Features I'd REALLY like. Did RCL misread my mind?

Bazzito

Pretty funny.

Still, so many people just love those ice shows. Most watching would likely take an ice show over access to an ice machine. There might be a riot if they changed it into an ice machine room.

Is there a zip line on IOS? On Oasis the zip line is rather popular. Maybe a few people wish they had access to a coin laundry after the zip line;), but most seem to enjoy the rush. A transatlantic cruise would allow one time to generate and do laundry; less so on the 6-8 night runs IOS will do this winter. I'd be happy just to have access to a room with irons and ironing boards. Oh, well, somebody else will have to press my dress.

Do they now grow crops on IOS? I did not know that. Well, I'd rather have a popcorn machine, too, and they certainly do not need to grow their own corn to make me happy.

Where do you live? Top shelf steakhouse are way pricier in my area than any specialty restaurant on IOS, and mine is only a medium size city in Middle America. After cruising, the menu prices in resort areas make my head ache.

Have you tried Princess?

Well, yes, Starry Eyes, I have tried Princess. And they had a coin laundry!!

And yes, I went to the ice show on IOS and really enjoyed it! That still doesn't mean that I miss it on any other ship I've been on.

And did I say "top shelf" steak house? Methinks not. I live in central Florida and have no illusions that a steak dinner at Bern's in Tampa is comparable in price to the one at Chops - but neither is their steak.

And No they don't have the zip line or grow plants on the IOS - but they do on the Oasis class ships.

Picky, Picky, Picky!

So I exagerated for comic effect. Just sue me!

For crying out loud, woman! Listening to you, one might think I wanted to let passengers smoke cigars on their own balconies!

Wait!! I actually remember doing that!

Now, I'd trade that experience for some merry-go-round any old day.

I absolutely do not want a laundry on board because if there were one, I'd be expected to use some of the cruise doing laundry. No way! I'm on vacation just like Hubby. No time in a cruise ship coin-operated laundry for me.

Well I would rather throw a bunch of sweaty work out clothes into a washing machine than wash them out in a tiny bathroom sink. But we will all do without the laundry because, after all, you are on vacation.

I absolutely do not want a laundry on board because if there were one, I'd be expected to use some of the cruise doing laundry. No way! I'm on vacation just like Hubby. No time in a cruise ship coin-operated laundry for me.

Exactly.... why go get ice when they bring it to you. Why fool with doing laundry... ITS VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, yes, Starry Eyes, I have tried Princess. And they had a coin laundry!!

And yes, I went to the ice show on IOS and really enjoyed it! That still doesn't mean that I miss it on any other ship I've been on....

And did I say "top shelf" steak house? Methinks not. I live in central Florida and have no illusions that a steak dinner at Bern's in Tampa is comparable in price to the one at Chops - but neither is their steak.

So I exagerated for comic effect. Just sue me!

For crying out loud, woman! Listening to you, one might think I wanted to let passengers smoke cigars on their own balconies! Wait!! I actually remember doing that! Now, I'd trade that experience for some merry-go-round any old day.

Yes, I know Princess has a coin laundry. That's why I asked... there is a ship and line for just about everyone. Oasis and Freedom Class added features to draw active young (and young at heart people); go ahead and poke fun of those features, but they actually draw others to the ship in droves. There are lots of other ships without those features...even ships some, I thought, suitable for comical curmudgeons:p...For a moment I thought Princess might be for you, but they won't let you smoke on your balcony.

What RCL thinks I was thinking:

“Golly. I wish I could ride a zip line on this ship.”

What I actually was thinking:

“Golly. I wish I cold operate a coin laundry on this ship!”

This is one of the many reasons that we enjoy cruises on longer itineraries (especially in Europe) on Princess. Anyone who believes that this amenity is not popular only has to see lines on sea days on Princess ships on these longer itineraries. I do mine before breakfast.

However, for a 7-day itinerary on the Allure, I'd prefer the zip line. Thank you. ;)

As for the post above, the non-smoking balconies is another reason to cruise on Princess.

Each line has its pluses and minuses.

Exactly.... why go get ice when they bring it to you. Why fool with doing laundry... ITS VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not too hard to throw clothes from your laundry bag into a washing machine and come back 30 minutes later to put them in the dryer and collect them 45 minutes later. It also allows you to pack much less on vacations. It sure beats washing clothes in a sink (which people do on RCI) and the drying them on a balcony. I will never understand why people who don't care to do laundry on a ship are so opposed to ships having facilities for those of us who actually use them. :confused::confused:

I totally agree about the coin laundry and cannot believe Allure does not have one. It would be so much easier to throw in a load of underwear, socks and tee shirts and be able to pack a lot less clothes.....especially when you are flying and have to pay for every suitcase.

I totally agree about the coin laundry and cannot believe Allure does not have one. It would be so much easier to throw in a load of underwear, socks and tee shirts and be able to pack a lot less clothes.....especially when you are flying and have to pay for every suitcase.

6,000 passengers. How big of a laundry room do you think they would need to make?

