip of 1/2 hour took 3-4 hours! Shortage of gas at gas stations is also a problem.

There are real problems in the NY/NJ/CT areas as a result of the storm. I want to be on my 11/4 sailing on the EOS as much as the next person, but there are serious things going on around us that we must deal with.

MARAPRINCE

The port is only open for gasoline and fuel deliveries. It is not fully open.

Glad to hear you're having fun.

I guess you weren't "walking on ceilings" as someone claimed earlier.

Cheers!

It was actually the walls....and yes, that was that persons perceived experience at the time...which was terrifying, we can only imagine.

If you expect there to be lack of emotion in the moment when someone's safety and their family's safety is being compromised while out at sea...think again.

It was actually the walls....and yes, that was that persons perceived experience at the time...which was terrifying, we can only imagine.

If you expect there to be lack of emotion in the moment when someone's safety and their family's safety is being compromised while out at sea...think again.

You are actually very spot on with your post. Just think about people who are terrified to be on a roller coaster, which for the most past is extremely safe, while others ride it and have a blast. People react differently to situations. I don't find being hypersensitive to conditions while on a ship out on the ocean during a major storm to be an over the top reaction.

I also suspect that some people are not having such a great time in Bermuda wondering if they are going to return to a trashed car or home. Yes, some can take it all in stride but others just cannot set it all aside and just have a good time. And it has NOTHING to do with "going with the flow."

Yeah you're right. People react differently.

You are actually very spot on with your post. Just think about people who are terrified to be on a roller coaster, which for the most past is extremely safe, while others ride it and have a blast. People react differently to situations. I don't find being hypersensitive to conditions while on a ship out on the ocean during a major storm to be an over the top reaction.

I also suspect that some people are not having such a great time in Bermuda wondering if they are going to return to a trashed car or home. Yes, some can take it all in stride but others just cannot set it all aside and just have a good time. And it has NOTHING to do with "going with the flow."

Amen, OceanBoy :)

Ding! Ding! DING!! (Me being that roller coaster wimp...:o)

And Maraprince was spot on about the serious conditions still at play that many must deal with as stressors in contemplating the upcoming cruise(s).

Hi

We were booked on the Oct 28th Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda. We passed.

I've lived on the RI coast all my life. The best place for the boat was out at sea. But not with us! My reason for cruising is to relax and get away from the daily mania - not to spend two days in a highly anxious state.

We were very disappointed with the minimal communication by RCI. Their updates were hours later than promised and on Sunday their 10am post (posted shortly after 11am) didn't mention Explorer of the Seas.

We'll continue with RC but we'll make sure we're not on a ship with that particular Capt. It was drilled into me at an early age to trust the person in charge of the boat.

Hi

I've lived on the RI coast all my life. The best place for the boat was out at sea. But not with us! My reason for cruising is to relax and get away from the daily mania - not to spend two days in a highly anxious state.

We were very disappointed with the minimal communication by RCI. Their updates were hours later than promised and on Sunday their 10am post (posted shortly after 11am) didn't mention Explorer of the Seas.

We'll continue with RC but we'll make sure we're not on a ship with that particular Capt. It was drilled into me at an early age to trust the person in charge of the boat.

Could you please tell me what the captain should have done and I hope you speak from many many years of being the captain of a large ship other wise your opinion doesn’t squat.

Hi

I'm confused, you said yourself the best place for the ship was at sea and thats exactly what the Capt did, went to sea. So why would you not sail with him again after he did exactly what you thought he should do?

Now I could see you being upset about communications, but that corporates job not the capt.

Archived