Our Review- Celebrity Eclipse - Nov. 9, 2012

tanelicus

Ok first let me say this. I would rate our cruise 4 out of 5 stars:). So our cruise was great but with some gripes. We really did enjoy our trip. I have responded to a few threads, where one would presume that I was slamming Celebrity, but really I wasn't. I understand it's just a different experience. I tend to be critical yet constructive and I say it like I personally see it. Celebrity is a great cruise line that really caters to a certain experience. We had a terrific time, none the less. We did have our own fun. Can my opinion or viewpoint be swayed, sure. I am often wrong. My grammar can be a little improved I admit this :)

So here is my review that will be posted shortly:

Background: My wife and I are both in our late thirties, having sailed on two previous family cruises with Disney and Royal Caribbean. We loved the itinerary of this cruise, the time of the year that it sailed, and we like to try new things, so we booked. We looked forward to trying Celebrity.

Embarkation: Embarkation took a longer time because of the Eclipse coming back from a transatlantic, added with a thorough inspection (in my actual review I mistakenly say investigation - which is kind of incorrect, but we did hear that the DEA ran crazy on the ship before boarding - which is not a bad thing) from the different authorities. One of our bags (with most of the clothes) got to our cabin very late, which dampened our ability to get to sail away activities. We were in damage control mode. Oh well. It did come, but not without some stress.

Service: Overall pretty good. The crew and officers were very friendly. We did not have any complaints with this. We received a above and beyond moment, which came from Clare at Guest Services, who was the only member of that team (that we dealt with) who made sure that the job got done, and she followed up. Simply super!

We also felt that at times service could be a little improved upon.

The room steward was so-so. He did a good job, but if we ever had a simple request it seemed like a big deal, or that we were bothering him.

Food: For the most part food was pretty good. However at times it was also hit and miss. We felt comfortable with Celebrity, because we enjoy eating, and we read that Celebrity places a great deal of emphasis on their food. The food was good, but not out of this world. We felt that it was about the same as Royal Caribbean in the dining room area.

The Ocean View was great for breakfast. Good quality. At lunch and dinner there was a lack of variety. As some posters have pointed out, the food seemed to be the same each afternoon and night. Celebrity should consider offering some of their dining room dinners in the Ocean View in the evening. On port days, sometimes a more relaxing option to get the same quality of food would be nice.

Room service was good. Contrary to prior comments, on cruise critic we actually enjoyed the coffee and juices available for free at the Ocean View. In fact I did not purchase a soda package because the good quality of the juices and coffee.

Our only specialty restaurant was at Qsine, which we ate at the first evening , and we highly recommend it. The experience was fun, inventive and the food was outstanding. Service was also good. Our only complaint was that they ran out of the Lobster Escargot. How do you run out of something on your first evening? I understand maybe some of this stuff is pre-made, but come on? We are paying extra for this.

The quick snack places at the salad bar, pasta bar, ice cream and sushi bar were all very enjoyable. We only ate once at the little place in the Solarium. The hamburgers and hot dogs on the pool deck were very good, and of high quality.

Room: Our room was a standard verandah, in the Aft. The décor was beautiful, and modern yet comfortable. We enjoyed the use of the interactive TV, and used it to order room service, check our balance, or even watch a free pay per view movie (which was nice, so you weren't beholden to what was on).

Entertainment (or lack of it): Here is by far our biggest complaint! We enjoy eating, and drinking. That in our opinion seemed to be the cornerstone to Celebrity entertainment. The emphasis seems to be relaxing someplace, possibly having a drink. We like to relax, but we also like an active environment.

The activity level on the ship was almost nonexistent. Celebrity puts an unreal amount of emphasis on activities centered around the ships Officer's. It was comically cheesy (they should keep to running the boat). Watching the officers do things like dance, play volleyball, and other activities was over kill.

Very little of the emphasis is on drawing the activity out of the people on the boat, but instead people sitting back and watching what is going on. We didn't have a deck party, and the interior design of the ship really doesn’t support group activities in the interior. There were not any activities that would draw people on the boat together. Every night there should be something to draw in people together in some form, besides sitting back and watching shows.

The entertainers, bands, singers, and musicians were good, but not as talented in our opinion as those on Royal Caribbean. The shows were also good, but not as good as Royal Caribbean. Talent seemed a notch below Royal Caribbean, but noticeable none the less.

