Live from the Gem - on Fox News

GORDONCHICK

Fox News is just about to do a live phone call with someone aboard a ship - I think the Gem. I'm sure they will talk about what they've been told and what they know at this point.

Okay, now I don't think it's the Gem - it's the one waiting to dock in NYC that was supposed to yesterday.

That was such a misleading story. The Gem isn't stranded, it could dock at any open port, they're choosing to wait until NY opens. Also, the video they showed was file footage from a different ship in 2010.

For people who need to fly home, they're better off being on the ship since all NYC airports are closed. They would have to pay for a hotel or sleep at the airport until they can get a flight out.

The Gem isn't stranded, it could dock at any open port, they're choosing to wait until NY opens.

True, but use of the word "stranded" is far more attention-getting than "choosing to wait". ;) Its all about ratings, and the best way to get ratings is to over dramatize everything. Ever notice how now everything is "breaking news"?

What the Fox news affiliate should do is to get the stories from the NCL Jewel, scheduled to arrive in Port Carnival, FL this morning to get first hand stories of their high speed run out of NY on Sunday, ahead of Sandy & thru the waves, doing 24 knots at times running close to the coast line - that's the story that we would want to know about.

Good point about carrying extra medications while traveling - the popular recommendation is to bring at least 3 extra days with you - we take 7 days worth just in case plus copies of our "scripts" so that it can be refilled on the go if necessary.

True, but use of the word "stranded" is far more attention-getting than "choosing to wait". ;) Its all about ratings, and the best way to get ratings is to over dramatize everything. Ever notice how now everything is "breaking news"?

:eek: Stranded?? hmmmm, somehow, I don't think I would mind being "stranded" in my suite, with my butler, Fernando, to bring me lunch from Cagneys, and my fabulous steward, Gigi, to clean up my messes...see an extra show, have my dinners cooked for me.

Instead, I sit here in NY area, with a generator running my necessities, and a big mess to clean up :mad:. I think I would prefer "the stranding" :p

~Michele

What the Fox news affiliate should do is to get the stories from the NCL Jewel, scheduled to arrive in Port Carnival, FL this morning to get first hand stories of their high speed run out of NY on Sunday, ahead of Sandy & thru the waves, doing 24 knots at times running close to the coast line - that's the story that we would want to know about.

I'm also interested to see how the Jewel did since leaving NY. I just checked the live webcam on the Jewel and you can see Port Canaveral in the background so they're right on time. It should be smooth sailing for the rest of their trip.

Fox News is just about to do a live phone call with someone aboard a ship - I think the Gem. I'm sure they will talk about what they've been told and what they know at this point.

Okay, now I don't think it's the Gem - it's the one waiting to dock in NYC that was supposed to yesterday.

It was pure sensationalism imho. Ageed, they should be talking to the Jewel's captain, for what a true vacation hero he is! He could teach a thing or two to DCL!

Cherie

I know a couple that were on the "Jewel" and they went through 30 foot waves, rocking and rolling and the gift shop window was smashed and everything came off the shelves~~would not liked to be on that cruise!!!!:mad:

Umm, no we didn't (max 20 ft waves), and the gift shop window is fine... I was there yesterday.

I completely agree. That would be awesome to hear about. Hopefully there will be tons of people coming back to report (with hopefully pictures and video) that are currently on this cruise. :)

I know a couple that were on the "Jewel" and they went through 30 foot waves, rocking and rolling and the gift shop window was smashed and everything came off the shelves~~would not liked to be on that cruise!!!!:mad:

This was the disney ship not NCL.

Glad to hear you made it through the worst part OK, LadyShiva.

*grin* Me, too, che! It was just enough time with fancy waves to be exhilarating without any real danger, but I think I was ready for calm (and reopened hot tubs!) this morning when we pulled into PC.

*grin* Me, too, che! It was just enough time with fancy waves to be exhilarating without any real danger, but I think I was ready for calm (and reopened hot tubs!) this morning when we pulled into PC.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise! Certainly looks calm on the webcam

Now there's the Gem to dock, once ports start to open

Amen. I've about given up on all of the networks (cable and other) with their biases and sensationalism.

I guess "stranded" connotates urgency so people will pay attention. Now, back to the news.........

Archived