Oasis over christmas and have some questions

benalexe

Hi Everyone,

Going on oasis over Christmas. We are a family of 5. 3 boys ages 14, 10 & 8. Ugg.. we are all sharing a room. Just curious how bad do you think it will be to cram 5 of us in a room. It is a normal stateroom with an outside view. What are the sleeping arrangements. Where does our luggage go?

In terms of attire- Do we need to have pants for dinner?

Lastly I heard about these wow phones do they still have them? Last I read there were only about 800 on board. I would want one for each of my kids. Anyway to reserve them.

If not I was thinking of walkie talkies. Any brand or type you recommended.

5 of you in a standard cabin are going to be very tight...you are going to have to take shifts to get ready. As for sleeping arrangements you are going to have 2 twin beds that can convert to a single king...as well as a pullout sofa that sleeps 2 and a Pullman bed that drops down from the ceiling that sleeps 1.

Yes...long pants for dinner.

Luggage can go under the bed or in the closet. Long pants are required for dinner in the Main Dining Room. You can have dinner in the Windjammer Cafe in shorts, I think. I've never had dinner in the Windjammer before, but I think dress is casual at night.

As you thought, 5 in 1 room will be tight like bajathree said. But make the most of it, it's Christmas and you're on a cruise. Enjoy!

Hi Everyone,

Going on oasis over Christmas. We are a family of 5. 3 boys ages 14, 10 & 8. Ugg.. we are all sharing a room. Just curious how bad do you think it will be to cram 5 of us in a room. It is a normal stateroom with an outside view. What are the sleeping arrangements. Where does our luggage go?

Lastly I heard about these wow phones do they still have them? Last I read there were only about 800 on board. I would want one for each of my kids. Anyway to reserve them.

Oh my!! 5 in a room without a balcony is going to be VERY tight. Can you at least bump up to a balcony? We had one on Deck 11 of the Oasis 2 weeks ago and it just makes the room feel so much more spacious. It will be worth the extra $$ because you will enjoy the trip so much more. The luggage goes under the beds but that will be tough with 5 suitcases. Pack light.

We saw all types eating in the main dining room for dinner. We dressed up every night (especially formal) but many did not. I'm sure your boys will be wanting to do their own thing. The teen club and the wipe out cafe near the sports deck looked very popular. The windsurfer and the zipline will be a blast for them. Make sure you go to the 70s parade (starts late but super fun). All the parades are fun and the dance classes on the Promenade. The Flashmob on Friday is really good. We participated and had a blast.

The iPhones on board are great!! Go to the ship early (11:00) to board and head directly to Guest Services on the Promenade (where you enter). The iPhones are only $30 for the week and it's free texting between phones all week. Very good deal. We didn't use them because we were a group of girlfriends, but if I had my kids I would be the first in line for that deal.,

Have a great time. The Oasis is a fantastic ship and the service was excellent!

Lisa

I have heard some people report back that they asked their cabin attendant if they could store their luggage for them with some success...so you may want to ask as the last thing you need is space for 5 peoples luggage taken out of the cabin....a few may fit under the beds but I doubt for all 5.

Hi Everyone,

you will be cramped.. possibly uncomfortably so. scope out other places for say one parent and the oldest to shower/get changed.. like the Gym. depending on configuration you will have 1-2 bunks that pull out from the wall above the main bed and sleeper sofa. luckily all three kids are old enough that safety is less of an issue in the Pullman beds( and there may be a fight as to who gets them heheh) unless you got a bunk bed cabin.

Luggage will either get stuffed under the bed or in the closet. hopefully you have nesting or collapsible pieces as storage space is likely to be limited.

Shorts are frowned upon at dinner in the MDR. Buffet is fine. you would most likely not be turned away except on formal night but could be self conscious/feel out of place in shorts the rest of the time.

DO NOT bring walkie talkies. they do not work and are a huge annoyance to your fellow cruisers. it us very easy to make other arrangements to keep in touch.. post it notes, a small dry erase board, messages on the cabin phone. set expectations and guidelines clearly up front as to what you will and will not allow them to do on their own.

Oh my!! 5 in a room without a balcony is going to be VERY tight. Can you at least bump up to a balcony? We had one on Deck 11 of the Oasis 2 weeks ago and it just makes the room feel so much more spacious. It will be worth the extra $$ because you will enjoy the trip so much more. The luggage goes under the beds but that will be tough with 5 suitcases. Pack light.