It's a great ship for friends, looking for places to drink and socialize together. Celebrity puts a great deal of emphasis on their drinking venues. They are around every corner. If we went with a group of our friends we would probably have a different opinion.

The glass blowing show was interesting and a good time (good for one time).

Overall, entertainment and activity was probably where Celebrity lost us, maybe for good. We enjoyed ourselves, but after a while what Celebrity offers for entertainment gets old, seems unimaginative and was not very memorable. Again, this is our opinion, and many people like Celebrity’s brand of entertainment. We would never take our kids on a Celebrity cruise. It was plain to see that there just wouldn’t be enough to keep them busy and having a good time. Our kids love pools and active areas, and really the S class ships only have the one pool and a basketball court. It’s not a slam on Celebrity, but just a realistic observation based on our kids. They don’t really get into the club activities.

Destinations/Excursions:

1. San Juan, Puerto Rico: This was our first time visiting San

Juan, and we wish there was more time to explore. We went to

the El Morro, and walked back down to the ship. We noticed many

little lounges and fun little alcoves that we wish there was more

time to visit. Maybe make San Juan a destination in the future for

a weekend visit. As the ship got in late, and left late, we ate at a

little restaurant which unfortunately we do not have the name.

Good food.

2. St. Thomas: We went on the Sea Blaster Snorkel excursion.

We highly recommend this excursion, as it was very fun and well

organized. Sea Blaster takes you to two places to snorkel. Each has

a wide variety of fish, turtles, and other sea life. A truly wonderful

experience. Everybody should try snorkeling at least once in the

Caribbean. It’s a blast. On the way back the Sea Blaster crew

gives you snacks, and complimentary rum punch. Let’s just say

that we felt pretty good upon our arrival.

3. St. Martin: We have been to St. Martin before, but never

visited Marigot on the French side of the island. Though it

probably had its day, it was a little dirtier and not as well kept up

with. Marigot was probably worth a visit, but the French side

needs to clean it up. We then went to the Dutch side, and had a

great time walking around and shopping. We love the Dutch side.

4. St. Kitts: We have never been to St. Kitts before and were

looking forward to it. As we like to snorkel, and noticing that there

was a lack of such excursion offerings from Celebrity. I researched

snorkeling offerings on the island. I came across, Blue Water

Safari. I can’t recommend Blue Water enough. The trip was

extremely affordable, and it was truly a blast. You take a

catamaran to a bay near Nevis, that has a sunken ship. Great sea

life there. The crew was fun, professional and kept everybody well

fed and of course alcohol is included. All the rum punch and Carib

Beer you can drink. There were other people from Celebrity on

this excursion and they agreed that the Blue Water excursion was

one of the highlights of their cruise. Celebrity should consider

offering this excursion to their cruisers.

We also walked around the port shopping area is very nice. The

people of St. Kitts are very friendly. They can be a little

aggressive, but friendly.

The Ship: The Eclipse is beautiful, well maintained and clean ship. We enjoyed looking at the art, and taking in the good design and intricate details of the ship. Absolutely a gorgeous ship!

Overall Thoughts: Our cruise on Celebrity Eclipse for the most part gave us what we wanted, a getaway to the Eastern Caribbean, where we could visit some of our favorite ports, and explore new ones. The time of year this cruise was offered was also perfect, in that it was after the heart of the hurricane season, but before the busy holiday cruise season.

The ship is clean and beautiful. The food was good but comparable to Royal Caribbean who is not known for the quality of their food.

There is a relaxed and laid back activity level on the Eclipse which was nice, but it became old in short order. The level of talent in the entertainment could be improved upon. There just was not enough going on in the evening, and there wasn’t enough to bring people together as a whole. We aren’t party animals by any stretch, but we like a little more activity. On our past cruises we did not want our trip to end, on this cruise we were ready to get back to reality.

We wanted to try Celebrity, and we are glad that we did. We don’t have any regrets. We enjoyed our adventure, but feel as though Celebrity may not be the cruise line for us. We have now traveled on three different cruise lines, and have a clearer view of what we like. Royal Caribbean offers the best of all worlds in our opinion, because there is relaxation if you want it, and more activity and entertainment if you want that. Celebrity Eclipse offered a great cruise, but overall the experience just missed for us. Plus, we just don’t see a Solstice class ship or any Celebrity ship being a good option for a family.

