Keep photo equipment safe in room

schoolmom

I take my Canon SLR when I cruise... both the body and the zoom lens (which didn't come with the camera) are expensive. I've never had a problem. I don't leave it on a table, bed or sofa, but I don't hide it, either. I leave it on the open shelf under the TV... with a few other things. We also take our iPad and have never had a problem with that. When we're in a hotel and not in our room both the camera and iPad go in our "locked" roll-on.

Gear that was unpacked went into a drawer, gear in the camer backup went into my luggage in the closet. On two cruise to date had thousand of dollars+ of gear, not a problem, generally no problem in hotels either, knock on wood

My Nikon D40 went with me on all of our excursions, but when it was in the cabin, it stayed in my Lowepro backpack. Had no problems with my camera/lenses, or my friends' either. 3 of the 4 of us had new DSLRs, and no issues with securing them in our cabins.

We made sure they were in their cases, and were not just sitting open on a table or desk. I typically kept my backpack either in the closet, or at the foot of my bed.

To be honest, I've never had the least worry about camera equipment onboard. I just got off a 10-day cruise on Zuiderdam, and actually kept my two camera bags right out in the open, sometimes opened up on a chair, and left camera bodies and lenses right on the desk in full view. I had gear totaling 5-figures with a few lenses worth over $1K and it was never anything I had any worries about. I've done this on dozens of cruises so far without incident. Maybe lucky, maybe naive, but it's just not something I ever consider to be a risk.

Justin, I was happy to read your post. Reading most of the other posts, I was beginning to worry about my treatment of my camera gear. In the cabin most of my camera gear gets thrown in my travel case (maybe) and the case (Think Tank Urban 60) gets put in some convenient spot. I want to be able to get to the stuff quickly and easily. I have never worried about theft. Cabin stewards would not be cabin stewards very long if theft was their goal. The ones we have met, mostly on Princess, have worked there a very long time. Like you, I just don’t think there is a risk to be concerned about.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...
Under the bed in my locked luggage never had a problem.

Tom :cool:

This is where I keep my computer.

I think it is more important to secure stuff from fellow passengers walking by your open door (if left open during cleaning) than from your room steward.

I have never had any issues, but you could buy a locking roll-around camera case like a Think Tank Airport International and lock it in the closet.

You could use this case as your carry on - with half dedicated to camera gear and half dedicated to your carry on stuff.

The Think Tank Airport series have security cables that attach to the aluminum frame of the luggage, so you can take the free end and loop it around a closet support, etc.

Feature-Airport-International-V-20-Rolling-Camera-Bag-3.jpg

I actually have this bag, but have yet to take it on a cruise. It is my main storage "locker" for my equipment. I suppose one time I should use it on a cruise.

Very expensive gear. Mine is tucked away, not locked, easy to reach. I never leave anything out where it will get into the room steward's way. All surfaces are as clear as I found them if I am not in the room.

Keep the good stuff out of sight! The thing to worry about is the odd passenger walking by while the door is open as the room is being cleaned. I don't want to leave items in places that would be easy for some passerby to grab.

If you think a locked zipper bag secured by a chain and lock to an immovable object is safe, I can get into that zippered bag with a ballpoint pen. Lots of video's on You Tube on how to get into locked luggage with a ballpoint pen. I also use a portable flex safe that has wire re-enforced sides and a locked cable top that can be secured to an immovable object with no zippers.

Leave mine in my camera bag on the sofa in the room when not in use. Which isn't very often because I always have my camera with me on a cruise. Can't take the spontaneous shot if its 5 decks away:)

That's where mine lives also. I have around 10K worth of gear in the bag and have never had an issue. My GF's gear lives right beside mine and hers is upwards of 4K and she too has not had an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I second what awboater said. I too have the Think Tank Airport International v2.0.

On cruises I bring all my gear in this bag:

(2) Canon EOS1-D bodies

Canon 5D Mark II

Canon 60D

2 "L" Lenses

1 Tamron and 2 Canon Lenses

3 Flashes

I lock the zippers and secure the cable lock to the frame of the fold-out sofa.

I also bring my MacBook Pro to backup/download cards which is secured with a cable lock.

As for opening a bag with a pen, or other object, this is true...but I've always held the belief that locks simply keep honest people honest.

I just want a lock to slow down the thief or make them move on to an easier target!!

I have never had anything go missing!

The last cruise we went on i saw only maybe 5 dlsr users . Everyone else was using there P&S . We all scoped out eachothers cameras and gave approving nods;)

We just got back and same observation....very few DSLRs. However, saw more high end small body mirror less cameras. They provide high quality images without the tourist bulk.

We just got back and same observation....very few DSLRs. However, saw more high end small body mirror less cameras. They provide high quality images without the tourist bulk.

I agree and also don't like to be weighed down with the tourist bulk. I just purchased a replacement point and shot a Sony Cyber Shot DSC HX30V (20x optical 18.2m) which I am looking forward to lugging around with me on our up coming March cruise.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

• 2 weeks later...

Canon 5D MK ll, 70-200, 2.8, 16-35 2.8 all fit in the safe.....more to make DW happy but it is rare that it is all left behind, I almost always at least bring a body and lens with me where ever we are going. You just never know when you will fine that image you really wanted.

Archived