How was the Mayan Mystique cruise?

Benita

Question for you, Happily ...

I'm not discounting your experience!

When was your cruise? Mine was a little over a year ago, and things may have changed.

Again, it is my experience (again MY experience) that this is more of a problem on the bigger ships. Which is one reason why many prefer the smaller ships ... I'm torn on that issue myself. On our Marina cruise, we only had one tender port and while we were delayed, it wasn't a huge problem. If we'd had several tender ports where the same thing happened, I would have been bothered MUCH more.

Mura

Just got back from the 10 December sailing of Riveria

Why not give preference to those purchasing O's excursions?

As I said, I fully understand the business reasons. (I am a retired CPA - side note... you DO know that CPA stands for Constant Pain in the... well you get the rest)

I understand that paying double buys you something. And **WE** did NOT miss any shore excursions. Just that when the ship is late getting into port and/or getting cleared by the local officials... when you are running an hour behind, THEN the independents are at a greater risk than the "O" customers. Just an observation. Mr. Del Rio can **AND CERTAINLY SHOULD** run the company as HE sees fit, not as **I** see fit. I am only a customer. If a company is so far out of line with what I want or need, then I would be free to take my business elsewhere. AND I am quick to add that that IS NOT the situation here - NOT AT ALL. I gave Oceania a 9.5 on a 1-10 scale and indicated that I have ALREADY recommended O to other folks. It is a great line, and this is merely getting out the tweezers and picking a few nits. OVERALL it was a great experience. FOR THE OTHER FELLOW waiting in line, who was SO upset... well the old saw that "your mileage may vary" probably applies to him.

Seems logical to me for the ship to get its own excursion passengers off first. Most importantly because they are responsible for them and, as far as they know, the other passengers who have not booked the ship's excursions might not want to get off the ship or might just want to stroll around the port, or be meeting friends etc. They clearly have a responsibility to provide tender service for everyone who wishes it, but I do not think it is their job to concern themselves with exactly when "independent travellers" get off.

This, BTW, is policy that is not specific to Oceania. Other cruise lines follow it because really they have no choice. IF the ship did make a special effort to get an independent tour group off earlier than some of its own tours, then well done! The group should, I hope, have been grateful.

Seems logical to me for the ship to get its own excursion passengers off first. Most importantly because they are responsible for them and, as far as they know, the other passengers who have not booked the ship's excursions might not want to get off the ship or might just want to stroll around the port, or be meeting friends etc. They clearly have a responsibility to provide tender service for everyone who wishes it, but I do not think it is their job to concern themselves with exactly when "independent travellers" get off.

This, BTW, is policy that is not specific to Oceania. Other cruise lines follow it because really they have no choice. IF the ship did make a special effort to get an independent tour group off earlier than some of its own tours, then well done! The group should, I hope, have been grateful.

Gerry, nicely said. I'd add that Oceania does not deny independents any opportunity to tender until all ship excursion passengers are ashore, and they offer independent tender tickets from the first tender on. However, as you implied, if they have 70 passengers (a normal tender load) waiting for a scheduled ship excursion, they're going to send them off first. If the excursion has fewer than 70, they will mix independent shore travelers to fill the tender.

If you plan to be an independent shore tourist, my advice is to get to the lounge as early as possible and get your ticket, then put yourself in the place of the coordinators who have a job to do. How would you handle the situation? (probably shouldn't answer if you tend to think only of yourself :D)

This is the same for at least the last 3 different ship lines. Ships tours always get first tenders and non ship tours go after that.

Been that way for 10 years .... I have never seen anythign different

Knowing the potential for delay, one needs to arrange with his or her private tour to expect a delay. Simple planning to begin with avoids frustration. If you want to drive the freeway at rush hour ecpect delays and do not be suprised;)

Here in Kona I see several ships a week, and all tender in. They arrive at 0730 for schedule 0800 arrival. The first tenders are staff to set up the pier or landing. Then come the ships tours till about 0900. Private or independent visitors, expecting to be on the beach by 0815 are suprised to find it abouut 0915 to 0945 in reality... Observed Regent, Oceania, NCl Holland, Celeb. Queen Mary,.... it all happens the same. All the lnes do it pretty much the same... :rolleyes:

re currency = depends.

When we did the western Med cruise, since we have a daughter living in Europe, we always have Euros on hand.

On the Mayan Mystique, all the locals took USD.

When we NON-cruise travel, we generally use an ATM and pull local currency, and try to gauge the AMOUNT to pull on how long we will be in country, what will do that is not already prepaid, the ability to use debit / credit cards, etc.

