*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

Big decisions to make!

The house over by the school and Med Center is nice inside but the front lacks character. May be able to fix that.

A condo closer to med center with one in Galveston and. House at ranch would be ideal but would likely be a year out goal since house at ranch would be build new while the condo and place in Galveston could happen in a couple of months.

Thanks! I think her work will be on Stonehollow Road. Yes, she is a single young lady and is looking forward to warmth instead if all the snow we have had this year. We will check out the areas you have mentioned.

If she's working on Stonehollow in North Austin, Some real nice places to live just south of there near the Domain (very cool outdoor shopping/mixed use area - high end, but expensive, but cool if you're young hip and single - I'm not). Or the Great Hills area has some nice apartments. Sadly, everyone is right, Austin is skyrocketing right now and prices are getting ridiculous (which would benefit me IF I sold - which I'm not, but hurts b/c taxes go up). I don't recommend she live off Metric area.... The great thing is if she wants to go downtown on weekends, it's really an easy trip in (10 minutes) from that area!

Royal has a long standing contract with a Miami based beverage distributor. When they are in port, or within 12 miles of the Coast, they serve alcohol purchased in Texas, which is liable for taxation. The other end of the cruise, Texas only taxes residents for duty free purchases.

So, on sailing day, the stuff you drink is Texas based and purchased, so the sales tax gets added. Not that big a deal, except the selection is limited

I am very used to the "selection is limited" statement, my wife syas that a lot when asked why we got married.

About the taxing the residents for duty free? What percent do they charge? Is it worth it to buy duty free and then get taxed? We always buy rum and other things but if the tax is too much,it's not worth the trouble, just asking for info and opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About the taxing the residents for duty free? What percent do they charge? Is it worth it to buy duty free and then get taxed? We always buy rum and other things but if the tax is too much,it's not worth the trouble, just asking for info and opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Background:

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/home/press_releases/2013/20131220.asp

Rates:

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/tax_rates.asp

Not much - unless you're bringing back lots of miniatures !

I believe it applies to everyone, not just state residents.

Can someone explain the liquor restrictions while in Texas waters?

I've only taken 1 cruise out of Galveston but didn't remember any restrictions on what was offered.

All I know is that when the ship is in Texas waters, they can only serve alcohol with a Texas sticker on it. My guess is that this costs the company more than their other alcohol, so they have a limited amount and selection. We had a delay once leaving Galveston and they ran out of the Texas stamped alcohol, so had to stop serving drinks until the ship was outside Taxas waters.

All I know is that when the ship is in Texas waters, they can only serve alcohol with a Texas sticker on it. My guess is that this costs the company more than their other alcohol, so they have a limited amount and selection. We had a delay once leaving Galveston and they ran out of the Texas stamped alcohol, so had to stop serving drinks until the ship was outside Taxas waters.

Thanks, I guess this means I'll have to pack an emergency bottle of wine in my carry on. :D

Only Texas residents are to be taxed.

Yes... Only Texas residents. And it's such a tiny amount at that.... Ours was like $3.00.... And would have been soooooo easy to just walk out without paying it.... the set up is rather loose... It keeps the "honest" people in line.... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes... Only Texas residents. And it's such a tiny amount at that.... Ours was like $3.00.... And would have been soooooo easy to just walk out without paying it.... the set up is rather loose... It keeps the "honest" people in line.... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yeah. Honesty pays...

Only Texas residents are to be taxed.

I sailed Carnival Triumph from Galveston 2 weeks ago and received a letter in the cabin that included this info:

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has informed us that previously exempt passengers, those disembarking from cruise ships entering Texas will no longer be considered "in transit" to another state or country but rather will be considered "importing" or bringing alcohol and cigarettes into the state. This means the importation tax imposed in January will apply to anyone that enters the state of Texas via the cruise terminal regardless of their residency or the amount of time spent within the state effective April 1, 2014.

So I believe this means the tax will now apply to everyone.

If she's working on Stonehollow in North Austin, Some real nice places to live just south of there near the Domain (very cool outdoor shopping/mixed use area - high end, but expensive, but cool if you're young hip and single - I'm not). Or the Great Hills area has some nice apartments. Sadly, everyone is right, Austin is skyrocketing right now and prices are getting ridiculous (which would benefit me IF I sold - which I'm not, but hurts b/c taxes go up). I don't recommend she live off Metric area.... The great thing is if she wants to go downtown on weekends, it's really an easy trip in (10 minutes) from that area!

