Brooklyn cruise terminal closed until next year?

old fool

After Sandy the Brooklyn cruise terminal had extensive damage to the infrasturcture. 5 feet of water in the parking lot will do that kind of thing. The information I have from the Port Authority is that it will probably not reopen unitl year end. Today Cunard made the decision to dock in Manhattan at least for now. This is unofficial and can change but as of right now this is the best information available. I understand that Cunard will be emailing those affected by this change.

After Sandy the Brooklyn cruise terminal had extensive damage to the infrasturcture. 5 feet of water in the parking lot will do that kind of thing. The information I have from the Port Authority is that it will probably not reopen unitl year end. Today Cunard made the decision to dock in Manhattan at least for now. This is unofficial and can change but as of right now this is the best information available. I understand that Cunard will be emailing those affected by this change.

NYCruise have stated that Red Hook will remain closed until December 22nd 2012. This has been reported and extensively discussed on various threads on this board already.

Just called Cunard and presently Redhook should be the terminal for the Dec 22 cruise. If it changes they will let us know.

Very friendly service and answered all my other questions with ease.

I don't know why some people have been so critical regarding the provision of information from Cunard!

But will still hold off on booking the car until closer to the time.

Just called Cunard and presently Redhook should be the terminal for the Dec 22 cruise. If it changes they will let us know.

I don't know why some people have been so critical regarding the provision of information from Cunard!

I can't agree more.

There appears to be numerous people that will travel on Cunard but love nothing better to have a whinge and moan about everything before, during and after a voyage.

Possibly they are looking for a future on-board credit????

I can't agree with you more, I often think that some passengers on Cunard like nothing more than to whinge and moan about Cunard at every and any opportunity; before, during and after a voyage.

I am convinced they are looking for an on-board credit of a future cruise when once again they will be moaning about the level of service from everything from luggage tags down to the thickness of the toilet paper.

Relax everyone, it is meant to be a holiday - enjoy yourself.

To be clear - Cunard have not informed any of us travelling on the Nov 20 or 27 sailings that the terminal has been changed from Brooklyn to Manhattan - we've found out from Cruise Critic, Facebook or direct inquiry to NY Cruise Terminal. From Cunard - not a word.

There are ~ 5,000 passengers affected by this of which maybe 100 read cruise critic - that's a lot of people in for a surprise with under a week/fortnight to the sailing.

To be clear - Cunard have not informed any of us travelling on the Nov 20 or 27 sailings that the terminal has been changed from Brooklyn to Manhattan - we've found out from Cruise Critic, Facebook or direct inquiry to NY Cruise Terminal. From Cunard - not a word.

There are ~ 5,000 passengers affected by this of which maybe 100 read cruise critic - that's a lot of people in for a surprise with under a week/fortnight to the sailing.

I asked about changes. The person I spoke to explained that people who book through TAs get their news via them. So any changes will be emailed to my TA who must then pass on the information to me.

That's fair.

As for direct contacts, I assume they are hoping that Redhook can be opened in time. It makes sense given how much hassle Manhattan seems to be for docking QM2!

Understandably, this will upset some. I would be too at a last minute change.

From my experience, they were helpful when I asked questions. I didn't get the vagueness some people seem to go on about.

I asked about changes. The person I spoke to explained that people who book through TAs get their news via them. So any changes will be emailed to my TA who must then pass on the information to me.

That's fair.

As for direct contacts, I assume they are hoping that Redhook can be opened in time. It makes sense given how much hassle Manhattan seems to be for docking QM2!

Understandably, this will upset some. I would be too at a last minute change.

From my experience, they were helpful when I asked questions. I didn't get the vagueness some people seem to go on about.

Yes they are very helpful but sadly they are often wrong. On Monday they announced that QM2 would still be docking at Red Hook on 27th November, I had been told by NYCruise who run it that it would remain shut until December 22nd. Cunard have yet to change their announcement which is fairly poor, I think!

Yes they are very helpful but sadly they are often wrong. On Monday they announced that QM2 would still be docking at Red Hook on 27th November, I had been told by NYCruise who run it that it would remain shut until December 22nd. Cunard have yet to change their announcement which is fairly poor, I think!

I agree with you.

The updates could be easily posted on the main website or on their Facebook/Blog pages.

Lost opportunities for improving communication.

I agree with you.

The updates could be easily posted on the main website or on their Facebook/Blog pages.

Lost opportunities for improving communication.

Social Media has totally changed the way we get and share information today. Many companies like to promote the fact they are 'current' with Social Media, but the reality is they are still struggling to keep up with it. These travel forums are further proof they've still got aways to go. However the reality for MANY cruise line executives, is it that a sigifinicant portion of their clients do not belong to FB, Twitter, or CC and it does cost them some overhead to keep up Social Media.

I want to be clear that I really like Cunard and I AM NOT out to get future credits or discounts from Cunard, but as previous posters have said, years of expereince have proven they have issues with communications, it's just not one of their strenghts thats all.

I'm sailing on QM2 November 27th presumably from Manhattan (which I am very happy about). Strangely enough not a word from Cunard. Maybe they know something we don't, or they are just very slow with the communication.

Ernie

My travel agent confirmed by email today at 11am EST that the QM2 will be docking in Manhattan on Nov 27th 2012

He got this information from Cunard. I requested this information from him on Saturday, not sure if he would have know to even ask otherwise.

I think with this info and the nycruise.com news on Monday i am now convinced.:D

Cunard are very slow at communicating though. we had a similar experience for QV docking in NY in March, 2 different answers circulating.....very confusing, i ended up informing my TA who insisted he was right, but cruise critic was right:D

Just to mention that many of us who were in the path of Hurricane Sandy are closely watching reports of another possible nor'easter next week.

"There are growing indications that a coastal low will develop early next week somewhere off the southeast or mid-Atlantic coastline and slowly move north-northeastward into the middle of the week. The exact track, as well as exact impacts along the coast, remain uncertain at this time..Thanksgiving travel is sure to be impacted by this potential coastal storm into next week with the possibility for travel delays on roadways and at the airports. copied from http://www.examiner.com/article/another-coastal-storm-potential-for-thanksgiving-week-could-hinder-travel

Obviously, I have no idea if this would affect ocean voyages in any way, but I thought it might be worth a heads-up. Best of luck to all concerned. Regards, -S.

We called Cunard today and they confirmed we would be leaving from Manhattan on our Nov. 27 crossing. Within the hour both someone from Cunard and our travel agent called to let us know that we would be leaving out of Manhattan. So, I guess Manhattan it is. Changed hotels to Manhattan. I love the big apple.

We called Cunard today and they confirmed we would be leaving from Manhattan on our Nov. 27 crossing. Within the hour both someone from Cunard and our travel agent called to let us know that we would be leaving out of Manhattan. So, I guess Manhattan it is. Changed hotels to Manhattan. I love the big apple.

Enjoy the trip down the Hudson, it's a very scenic way of leaving a port. The lights from all of the tall buildings are very nice to see. Million dollar views!

Archived