Best Sea Sickness Meds?

Leucothea

I am trying to find a good travel sickness med to have available in case of rough weather.

Bonine and Dramamine cause drowsiness and make me feel tired and ill after disembarkation. Stugeron makes me feel quite awful for a couple of weeks after disembarking. Avomine seems to cause less drowsiness, but I took it just once or twice. I don't seem to be able to find Avomine anywhere in any of the pharmacies.

Has anyone tried Kwells?

I am looking for a med that causes minimum drowsiness, and is not too hard on the liver (which, I assume, is why the others had negative after effects). I know it must be the meds causing the side effects because when I don't take any I feel fine after disembarking (even if I'd had a few drinks onboard).

Thanks.

I found out about Avomine last cruise....thank goodness. I started taking it several days before the cruise and then took one each night about an hour before bed and had no problems. That was the key..taking it before bedtime. No drowsiness especially...like others I had taken before. Avomine is what it is called here in Australia but I think it is the same as Phenergan. They tell you that if you are taking it that you are not to drink alcohol.

Hope this helps.

Barbara

When I was a young Merchant Seaman many years ago, the old timers assured me that the best cure for mal de mer was to spend a few moments sitting under an oak tree.:eek::D If your ship is not so equipped, I recommend the jab on board. Works very well for the duration of the voyage and, other than the initial nap, has no noticeable side effects (at least on me).:D

I found out about Avomine last cruise....thank goodness. I started taking it several days before the cruise and then took one each night about an hour before bed and had no problems. That was the key..taking it before bedtime. No drowsiness especially...like others I had taken before. Avomine is what it is called here in Australia but I think it is the same as Phenergan. They tell you that if you are taking it that you are not to drink alcohol.

Hope this helps.

Barbara

I'm afraid that Avomine and Phenergan, which both consist of promethazine, are actually strong sedatives and have been used as such. All of the anti-histamines have some sedative effect. Kwells, which consist of hyoscine, usually do not make you drowsy, although it is possible. Also, they are quick-acting and can be dissolved in the mouth which is easier than swallowing if you feel sick.

Seabands have no adverse effects at all, but then they don't actually do anything!

The injections from the ship's doctor are effective but way over-priced. If only you could take your own and find someone on board to inject you with it.

The injection from the ship's Dr is no more long lasting than anything taken orally, none of the antiemetics are long lasting, just allows you time to adjust.

If you take something orally it can come back up the way it went down. That can't happen with an injection.

I was sea sick and took Gravol (Canadian Brand name) and put on the sea bands. didn't help me. bought Avomine from the purser, had a nap and was fine. Next cruise, took it each night and actually enjoyed the days of very rough seas on a small ship. I now get people who travel to the UK to bring me back some!

Rob

Scopolamine patch. I've used it with great success on several cruises and never had any adverse effects. You just need to check to be sure it stays on; it's possible to sweat or shower it off. And if you do have any adverse effects you can always remove it.

It's prescription-only.

If you take something orally it can come back up the way it went down. That can't happen with an injection.
Looking on the bright side, you can at least take this medication back to the seller and demand a refund.

Bottom line is that what works for Peter might not work for Paul. I have heard of wrist bands, patches to put behind the ears, ginger and of course all the different medications we can purchase for this awful ailment.

The thing to remember is that all Cunard ships are very large vessels with state of the art equipment to help keep it upright. The rolling movement is always going to be minimal and if the ship EVER gets to a ten degree roll then folks will be in seas that are exceptional and the captain would be steering a course to head away from that specific area. Somehow or other we need diversion therapy and if that means going out onto a safe area of upper deck, then that may work as looking out to sea for some folks helps.

If you want reassurance then look at any footage of a Cunard ship sailing in storm, or hurricane force winds and look at the negligible amount of roll these ships have, it is amazing just how stable they are.

When you can,

and the horizon, then the minimal amount of roll. The ship will obviously be going up and down but most of that spray is caused by the ship crashing through waves as opposed to riding over them.

This is an alleged hurricane which is not something we will encounter every day of the week :)

A large, modern cruise ship is extremely stable compared to the older ocean liners but they cannot ignore nature, they can however use technology to make our travelling that more comfortable.

I've been cruising seriously for over 16 years, so I invested in a Relief Band (at $80 US) after a particular horribly rough cruise. It has been field tested on the ferry to and from Cozumel and the mainland where they regularly hand out the barf bags before leaving the dock. Across the Atlantic and especially the north Atlantic near Iceland. I've had no sea sickness while using it.

No side effects, can drink alcohol, BUT no swimming or showering/bathing with it. It send a tiny electric shock into the median nerve. Painless. Google Relief Band to find out more info.

Best investment I've ever made. I got the one where you change batteries and take care of it. I've had mine over 12 years and it's still working.

Good luck, Brigid-

My DD suffers from 1st day mal-de-mer. She has learned to put on her sea band before she boards ship (I believe her's works on the accupressure theory). Then, first evening, she orders chicken soup (works for her!) and has a nice cup of ginger tea and she's fine for the rest of the voyage. She has ridden out super rock & roll seas in the North Sea (from Norway to Iceland and from Iceland to No.Ireland) and not had the slightest tinge of illness. Its just first night, getting her sea-legs (& stomach!). Also, we used to run a sportsfishing charter in Alaska and always kept a "hand" of fresh ginger in the fridge. If one of our clients started to turn a bit grey/green, I would chop off a piece of ginger, crush it, put it in a cup and top with boiling water..making a tea. They would drink that and be fine for the entire trip. Ginger really seems to work, especially if you can get it fresh. Also, it is highly recommended one eats solid food. Different things work for different people, but I've yet to see ginger fail. ;)

Archived