What are those "Odd" things some of us would never think to bring?

dis2cruise

Here is one I haven't seen yet.

For 15+ years now I have been bringing a roll of my own TP. I don't care for the John Wayne TP in the bathrooms on ships. What do I mean by John Wayne TP? Rough and tough and don't take crap off of anyone.

This is what clogs up the system and creates plumbing problems for everyone on your floor.

I always bring the plastic hangers (I can get them at the thrift store for 12 for .99 ) I bring at least a dozen and leave them behind when I go. Stewards will use them for other passengers who ask for extra hangers and I have room in my suitcase for souvenirs.

RE: Anti-diarrhea medicine. Bring it for sure. Passengers have been quarantined to their rooms for 2-3 days in fear that they had norovirus when they went to ship's doctor for medicine.

• 4 months later...

Here's a couple things I haven't seen mentioned:

If you're a gum chewed, don't forget to bring some with you.

To solve the TP issue (because the ship does us marine grade for a reason) we bring Cottonelle wipes, and sandwich zip baggies to dispose of them in.

If you're a soda drinker and fiercely prefer one brand over another, find out which one your ship carries. Then you can bring yours if they don't have it.

Shower poufs, because the ship's body wash (on Carnival anyway) doesn't lather very well with just a washcloth. We also bring those suction cup hooks to hang them in the shower with since space in there is already at a premium.

For those of us who like to have a fan for sleeping or whatever, these are a gem!

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11209339&cagpspn=pla

Amazon has them cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/O2Cool-1041-S006-001-Portable-Battery-Operated-Fan/dp/B001AVMSEY/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1365955725&sr=1-1

Edited by imnance

Keep up the good suggestions.

1. If laundry on board I back Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets.

2. Garbage bag with odor control for dirty clothing.

3. Copies of receipts for cameras and other electronic devices as proof of ownership in inside pockets of camera case. Stopped several times in customs wanting to know if I purchased these items on this cruise.

4. Fly swatter if going to the Caribbean.

5. Tie the brightest ribbons around luggage handles for easy locating in airport and cruise terminal.

Roseanna

Not that I'm a complete germaphobe, but I bring Clorox wipes and, on arrival, super clean door knobs, light switches, TV remote, telephone and such from the last cruisers in my stateroom. With Norovirus always being a threat, one can't be too sure. I also use them on the plane to clean the table and armrests to avoid picking up something on the plane.

Happy Cruising!

A sound machine, called a Homedics Soundspa, it has several 'natural' sounds, I bought for about $20, that AND earplugs can ALMOST down out the snores of the DH. LOLLLLL !!

As was posted, a white noise machine. Also, NyQuil and DayQuil. I caught a major cold in Costa Rica a couple years ago and had to buy those things from the gift shop. One would think they were made of cold-pressed Latium (at least I think that was the phrase on Star Trek for something very expensive).

Edited by Treven

A travel size can of static guard - just picked up at target for 1.50 - last trip forgot and bought at hotel little shop for $5.00,

Stamps for postcards

Lip sunscreen - my lips blistered in Haiti in February - ouch!

Gum for airplane

Antibacterial travel bottle

Important phone numbers and addresses- ie number if lose credit card, to send postcards

Slippers - will not walk around barefoot or even in just socks in cabin or hotel rooms

A few single serve bags of trail mix

Extra pair of contacts

Always pack a few plastic trash bags for dirty laundry - separate in dif bags so can do quickly when I get home

Copy of any onboard credit - last cruise it did not show up and giving copy expedited the process

UNO - good to have a card game in case bad weather, etc

Noise machine /travel alarm clock--we are used to sleeping with the "white noise"... Magellan's has a nice "Sound Oasis" one, great for background noise and alarm. We also carry a light weight digital luggage scale..no more over 50 lbs.

!

Made by Homedics.Along with ear plugs for the problem snorer, AIN'T gonna say WHICH one !! :) Also several medium sized paper clamps, for those pesky window curtains, LOL !! Because, NO matter which side I'm sleeping on, THAT'S the side that's going to get that strip of sunlight in my eyes. :( I'm sure I'll think of some more, if I ask HER. :)

:D If we take all of these extra things, we wouldn't have room for clothes!

Still, most of us have some odd things we we take along that others would find useless.

My ODD thing: Small package of plastic spoons.

I keep yogurt in the fridge to have when I wake up in the morning (blood sugar thing) so the little plastic spoons are more convenient to me than the big ones from the buffet.

LuLu

~~~~

I sometimes buy artwork which I don't want to get crushed or wrinkled on the trip home. Even in hand luggage, if unprotected it can get bashed around in the overhead compartments or when stuffed under the seat. So now I bring a flattened cardboard shoebox, a large one for running shoes or boots. It takes up almost no space, unfolded and flattened out.

Then, if I buy a print or water colour, I can slide it inside where it's protected. On my trip that included Venice, I was able to re-assemble the shoebox and get two theatrical masks home in perfect condition.

As was posted, a white noise machine. Also, NyQuil and DayQuil. I caught a major cold in Costa Rica a couple years ago and had to buy those things from the gift shop. One would think they were made of cold-pressed Latium (at least I think that was the phrase on Star Trek for something very expensive).

:D Completely agree! After one episode several years ago, we bring a small version of our medicine cabinet!

Maybe I'll add Sea Bands to the list (pack in carry-on as TSA lifted my battery operated bands a couple of years ago from luggage). Two years ago going through the Biscayne Bay, realized I needed sea bands, quickly. Ran down to the gift shop and paid a king's ransome for a pair.

:D

Maybe I'll add Sea Bands to the list (pack in carry-on as TSA lifted my battery operated bands a couple of years ago from luggage). Two years ago going through the Biscayne Bay, realized I needed sea bands, quickly. Ran down to the gift shop and paid a king's ransome for a pair.

Sea Bands?

Edited by Treven