News on Perry Grant

norn iron

We are in our mid 40's, with two teens,

We were concerned about entertainment on Celebrity. We were pleasantly surprised with the variety

We found ourselves showing up to the Michael's club almost every night that Perry was performing.

Not only did we enjoy it, our kids really got to experience different types of entertainment, laughs a plenty

A real entertainer

I have seen several references on here to Perry Grant - what kind of entertainer is he - we are on the Eclipse in Feb 2013 so may well see him

oh gosh Cruisestitch! Saying "positions please" brought back such a smile on my face! He did make us smile so much. The interaction with the audience was fabulous and even having folks come up and "turn on his lighted balls" bring back hysterical laughter. Gosh, what fun we had while we were on Connie! We did not feel he was insulting but rather more of a tease when he asked about the kitchen or on suite bath...memories. We hope to see him again some time. Yes, everyone has a different taste in entertainment. For us, he was pure fun. He also played great tunes from long ago. Impressive entertainer for sure! LOVE Perry!

I have seen several references on here to Perry Grant - what kind of entertainer is he - we are on the Eclipse in Feb 2013 so may well see him

Not a very good one. Been on several times when he has been on the ship, the latest being Constellation this past October. Went inside for a few minutes and left quickly. He is still an awful entertainer.

That said he does have a loyal following. Some book the cruise for him. The room is always full. To each their own.....

He is a piano bar entertainer that plays the old standards intermingled with his own caustic brand of humor...which some people like....I don't..but he is about the only piano bar entertainer that X even bothers to employ...which may be part of why he seems to have such a following..

...but he is about the only piano bar entertainer that X even bothers to employ...which may be part of why he seems to have such a following..

That's pretty baffling isn't it. I think part of the reason is that for a few years they hired some that were so bad the bars probably had more customers when they were not playing than when they were. You'd think they'd be able to figure out how to hire a few decent piano bar musicians. As I said in post above, we've seen some that were big attractions on other cruise lines in the past so it is possible. For some reason Celebrity doesn't seem willing to either make the effort or pay the price or both.

Agreed....when you see people standing in the hall trying to get in to see Perry, or skipping dinner to be sure to get a seat, or booking cruises just to be able to see him every night, it is baffling that Celebrity doesn't try to find other piano bar entertainers for the other ships. The craft beer thing doesn't seem to be working in those Michaels Clubs which have that format.

That's pretty baffling isn't it. I think part of the reason is that for a few years they hired some that were so bad the bars probably had more customers when they were not playing than when they were. You'd think they'd be able to figure out how to hire a few decent piano bar musicians. As I said in post above, we've seen some that were big attractions on other cruise lines in the past so it is possible. For some reason Celebrity doesn't seem willing to either make the effort or pay the price or both.

It IS baffling...on Royal cruises I've been on the piano bar players have filled the venues every night to overflowing, which means LOTS of bar revenue, and I'm not talking about raucous, callous, entertainment as some might suggest since it's a Royal ship and not X. I'm talking the same age group that cruise X, the same type of music that most in their 40's to 70's enjoy... It's a win - win in my book... I agree with you about the bad ones on X..our first Solstice cruise in 2010 the guy put me to sleep....makes no sense though since both lines are owned by same company you would think the talent pool could be tapped by either line...I've been lamenting this issue for years to deaf ears.... Oh well, my next cruise is on Royal and the ONE thing I am really looking forward to is the piano bar!!!!:D

Hi Everyone,

With apologies to the OP, I would not believe any of this. Im on Eclipse now, and everyone is saying that Perry will be performing in the Sky Lounge when he joins Eclipse in late January. If this information proves to be accurate, then whatever happens with Michaels Club in the future, does not matter to Mr Grant.

At this point, Michaels remains a Piano bar on Eclipse. No craft beers. It's been absolutely dead whenever I've passed by the venue. I'm not sure if a performer is even scheduled for Michaels on this sailing.

On Edit : I checked the Daily program. Michaels currently has Peter Rossetti performing. I will try to visit one of his performances, and report back.

Host Andy,

I accept what you are saying in relation to Sky Lounge being a possible venue for Perry, and that would prolong his Celebrity career, and allow larger number of passengers (or fans) to watch him perform. However if Sky Lounge wasn't to be used in this way then the information I was given might hold. Time will tell.