A very fair and balanced review. Thank you. I agree with what you have said. Our first main cruise was with celebrity and we loved it. Having been on different cruise lines since I'm looking forward to comparing again with more knowledge in March. Since experiencing Royal Caribbean I did think the entertainment was better and enjoyed the promenade area but as we don't have children I enjoyed the quieter atmosphere on celebrity on the pool deck. :-)

Thanks for your review I have one more week to wait until I board the Eclipse.

I have a theory on the first Caribbean cruise following the TA.

The staff are exhausted. Since there are so many sea days and not a lot of down time there is no time for them to rest and catch up. We've talked to the staff about this.

Then, when the ship arrives in the US it needs to go through a lot of changes and transitioning.

And, yes, it was the only time our luggage arrived around 7:30pm causing us to scramble a bit (not a complaint - we went with the flow).

All in all, I think it trickles down and impacts experience. If it was my first cruise, I might be puzzled.

Agreed. Fabulous crew on board Celebrity and they do their best.

Us? We specifically planned our cruise this year (and our 2013 cruise) to NOT be the first one on the Caribbean leg. We'll see if my theory pays off.

Judy

I hope and know that those that have booked and are considering booking with Celebrity will have a wonderful time. Again, everybody is looking for their own certain experience. Celebrity delivers a good quality product. No doubt.

My intention with this review and my postings regarding our cruise, were never to stop people from sailing Celebrity, or get them to feel funny about their upcoming Celebrity cruise.

I think coming from the Transatlantic probably did take a toll on the crew, plus I have read that there was or was about to be a major turnover (major as in 200-400 people). If people were about to be moved, then morale may have been a little low.

With that said, we really didn't experience any service issues. For the most part the crew seemed friendly. Not engaging, but friendly.

Everybody enjoy your cruise with Celebrity. It's a great cruise experience.

I do stand by my comments regarding kids and Celebrity. The Eclipse really did not have ample pool space, and other outdoor features prevalent on kid friendly ships. I am pretty sure my kids would be bored silly.

I am sure that Celebrity has a fun kids club, maybe because there are not as many outdoor places for kids the kids club is much more engaging in other ways. So who knows? I think many many people sail on Celebrity because there are not many kids on board, and there aren't all the crazy outdoor frills that Royal, Disney, Carnival and NCL have.

I think many many people sail on Celebrity because there are not many kids on board, and there aren't all the crazy outdoor frills that Royal, Disney, Carnival and NCL have.

Thanks for the review.

As a retired grandparent of 6 I think our first time sailing with Celebity will suit us:D

I would agree with just about everything said. I had only cruised Carnival so that was my comparison. We did have a suite on Carnival so I think that biased it a bit but overall, we were surprised that the service was very comparable.

We found that there wasn't a whole lot to do in the evening as well but have decided on our upcoming cruise in February, that we are going to join in everything available. The last time we were asked to join the volleyball game, the dance contest etc. And aside from our friend who judged the singing contest, we didn't do anything except watch (and dance at the 80's deck party) I think this is definitely a make your own fun ship.

Thank you for your review. I have only cruised Celebrity. Everything you said confirms for me that I'm sailing the right cruiseline. I have no wish for the people on my ship to be drawn together. I like a quieter, more reserved ship.

Well you got it! LOL We did have a great time.

Thank you for your review. I have only cruised Celebrity. Everything you said confirms for me that I'm sailing the right cruiseline. I have no wish for the people on my ship to be drawn together. I like a quieter, more reserved ship.

I'm with you. I'd much prefer dining with Cary Grant than Spike Jones. Am I dating myself?:D

OP, thank you for your fair and balanced review.

We have also cruised Disney(x3) and RCI (x2), with several X mixed in. I agree, I wouldn't want to encourage fun loving very active people to cruise on X. But for us, it is a perfect fit. Just yesterday I asked my husband what he was looking forward to on our upcoming Eclipse cruise. He said catching up on reading, watching the ocean and relaxing. Personally, I think that is a little too unexciting, but we both really enjoy the flavor of X.

Cruise for just us? X

Cruise with friends? RCI

Cruise with our nieces? Disney!

Disney, RCI and X are apples, oranges and pick a comparable fruit. They are all good, just a different flavor. :D

Thank you for a very balanced review.

If I ever take my grandchildren on a cruise I would take them on RC ship based on your and others recommendations.

