What would be a great souvenier from St. Maarten

wakar13

I always bring back a watercolor painting from each location. My home office is also my "vacation room" and I have all the different watercolors displayed. The last time we spent some time in Margot and I purchased a beautiful hand painted tile at the market. Jan

Try the Guavaberry Rum. There is a store on Front Street where you can get a free sample and buy a bottle to take back with you as a souvenier.

Definitely try the stuff, many don't care for it.

They do have free samples of many of the Guavaberry products there, but they also have the very highest prices on the island.

I would suggest wandering down Frontstreet towards the Courthouse a bit and stopping into Ocean Jewelers or their associated Friendly liquor store for much cheaper prices.

Even the shops back at the Cruise Facility are likely to have lower prices.

gary

• 3 weeks later...
Rum, local art or handicraft - what would you experienced cruisers recommend?

Thanks!

Walker

I always make a stop at Nick Maley's Art Studio on Front Street. I think it called "Paradise"? He has great Island prints. I've purchased a few of them. I even had one signed by him the last time I was there.

Try the Guavaberry Rum. There is a store on Front Street where you can get a free sample and buy a bottle to take back with you as a souvenier.

Free samples of guavaberry colada - yum!

And you can get hand-painted bottles there too.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. You can get the guavaberry liqueur for $15 if you pay cash in some of the stores on Back Street.

I bought garnet earrings at the market. They are known for their garnets.

There are also many people selling paintings large and small.

We can highly recommend a visit to the "Spice Shack" in St. Maartin a very small and friendly locally owned business in the shopping kiosk type stand area as you approach the taxi stands when you exit your ship.

They have free samples of awesome local Jams and Honey (Guavaberry, Passionfruit, Tamarind, Pineapple...) They were ~$6.00 in a decorative bottle or ~$8.00 in a hand painted bottle.

They also have lots of local made Hot Sauces to sample/purchase (Papaya, Gauvaberry, Garlic, Jerk...)

Of course spices; Cinnamon, Vanilla, Tamarind, Curry, Saffron, Island Jerk, Annise, Cardamon, Basil, Thyme, Mixed Herbs...

Even some Hand Painted Christmas Ornaments that were $12 about less than 1/2 the price of other "commercial" stores.

I don't remember all the exact prices but they were all very reasonable.

I was referred by another cruise member and I am sooo glad I found this little gem and stopped by. I ended up buying nearly all of the above! :D The Mom and son who run this little shop are so friendly I ended up getting my photo with them and if I knew how to post it here I would!

Archived