It also kind of "cheapens" the look of the big ship if you are walking around and see coin-operated laundry. With those they seem to be looking for "resort" appeal. Wouldn't be bad on some smaller ships, maybe down near medical. (Certainly would not want MY cabin anywhere near them *grin*) I've never felt the need to do my laundry on board myself, but if others want to, to each their own.

Well, I respectfully disagree. You say you would rather have an ice machine, popcorn machine and laundry machines instead of an ice skating rink, zip line and upscale steakhouse? It really does sound like you would like the simple things of home. Most of us (luckily) have access to popcorn, laundry and ice every day. Many people take a cruise to have access to unusual and fun things they can't get every day. I am really looking forward to an ice show and ice skating with my son. I may not zip line, but I can see how people would love that.

30.00 per person. I can certainly eat steak of the same quality or even better than Chops on land for cheaper :)

I woluld debate that point with you! If you're getting a better steak for $30, that's all you're getting, no sides, or the steak is n ot the same quality!

Pretty funny.

Still, so many people just love those ice shows. Most watching would likely take an ice show over access to an ice machine. There might be a riot if they changed it into an ice machine room.

Is there a zip line on IOS? On Oasis the zip line is rather popular. Maybe a few people wish they had access to a coin laundry after the zip line;), but most seem to enjoy the rush. A transatlantic cruise would allow one time to generate and do laundry; less so on the 6-8 night runs IOS will do this winter. I'd be happy just to have access to a room with irons and ironing boards. Oh, well, somebody else will have to press my dress.

Do they now grow crops on IOS? I did not know that. Well, I'd rather have a popcorn machine, too, and they certainly do not need to grow their own corn to make me happy.

Where do you live? Top shelf steakhouse are way pricier in my area than any specialty restaurant on IOS, and mine is only a medium size city in Middle America. After cruising, the menu prices in resort areas make my head ache.

Have you tried Princess?

I totally agree with your post!

Extremely amusing post! LOVED it!!

A funny story: On one of my earlier cruises on a different cruise line, we befriended a group of passengers from Canada. One of them had "successfully" smuggled a bottle of vodka onto the ship. I say "successfully" because it was not confiscated. However, it was also not drinkable. The bottle broke and the contents of his suitcase were bathed in vodka. He was quite happy the ship had a self-service laundry.

I pretty much ALWAYS play mini-golf on my cruises. About half the time, shuffleboard! I love the ice show, but don't miss it on ships that don't have one. (Radiance is my favorite class.) I haven't taken a cruise that was long enough to miss laundry facilities, but can see how they'd be handy on a B2B. Ice machines...so we don't have to bother the room steward...now THAT'S an excellent idea!!!

I agree with Richard's theory that many of the things we might ALL like to see on the ships wouldn't provide sufficient marketing opportunities!

All kidding aside, we clearly all like cruising and cruise ships or we wouldn't be here. I think it's also probably safe to say that none of us have every used the blasted boxing ring!!

6,000 passengers. How big of a laundry room do you think they would need to make?

It also kind of "cheapens" the look of the big ship if you are walking around and see coin-operated laundry. With those they seem to be looking for "resort" appeal. Wouldn't be bad on some smaller ships, maybe down near medical. (Certainly would not want MY cabin anywhere near them *grin*) I've never felt the need to do my laundry on board myself, but if others want to, to each their own.

I guess the the accomodations would have to be about double what Princess offers on its 3000 passenger ships.

As for the degrading look of a laundry room, I suppose walking down the pier and seeing clothes drying on balcony railings, after being washed out in a sink, really adds to the resort appeal.

I really don't relish the idea of feeding coins into a washing machine where I will ultimately lose a sock or two. I'd much rather enjoy feeding my coins into a slot machine...where...unfortunately...I'll just end up losing my shirt. :rolleyes:

Eric

Laundry rooms don't cheapen looks of cruise ships. They aren't noticeable as doors to them are closed and usually near housekeeping supply rooms. On longer cruises, I don't like to be too far away from them. But I wouldn't use them on a short 7-day cruise.

Exactly.... why go get ice when they bring it to you.

They now only fill your ice bucket once a day. If there were an ice machine and plastic buckets, I would grab a bucket full on my way to the cabin when I head back at some point in the afternoon. My last two cruises the cabin steward asked if we wanted the bucket filled in the morning or in the evening. It used to be filled both times.

They now only fill your ice bucket once a day. If there were an ice machine and plastic buckets, I would grab a bucket full on my way to the cabin when I head back at some point in the afternoon. My last two cruises the cabin steward asked if we wanted the bucket filled in the morning or in the evening. It used to be filled both times.

Did you say you'd like it done twice a day? I cannot imagine the steward refusing to give you enough ice.

What people value depends not just on what they like to do, but what they bring. I'm a guy; I don't bring the wardrobe my wife does. But I'm a scuba diver and not an 'off the rack' guy - so my scuba gear takes up a lot of space in one suitcase.

Plus, I've got an ingrained working middle class conservative cheapness regarding paying what I perceive to be high prices for things. Yes, we could afford to pay the ship to launder a couple pair of pants and some shirts. But if the prices look expensive, ain't gonna happen.

If I don't have a sweaty port day, I can get a couple of days out of most any article of clothing. But a coin laundry would be nice.

My wife's the one who loves popcorn.

Richard.

Archived