Mitsugirlys STAR end of the world/pre-Christmas cruise detailed review & pictorial

mitsugirly

I think the age of the internet has opened so many doors that in the past would never be open. I think back to my younger days (I'm 47 now) and there was never an opportunity to chat, get to know and become friends with strangers. Strangers who became friends without physically meeting. Ever. Overwhelming still at times if I think to hard.
Someone on Kevin's last thread wanted people to e-mail her for information on his disappearance from the boards (I think she is also a virtual friend of Kev's). I guess she didn't feel comfortable sharing the news publically. I worried when I shared what I found that it might offend someone. Then I thought about it and knowing Kev on here and how he shared with us, how could I not share? If he has family and friends who may be reading this I would hope they would find some comfort in our words, in how he was loved and how he will be missed.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

[quote name='lostone65']I think the age of the internet has opened so many doors that in the past would never be open. I think back to my younger days (I'm 47 now) and there was never an opportunity to chat, get to know and become friends with strangers. Strangers who became friends without physically meeting. Ever. Overwhelming still at times if I think to hard.
Someone on Kevin's last thread wanted people to e-mail her for information on his disappearance from the boards (I think she is also a virtual friend of Kev's). I guess she didn't feel comfortable sharing the news publically. I worried when I shared what I found that it might offend someone. Then I thought about it and knowing Kev on here and how he shared with us, how could I not share? If he has family and friends who may be reading this I would hope they would find some comfort in our words, in how he was loved and how he will be missed.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

Although I am sad, I appreciate that you let us know about what happened to Kev. He is on my friend's list here on CC and when I noticed he hadn't been posting I checked his profile and he was last signed on Jan. 18th. I thought something was wrong, but never this. Who would have thought? So let me take this moment to personally thank you for sharing your information even as sad as it may be,

[quote name='lostone65']I think the age of the internet has opened so many doors that in the past would never be open. I think back to my younger days (I'm 47 now) and there was never an opportunity to chat, get to know and become friends with strangers. Strangers who became friends without physically meeting. Ever. Overwhelming still at times if I think to hard.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

Wow, we are the same age...so I can relate. I think back to when I first started using the internet and started being involved in the "forum" scene at various places. Then I think about how things are now. It's amazing and although a lot of people don't want to embrace change, I think it's great. If there wasn't a change and if the world/technology didn't evolve like it is today, I would have never met great people as all of you.

After you mentioned this last night, I was on a search...and I mean search. I did not want to believe it was true. I was hoping for a mistake somehow. Then once I found him and seen the picture, I knew it was him. :( I did find his roll call and searched for pages and pages hoping to get answers there...but as you said, they did not want to discuss it.

I agree with you...sharing this information here was a good decision. Kev would have wanted us to know...but I can only picture him grinning and wanting the last funny word and raising his glass to cheer us on as he continues to make a great impression around here.

If he has family and friends that do read this board and his post, I hope it brings them nothing but a smiling face and a giggle here and there thinking and remembering Kev in our community. I did feel the need to express my opinion and posted on his obituary. I hope they don't mind. I just wanted to let them know that he touched the hearts of those that didn't even know him personally and will be missed very much. :)

[quote name='camz']Although I am sad, I appreciate that you let us know about what happened to Kev. He is on my friend's list here on CC and when I noticed he hadn't been posting I checked his profile and he was last signed on Jan. 18th. I thought something was wrong, but never this. Who would have thought? So let me take this moment to personally thank you for sharing your information even as sad as it may be,[/quote]

I thank you as well! The "unknowing" is the worse...I would rather know than sit around wondering. There is worse than having unanswered questions. This way we can pay respect to him all in our own way. Edited by mitsugirly

[quote name='camz']Although I am sad, I appreciate that you let us know about what happened to Kev. He is on my friend's list here on CC and when I noticed he hadn't been posting I checked his profile and he was last signed on Jan. 18th. I thought something was wrong, but never this. Who would have thought? So let me take this moment to personally thank you for sharing your information even as sad as it may be,[/quote]

There are just things that honestly need to be shared, especially when you know there are people who really care and would like to know. We all share the feeling of loss here. Maybe we need to plan a Bremuda cruise together to share Kev's spirit. Lol, I say this as a joke but what a hoot that would be. Oh my......:D

[quote name='lostone65']There are just things that honestly need to be shared, especially when you know there are people who really care and would like to know. We all share the feeling of loss here. Maybe we need to plan a Bremuda cruise together to share Kev's spirit. Lol, I say this as a joke but what a hoot that would be. Oh my......:D[/QUOTE]

I am glad you shared too. I too searched and found the obit after you mentioned it. Kev - look out for us. I'm sure you are cruising in the sky now. You are missed!