It IS baffling...on Royal cruises I've been on the piano bar players have filled the venues every night to overflowing, which means LOTS of bar revenue, and I'm not talking about raucous, callous, entertainment as some might suggest since it's a Royal ship and not X. I'm talking the same age group that cruise X, the same type of music that most in their 40's to 70's enjoy... It's a win - win in my book... I agree with you about the bad ones on X..our first Solstice cruise in 2010 the guy put me to sleep....makes no sense though since both lines are owned by same company you would think the talent pool could be tapped by either line...I've been lamenting this issue for years to deaf ears.... Oh well, my next cruise is on Royal and the ONE thing I am really looking forward to is the piano bar!!!!:D
What ship Gracie, we tried the Oasis,like the Freedom.Equinox on 12/10,Solstice type ships still our favorite.happy holidays.tj:D

The diverse feelings about Perry Grant are interesting. Yet the fact remains that he fills the room whenever he is performing. His being incorporated into the main showroom whereat he is the star of the evening also attracts maximum audiences.

And as the old saying goes: "you cannot argue with success."

Perry can be provocative in his humor. Beneath that is a gentle, loving human being who has proven, beyond any doubt, that he is tolerant and supportive of all people who walk the earth.

Sure, not everyone can let their hair down and take well to being a subject of satire. But to those who take it as a medal, Perry never disappoints. I have seen this man almost reduced to tears when he learned of a tragedy involving one of his fans. If that doesn't give you a clue to the man behind the character then I do not know what will.

Larry Simon raises a key point. "X" does not seem overly anxious to invest in quality lounge entertainers. Personally, I like nothing better than to relax in an intimate lounge setting listening to a piano artist while sipping a fine scotch. And while I do just that as my wife and I guffaw and reminisce during Perry Grant's performances in Michael's, we share the disappointment that other "X" vessels seem to lack that escape mechanism.

At my point in life I have no taste (or interest) in craft beers, designer coffees and the like. I also understand that "X" makes great sums of money peddling booze - as does any establishment blessed with a liquor license. Overly loud music played via loudspeaker systems drives me away. An entertainer who can sense the mood of his/her audience hauls me in and opens my wallet.

Perry Grant is directly responsible for bringing in millions of dollars for "X" and her parent company. We cruise often. Never have I seen Perry play to less than a packed house. I am certain the "X" bean counters know what that translates into better than I.

If "X" wants a customer mutiny on its hands all they have to do is torpedo the man who is probably the most singularly successful entertainer on the seven seas.

Happy Cruise, y'all!

NJ Fred,

Excellent post Fred and thanks for taking the time to share. We feel the same and understand that everyone has his or her own likes and dislikes even when cruising. We cruise for the ship, some cruise for the destinations. Perry was part of our "ship experience" that we missed while on Infinity.

As Perry would say, "we don't judge people here"! He always made people SMILE and laugh. What else could one want?

I see you are from the Jersey Shore. We continue to pray about your community and hope that the holidays bring families closer together through such hard times. Best to you.

Does anyone know of any entertainer on any other cruise line that gets bookings solely because of the entertainer on the ship? I bet not...

One of the best entertainers I've heard on a ship was a guy named "Sarge" on Princess many years ago. Of course the only issue was that there wasn't enough seating on Princess to handle a normal crowd on the ship let alone for one of the better shows. I'd be willing to bet that he attracted passengers. Ditto on some of the piano bar musicians I heard on Princess back then.

One of the best entertainers I've heard on a ship was a guy named "Sarge" on Princess many years ago. Of course the only issue was that there wasn't enough seating on Princess to handle a normal crowd on the ship let alone for one of the better shows. I'd be willing to bet that he attracted passengers. Ditto on some of the piano bar musicians I heard on Princess back then.

I agree about Sarge. One of the best onboard. Pretty sure he is still around as I have heard his name mentioned recently. I am hoping he is onboard Ruby Princess next week. Also I agree that Princess has had some of the best piano bar musicians.

What ship Gracie, we tried the Oasis,like the Freedom.Equinox on 12/10,Solstice type ships still our favorite.happy holidays.tj:D

Going on Oasis in two weeks....with sister and brother in law....always swore I wouldn't get on that moster but it's what they wanted and I'm not one to turn down a cruise.....suspect I will be same as you, I love the "S" class!!!

Sarge performed during my Star Princess cruise and I was anxious to experience his act since I had heard a great deal about him. All the reviews were highly positive. I left the show un-entertained. His "humor" did not strike me as being funny.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Go to iTunes and search for Perry Grant Entertainer....there are clips from his stage show and also from the piano bar....different styles but you'll see quite a few songs there. (Don't be confused with a skateboarder by the same name)

you probably mean: You Tube

Archived