We saw all types eating in the main dining room for dinner. We dressed up every night (especially formal) but many did not. I'm sure your boys will be wanting to do their own thing. The teen club and the wipe out cafe near the sports deck looked very popular. The windsurfer and the zipline will be a blast for them. Make sure you go to the 70s parade (starts late but super fun). All the parades are fun and the dance classes on the Promenade. The Flashmob on Friday is really good. We participated and had a blast.

The iPhones on board are great!! Go to the ship early (11:00) to board and head directly to Guest Services on the Promenade (where you enter). The iPhones are only $30 for the week and it's free texting between phones all week. Very good deal. We didn't use them because we were a group of girlfriends, but if I had my kids I would be the first in line for that deal.,

Lisa

Actually I think we have the Balcony!

you will be cramped.. possibly uncomfortably so. scope out other places for say one parent and the oldest to shower/get changed.. like the Gym. depending on configuration you will have 1-2 bunks that pull out from the wall above the main bed and sleeper sofa. luckily all three kids are old enough that safety is less of an issue in the Pullman beds( and there may be a fight as to who gets them heheh) unless you got a bunk bed cabin.

Luggage will either get stuffed under the bed or in the closet. hopefully you have nesting or collapsible pieces as storage space is likely to be limited.

Shorts are frowned upon at dinner in the MDR. Buffet is fine. you would most likely not be turned away except on formal night but could be self conscious/feel out of place in shorts the rest of the time.

DO NOT bring walkie talkies. they do not work and are a huge annoyance to your fellow cruisers. it us very easy to make other arrangements to keep in touch.. post it notes, a small dry erase board, messages on the cabin phone. set expectations and guidelines clearly up front as to what you will and will not allow them to do on their own.

OP stated they are in a "normal stateroom with an outside view"....only configuration for that type cabin that hold 5 on Oasis class is a sleeper sofa with 1 Pullman like I stated in my post above....multiple Pullman beds in standard cabins are only available in INTERIOR category's;)

I have heard some people report back that they asked their cabin attendant if they could store their luggage for them with some success...so you may want to ask as the last thing you need is space for 5 peoples luggage taken out of the cabin....a few may fit under the beds but I doubt for all 5.

If this doesn't work another trick you ca do is treat your luggage like Russian Dolls. Put the smaller ones inside the larger ones, therefore consuming less space. This will only work if the bags are different in size.

Others will also have good tips as well. Have a great time.

Andrew

Here's a little tip you can use the showers at the spa for free and they are much much bigger then the ones in the cabin. So that might help with everyone getting ready for dinner at once.

No free showers on Oasis class....you have to pay for the spa where the showers are located.

Hi Everyone,

Five in a standard cabin? Good luck.

As to the pants question, don't worry, you probably will not be the only one without pants ...

no-pants-570.jpg

nopants7_17.jpg

article-1242278-07D10979000005DC-728_634x422.jpg

The WOW phones sound like a really good idea, but bear in mind there is a HUGE penalty if they are lost or damaged (I think about $400 per phone). Personally, there is no way that I would trust an 8 or 10 year old with such expensive equipment. And the teenager probably doesn't need such close monitoring. I don't know what I'd do in your situation. Our son was 8 when we started cruising, and at that age he was mostly in the kids club. By the time we went on Oasis he was 14, had grown out of wanting to go to clubs,and we let him just do his own thing, meeting up for trivia and evening meal. But I'm not sure I'd be quite so happy about an 8 year old doing that - its a very big ship. Do the 8 and 10 year old get on well enough to always stick together? I'd be much happier with two rather than one.

Re the cabin, like others I have to say that I think you will be incredibly cramped. But I suppose if you're just sleeping there...

Yes long pants for MDR although its probably more flexible for your youngest.

There will be an opportunity for the kids to visit Santa in his grotto and get a small gift. The ship will be beautifully decorated for Christmas. You will be fed up of the sound of "Feliz Navidad" (for some reason this is their FAVOURITE Christmas song ;))

that cruise is starting off confusing already, lol! window v balcony and not sure which one? oh boy! if you have a balcony, you maybe able to store the luggage there. I also agree with the Russian doll deal. get an over the door shoe rack bag to put personal items in. everyone's stuff goes in there (toothpaste, hair items, spray bottles, deodorant, etc) to cut down on the clutter. pack a trashbag for the dirty clothes and keep it I the closet. that also cuts down the clutter. you can go on the website and look for your room and it will tell you what the set up is. that way you will already know and the kids will know who is sleeping where.

happy travels

Lisa

Are they really iPhones? Or some walkie/talkie type thing that is more cumbersome?

Archived