Independence ots ????

We usually cruise RCI out of Galveston in Jan., and since there won't be a ship in Galveston in Jan. 2014, we have to look at other options.

Found an 8 night Indy cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale with stops at St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan and Labadee. With the exception of Labadee, these will all be new exciting ports for us. My question is... Can someone who cruised the Indy recently, any itinerary, tell me how they liked the ship? It seems to me this board ALWAYS has Freedom reviews (think Radio), some Liberty but I rarely see any mention of the Indy. :confused:

I know we have over a year to think about it but I thought to ask my cruise critic friends who usually give great advice. I could probably do a search but... well... I'm askin' in here. :rolleyes::p

Thanking you in advance!

We usually cruise RCI out of Galveston in Jan., and since there won't be a ship in Galveston in Jan. 2014, we have to look at other options.

Found an 8 night Indy cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale with stops at St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan and Labadee. With the exception of Labadee, these will all be new exciting ports for us. My question is... Can someone who cruised the Indy recently, any itinerary, tell me how they liked the ship? It seems to me this board ALWAYS has Freedom reviews (think Radio), some Liberty but I rarely see any mention of the Indy. :confused:

I know we have over a year to think about it but I thought to ask my cruise critic friends who usually give great advice. I could probably do a search but... well... I'm askin' in here. :rolleyes::p

Thanking you in advance!

Indy is identical to Freedom and Liberty, so the ship reports should be comparable. The main differences are that Indy does not yet have advance show reservations, or some of the revitalization improvements such as the big screen at the pool. These improvements are scheduled for the first half of 2013.

Also, regarding Galveston, Navigator will be there from late 2013 until April 2014. I believe it's missing January sailings due to it's revitialization dry dock. If January is your only choice, you can also consider Serenade out of New Orleans.

I have cruised Independence and love the ship. I have also done the 8 night itinerary that Indy is doing and like that very much also. In fact, I like both the ship and itinerary so much that I have Independence booked again for this coming March.

Not sure if I'm supposed to say this but

have a look at a UK based cruise reviews site called cruise dot co dot uk

The Indy has been based here for quite a while and is used primarily by Brits. You will find quite a few reviews on her

Thanking you in advance!

We are sailing the first 8 night cruise this December, I will post a review.

Thanks, everyone for your responses. I feel better!

Clarea, New Orleans is just a bit too far for us to drive. And yes, January is the best month for us to cruise. RCI WOULD pick that month to stay out of Galveston. :mad: Seems like RCI can't decide with ship to keep in Galveston. We've already gone thru Rhapsody (our fave), Voyager, Mariner. I would LOVE a Radiance Class ship after Navigator ends her Texas run.

I don't much like the idea of pre booking shows on a cruise. I don't want to be on a schedule when I'm on vacation so if Indy isn't pre-booking that's ok with me.

Glad to hear Indy got good marks from y'all from both sides of the pond.

Smooth sails !!

Cruised an 8-nighter a few winters back, but with a different itinerary; San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Labadee.

We LOVED the Independence - in fact, even though they are entirely different ships, my two RCI faves remain the Independence and the Jewel. Also have been on the Freedom and even though they are both Freedom class ships, we much preferred the Independence. I do wish I could tell you why, but try as I might, I just can't explain it - a feeling, I guess.

If you like large ships, I would be getting very excited at the thought of cruising her.

Cruised an 8-nighter a few winters back, but with a different itinerary; San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Labadee.

We LOVED the Independence - in fact, even though they are entirely different ships, my two RCI faves remain the Independence and the Jewel. Also have been on the Freedom and even though they are both Freedom class ships, we much preferred the Independence. I do wish I could tell you why, but try as I might, I just can't explain it - a feeling, I guess.

If you like large ships, I would be getting very excited at the thought of cruising her.

Largest class ship we ever cruised was Voyager class so we really are looking forward to booking this one. I told my husband it's like Mariner on steroids. Oasis class is just a different ballgame entirely, one I can't even fathom. I would love to cruise on a Radiance class ship. I know I would love all the "sea views". I like to feel I'm on a ship not in a resort with no windows. Call me the only one but that's why I didn't care for the Royal Promanade. I hate the feedy frenzy of all the tshirts, watches, handbags, scarves, etc., etc., thrown on tables. I know it's all about making money but.. really, on a cruise ship? Ok, off my soapbox. I am sure now there will be a bajillion posts slamming me with folks telling me how much they LOVE those "sales". Just my opinion, folks. So it looks good for Indy. Just saw some great pictures from Radio's review at his stop in St. Maarten. I'm psyched!

Again, thanks for all the feedback!