Do you think O will introduce the art auctions to the others ships and itineraries outside of the Caribbean? I am with Lyn on this one - an art auction is an art auction by any name. It's just one of those things people like about O - no art auctions, photographers, dress up etc.

It didn't seem to be that big a deal..and although many of us do not like them..you do not have to go... and with so llittle activity, esp. when it is raining and you are at sea.....they were SRO when I went to check out one day... but the art leaves alot to be desired...a matter of taste ...( bad in my view ...as I prefer Impressionist /old master style)..not white horses coming out of snowy mountains.. and fake picassos)..lol..although I saw that the ones i thought really bad had sold tags on them.

What currency was accepted at the ports? did you ever change $ US to local money? Most if not all excursions seem to be quoted in US $

US dollars.. a few places wanted pesos, happily took US, know the conversion.. a few places just made up exchanges but since I knew what it should have been they smiled and used my numbers ;-) also just ask them to give you change in dollars

With regard to independent travelers getting on the tenders for their tours, on our last 3 or 4 cruises with O, I went to the excursion desk and told them that I had a private tour scheduled and we needed to be off on the 2d or 3rd tender (didn't want to be greedy and ask for the 1st one). I was told to be in the lounge at a certain time, go to people who give out the tickets and tell them we had to be off. Guess what? We got our tender tickets and and got on the 2d tender out. All you have to do is ask. Oceania is getting much more liberal (I think) as far as independent travelers are concerned. They are more than aware that so many of us do just that. I don't believe because you are going with an Oceania excursion that you have to be left on the ship until all the O tours are gone. Not good PR and Oceania knows that now!! Arlene

In our experience you might be able to get on the 1st tender if they are not full with the Oceania excursion people

just be at the lounge when the 1st Oceania tour is scheduled tell them you would like to get off if there is space

sometimes you get lucky

In our experience you might be able to get on the 1st tender if they are not full with the Oceania excursion people

just be at the lounge when the 1st Oceania tour is scheduled tell them you would like to get off if there is space

sometimes you get lucky

It also helps if there's just one of you. I've gotten on the first tender (as an independent) every time except once.

We were on the first tender on lots of O cruises - quite often it was only independents as the O tours met up a little later. Once or twice, we shared a tender with an O tour. I disagree with the feeling that all those on O tours should be let off first -all those on a specific O tour should be on the same tender,but filling in the rest of the seats with independent travelers is fair.

When we were on the Riviera a few months ago, David Shemesh, the tour director had people standing on an orderly line by the exit when docking, and immediately let off the large group of independents before having those on the O tours leave. When on the Regatta a few months earlier, the tour director was nowhere in sight and it was a free for all to walk off the ship with people crowding from all directions, even though there were half the passengers. With good organizers, there really should not be problems.

We have not yet sailed Oceania, but are interested in experiencing Riviera or Marina sometime. Some posters have mentioned tender tickets, and I am curious how the Oceania system works. Are there continuous tenders running? On our few cruises we have usually opted to do our own thing in port, so waiting for those on organized excursions is certainly not an issue. We have only sailed on Crystal a few times, and have been very impressed with the tender operations (for the most part, not much wait time on either end of the tender service). Is there priority tender boarding for cabin categories, or simply those on ship shore excursions?

We have not yet sailed Oceania' date=' but are interested in experiencing Riviera or Marina sometime. Some posters have mentioned tender tickets, and I am curious how the Oceania system works. Are there continuous tenders running? On our few cruises we have usually opted to do our own thing in port, so waiting for those on organized excursions is certainly not an issue. We have only sailed on Crystal a few times, and have been very impressed with the tender operations (for the most part, not much wait time on either end of the tender service). Is there priority tender boarding for cabin categories, or simply those on ship shore excursions?[/quote']

In our experience you go to the lounge when ready to depart you get a tender ticket for independents then wait until they call your colour/number then head to the tenders

The ship's excursions will get priority but if the maximum number of passengers is not met they will let the independents on that tender

this goes on usually in the early morning

after the ship's tours have left they open up the tender & no tickets required

The tenders run all day

Priority tendering might be for PH & Suite passengers where their butler can get them early tickets ..not sure on this as we usually are in the lower Cat

It does go quickly so we have never had a problem

Lyn

Lyn---thank you for your prompt reply. Sounds equitable and efficient to me. And I now understand that the tender tickets are used during the "high traffic" time. One of the things we appreciated on our Crystal cruises is not really waiting when we decided to return on a tender from port...and it sounds like Oceania is the same. We would often see some of the larger ships passengers waiting in fairly long lines to return on their tenders!

