Bit of a blog - Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012

Linda, great job w week one and looking forward to week two...this is the itinerary we are sailing in two weeks! Thanks again for the all the wonderful info.

By any chance, do you plan to post the compasses at some point? If not, could you check the day one compass and see if it lists what time the Champagne Bar is open on embarkation day? We really enjoyed hanging with Gia at the Champagne Bar on our engagement cruise and hope to see her in two weeks on our honeymoon cruise :D

Thanks, and bon voyage!

bobj

Am currently in deck 2 Conference Centre where it is quiet for blogging. Will be scanning the Compasses on my return but will post the answer next time

Linda I have a quick question. I am on the dec 2nd cruise on the adventure and American Airlines has changed my return flight time to 11:45am on the ninth. I'm worried that I won't be able to make it to the airport in time. Would you be able to let us know what time they started disembarkation today?

Apparently the 2 gentlemen are not only on board for 8 months but they also have a huge suite for the whole time

Thanks for the info Patty. If they are the same two gentlemen that sailed last year and got on in spain and stayed on until the adventure returned to spain those guys had inside cabin and staff provided them with another cabin for their steamer trunks they brought onboard which the staff said were many. DeDe said the international ambassador helped them each evening come down the stairs to dinner fashionably late for dinner as ours started at 830. They would arrive about 9 carrying their little rainbow box that had a battery operated candle in it for their two top table.. Salads would be sitting there already and their beverage.

Linda I have a quick question. I am on the dec 2nd cruise on the adventure and American Airlines has changed my return flight time to 11:45am on the ninth. I'm worried that I won't be able to make it to the airport in time. Would you be able to let us know what time they started disembarkation today?

As each passage is different due to port employees if you are worried about your flight choose to do walk off with your own luggage...piece of cake and easy to do if you are able.

we can't wait to board in february

I think someone has posted a good response..... this is San Juan and timings are subject to many factors.... self disembark is the way forward so as siin as it is cleared you walk yourself off and grab a cab.

Good morning

The Bureau of Misinformation wishes to sincerely apologise on behalf of the author of these ramblings for misguiding you with regards to breakfast eggs. You can indeed get eggs made to order in WJ. When I went in to WJ to find out about Soya milk I found Patty who had a plate of ‘easy over’ in her hands obtained from the omelette station. I regret previously misleading my readers and in an effort to redeem myself I will do my very best to enjoy the day. Thank you for your understanding and patience whilst I resolved this appalling lapse in providing eggsellent and accurate information. My brain is even more scrambled than before. Please feel free to contribute any yolks with regards to this infringement of common sense.

Soya Milk : you can request this in both the WJ and MDR where it will be provided in a glass apparently. There is no Soya yogurt. Have you emailed special needs to advise them you are coming? I’m sure someone here will pop the email address on here for you. Chef Marco will be happy to accommodate your needs.

Gluten Free : I am informed this morning that I can have French Toast prepared for me in MDR in the future yayyyy!! This information was not imparted to me last week when I asked what else did they have? It is so nice to sit in the MDR for breakfast….this morning it was almost empty at 8am whereas WJ was busy busy busy.

The Champagne Bar opens around 3pm on embarkation day as do most bars according to the Compass. The Pool Bar was open earlier yesterday.

Calypso and reggae music is heard often around the ship. The bands are awesome. ‘Umoja 4’ were playing poolside yesterday afternoon; ‘Salsa Magic’ play in the Blue Moon. ‘Rosario Strings’ are simply incredible and play during dinner and at other times. ‘Metrotone’ play dance music. I hope I’ve not forgotten anyone…. You’ve heard about ‘Gustavo’ already!

I am in Scott and Patty's hands today.....

Catch y'all later

Later.

Currently in Blue Moon / Viking ..... tune playing 'Don't worry.... be happy.....' :D

Just back from St Thomas and lunch in WJ.

We are docked right on the pier as you will see from the pics. There is a free shuttle to the local shops where there are taxis available to take you in to town or you can hang out in the local area and shop here….. Go in to town which is what we did. $4. Where you are dropped off there is a market; much the same as every other island we have been to except this also has what I call ‘nearly’ bags…. ‘Nearly’ Gucci, ‘nearly’ YSL, ‘nearly’ Guess…. You get my drift. Be aware that there are people along the sidwewalk who will want to direct you into their stores…. They are quite ‘forward’ though not as aggressive as I have experienced on Labadee or Cartagena.

There are also people selling their tours and we are persuaded to reserve seats with Raymond for $25pp leaving a couple of hours later which is fine with us. Scott wants to revisit his favourite bar which is in Palm Passage. This is a very tranquil area, well shaded, with an excellent bar tender (Rick) with an extremely well stocked bar. I get a taster of a ‘Bushwhacker’ and decide to have a Virgin Colada. 1030 is not a time when I can take alcohol!! We are joined by Paul & Erica (from our Navigator cruise last year). I go window shopping and am grateful that I have come only with cash and left my credit cards behind. There is a wonderful shop selling hand painted garments….. very delicate designs in vibrant and pastel colours. The artist is a young man who is working on an item whilst I am in there….. stunning. Unfortunately they don’t have a web presence. Another shop has local crafted garments but the main attraction for me is the underwater photography; the shopkeeper explains that the photographer is his wife. There are wonderful canvas prints of fish, jellyfish and turtles. I have to give them a plug as I have never seen such wonderful work before. I expect to order something on my return home… they have a UK printer who will print and then despatch to me. http://www.underwaterphotos.com ETA : just visited that site.... will let you know if I decide to go ahead.... not very impressed with the front page but will need time to look into it further.....

We meet up with Raymond for our tour in an open yet covered bus…. If that’s the correct expression for it. He is a fireman too and his bus is easy to locate as it is personalised. There are others joining us. We are quite comfortably seated and head off around the island. We stop a few times for photographs and Raymond narrates eloquently the history and interesting facts about the island. He says he is taking us to places other tours don’t go to…… there is only one stop where there are no other tours but that doesn’t detract from our enjoyment of his efforts. At one of the stops we are treated to Banana Daiquiri tasters; I have no idea how many people actually purchased any but mine was delicious. I succumbed and spent the last of my cash on a pair of ear rings which I had to barter down (20%) as that was all I had with me. St Thomas is a shopper’s paradise! Raymond dropped us off back at the ship. Others on the tour had been dropped off at a very pretty beach for a couple of hours.

There doesn’t appear to be a need to pre-book if you want a basic tour with the usual stops that have vendors around. You could very easily play it by ear on the day if you want. Being a US territory it is clean and safe. The views are spectacular and the tour at around 2 hours is quite long enough for an overview.

It’s formal night tonight and I’m not sure whether I want to dress up. I think I will check the menu first before I make up my mind. I think Paul & Erica want to dine one night in Portofino. Patty and Scott may join them. I have declined but have said that I would join them for dessert if I have warning to warn the chef!! I am owed one from last week….

Message on my room phone…. I am being comped 30 minutes Internet :D Thank you Guest Services!!!

Archived