First time on Oceania.

ScottToronto

Good evening Oceania fans!

I am very interested in a South Pacific Voyage from Papeete to Papeete in 2014. This would be my first time with Oceania. I have over 170 days with Silversea.

We are looking at 2 double suites and 1 single suite. I received a quote from my TA and was quite surprised the price of single supplement is 200%. I also enquired the costs of transfers.......258.00 per person. I asked if it was a private car transfer and was informed that transfers were on a bus with other guests. Is this the normal at Oceania?

Please advise with thanks,

ScottToronto

Good evening Oceania fans!

I am very interested in a South Pacific Voyage from Papeete to Papeete in 2014. This would be my first time with Oceania. I have over 170 days with Silversea.

We are looking at 2 double suites and 1 single suite. I received a quote from my TA and was quite surprised the price of single supplement is 200%. I also enquired the costs of transfers.......258.00 per person. I asked if it was a private car transfer and was informed that transfers were on a bus with other guests. Is this the normal at Oceania?

Please advise with thanks,

ScottToronto

Please don't take this personally Scott, but I have to laugh at people who are "interested" in Oceania as a result of their significantly lower per diem cost(s), and then express "surprise" at each way in which Oceania differs from the more expensive Line.

Seabourn "includes" many items in their fares because they are marketing to an older, often single clientele who want and can afford a very personalized type of service.

Oceania Passengers tend to be more fluid about their travel plans, and -mostly- think nothing of arranging their own transfers, or shore excursions for that matter.

If you plan carefully, it is possible to save a great deal of money (as compared to sailing Seabourn) by "doing your own thing"; however, it must be said that in order to make a fair comparison between the two lines, you would need to book at least a Penthouse on Oceania.

Happy Sailing~

Transfers of $258 per person sound ridiculous to me

Anything offered by Oceania in terms of transfers or excursions IS ridiculous.

Transfers may be the most ridiculous of all.

Enjoy the ship and the service and the amenities. But don't book transfers or shore excursions from O unless you love paying 5 times what it would cost you to do it yourself.

SAVE $$$....do your own transfers. There are taxis in front of the PPT airport and there will be taxis at the port.

HOWEVER, if O offers you a day room/transfer option at the end if your cruise, that option might cost out less than something you could arrange on your own.

Scott,

As JimandStan says in order to compare Oceania with Silversea or Seabourn you have to book a penthouse. Even on the original O ships the PH is comfortable but on the new Marina and Riviera they are superb accommodations. BUT once you book a PH, add on alcohol and tips you are paying the same or more than on SS or SB so imo the excuse that O should be charging more for things like transfers or internet is specious at best. If you have found an itinerary you like I recommend you give O a try but only to experience a different line, not to save money.

Transfers of $258 per person sound ridiculous to me, assuming that these are airport to dock and back in Papeete. The airport is really close to the port. You could do cabs for a lot less.

Taxi airport to Pier....all of about 2.5 miles

Taxi airport to Pier....all of about 2.5 miles

and costs about 1500-1800 xpf (around $20 USD) depending on the time of day...plus 100-200 xpf ($1-$2) per bag.

HOWEVER, on your return to Papeete, if O is offering a day rate at a hotel that includes transfers, you might do a cost-comparison. Sometimes O's rate is better that you can do on your own for the hotel, especially if it includes a meal. The day rates sell out fast so if you're interested, book sooner than later.

Good morning all, Like Scott we will be first timers on O. Not new to cruising, just new to O

Seriously thinking of doing the South Pacific in 2014.. we are a group of eight.

My question for everyone is how does the air travel work with Oceania??? When included as it is advertised right now, what airlines do they frequently use, and are they generally direct flights to LA??? Do they use Air Papetee for the last leg of the journey?? We will be flying out of Toronto.

Hope to hear from some fellow CC with some information.

I appreciated the earlier postings on transfers. We do generally do our own, not taking the cruise line transfers. way too pricey and takes generally longer to move 40- 50 people.

I am sure I will have many more questions before this is all said and done.

Liz

Good morning all, Like Scott we will be first timers on O. Not new to cruising, just new to O

Seriously thinking of doing the South Pacific in 2014.. we are a group of eight.

My question for everyone is how does the air travel work with Oceania??? When included as it is advertised right now, what airlines do they frequently use, and are they generally direct flights to LA??? Do they use Air Papetee for the last leg of the journey?? We will be flying out of Toronto.