Lyn---thank you for your prompt reply. Sounds equitable and efficient to me. And I now understand that the tender tickets are used during the "high traffic" time. One of the things we appreciated on our Crystal cruises is not really waiting when we decided to return on a tender from port...and it sounds like Oceania is the same. We would often see some of the larger ships passengers waiting in fairly long lines to return on their tenders!

I do not think they will take just a few passengers at prime time but maybe if there is not others waiting they will take them mid day

They usually have several tenders (2-3) running

In our experience

I do not think they will take just a few passengers at prime time but maybe if there is not others waiting they will take them mid day

They usually have several tenders (2-3) running

In our experience

Thanks Lyn. Let's face it, in the scope of things, waiting for a bit on a beautiful ship or an interesting port is a nice problem to have!

Thanks Lyn. Let's face it' date=' in the scope of things, waiting for a bit on a beautiful ship or an interesting port is a nice problem to have![/quote']

I agree

Wish I was doing either one right now ;)

Snow & -6C here

lyn

Lyn's experience has been my experience, on 7 O cruises, including 2 on the bigger ships. Normally, other than the prime times (early morning and perhaps late afternoon, too) the tenders seem to run about once every half hour, both to and from the ship. The most I've had to wait is half an hour, after just missing one. (Can't say for sure if that is how the tender in Belize City works, though, as it's operated by the port and not Oceania.) Anyway, with Oceania's tendering there is usually somewhere to sit, and the O folks have water or lemonade or something like that to drink while you wait. I've also, except once, gotten on the first tender of the day, even if it was filled with pax on shore excursions. If you're fine with going off at, say, 10 AM, you won't have any trouble at all. Also, in most cases, O asks a rep from the local tourist board to come on board a short while after the ship makes port, so waiting a while to get off the ship (whether docked or anchored) has the added advantage of being able to ask detailed questions about the area! Then again, if you do want to be on one of the early, ticketed tenders, be sure to have all of your party with you, ready to go (guide book? sunblock? newsletter page showing port agent info for emergencies?!), when you go to the lounge for tickets. Oceania's destination folks will ask if your entire party is ready, as they want to make sure all available spaces on that tender are filled!

Oceania makes an announcement about "open tendering" some time in the morning (when you simply proceed to the tendering location, normally different from the disembarkation/embarkation area). If you don't hear it (announcements are NOT piped into staterooms, although you can hear them if you're tuned to a particular TV channel), just ask someone, or go down to the tendering location to see what's what.

Roothy123--thank you for the info and suggestions. Sounds fairly similar to Crystal other than the tender tickets. One also needs to consider we most likely aren't tendering in every port!

Lyn, you make me feel guilty feeling uncomfortable walking this morning in our 40 degrees, since our high is expected to be in the 60's! :cool:

Caryn

Lyn' date=' you make me feel guilty feeling uncomfortable walking this morning in our 40 degrees, since our high is expected to be in the 60's! :cool:

Caryn[/quote']

So you should :D:D

Send some to us

At least to get us above freezing ;)

Lyn

two more months & we are outta here :D

To come back to the original question of how the Mayan Mystique cruise was - My answer: Just fantastic. The ship is elegant, the crew is attentive, the food is delicious and the service is great.

Shore excursions: We booked a package of 5 through Oceania since we had never been to any of the ports and definitely wanted to go to Tikal without taking a vacation in Guatemala.

We loved the excursion to Tikal. Two small planes were waiting for us at a military airport (bring your own paper if you need to use the facilities in the office building). Tour Operador STP Guatemala was waiting for us in the new Flores airport with fruit juice and a lunch package. One small bus (~ 15 people) was reserved for the passengers who had booked "more walking". We were in the other small bus for passengers who wanted "less walking". Our guide was very informative during the bus ride up into the hills and later.

The guides asked for permission to drive the busses into the ruin complex because - they said - we were an hour late. This allowed two passengers who had trouble walking far to fully participate. The busses went to the very end where we climbed the wooden stairs to the highest pyramid, what a fantastic view and experience! Afterwards, a table with tablecloth, flowers, cold fruit juice and water was waiting for us.

Since it was a weekend, school vacation and waived entrance fee for Guatmalans during the Christmas week, the entire complex was very busy with entire families of modern day Mayans. I have no idea how they got baby strollers, coolers, and even a wheelchair over the rocky trail.

Our bus then drove us to the plaza where we had plenty of time to explore the ruins. It then took us back to a restaurant on the lake in Flores. Before heading back to the airport, the bus took us on a scenic loop around the island and made a brief photo stop.

Archived