Explorer sailing this week--anyone heard?

PBNJ620

Hi

We were booked on the Oct 28th Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda. We passed.

I've lived on the RI coast all my life. The best place for the boat was out at sea. But not with us! My reason for cruising is to relax and get away from the daily mania - not to spend two days in a highly anxious state.

We were very disappointed with the minimal communication by RCI. Their updates were hours later than promised and on Sunday their 10am post (posted shortly after 11am) didn't mention Explorer of the Seas.

We'll continue with RC but we'll make sure we're not on a ship with that particular Capt. It was drilled into me at an early age to trust the person in charge of the boat.

A brand new ID with the name "Ban", now to figure out the real ID....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the good thoughts. We got the power back last night as well as telephones serive. And this morning we even had cable TV.

Sorry, I just can't give up the 8 nights on Independence to switch over to Adventure. I love those southern islands but that extra day on the ship just seems to make a huge difference to my mental well, or not so well, being.

oh man....we are doing b2b!!!

Still can't believe they didn't give people the option to leave?! The option was clearly there but they would not be issuing a refund, etc? Blows my mind.

I am sorry, but anyone that books a cruise during hurricane season knows that there is always a chance of a major storm(such as Sandy). Everyone is always so quick to blame the cruise line for what it does or doesn't do. How about passengers being accountable for their own actions. I am booked on the Explorer next September 2013. If there is a hurricane or bad storm of any kind and we cannot sail that is my own fault for booking at that time. No one elses and I don't expect any special treatment. How about instead of complaining....we keep in our thoughts all those who have lost their homes, jobs and or lives during this terrible time.

Could you please tell me what the captain should have done and I hope you speak from many many years of being the captain of a large ship other wise your opinion doesn’t squat.

Quite crude. The boat was safer but not necessarily the passengers. I didn't say you or any one else shouldn't sail with this Capt. We won't.

Hope they all have low deductibles on their comp portion of auto insurance.

Quite crude. The boat was safer but not necessarily the passengers. I didn't say you or any one else shouldn't sail with this Capt. We won't.

Hope they all have low deductibles on their comp portion of auto insurance.

But you still haven't said why you wouldn't sail with this captain. What did he do wrong?

I am sorry, but anyone that books a cruise during hurricane season knows that there is always a chance of a major storm(such as Sandy). Everyone is always so quick to blame the cruise line for what it does or doesn't do. How about passengers being accountable for their own actions. I am booked on the Explorer next September 2013. If there is a hurricane or bad storm of any kind and we cannot sail that is my own fault for booking at that time. No one elses and I don't expect any special treatment. How about instead of complaining....we keep in our thoughts all those who have lost their homes, jobs and or lives during this terrible time.

Do you feel that the cruise lines have any accountability for choosing to run ships in a hurricane prone area during the peak of storm season? They certainly are far more aware of the chance of a major ocean storm than say someone living in Oklahoma who may have never set eyes on the ocean before.

And for the record, once again, I would take responsibility for my actions. I would not have gotten on the ship.

:confused:Was anyone injured on this cruise?

There have been absolutely no reports by anyone of any injuries. The reason they closed to WJ and weren't preparing hot meals were for everyone's safety.

A kitchen/galley is a dangerous place for the workers if the ship is moving too much.

If anything most reports from those onboard are that they are safe and sound and it was very rocky.

they set up a room with phone use and internet for us here on board just for today to ch ck on stuff back home. we are docked in kings wharf, leaving on time later today. theyve been busy fixing stuff up around the ship it went through 100+ kt winds and about 40-50 foot seas. we've had good weather in bermuda thank goodness. havent heard much about injuries, were confined to cabins during storm

ed

they set up a room with phone use and internet for us here on board just for today to ch ck on stuff back home. we are docked in kings wharf, leaving on time later today. theyve been busy fixing stuff up around the ship it went through 100+ kt winds and about 40-50 foot seas. we've had good weather in bermuda thank goodness. havent heard much about injuries, were confined to cabins during storm

ed

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable decision on RCI's part to take you all out to sea in that.

