*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

I was just over there last week. The beaches on the West end were still VERY full of seaweed. When you got down to the San Luis the seaweed had been piled up closer to the seawall. There were many signs along the seawall asking people to "excuse the seaweed as it rebuilds the beach!" So, you will still be able to find some places with no seaweed, or at least where it's been raked up.

Thanks for the insight! We're staying at the San Luis & hoped we could just cross the street to the beach.... Too much stuff to pack up in the car with two little ones .....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

FYI: This may help you decide regarding Seaweed-Galveston Beach.

"Houston Chronicle" newspaper submitted by Harvey Rice 7/18/14,

published pictures of the tons of Seaweed still on Galveston beaches and continuing to come in. His article was titled: "Students Take On

Heavy Task: Weighing Epic Galveston Seaweed".

Thank you.

Anyone know how the seaweed situation is now? Bringing the g-kids down in a couple of weeks for some beach time..... Sure hope it's letting up.....

Here's a picture taken July 12th. You can see the build up along the seawall. It was still pretty high along the Gulf. Occasionally we had to walk through paths to get through it.

IMG_2833.jpg

Anyone know how the seaweed situation is now? Bringing the g-kids down in a couple of weeks for some beach time..... Sure hope it's letting up.....

It won't be letting up anytime soon according to the Park Board.

However, East Beach and Stewart Beach, are raked for visitors.

From the San Antonio Express-News: "More than 8,400 tons of sargassum landed on beaches between 17th street and 61st street, a stretch of about 3.3 miles." "on May 22" "for "a 24 hour period." :eek:

Here's a picture taken July 12th. You can see the build up along the seawall. It was still pretty high along the Gulf. Occasionally we had to walk through paths to get through it.

IMG_2833.jpg

That doesn't look too terrible. Thanks!! Any day at the beach is better than a day at work!

• 3 weeks later...
That doesn't look too terrible. Thanks!! Any day at the beach is better than a day at work!

Just returned last night from Galveston. We stayed at the San Luis.

About 20 feet from the water line back toward the seawall was solid seaweed. We watched it wash ashore all day Friday & again on Sat. The beach was never cleaned of it while we were there.

It was all in the water.... Live seaweed (green & soft) and dead pieces (black & brittle). There were large black mounds of it piled up all along the seawall (taller than me). It didn't smell tho. Never noticed that. We went down for about two hours... The kiddos didn't like it.... So we stayed at the pool.

Just returned last night from Galveston. We stayed at the San Luis.

About 20 feet from the water line back toward the seawall was solid seaweed. We watched it wash ashore all day Friday & again on Sat. The beach was never cleaned of it while we were there.

It was all in the water.... Live seaweed (green & soft) and dead pieces (black & brittle). There were large black mounds of it piled up all along the seawall (taller than me). It didn't smell tho. Never noticed that. We went down for about two hours... The kiddos didn't like it.... So we stayed at the pool.

It's a huge invasion by the seaweed.

I saw a story about how the TAMU-G scientists predicted it quite some time back and how they can track it from offshore right up onto the beach. Sad that it comes and stinks the place up. Not so nice for the tourists coming into town to see the isle and beaches.

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Galveston despite the weed.

It's a huge invasion by the seaweed.

I saw a story about how the TAMU-G scientists predicted it quite some time back and how they can track it from offshore right up onto the beach. Sad that it comes and stinks the place up. Not so nice for the tourists coming into town to see the isle and beaches.

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Galveston despite the weed.

The Chamber, CVB and Nature Tourism Council are all promoting the sargassum as the Eighth Wonder of the World!

Contrary to your thoughts, the island has never been busier than this summer.

Volunteers have been on the beach with buckets to show children all the sea creatures in the sargassum and how it is beneficial to the island and sea life.

It is an ecological feeding system for the sea.

Personally, I wish they would leave it where it lands so we could have fabulous dunes. But, alas, too many whiners:mad:

It isn't the sargassum that smells, but the dead sea life in it. We have had rain almost every morning before day break which washes it.

This year it has affected the entire Gulf Coast as well as some islands in the Caribbean.

Tamu-G is bailing it (so it doesn't break down so quickly) on East End to build up dunes on the island.

The Chamber, CVB and Nature Tourism Council are all promoting the sargassum as the Eighth Wonder of the World!

Contrary to your thoughts, the island has never been busier than this summer.

Volunteers have been on the beach with buckets to show children all the sea creatures in the sargassum and how it is beneficial to the island and sea life.

It is an ecological feeding system for the sea.

Personally, I wish they would leave it where it lands so we could have fabulous dunes. But, alas, too many whiners:mad:

It isn't the sargassum that smells, but the dead sea life in it. We have had rain almost every morning before day break which washes it.

This year it has affected the entire Gulf Coast as well as some islands in the Caribbean.

Tamu-G is bailing it (so it doesn't break down so quickly) on East End to build up dunes on the island.

Yes. I know all of what you said. I've been reading up on it since we made our plans to go in the spring.

However, the latest I've read on it is that now Glaveston is second guessing itself as they are finding the sargassum is turning into mud, not sand dunes as they thought.

No matter, it is what it is. The island *was* crazy crowded... The beaches, not so. There is plenty to do without stepping foot near the beach.

Hopefully next year it won't be so bad, so that all the tourists that come to enjoy the beach, can.....