[quote name='mitsugirly']Wow, we are the same age...so I can relate. I think back to when I first started using the internet and started being involved in the "forum" scene at various places. Then I think about how things are now. It's amazing and although a lot of people don't want to embrace change, I think it's great. If there wasn't a change and if the world/technology didn't evolve like it is today, I would have never met great people as all of you.

After you mentioned this last night, I was on a search...and I mean search. I did not want to believe it was true. I was hoping for a mistake somehow. Then once I found him and seen the picture, I knew it was him. :( I did find his roll call and searched for pages and pages hoping to get answers there...but as you said, they did not want to discuss it.

I agree with you...sharing this information here was a good decision. Kev would have wanted us to know...but I can only picture him grinning and wanting the last funny word and raising his glass to cheer us on as he continues to make a great impression around here.

If he has family and friends that do read this board and his post, I hope it brings them nothing but a smiling face and a giggle here and there thinking and remembering Kev in our community. I did feel the need to express my opinion and posted on his obituary. I hope they don't mind. I just wanted to let them know that he touched the hearts of those that didn't even know him personally and will be missed very much. :)

I thank you as well! The "unknowing" is the worse...I would rather know than sit around wondering. There is worse than having unanswered questions. This way we can pay respect to him all in our own way.[/quote]

We are the same age? I guessed we were close based on what you have said. The beautiful Sakara (hope I spelled that properly) keeps you young i'm sure!

I also posted on his online obit today. His family needs to know how we feel.
How is nursing school this semester? Getting into the tough stuff i'm sure, keep your eye on the prize and you will be fine. As I have told you before you will be a wonderful healer!

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='lostone65']We are the same age? I guessed we were close based on what you have said. The beautiful Sakara (hope I spelled that properly) keeps you young i'm sure!

I also posted on his online obit today. His family needs to know how we feel.
How is nursing school this semester? Getting into the tough stuff i'm sure, keep your eye on the prize and you will be fine. As I have told you before you will be a wonderful healer![/quote]

Actually it's Sakari with an I but close enough. ;)

Nursing is killing me this semester. I have never been this stressed out before. I knew it was going to be hard (they say this is the worse and hardest semester in the entire program) but I had no clue it would be this bad. I can't wait until it's all over. We have an instructor that is "not so encouraging or helpful". She goes around telling people they should drop out of Nursing...including me. I was told since I work, I am not committing myself to Nursing School. Um ok. People have to pay bills and I have to cruise as well. :D

[quote name='mitsugirly']Actually it's Sakari with an I but close enough. ;)

Nursing is killing me this semester. I have never been this stressed out before. I knew it was going to be hard (they say this is the worse and hardest semester in the entire program) but I had no clue it would be this bad. I can't wait until it's all over. We have an instructor that is "not so encouraging or helpful". She goes around telling people they should drop out of Nursing...including me. I was told since I work, I am not committing myself to Nursing School. Um ok. People have to pay bills and I have to cruise as well. :D[/quote]

Dang it I was afraid I spelled it incorrectly. Sakari..got it now :D

I have heard from everyone I know who has been in nursing school how difficult it is (since I am in the business side of the medical side I know many nuses). I feel for you! That instructor needs a serious attitude adjustment! How dare she question your commitment! Hmm working, raising a family and going to nursing school somehow makes you less committed??? In my world that is called serious commitment! Why would you take on the added stress if this wasn't something you had a passion for? Reading her remarks makes me pretty angry so I can imagine how you feel. She is one bad apple out of the many who are cheering you on both in the flesh and in cyberspace! Hang in there, if this is the hardest, you can can do it a couple more months and the semester is over right?
Think of the next cruise.........:D:cool:

[quote name='mitsugirly']Actually it's Sakari with an I but close enough. ;)

Nursing is killing me this semester. I have never been this stressed out before. I knew it was going to be hard (they say this is the worse and hardest semester in the entire program) but I had no clue it would be this bad. I can't wait until it's all over. We have an instructor that is "not so encouraging or helpful". She goes around telling people they should drop out of Nursing...including me. I was told since I work, I am not committing myself to Nursing School. Um ok. People have to pay bills and I have to cruise as well. :D[/quote]

So sorry to learn that you are stressed out this semester with nursing school. It is unfortunate that your instructor persuades students to drop out. Just remember your almost through the hardest semester and anything worth doing usually is very difficult. I am about a year older than you and can't imagine your schedule right now. I was a paralegal for a long, long time and now there are virtually no jobs in this field. Once done nursing school you will be in demand. Hang in there! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Mitsugirlys, sorry to break in on your thread, but I have been reading your reviews and would really value your input on a selection for a new cruiser/new snorkeler. If you have a min. could you please take a look here?