RCI sucks! They should be sued! That Captain is on crack! The ship almost turned over! There was no food or water! People almost died!

*yawn*

:rolleyes:

Thought you were serious for a moment! Hope everyone enjoyed Bermuda. I would love to be there.

We've experienced bad seas and high winds off Florida on our way to the caribbean. Never complain because we sleep fantastic. Better than sitting in the airport waiting to catch a flight.

As we all know, storms can happen anywhere at anytime, but earthquakes don't prevent us from going to the west coast. Tornados don't stop us from going south. Car accidents don't stop us from driving. Life is a gamble.

Enjoy each day as best you can. I'll bet there are alot people in the northeast drinking lemon martinis right now. We made more friends with neighbors we never met before during the Blizzard of '78. Lots of bbq and beverages. Fortunately, we lived a block from a liquor & convenience store. Had to walk thru several feet of snow, but it was an adventure we will never forget. No power for a week. Kids had to learn how to play board games. DH enjoyed teaching them poker games. Beer & wine and a nice fire in our fireplace kept our spirits up.

This too shall pass....Book a cruise and look forward not backward!

Thought you were serious for a moment! Hope everyone enjoyed Bermuda. I would love to be there.

We've experienced bad seas and high winds off Florida on our way to the caribbean. Never complain because we sleep fantastic. Better than sitting in the airport waiting to catch a flight.

As we all know, storms can happen anywhere at anytime, but earthquakes don't prevent us from going to the west coast. Tornados don't stop us from going south. Car accidents don't stop us from driving. Life is a gamble.

Enjoy each day as best you can. I'll bet there are alot people in the northeast drinking lemon martinis right now. We made more friends with neighbors we never met before during the Blizzard of '78. Lots of bbq and beverages. Fortunately, we lived a block from a liquor & convenience store. Had to walk thru several feet of snow, but it was an adventure we will never forget. No power for a week. Kids had to learn how to play board games. DH enjoyed teaching them poker games. Beer & wine and a nice fire in our fireplace kept our spirits up.

This too shall pass....Book a cruise and look forward not backward!

I agree.......life is too short to begin with. There is no guarantee in life. Enjoy it while you can.....I am.:D

Wasn't this the cruise that someone mentioned being super discounted? The thread was something along "Good Deal if you can sail in two weeks"

I think it is the cruise that I will be on on Sunday. That was a really good deal. Too good to pass up.:D Don't know about the present cruise.

:confused:Was anyone injured on this cruise?

From what I dont know...but my friend onboard met a woman whose 16 yo daughter broke her arm during storm peak.

Now seriously people, why dont you just wait to hear what the passengers have to say when they disembark.

We just disembarked the Brilliance today in Bayonne and debarkation was a breeze. Shuttle buses to the terminal were plentiful and buses to the airport were also in abundance. There did not seem to be a lot of damage to the terminal building itself. If we hadn't been watching the path of Frankenstorm Sandy as we headed down the coast after our departure from Quebec on October 22, as we got closer to the port we would have thought it was business as usual.

Sorry to hear that.

From what I dont know...but my friend onboard met a woman whose 16 yo daughter broke her arm during storm peak.

Now seriously people, why dont you just wait to hear what the passengers have to say when they disembark.

We just disembarked the Brilliance today in Bayonne and debarkation was a breeze. Shuttle buses to the terminal were plentiful and buses to the airport were also in abundance. There did not seem to be a lot of damage to the terminal building itself. If we hadn't been watching the path of Frankenstorm Sandy as we headed down the coast after our departure from Quebec on October 22, as we got closer to the port we would have thought it was business as usual.

Patti--That is very good to hear. We just sailed form Bayonne 3 weeks ago and were sad that the area had such devastation. I guess since yours was a one-way cruise from Canada that pax did not have cars parked at the port that could have gotten flooded.

Archived