:-)

Yes. I know all of what you said. I've been reading up on it since we made our plans to go in the spring.

However, the latest I've read on it is that now Glaveston is second guessing itself as they are finding the sargassum is turning into mud, not sand dunes as they thought. :-)

TAMU found out the can't bale the dried out sargassum, but the fresh, still wet, just washed up on the beach. The old, dried out does turn to mush.

TAMU found out the can't bale the dried out sargassum, but the fresh, still wet, just washed up on the beach. The old, dried out does turn to mush.

Round or Square bales? Has to be interesting seeing them bale it.

Knew it was still busy down there...just know lots of folks complaining about the stink...but then again how many people brag about their good time...it's always the complainers that seem to get the most air time...

On a different thought did you catch the diaper story on khou website yesterday? The complainer was put in place by all of the commenting folks who said the complainer was wrong...

While I understand the complains about the weed on the beach...I also understand how it helps the sea life and the beach in the long run...even the turtles...so I don't worry about it being there. I am more of a boating person than a beach person anyhow.

Square bales - GCDN had a photo of Aggie volunteers feeding the baler. Using twine so it will biodegrade.

You're right about the complainers:rolleyes:

Missed the diaper story (or maybe I didn't miss anything!)

Don't drive Seawall Blvd. at all in the summer, but going back streets have always seen the seawall full of cars and lots of people on the beach.

Business has been booming this year and have had no complaints about the beaches.

Have become a corporate sponsor for the Galveston Island Nature Council (GINTC0 who promotes Featherfest in the Spring and work with the Park Board on some other projects for the City. They are the ones really working on the island promotion.

FYI: A little tidbit - the 4 major councils/boards in Galveston are headed by women:D Chamber of Commerce, Park Board, Convention and Visitors Bureau and GINTC

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

A local station in DFW area has a bunch of Texas related shows on Sunday afternoon/evening. Yesterday they had a segment on Elissa's first sail day after the expensive hull repair. It was well done, in one sequence the cameraman must have been right out at the end of one of the highest yards! It even had Carnival Triumph arriving in the background.

Found it:

Edited by pspercy

FYI: A little tidbit - the 4 major councils/boards in Galveston are headed by women:D Chamber of Commerce, Park Board, Convention and Visitors Bureau and GINTC

That is so cool -- I love it!! :D I want to be one of those women serving the CVB one day.

And love hearing about the folks at TAMUG always taking care of the beaches... I move my very eager son into TAMUG next Thursday. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm live from Galveston! :) I must say, I'm very glad the seaweed problem is not as bad now as it was back in May. Seaweed is not washing ashore in giant clusters that cover the surface of the water like it did back in May, and it appears the seawall east of 61st has been cleaned recently.

Mary, if sand dunes were to build up between the water and seawall, where would people go to the beach? There was no sand between the giant mound of seaweed and one foot of seaweed-covered water when I was there last time.

On a different note, I plan on being at Pier 21 tomorrow for Triumph's departure.

I'm live from Galveston! :) I must say, I'm very glad the seaweed problem is not as bad now as it was back in May. Seaweed is not washing ashore in giant clusters that cover the surface of the water like it did back in May, and it appears the seawall east of 61st has been cleaned recently.

Mary, if sand dunes were to build up between the water and seawall, where would people go to the beach? There was no sand between the giant mound of seaweed and one foot of seaweed-covered water when I was there last time.

On a different note, I plan on being at Pier 21 tomorrow for Triumph's departure.

Not at the seawall but East end and West end. Seawall is approximately 10 miles long, but the beach front is 32 miles long. Lots of room to build up dunes:D

Maybe we will make it down to the pier tomorrow. Will know more tomorrow how the day goes.

It had gone quiet for awhile!

We finally get back downt here the weekend of Sept 28th....Gotta get a cruise fix on Navigator. But will be sure to depost funds at various locations on the island on Saturday and Sunday prior to boarding....

Will be in Galveston this weekend boarding Navigator. Can someone recommend a good place for seafood?

Thanks!

Saltwater Grill on Post Office.

Rudy & Paco's on Post Office (reservations a must)

Shrimp n'Stuff on Ave O and 39th

Olympia at Pier 21 - 21st & Harborside

Gaido's is still good, but expect a long wait on weekends unless you go very early (2-3 hour wait!)

Saltwater Grill on Post Office.

Rudy & Paco's on Post Office (reservations a must)

Shrimp n'Stuff on Ave O and 39th

Olympia at Pier 21 - 21st & Harborside

Gaido's is still good, but expect a long wait on weekends unless you go very early (2-3 hour wait!)

Thanks Galveston Cruiser, may consider Gaido's Sunday for dinner after the cruise, will look into the others for Saturday night.

I met Galveston Cruiser (Mary) and SSB (Lee) at Pier 21 yesterday. Very nice people! :) Here are a couple of pics they took of me:

Me.jpg

me_%282%29.jpg

Yes, I cropped the pictures. I figured giving the thumbs up looks awkward when I'm standing at a slight angle to the camera. I look a lot less awkward in these pictures than when I met Rancher Dave a few years ago, though looking at my messed up hair in the first pic is bothering me. I guess it wasn't long enough for my pony tail.

I have no idea why my photo host made the annoying watermark is so huge in the second picture. I will see if I can post a picture of the three of us later...