Thanks for your suggestions! She is hip and single!!!so she would probably love the areas you mentioned. We will look there! Now I can cruise in and out or to Galveston!!! Just another port to use!!

Just back from the Silhouette TA crossing. It has been a real struggle to make this cruise but we did make it in spite of it all.

1) Husband broke hip in October, had to cancel due to not having pre-existing insurance coverage and possibility of complete hip replacement in the future.

2) Husband cleared of hip replacement in near future, rebooked cruise.

3) Discovered quite by accident but, thank goodness I did, passports missing on Monday before embarkation Sunday. Got replacements quickly (there is an advantage living in Houston). Passport office has to be the most efficient Government agency in the system. In and out in 1 hour, passports ready in four hours. Suspect passports got left in a travel handbag that was given to Goodwill last summer. Usually don't even retrieve passports from safe until night before we leave for embarkation.

4) Weather not the best during the crossing but was great in ports and that is what counts.

5) Got pneumonia the last week which seriously curtailed activities--like drinking and eating a lot. Medical facilities on the ship were top rate.

Reminded me of the quote: "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Still a great cruise overall and have no regrets. I would even rank it among one of the better cruises (if you don't count the pneumonia (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Has anybody booked Liberty yet? With the BOGOHO sale, prices are very reasonable. I love the repositioning, but I don't think that will work with our schedule, so I'm looking at either the week after Thanksgiving (November 29) or the first cruise in December in 2015.

Has anybody booked Liberty yet? With the BOGOHO sale, prices are very reasonable. I love the repositioning, but I don't think that will work with our schedule, so I'm looking at either the week after Thanksgiving (November 29) or the first cruise in December in 2015.

Hi Cindy:

We booked the Liberty repositioning cruise from New Jersey to Galveston 11/1/15. Booked the day it came out, called yesterday and got $1,100 off our balcony rate with the BOGHO special.

Mary

I'm actually looking at the December 6th cruise or possibly the 9-day on November 13th. I'm undecided and I know I need to make up my mind and book while the prices are reasonable (and before this sale is over!) :D

Thanks for your suggestions! She is hip and single!!!so she would probably love the areas you mentioned. We will look there! Now I can cruise in and out or to Galveston!!! Just another port to use!!

We live in Austin too but live in South West and those are all great recommendations. We aren't young or hip anymore (mid to late 30's) but if she needs any recommendations feel free to ask. Also the Arboretum is nice too if you are looking for areas. Generally if I was young and hip I would want to be as close to Downtown as possible. If you are working up north it isn't too bad to get up there because you are going reverse of the flow of traffic. Also there are some great older neighborhoods south of 183 that could get her closer to Downtown.

If she exercises there are great trails etc... near downtown too she could use. I work Downtown and love being able to bike or jog around the river on my lunch break.

We love it here in Austin.

Edited by ummgood

Hi Cindy:

We booked the Liberty repositioning cruise from New Jersey to Galveston 11/1/15. Booked the day it came out, called yesterday and got $1,100 off our balcony rate with the BOGHO special.

Mary

I would have loved to do the repositioning, but the timing isn't good for us.:(

I'm actually looking at the December 6th cruise or possibly the 9-day on November 13th. I'm undecided and I know I need to make up my mind and book while the prices are reasonable (and before this sale is over!) :D

I just got off the phone with Crown and Anchor. I took a former Open Booking that was attached to a future date just so we didn't lose it, and booked the December 6th cruise at the BOGOHO rate. With our Diamond discount, our rate for a GS was under $1,500/person before port fees and taxes. Considering what they had posted when the ship was first announced, I feel pretty good about that!:D

I just got off the phone with Crown and Anchor. I took a former Open Booking that was attached to a future date just so we didn't lose it, and booked the December 6th cruise at the BOGOHO rate. With our Diamond discount, our rate for a GS was under $1,500/person before port fees and taxes. Considering what they had posted when the ship was first announced, I feel pretty good about that!:D

I think that's a very good deal! :D

You must also be a whiz at coupons and credit card points ;):D Good Job :D

You must also be a whiz at coupons and credit card points ;):D Good Job :D

You'd never know it by looking at what I spend at the grocery store!:rolleyes: I do seem to be doing OK with cruise related things, though. My Oasis cruise has gone up $1,378 PER PERSON since we booked!:eek:

Hi Cindy:

Mary

My DH and I booked the Liberty repositioning cruise 11/1/15 while we were on the NOTS this week. We are b2b, staying on for the next 9 days also.