You might want to consider Princess, too, for a multigenerational family group-- they are very good at offering options for different ages and tastes

OP, thank you for your fair and balanced review.

We have also cruised Disney(x3) and RCI (x2), with several X mixed in. I agree, I wouldn't want to encourage fun loving very active people to cruise on X. But for us, it is a perfect fit. Just yesterday I asked my husband what he was looking forward to on our upcoming Eclipse cruise. He said catching up on reading, watching the ocean and relaxing. Personally, I think that is a little too unexciting, but we both really enjoy the flavor of X.

Cruise for just us? X

Cruise with friends? RCI

Cruise with our nieces? Disney!

Disney, RCI and X are apples, oranges and pick a comparable fruit. They are all good, just a different flavor. :D

I agree with your last comment completely!

I heard that Celebrity food in the mdr is almost the same as RCI. If you were blind you wouldn't know the difference. I know that RCI owns X. On Friday I'll be on my first Celebrity ship in over 10 years, doing the ta so I'll compare RCI and X.

I heard that Celebrity food in the mdr is almost the same as RCI. If you were blind you wouldn't know the difference. I know that RCI owns X. On Friday I'll be on my first Celebrity ship in over 10 years, doing the ta so I'll compare RCI and X.

Every experience is unique for good or bad in some way. I hope that the food is awsome on your cruise.

I thought it was pretty good on average. Comparing food is probably a difficult one, however you know when something is seasoned and cooked correctly.

I thought the temperature of the food was always perfect. The steaks other than the surf and turn were iffy. The chicken meals were terrific, as well as the lamb.

I know foodies are going to throw their spoon at the screen at what I am going to say next. It's a shame that the Ocean view did not add more variety, because overall I thought that is where Celebrity clearly outshone Royal, on taste and quality.

Make sure you try Qsine. That is truly a unique and wonderful experience!!! Great food and service all around.

We will be taking our 6th southern caribbean cruise, in February 2013. We have experienced: Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity.

We feel that there are vast differences between them, in terms of "atmosphere",

and overall cruise "experience."

We chose Celebrity Eclipse for our upcoming cruise, because of one factor: its itinerary.

We were looking for a 14 day cruise, originating from Florida; Eclipse fit our needs.

If Royal Caribbean had a similiar itinerary, I would have definitely booked with them.

I know what to expect from the above cruise lines, and therefore not disappointed,

when I take their cruise.

I am very active at the ports, unlike some of the posters on this thread. Our 14 day cruise has 5 sea days, and 8 ports. I explore every island, even though I have been to some of them, 4 or 5 times. Especially love to snorkel; how can one get tired of that activity?

So, on this particular cruise, I will not mind the rather quiet evening "atmosphere." I will

enjoy the solitude, quiet conversation with my wife, looking at the stars, with my favorite libation.

The more exciting night life, will await a future 7 day cruise(Royal Caribbean).

But, IMO Celebrity is in a class by itself, in many respects.

We will be taking our 6th southern caribbean cruise, in February 2013. We have experienced: Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity.

We chose Celebrity Eclipse for our upcoming cruise, because of one factor: its itinerary.

We were looking for a 14 day cruise, originating from Florida; Eclipse fit our needs.

If Royal Caribbean had a similiar itinerary, I would have definitely booked with them.

I know what to expect from the above cruise lines, and therefore not disappointed,

I am very active at the ports, unlike some of the posters on this thread. Our 14 day cruise has 5 sea days, and 8 ports. I explore every island, even though I have been to some of them, 4 or 5 times. Especially love to snorkel; how can one get tired of that activity?

So, on this particular cruise, I will not mind the rather quiet evening "atmosphere." I will

enjoy the solitude, quiet conversation with my wife, looking at the stars, with my favorite libation.

The more exciting night life, will await a future 7 day cruise(Royal Caribbean).

Wish they had a "like" button! A cruise is what you as an individual makes of it. It can be a quiet, lazy one or a high intensity cruise. We have cruising friends who say the first night is the "stay up all night" regardless of which line they are on. Go and enjoy whichever cruise you choose because remember you are on "your" holiday!!:)

Snow bunny

Make sure you contact Blue Water Safari. You will have the time of your life. Very reasonable. Have fun!! Totally agree with you. We tried snorkeling a couple years ago, and we are totally hooked!! There is not a activity that is more fun and relaxing than snorkeling in our opinion!! Love it!!!

Archived