Largest class ship we ever cruised was Voyager class so we really are looking forward to booking this one. I told my husband it's like Mariner on steroids. Oasis class is just a different ballgame entirely, one I can't even fathom. I would love to cruise on a Radiance class ship. I know I would love all the "sea views". I like to feel I'm on a ship not in a resort with no windows. Call me the only one but that's why I didn't care for the Royal Promanade. I hate the feedy frenzy of all the tshirts, watches, handbags, scarves, etc., etc., thrown on tables. I know it's all about making money but.. really, on a cruise ship? Ok, off my soapbox. I am sure now there will be a bajillion posts slamming me with folks telling me how much they LOVE those "sales". Just my opinion, folks. So it looks good for Indy. Just saw some great pictures from Radio's review at his stop in St. Maarten. I'm psyched!

Again, thanks for all the feedback!

Those very same sales take place on Radiance class ships too. Only they ocur in a much smaller and cramped space.

We were just recently on the Freedom for the first time and I absoultely loved it, so its good to know that the Indenendence even though the same class could possibly be better!

Largest class ship we ever cruised was Voyager class so we really are looking forward to booking this one. I told my husband it's like Mariner on steroids...
The design phase name for Freedom class was Ultra-Voyager. Basically the same ship but 92 feet longer. The additional length is between the elevators, making the Promenade, pool deck, etc longer. Having more space to work with they added some additional items such as FlowRider.

Thom

PS I did a b2b on the Indy a few years ago when she was still in FL, and I'll be on the Indy coming across the pond commencing Thanksgiving day [$600pp for 13 nights is hard to pass up].

Have sailed on the Independence four times and will be sailing on her again in June 2013 we love the ship and have also been on the Liberty they are the same class of ship only difference between the Independence and the Liberty was that the Liberty had the cupcake cupboard and the large screen beside the pool and that you had to reserve your entertainement . I much preferred not having to reserve your shows beforehand.

Hope you love Independence as much as we do.

I absolutely love the solarium on the Freedom Class ships. It has been my favorite so far. In the summer the Oasis Class was much like being in a hot house.. The glass partitions blocked out the wind but not the heat. And the pool is way too small for the size ship or size of the Solarium. Freedom Class is quite similar to Voyager only larger with more shaded seating.

I'm doing that 8 Night Indy in Feb 2013 with a group of ladies that I cruised with from Galveston for a number of years. Since one of our group is doing Mariner for Thanksgiving with her family we opted for a trip to Florida to go Eastern Carib. We are now down to double digit days! :D

Bethco, please come back after your cruise and post a review if you can. And have smooth sails and a wonderful cruise.

Does the Solarium on the Indy have a roof that closes in case of inclement weather?

OceanBoy they brought up the "sale" to the Voyager pool deck a few years ago. Had racks of clothing and tables with logo stuff. Just didn't fit in with my laid back, balmy, reclining on a chaise, foofoo drink in hand, relaxing, listening to the water splashing, the Caribbean Band, time.

I'm just about sold on this cruise. Again, many thanks to all.

I still would rather schedule my entertainment around what I'm doing that day, not have to schedule my activities around a pre booked entertainment schedule.

BTW, what exactly do they show on that big pool screen? Is it loud? Intrusive?

I think of how far cruising has come since we were on the Majesty in 1995. Only dining venue for dinner, the MDR. Windjammer was lunch only. What a wonderful time we had.

I'm going off topic. :rolleyes:

Bethco, please come back after your cruise and post a review if you can. And have smooth sails and a wonderful cruise.

Does the Solarium on the Indy have a roof that closes in case of inclement weather?

OceanBoy they brought up the "sale" to the Voyager pool deck a few years ago. Had racks of clothing and tables with logo stuff. Just didn't fit in with my laid back, balmy, reclining on a chaise, foofoo drink in hand, relaxing, listening to the water splashing, the Caribbean Band, time.

I'm just about sold on this cruise. Again, many thanks to all.

I still would rather schedule my entertainment around what I'm doing that day, not have to schedule my activities around a pre booked entertainment schedule.

BTW, what exactly do they show on that big pool screen? Is it loud? Intrusive?

I think of how far cruising has come since we were on the Majesty in 1995. Only dining venue for dinner, the MDR. Windjammer was lunch only. What a wonderful time we had.

I'm going off topic. :rolleyes:

No, the Solarium on Indy does not have a roof.

We are also cruising on the Indy this New Years Eve for 8 nights. Can't wait!

Does anyone know if the Indy has the self serve fountain pop stations like the Freedom? Not the new Freestyle Coke machines that have been installed on the Oasis class ships, just the "old school" fountain stations.

Archived