I appreciated the earlier postings on transfers. We do generally do our own, not taking the cruise line transfers. way too pricey and takes generally longer to move 40- 50 people.

Liz

The answer to your question in general would be very different but because of the length of the flights to the South Pacific and the timing involved with those cruises; I understand that Oceania is mostly using Charter Flights.

Liz

Air Papeete??? Have been traveling to French Polynesia for over 30 years and have never heard of this airline.

As far I know, Air France, Air Tahiti Nui (both via LAX), and Hawaiian Air (via Honolulu) are the only airlines flying to PPT.

AF and ATN code share with several airlines (Qantas, Air NZ and I think maybe Delta).

So sorry for the error in writng Air Papatee, of course I do know that it is Air Tahiti.

Just really wanted to know what has been the experience of CC, using the cruise lines air. We have always done our own booking for air.

Thanks for everyones input, any and all information is greatly received.

Liz

I asked a flight question on 2013 roll call to the South Pacific of people who are flying out of Toronto. Specifically I asked about air deviation to go in a day earlier. The response I received;

“We are flying out of Toronto for this trip, so this info might help you.

After looking into all options, we opted for the deviation fee to customize our air travel. We want to get in to Papeete the night before the cruise to get some rest.

We fly direct from YYZ-LAX on Air Canada. 5 Hour layover before LAX-PPT flight on Air Tahiti arriving at 10:30PM Apr.6.

We got a direct Air Canada LAX-YYZ on the return as well.

Cost: $400 for Air Differential fee

$300 for Air Deviation fee

We had to pay the $300 Deviation fee when we confirmed our flights. The balance was added to the invoice and will be paid at final payment date.”

Hope this helps

BTW, it's Air Tahiti Nui. Air Tahiti is their domestic carrier.

OK, I did know that though, sorry if I misled or confused anyone. I forgot we had FP experts here now. :rolleyes:

Not so much EXPERTS but just people who have been to FP more than once or twice and not always via a cruise ship.

We're here on this thread to help others navigate through the lovely but sometimes complex islands and have a wonderful experience there.

Polynesians are shy and and are learning about the hospitality industry. They love their home islands and want to promote them so a smile and conversation will bring you many returns. ps/hi Wendy!!!!

Quick question--If we arrive by charter late at night (10:30 or 11:00) can we expect cabs at the Papeete airport? After a long day of travel and 14 hours in the air, I'm just trying to find the quickest and most convenient way to the ship. Never having used transfers before, do we need to pick up luggage and take to bus or is that done for us?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies and/or suggestions.

Not so much EXPERTS but just people who have been to FP more than once or twice and not always via a cruise ship.

We're here on this thread to help others navigate through the lovely but sometimes complex islands and have a wonderful experience there.

Polynesians are shy and and are learning about the hospitality industry. They love their home islands and want to promote them so a smile and conversation will bring you many returns. ps/hi Wendy!!!!

Hi to you, Brooke, glad to see you venturing to other parts of the world!

I'm nowhere near an expert either, and much less so that you are, having done very little on land in FP, except for the PG. Sure hope I get back there again!

Quick question--If we arrive by charter late at night (10:30 or 11:00) can we expect cabs at the Papeete airport? After a long day of travel and 14 hours in the air, I'm just trying to find the quickest and most convenient way to the ship. Never having used transfers before, do we need to pick up luggage and take to bus or is that done for us?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies and/or suggestions.

Am confused....are you being transferred by O or are you getting to the ship on your own?

Once you pass through passport control (be prepared to wait awhile in these lines as the processing can take almost an hour sometimes.....and you are in open, non-air conditioned areas throughout the airport....stash those coats before deplane-ing!), you claim your bags, load them onto the free luggage trolleys and pass through customs....usually visitors are not stopped by the agents.

Roll your trolley through the double doors and proceed to the taxi stand outside the airport. There will be taxis. You are arriving at the time most flights routinely arrive. We obtain local currency from the ATMs located in the airport but perhaps the drivers will accept US$$.

Ask for the fare before getting into the cab. Expect to pay about 2000 xpf (not per person) for the ride to the port and about 100-200 xpf per bag. That will come to about US$30 for the ride and 4 bags at 200 xpf per bag.

If you are buying O's transfer package, I assume the O-contracted transfer people would help load your luggage on to the the waiting bus or van.

Archived