[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1823057[/URL]

[quote name='BiXLL']Mitsugirlys, sorry to break in on your thread, but I have been reading your reviews and would really value your input on a selection for a new cruiser/new snorkeler. If you have a min. could you please take a look here?

[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1823057[/URL][/quote]

I will try to do my best. :)

• 1 month later...
Thanks for sharing your review. i'll be in Cozumel in August and my daughter wants to check out Nachi, thanks for the beautiful pics.. :)

Sorry for you loss, it is easy to connect with people you've never met here on cc. Afterall, we're all sharing the fun times of our lives together. Again, sorry for your loss.

Thanks for sharing your review. i'll be in Cozumel in August and my daughter wants to check out Nachi, thanks for the beautiful pics.. :)

Sorry for you loss, it is easy to connect with people you've never met here on cc. Afterall, we're all sharing the fun times of our lives together. Again, sorry for your loss.

You are very welcome and hope that it helped.

Excellent review Read it all. Sad about other cc member

Thanks for taking the time to read it and hope that you enjoyed it. :)

• 2 months later...
This review is AWESOME!!! We've been debating on booking Maya Key for snorkeling, and after reading this and seeing all the great pics...WE ARE SOLD!! Thank you :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I hope you have a wonderful day there. We loved it. Let me know what you thought when you return and if you ever return to Roatan again in the future, check out Little French Key. It is heaven there! :)

• 5 months later...

I know this is a year old thread-but was happy to see it as I was looking for information on the Star. Kim you were on the Pearl and the Spirit around the same times as I was and you threads are always so useful and full of great info!

Thanks for all the pictures! getting me excited for my NCL Star Mexican Riviera cruise in 6 weeks

I'm a pediatric RN working tonight so you are helping me through the quiet part of the night (or distracting me from charting is more like it! LOL)

Trish

I know this is a year old thread-but was happy to see it as I was looking for information on the Star. Kim you were on the Pearl and the Spirit around the same times as I was and you threads are always so useful and full of great info!

Thanks for all the pictures! getting me excited for my NCL Star Mexican Riviera cruise in 6 weeks

I'm a pediatric RN working tonight so you are helping me through the quiet part of the night (or distracting me from charting is more like it! LOL)

Trish

Thank you so much for the kind words. (Are you following me on cruises? hee hee). Well I just came back last month from a Jewel cruise...any chance you have that booked next? :D

Have a wonderful cruise. :)

Usual great, incredibly detailed review with incredible pictures...

Bill

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

how does Nachi compare to Chankanabb? Nachi looks a lot like Coco Cay to me. Are both exclusively AI? There will 5 of us and only 2 that drink. I need nice private and cheap.

Tell me more about Crusing at Christmas time. This will be our first time.

I'm having problems locating your Playa Mia pictures. Only of the Three Omigos at =181647&page7

can you tell me when you went to Playa Mia and Nachi in Cozumel?

We went to Playa Mia on our Carnival Dream cruise in May last year. We went to Nachi on our Star cruise in December last year.

how does Nachi compare to Chankanabb? Nachi looks a lot like Coco Cay to me. Are both exclusively AI? There will 5 of us and only 2 that drink. I need nice private and cheap.

Tell me more about Crusing at Christmas time. This will be our first time.

I'm having problems locating your Playa Mia pictures. Only of the Three Omigos at =181647&page7

To me, and this is JMO, I love Chankanaab. There's so much to do there and the snorkeling is just amazing to us.

Chankanaab is not an AI. It is actually a National Park. You pay admission to get in. Your food and drinks are extra.

We have cruised at Christmas 3 times now. It's nice, the decorations are beautiful, the weather in the Caribbean has always been warm and nice. The only thing I don't like about cruising at Christmas is it's so hectic when we return home.

Hmm, not sure why you can only see 1 of the Playa Mia pictures.

Here's the album.